• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I just want to say that the mimique guy is worth watching.. I'm convinced he does have insider info and is hiding behind "predictions" there's no way someone guesses their way to the amount of correct predictions he has.. I've been following his Twitter since a little before the second direct.

Here's a list of things he accurately predicted WAAAY before the second direct.. just to note I'm going off the top of my head here he may have gotten more...

He predicted K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus..
He predicted Shovel Knight getting a none playable role in the game but being in.
He predicted Ashley wouldn't be playable
He predicted the Final Smash meter mode
He predicted Ridley and Daisy pre E3

The guy is on fire in terms of his predictions and he's pretty confident when he guesses. When he's right he just move's to the next prediction... honestly I feel like he knows stuff and is pretending to know nothing easiest way to not get caught.. you don't guess that much stuff accurately the odds are against him. Especially the more obscure stuff like the Smash meter mode...

I for one am paying attention to his "guesses" he has yet to be wrong in the character department. I mean even when every leak before the August direct said Ashley, K. Rool, etc. He straight up said "Ashley isn't playable" and boom she wasn't.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that a leaker can play dumb and act like he's some oracle when really he knows more than he let's on and makes it seem like lucky guesses... if Isaac and Skull Kid don't get in then his streak will end but he doesn't see that happening.
I've been keeping a close eye on this guy as well. He "seemingly" knows these things and is not guessing.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Mimique also thinks Incineroar is the Pokemon rep, thinks Skull Kid is definitely happening, and thinks Dixie, Isabelle, Shadow and Ken are echoes.

He also gave Geno, Isaac and Banjo high chances, but seems less certain of those. For what it's worth his predictions are very "safe" and seems to think the characters who have the best chance of getting in, are getting in. He also doesn't think Bandana Dee will get in, which sounds believeable to me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What else has mimique predicted?
Well if you're wondering, he's predicting that Dixie is playable.

There's a few others he's predicting as well. Isaac, Isabelle, Ken, Shadow, Black Shadow, Black Knight. There might be others I'm not sure. (I just had a glance over some of his tweets)

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
The Chorus Kids may have problems that prevent them from being playable. They're a 3 in one fighter, meaning that if the player decides to have an 8 player Smash where everyone plays as the Chorus Kids, the game will have to run 24 separate fighters at the same time. This may cause lag, especially on highly detailed stages such as Fountain of Dreams. Karate Joe is also another RH character that people have been speculating on.
Here's the thing, all RH characters have been rendered as 2D, so they might be too, that probably wouldn't cause as much stress on the system rather than having to handle 3D models. I mean the Switch does have better processing power than the Wii U, but given I'm not familiar with specs, I'm not sure if it could be enough to handle the 3D models. But either way, it could be a possible point against their inclusion.

The only reason why I can't necessarily see Karate Joe outside of him having seniority, is that he doesn't have anything unique to him.
Sakurai's one of his only quotas is that they have to do something they can only do.
That was the problem with Chrom, as he was only being able to be envisioned as a mesh between Ike and Marth. And now look at how he's in the game, as a mesh between Roy and Ike.
Karate Joe doesn't have any innate abilities that differentiate him from the other cast members, as opposed to someone like the Chorus Kids who already have innate abilities like singing, their movement, etc.
Not saying he can't happen obviously, just find him less likely given Gematsu and the things mentioned above.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's the thing, all RH characters have been rendered as 2D, so they might be too, that probably wouldn't cause as much stress on the system rather than having to handle 3D models. I mean the Switch does have better processing power than the Wii U, but given I'm not familiar with specs, I'm not sure if it could be enough to handle the 3D models. But either way, it could be a possible point against their inclusion.

The only reason why I can't necessarily see Karate Joe outside of him having seniority, is that he doesn't have anything unique to him.
Sakurai's one of his only quotas is that they have to do something they can only do.
That was the problem with Chrom, as he was only being able to be envisioned as a mesh between Ike and Marth. And now look at how he's in the game, as a mesh between Roy and Ike.
Karate Joe doesn't have any innate abilities that differentiate him from the other cast members, as opposed to someone like the Chorus Kids who already have innate abilities like singing, their movement, etc.
Not saying he can't happen obviously, just find him less likely given Gematsu and the things mentioned above.
Well, no character has ever been a 2D sprite. Not even Mr. Game & Watch, as he's a 3D model that's been flattened, and I think that the Chorus Kids will be created the same way.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
This is actually interessting. First "leaker" that caught my attention. And that's saying quite a lot.

What did he say about Impa? :D
I don't remember him mentioning Impa but he may have had her listed as a Shiek echo...

I've been keeping a close eye on this guy as well. He "seemingly" knows these things and is not guessing.
Yea, he has a certainty on his guessing that's just a bit too confident, especially when his track record is so spot on..

BTW who ever is posting pics in that 4chan thread with the Geno pic posted this first... afterward he was asked to post Geno who he mentioned in his OP and he posted the pic already shared. Talks like he works for the ESRB.. I don't know how to feel about it...
1535814125488.png

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
That Geno render looks really fishy to me, lol, and not even because of its horrible quality. What's going on with his neck? As for Dixie and Banjo, it's hard to really tell, but Banjo's render looks off to me as well.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
That Geno render looks really fishy to me, lol, and not even because of its horrible quality. What's going on with his neck? As for Dixie and Banjo, it's hard to really tell, but Banjo's render looks off to me as well.
And speaking of Banjo, where's Kazooie?

These images are in such poor quality that it screams fake to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
From the above picture alone, Kazooie is in the backpack at the moment. I could see her showing up for moves but not during all animations to speed up gameplay itself. Basically being closer to a summonable partner for attacks.

As for Geno's neck thing, he's a puppet, not a human. He's perfectly capable of having marionette-like poses in the first place.

Not going to say this really does anything to make it more realistic, as those still look horrible quality. I'll wait for videos, but it may be at least new renders, or even some well-done mods(well-done in the sense they aren't just quick skins and showed a bit more effort so they're new render designs created for a fake. Like Artsy Omni did).

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I vectored Porky with a Ridley for scale.
porky.png

Made both versions as a proposal for a clone/Echo. also the bed-mecha's six legs are based on the overworld sprite.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that this is fake. They wouldn't refer to Crash as "Crash B." on the CSS. He will most likely be referred to as Crash Bandicoot or just Crash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With the heroes vs. rivals/villains theme going around for the original 8 or 12. I feel this would logically make the most sense.

Mario vs. Bowser
Donkey Kong vs. King K. Rool
Link vs. Ganondorf
Samus vs. Ridley
Yoshi vs. Kamek
Kirby vs. Meta Knight
Fox vs. Wolf
Pikachu vs. Meowth
Luigi vs. King Boo
Ness vs. Porky Minch
Captain Falcon vs. Black Shadow

Jigglypuff is really the only one I really can't think of for a good rival or villain. Problem too with Yoshi and Pikachu is Kamek already appears as a stage hazard and Meowth is once again a Poke Ball.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With the heroes vs. rivals/villains theme going around for the original 8 or 12. I feel this would logically make the most sense.

Mario vs. Bowser
Donkey Kong vs. King K. Rool
Link vs. Ganondorf
Samus vs. Ridley
Yoshi vs. Kamek
Kirby vs. Meta Knight
Fox vs. Wolf
Pikachu vs. Meowth
Luigi vs. King Boo
Ness vs. Porky Minch
Captain Falcon vs. Black Shadow

Jigglypuff is really the only one I really can't think of for a good rival or villain. Problem too with Yoshi and Pikachu is Kamek already appears as a stage hazard and Meowth is once again a Poke Ball.
I don't think that this is true. They're focusing on adding heavily requested characters as shown with Ridley, K.Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I mean most likely, but why does every image "leak" to have come out in the past week be extremely blurry?
I doubt people who have access to these builds only get five minutes with them.
For the most part, it's meant to add to the authenticity of the "leak", making it seem that they were in a rush or had to go through some sort of predicament to get a picture from the screen. And with enough authenticity, it gets people talking, which gives the "leaker" what they usually desire—their own 15 minutes of fame. And then there's the people who use really heavy amounts of the blur effect in satirical leaks, like someone as ludicrous as Goku or Naruto or Jimmy Neutron or something. I know how you feel though, the amount of these blurry leaks is getting out of hand.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just a ramble of who I want to see

Banjo Kazooie
Gruntilda

Team Rocket based Pokemon trio

Skull Kid

Black Shadow

Ken (Echo fighter)

Rayman

Tails
Shadow (Echo fighter)
Eggman/Robotnik

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
From the above picture alone, Kazooie is in the backpack at the moment. I could see her showing up for moves but not during all animations to speed up gameplay itself. Basically being closer to a summonable partner for attacks.

As for Geno's neck thing, he's a puppet, not a human. He's perfectly capable of having marionette-like poses in the first place.

Not going to say this really does anything to make it more realistic, as those still look horrible quality. I'll wait for videos, but it may be at least new renders, or even some well-done mods(well-done in the sense they aren't just quick skins and showed a bit more effort so they're new render designs created for a fake. Like Artsy Omni did).
I love how all of these leakers can never seem to get a clear picture of anything.

And Crash would simply be called Crash.

Fake.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I don't want people to think im a "bad person" just becouse im defending a leak.

I just want Crash in the game, and no one debunked it 100% yet.

Its just that.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Why is it zoomed out like that? It looks weird and doesn't match with the other character icons.

Also that blur just screams fake.
I was thinking that too and was going to point it out, but then I realized that Pac-Man was also more zoomed out than the others. It's still fake though, lol.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't want people to think im a "bad person" just becouse im defending a leak.

Its just that.
If a blurry leak such as that features a character you like, that should be more of a reason to be a bit skeptical. The purpose of such leaks is to bait people with characters they want only to be disappointed later if they drunk the kool-aid enough to believe it until the game's roster has been revealed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think that this is true. They're focusing on adding heavily requested characters as shown with Ridley, K.Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom.
Speaking of Meowth though. I'm surprised Sakurai never considered him for a playable character to begin with. I don't know he just feels like a character that would had at least been in since Melee considering his popularity due to the anime.

Part of me feels he could had been among the original 12 in the first game but at the same time it's understandable why Jigglypuff was chosen having been very popular at the time.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Its just that.
No one thinks you're a bad person, it's just people are saying not to put stock into it. There's quite a few characters that I would want, but just because I see a leak with their names listed doesn't mean I'm going to try to defend it or say it's real unless there's damning evidence for it.
There's nothing wrong with being hopeful for a character, but don't disappoint yourself in the end over someone screwing with PS.

By the way, do you guys think that Echo Fighters, like Daisy, Chrom, etc., were planned in the design document or do you think they're still treated like "desserts" where they came with towards the tail end of development?
I'm leaning towards the second one, but with someone like Chrom you'd have to change Robin's FS which might have been included with everything in the document so idk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Like a lot of characters, Jigglypuff was just in the right place at the right time, and not cut because of tradition

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seeing this Crash image and the Skull Kid image from earlier in the week, I have a question. Where in the world would anyone happen to have the character select screen with all confirmed characters and ONE addition? I highly doubt that we'll get any demos like that prior to release (Honestly, I suspect the E3 demo will be all people get to experience prior to launch), and there can't really be just one character left since Sakurai said a FEW, which would imply King K. Rool and one more newcomer still wouldn't be all that we had...

I feel like it has to be an all or nothing thing, you wouldn't get the character select screen with just some of the roster if you had legitimate access like that...

Also, as much as I want Crash to eventually show up, I just don't think there is any precedent whatsoever for his inclusion in the base roster. Until the N'Sane Trilogy was announced, he had such little fan fare as a character (I mean the E3 announcement back in 2016). Sure people wanted a new game in that style or a remake, but it wasn't the huge deal the eventual release of the game became. And even then, him as a character in Smash just kind of had zero traction til the March Direct announced his game, and just everyone started saying he should be in. Way too late in the grand scheme of things for a base roster choice (And I don't think we'll ever get another Sonic situation seeing as DLC is a thing). And that's assuming we'll ever get a western third party character in... (I really, really want one to happen though).

DLC is fair game for him though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Like a lot of characters, Jigglypuff was just in the right place at the right time, and not cut because of tradition
I think, at the very least, the concept of echoes was decided early on. This is because the numbering system seems integral to the game and Dark Pit and Lucina would alter that. Specific ones may have been decided later, but I honestly think Chrom was probably one of the first, if not THE first, since he was heavily considered last time and was a popular request.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So far 41 characters have been shown on the site. If we keep going at the current average of 3 per week with roughly 14 weeks left, we'll have at least 82 characters in all when the game launches. The current total is 73 meaning that there would be at least 9 left, not including DLC. I feel like this lines up perfectly with most people's theories that the base roster will have at least 4 or 5 newcomers and 4 or 5 echoes. It also lines up well with the idea that there are probably two Directs left before the game comes out. For echoes, the "safe bets" seem to be: Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, and Dixie while the pool for newcomers is still fairly decent but a seventh gen Pokemon ultimately agreed to be the safest bet on a newcomer. Nine also puts Ultimate at the exact same number of newcomers that SSB4 had before DLC. Directs in September and November seem to be safe bets so 4-5 per Direct (the August one had 5, for reference's sake) is a fairly reasonable guess too.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Out of pure boredom I looked at the part of the roster present in the "leak"

Crash B.png

At least they made sure to remember all of the announced characters (with the exception of the most likely echo of Ken). I don't think it makes sense that Crash Bandicoot is too long of a name but Pokemon Trainer, Rosalina and Luma, Mr Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer and Zero Suit Samus are all okay.
Also, PacMan picture was zoomed out from the E3 demo.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So far 41 characters have been shown on the site. If we keep going at the current average of 3 per week with roughly 14 weeks left, we'll have at least 82 characters in all when the game launches. The current total is 73 meaning that there would be at least 9 left, not including DLC. I feel like this lines up perfectly with most people's theories that the base roster will have at least 4 or 5 newcomers and 4 or 5 echoes. It also lines up well with the idea that there are probably two Directs left before the game comes out. For echoes, the "safe bets" seem to be: Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, and Dixie while the pool for newcomers is still fairly decent but a seventh gen Pokemon ultimately agreed to be the safest bet on a newcomer. Nine also puts Ultimate at the exact same number of newcomers that SSB4 had before DLC. Directs in September and November seem to be safe bets so 4-5 per Direct (the August one had 5, for reference's sake) is a fairly reasonable guess too.
I mentioned it in another thread but if we have 9 more characters remaining I would most likely expect it to be 5 unique newcomers and 4 echoes, just because I don't think they'll want the final lineup of newcomers to have more echoes than unique characters.

I don't think it's an accident that we currently have an equal amount of unique characters and echoes.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
My prediction for the rest of the base roster without DLC(if there is)

Uniques:
68 new Pokemon
69 Skull Kid
70 Issac
71 Geno

*Echoes:
Ken
Shadow
Dixie Kong
Black Knight
Isabelle

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Based on this

Unique

1. Pokémon
  2. Skull kid
  3. Issac
  4. Geno

Echo

1. Isabelle
  2. Shadow
  3. Black knight
  4. Ken

And for one more

Unique
Banjo and kazooie

Or

Echo
Dixie Kong

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Disregard likelihood for this game. How interested/satisfied you would be if this newcomer was included:

Lycanroc (Pokemon)
K.K. Slider (Animal Crossing)
Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing)
Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Hanafuda (A character based on Nintendo's first selling product in history)
Mini-Kangaroo) (A character based on Nintendo's big selling toy business in the 1970s, a business that happened between Hanafuda cards and video games)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls)
Excitebiker (Excitebike)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Trip)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Octolings (Splatoon)
Heihachi (Tekken)
Ryu Hayabasa (Ninja Gaiden)
Frogger (Frogger)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)