• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Any sensible person would probably be asleep in bed by now, prepared to wake up in time for Terry's presentation, or at least to watch the video if they wake up too late and miss the stream.

Thankfully, I am not a sensible person, so I'm gonna be pulling an all-nighter, playing Witcher III and watching YouTube videos until the presentation starts.
I'm still awake. It's still the afternoon here.

I honestly don't mind missing it since I'll visit Smashboards and look at the results.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My issue with the Smash direction is that we should be going for the most popular. I mean the first 6 third-party characters for Smash were Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Cloud. Joker and Terry do not touch that iconicness.

Sakurai is leaving iconic characters on the shelf in favor of Joker and Terry. They are not even good fits with most of the Smash roster which was based of traditional/classic platforming series with multiple games (Mario, Kirby, DKC, Sonic, Megaman, Metroid, LOZ, etc.). To me, Crash, Rayman, and Bomberman are perfect fits as they fit that Mario-style character. After all it is Super Smash Brothers.

As crazy as this sounds, I also think Geno is a great fit despite being obscure and I see why he has demand.
You can't honestly be saying Smash should only go for the most popular series and then ask for Rayman. Seems to me like you're just not into fighting games. Which is fine! But there's more to gaming than platformers. If you wanna represent fighting games, you gotta have SNK. Is it more iconic, or arguably deserving, than juggernauts like Tekken or MK? No. But you're the only one who cares about having them in order. As long as we get Scorpion and Heihachi down the line, I don't see an issue.

D

Deleted member

You can't honestly be saying Smash should only go for the most popular series and then ask for Rayman. Seems to me like you're just not into fighting games. Which is fine! But there's more to gaming than platformers. If you wanna represent fighting games, you gotta have SNK. Is it more iconic, or arguably deserving, than juggernauts like Tekken or MK? No. But you're the only one who cares about having them in order. As long as we get Scorpion and Heihachi down the line, I don't see an issue.
Definitely. SNK is one of the FGC Elder Gods (since we're also talking about Mortal Kombat). They also influenced Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While killing time with old Directs, I noticed something.

At 3:56 Sakurai says, "I not going to have just any character participate from other companies, but he's definitely in class of his own."
Now Sakurai seems to want to make Smash Bros. the biggest crossover in media.
Such a sharp philosophy change.
That's partially why Smash keeps being so successful, Sakurai isn't stubborn, he's willing to change how he does things in order to do what's best for the game. No doubt he was much more strict about which 3rd parties he let into the game previously, but we're now at a point where if he had just kept on focusing on Nintendo characters, we'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Smash still manages to catch the eye of the wider gaming community thanks to this change in philosophy, it appeals to a wider audience than ever before because it's loosened the reigns just the right amount.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
My issue with the Smash direction is that we should be going for the most popular. I mean the first 6 third-party characters for Smash were Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Cloud. Joker and Terry do not touch that iconicness.

Sakurai is leaving iconic characters on the shelf in favor of Joker and Terry. They are not even good fits with most of the Smash roster which was based of traditional/classic platforming series with multiple games (Mario, Kirby, DKC, Sonic, Megaman, Metroid, LOZ, etc.). To me, Crash, Rayman, and Bomberman are perfect fits as they fit that Mario-style character. After all it is Super Smash Brothers.

As crazy as this sounds, I also think Geno is a great fit despite being obscure and I see why he has demand.
Not really since LoZ is more of an action adventure, in fact only Zelda 2 and BOTW are the only games with a jump button. Star Fox is an on rails shooter, F-Zero was a racing series, and Pokemon and Earthbound are turn base RPG's. Leaving only 5 of the original 12 to be from platforms, 4 of which being Mario characters. In fact I am pretty sure most of the Smash roster are characters from RPG's considering how many Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters there are and even other first party series such as Earthbound and Xenoblade having a couple reps and third party series like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Persona each having 1 rep.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not really since LoZ is more of an action adventure, in fact only Zelda 2 and BOTW are the only games with a jump button. Star Fox is an on rails shooter, F-Zero was a racing series, and Pokemon and Earthbound are turn base RPG's. Leaving only 5 of the original 12 to be from platforms, 4 of which being Mario characters. In fact I am pretty sure most of the Smash roster are characters from RPG's considering how many Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters there are and even other first party series such as Earthbound and Xenoblade having a couple reps and third party series like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Persona each having 1 rep.
Ok but most of those are Nintendo owned so it's perfectly ok

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Famitsu
Songs from Psycho Soldier were recorded about a half of a year before.
Arranged by Yuzou Koshiro and Vocal of Kanako Kotera.
To mimic 80's, no editing, one shot record.
Japanese version has three verses but international version only has one so the second verse is instrumental.
International version mimicked the intonation from the original.
One shot records for choruses too.
In the result, there are over 80 tracks in total. Koshiro said may be it is a new record for him.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Famitsu
Japanese version has three verses but international version only has one so the second verse is instrumental.
In the result, there are over 80 tracks in total. Koshiro said may be it is a new record for him.
Wha? We're getting 80 tracks from SNK? It would explain the 45 minutes but what the actual ****? You sure Famitsu confirmed this

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I wont lie i'm pretty worried about the Mii costumes slaughterhouse. On one hand it could mean Heihachi returns and Lloyd as mii costumes but on the other hand it could mean KOS-MOS will be one too which will mean crying for days.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Famitsu
Is that really the new Famitsu column?

I heard it leaked but PushDustIn PushDustIn was saying it has to do with Ultimate's main theme.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So I'm not actually the person you were responding to, but I have somewhat similar feelings so I figured I'd respond anyway.

In any case, the original post didn't actually say that only the most popular characters should be added. They said the most iconic should be added. And at least in my estimation iconicity is not the same as popularity. I don't think all that many people would say Pac-Man is their favorite gaming character. But everyone knows Pac-Man. He has reached a level of recognition and importance to the history of gaming that is hard to compare. I would guess, at least amongst contemporary gamers, that Joker is more popular. Likely by a large margin.

But when it comes to characters I want to see in Smash I'm much more interested in seeing characters I feel are iconic or at the very least historic. Especially if connected to Nintendo. Because that's just what I want Smash to be. It's what makes the most sense to me. It feels the most cohesive to me. And that's also why I wish the focus would return to Nintendo characters in general. Obviously that's not really how things have played out, but I guess that's really just to say in my perfect world the Smash roster would look very different.

As far as Terry goes, from my perspective he certainly doesn't feel iconic to me. It would be hard for him to, for me, given that I hadn't ever heard of him until Smash speculation (yes I know, a tired refrain). But I also have never paid too much attention to fighting games in general, as traditional fighting games aren't really my scene. But even despite this, I was and am still very much aware of Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, and the vs Capcom series. So that just leaves me wondering, how iconic a character or series can be, when it doesn't transcend the specific community built around it in the same way that many others do. I can certainly be way off base as far as how well known Terry is, but that is where I, and I assume many others, are coming from when they say that Terry doesn't feel iconic to them.

I'm not sure if Rayman is best example of an iconic character to be sure, but certainly that is why I want Bomberman to be playable so badly. He has a similar niche to Pac-Man, as a historic gaming figure, if not to the same extent. But he has also always had close ties to Nintendo, even up to the Switch's launch.

Anyway all of that was really just to say that some people want the most popular characters, some people want the most iconic characters, and some people want whichever characters they are closest to/that they grew up with. And those are all valid reasons. And certainly not everyone's perception of iconicity or popularity is going to be the same for every character.

I've said this before, but I've noticed a lot of people really just want the characters that are their favorites and then assume that everyone else uses that same criteria for deciding who they want to see in Smash. That's certainly not a bad thing, but it's also not how I operate. Maybe I'm just a weirdo here, but how much I like a character/game is only a small part of why I might want any given character. There are a bunch of games and characters I love that I don't really want in Smash. Simply because they wouldn't make sense. Monster Rancher and Suikoden are two series that come to mind. Honestly this is how I felt about Joker as well, but we all know how that turned out.

Anyway, not sure why I'm still rambling, so I'm off to bed. See you all after the direct tomorrow!

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I haven't check it myself so I'm not really sure.
But this is from where I think always the fastest Famitsu news are posted.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm pretty sure we left the "Iconic 3rd parties" station as soon as we put in a character from a PS4 late-2017 JRPG when DLC was chosen early 2018.

Unless you're Ubisoft using buzzwords to push Watch Dogs 1, that is simply not enough time for something to develop culturally and be called an "icon."

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
There’s zero way SNK will get 80 songs let alone for a DLC pack, that would make it the second highest number of tracks next to Mario itself.

Are you sure Famitsu can confirm this?

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So he was in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat? Both are more iconic. Hell they have MOVIES made about them.

I seriously never saw Fatal Fury. I live in Tennessee but I traveled often. I went to arcades in New York, Chicago, Florida, Gatlinburg (a major resort town) and others. Never saw Fatal Fury. I lived in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, yes. Hell I know Killer Instinct, Time Fighters, and Tekken. Never saw Fatal Fury. Never met a fan of the series.

Perhaps it was just not popular in the Eastern United States.

Btw, anyone that would say Fatal Fury was more popular than Mortal Kombat truly never visited an arcade in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat was the IT fighting game at the time.
This is you right now, King!!

IMG_20190913_052445.jpg

Plank08

Smash Lord
Dang it I’m going to be in class by the direct... why does this have to happen to me?
Ah well, I’ll find time to take a quick glance at my phone and see what I missed, I can’t sleep so I’ll just stay here.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Famitsu
If this true, I'm going to slander Square Enix so hard ON GOD

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Famitsu
Fr tho, if this is real, I'm excited to hear a new arrangement of the Psycho Soldier theme, it and most of the subsequent remixes of said theme are really catchy.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Square-Enix found dead in the water if this is real. 80 tracks is so much that I don't think it is true. You sure they don't mean 80 recording tracks in a single song?

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Square-Enix found dead in the water if this is real. 80 tracks is so much that I don't think it is true. You sure they don't mean 80 recording tracks in a single song?
The post just says over 80 tracks.
Could be some SNK medleys.
But I don't think it's a typo since it also says "huge composition".

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nah, we're actually getting 80 songs to choose from. Each of them will contain the words, "Eat your heart out Square Enix" when played backwards.
Does anyone have a link to where the livestream will be happening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHrapfLbpY
Here's the UK link.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The post just says over 80 tracks.
Could be some SNK medleys.
But I don't think it's a typo since it also says "huge composition".
Well, if it were a huge composition, wouldn't that just mean there were a lot of recording tracks for that particular song?

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Just posting in this thread in case anyone misses it in the Geno thread. VRolant confirmed no new characters tomorrow so no hidden Nintendo conspiracy or mis-leads.
Super late but VRplant basically confirmed that there won't be a character reveal tomorrow so there's that. This was already assumed but, since I woke up randomly again to check my messages, I wanted to relay to all of you that Nintendo was being honest unless they're going an extra country mile to cover it up but I doubt it.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yeah, the stuff about Psycho Soldier stuff is real.

Keep in mind that it's 80 tracks in one song not overall tracks in the KOF stage.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So 80 tracks, for the Psycho Soldier song.

Glad that's cleared up.

EDIT: Hopefully Athena also gets a cameo on Terry's stage then.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In the result, there are over 80 tracks in total.

Unless it's just medleys.

Yeah, the stuff about Psycho Soldier stuff is real.

Keep in mind that it's 80 tracks in one song not overall tracks in the KOF stage.
And nvm.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Anyone got a link to the English Livestream?

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Just posting in this thread in case anyone misses it in the Geno thread. VRolant confirmed no new characters tomorrow so no hidden Nintendo conspiracy or mis-leads.
Well this has spared me from setting an alarm to wake up early to watch live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom