• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyone expecting a tag team is deluding themselves and setting themselves up for disappointment.

To sum up why people get disappointed, it is typically when Nintendo adds characters that are not discussed by fans on Smash fansite, YouTube, etc. I have noticed this trend. I didn't see many people outside of maybe Steve fans complain about Banjo and No one complained about KRool or Ridley. Terry is obscure off the fact that he wasn't even discussed as a wanted character on any Smash message board
Let me introduce you to my boy Sari Sari

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Why are people so sure Ken with a hat is being revealed just because Vergeben said so? He's a backpedaler who always jumps on board with whatever has traction. He was backing Steve for months until ResetEra insiders all backed Banjo right before E3, then he switched teams. Reminder that he also said Minecraft content was coming in the form of a boss, which never happened.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why are people so sure Ken with a hat is being revealed just because Vergeben said so? He's a backpedaler who always jumps on board with whatever has traction. He was backing Steve for months until ResetEra insiders all backed Banjo right before E3, then he switched teams. Reminder that he also said Minecraft content was coming in the form of a boss, which never happened.
Because the thing you're saying is outright not true as he never backed Steve. The minecraft boss is the only thing but outside of that he was right on everything and even correctly leaked multiple E3 announcments this year

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Dude, stop hanging around /v/, those buzzwords don't make you sound smart. Also, you're making the same mistake as everyon thinking Vergeben was backing Steve when he never did.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
"Leakers aren't right they just have lucky guesses"

I'm embarassed to admit I had that mindset until Kencineroar happened...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He never backed Steve, he just saw him as a possibility because Hitagi said it; he did hear Steve's name from another guy, but he wasn't one of his main sources so he didn't consider it much. He was only sure about Minecraft content; his Minecraft boss info came closer to the game's release and even after the game leaked, he believed Minecraft content would still happen, so it seemed the boss was unrelated to his past info. It could still come as a mii costume.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Even if Vergeben just guessed half the **** he got right I'd have to give to the man that he has good intuition.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Plus,Terry has been in more games than Ryu.

Ryu:

Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2 (not counting all the various versions)
Street Fighter 3
Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter 5
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX2
Street Fighter EX3
Street Fighter vs. X-Men
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
SNK vs. Capcom
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Smash Bros 4
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Street Fighter: The Movie
Namco vs. Capcom
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2

(29)

Terry Bogard:

King of Fighters '94
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
King of Fighters XI
King of Fighters XII
King of Fighters XIII
King of Fighters XIV
King of Fighters Maximum Impact
King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition
Fatal Fury 1st Contact
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Fighting EX Layer
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
NeoGeo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

(32)

Ryu +2
Megaman X Street Fighter
Marvel VS Street Fighter

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
What if the girl the guy is talking about is girl terry
It seems like everyone is confused by terry on one end cause hes not a girl but maybe its girl terry
So one side heard about girl terry while the other didnt so thats where all this misconception is coming from

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
To sum up why people get disappointed, it is typically when Nintendo adds characters that are not discussed by fans on Smash fansite, YouTube, etc. I have noticed this trend. I didn't see many people outside of maybe Steve fans complain about Banjo and No one complained about KRool or Ridley. Terry is obscure off the fact that he wasn't even discussed as a wanted character on any Smash message board
This is very true.
I swear this was the only major section of the entire Nintendo fandom that was actually surprised Isabelle got in. Not like she is one of their most popular character from the 2010s who even used to co-host Nintendo Directs or anything.....
Ryu +2
Megaman X Street Fighter
Marvel VS Street Fighter
And another +2:
Asura's Wrath
TEPPEN

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
What if the girl the guy is talking about is girl terry
It seems like everyone is confused by terry on one end cause hes not a girl but maybe its girl terry
So one side heard about girl terry while the other didnt so thats where all this misconception is coming from
I literally just tweeted about this, haha.

EDIT: Ah, damn, you can't see the images with the media tool.
EDIT2: oh, never mind i guess lol

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We're not getting Hat Ken revealed, that's obvious.

We're getting Terry Bogard.

cothero

Smash Lord
Oh, denial is such a gracious thing...

ZelDan

Smash Master
It does amaze me how people could still not think vergeben is a legit leaker. The dude got the base game largely correct, and IIRC was one of the first to say anything about Erdrick or Dragon Quest stuff coming in Smash.

Like him or hate him, he's pretty legit when it comes to leaking.

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, this whole anger or disappointment is kinda jarring to see as Terry hasn't been shown yet so we still dunno what mechanics he will bring. Reminds me of the whole Hero debacle.

Its even more jarring seeing a lot of people acting like kids regarding this and are around my age.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Gotta say, this whole anger or disappointment is kinda jarring to see as Terry hasn't been shown yet so we still dunno what mechanics he will bring. Reminds me of the whole Hero debacle.

Its even more jarring seeing a lot of people acting like kids regarding this and are around my age.
You're Mexican right? Tell me how loud the screams are for Terry when he gets confirmed

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

People will come around. A good chunk of people was strongly against Hero when he first got leaked, but he was positively received after his trailer. The same can happen to Terry.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It would be freaking awkward if we ended up with someone like Marco instead.

Puerto Rican bois, assemble.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I wouldn't mind seeing Terry's female alt but I would really hate if it got in before his Garou costume. His Garou design is just so much cooler and much more significant to his character.

I feel people are setting themselves up for disappointment by expecting female Terry; it's a silly gag from a recent spin-off game that didn't receive the best of reviews and IIRC didn't sell all that well. I love SNK but SNK Heroines is probably my most regretted Switch purchase.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
C'moooon Kunio!
Now that'd be a shocker, and a cool one at that. I love his games.

It would be freaking awkward if we ended up with someone like Marco instead.

Puerto Rican bois, assemble.
I may want Terry more overall, but I can't lie, Dharkon being blasted with a HEAVY MASHINGUN gives me immense joy. Marco and Fio for Smash!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I hope the direct is good and entertaining. I usually don't hype too much, but I think maybe we could see some cool things alongside Smash news. Among other things, I wish for Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD or even better, Metroid 5.

I think you have a point, but that doesn't mean the character isn't deserving to be in Smash or anything, at least if you ask me.
Why? Most of times those characters who aren't very discussed in the community suffer this because most of people doesn't think these characters have real options to join Smash. I never asked or supported Joker actively and at the same time he's one of my favourites, being Persona 5 one of my top games this generation. Why I didn't support him? Because I didn't even think he had a real chance. It's like Ridley in Smash 4, he lost support when he was confirmed as a boss and when Sakurai said what he said about him, because a lot of Ridley supporters decided to focus their energy in other characters who weren't deconfirmed.
I would put Terry Bogard or any SNK character in this group alongside Joker, Cloud, Bayo in a lesser extent... characters with a lot of fans (inside and outside of the Smash community) but for one reason or another there's few people supporting them for Smash.

If you look at the threads of third party characters with most following they're usually characters from franchises with strong ties with Nintendo and multiple games published on Nintendo platforms.
As I said before Dante is my actually my 1# character for Smash but he doesn't have a strong following in Smash if you compare him with for example Phoenix Wright. It means Dante is not popular? Absolutely no, he's one of the icons of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era and in fact I think that he's a lot more popular than Phoenix (with all the respect) outside of the Smash bubble, at least from my perspective. But Dante only has 1 game on Nintendo consoles, and that game came out a few months ago while Phoenix Wright has a lot of games available on Nintendo systems, so it's natural Phoenix has more support for Smash.

The same applies with Joker and other third party characters, I believe.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now that'd be a shocker, and a cool one at that. I love his games.

I may want Terry more overall, but I can't lie, Dharkon being blasted with a HEAVY MASHINGUN gives me immense joy. Marco and Fio for Smash!
For real the more I think about it the more I actually kind of want Metal slug in smash. It has perfect concepts to stages and movesets, it brings variety to the roster and the original game has a cartoon artstyle that people want more characters in Smash to have, it's perfect.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don’t want to get my hopes up tbh.

What I want: A Tag-Team 3-in-1 character where it works like a “forced 3-character-squad strike” character.

What I really expect: A vanilla Terry port, with Ryu/Ken face forward mechanics, and a Super Bar.
Well, I don’t mind either one. Just give me Terry Bogard and I’m good to go.

But I have to admit a King of Fighters team would be awesome.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I hope the direct is good and entertaining. I usually don't hype too much, but I think maybe we could see some cool things alongside Smash news. Among other things, I wish for Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD or even better, Metroid 5.

I think you have a point, but that doesn't mean the character isn't deserving to be in Smash or anything, at least if you ask me.
Why? Most of times those characters who aren't very discussed in the community suffer this because most of people doesn't think these characters have real options to join Smash. I never asked or supported Joker actively and at the same time he's one of my favourites, being Persona 5 one of my top games this generation. Why I didn't support him? Because I didn't even think he had a real chance. It's like Ridley in Smash 4, he lost support when he was confirmed as a boss and when Sakurai said what he said about him, because a lot of Ridley supporters decided to focus their energy in other characters who weren't deconfirmed.
I would put Terry Bogard or any SNK character in this group alongside Joker, Cloud, Bayo in a lesser extent... characters with a lot of fans (inside and outside of the Smash community) but for one reason or another there's few people supporting them for Smash.

If you look at the threads of third party characters with most following they're usually characters from franchises with strong ties with Nintendo and multiple games published on Nintendo platforms.
As I said before Dante is my actually my 1# character for Smash but he doesn't have a strong following in Smash if you compare him with for example Phoenix Wright. It means Dante is not popular? Absolutely no, he's one of the icons of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era and in fact I think that he's a lot more popular than Phoenix (with all the respect) outside of the Smash bubble, at least from my perspective. But Dante only has 1 game on Nintendo consoles, and that game came out a few months ago while Phoenix Wright has a lot of games available on Nintendo systems, so it's natural Phoenix has more support for Smash.

The same applies with Joker and other third party characters, I believe.
It's funny you're saying Dante as he was a frontrunner in speculation around this time last year iirc due to either the DMCV leaker pulling a loz18 or some dude pretending to be the DMCV leaker

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just an hour and a half to go. Whoever we get, Terry, tag team, someone else, i am sure they will be an excellent character made by sakurai.

Also hope we get some cool new games announced, and more wii u ports like xenoblade cronicals x and tokyo mirage sessioms uncensored

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's funny you're saying Dante as he was a frontrunner in speculation around this time last year iirc due to either the DMCV leaker pulling a loz18 or some dude pretending to be the DMCV leaker
I remember. If I'm honest I was praying for that leak being true xD
I wasn't around Smashboards at that time but in other forums or Twitter I didn't felt Dante was one of the frontrunners. Yeah, his name is usually mentioned in Smash speculation but nothing more. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Anyway I think Resident Evil will arrive to Smash before DMC, it's the natural outcome.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It'd be really funny if the guy predicting Dynasty Warriors is right and they just randomly add, like, Nobunaga Oda to Smash.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I remember. If I'm honest I was praying for that leak being true xD
I wasn't around Smashboards at that time but in other forums or Twitter I didn't felt Dante was one of the frontrunners. Yeah, his name is usually mentioned in Smash speculation but nothing more. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Anyway I think Resident Evil will arrive to Smash before DMC, it's the natural outcome.
The day Resident Evil comes to Smash, I’ll be happy. Especially if it’s Jill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom