• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I just logged back onto Smashboards for the first time in 4 years and took a quick look at the numbers. Could someone explain to me why Daisy and Krystal are so popular/controversial?

I expected Ridley to be popular because of reasons, but didn't expect Daisy and Krystal to outpace the likes of K. Rool. Did a Star Fox/Mario sports crossover happen?

I wouldn't mind these characters being added by the way.
At least with Krystal, she's what I'd call a "community" character. She's one of those characters a specific community likes but it doesn't reach out beyond that. Most of it is legacy folks who thought that character had a chance in another game but haven't realized the ship has sailed. Other good examples would be Issac and Rayman.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Do we have a chance to get a character from Octopath Traveller? It is being hyped since last year
If yes, who?
Probably not, it's a cool title that they're hyping up but they don't really do that kind of 'promotion' character in Smash outside of their first party IPs. That combined with a seeming lack of a singular identity to crowd behind both hurt its chances. Plus it's most definitely been developing later than Smash, which means it'd need SE to give Sakurai some early looks at the game and the designs in order for him to make it happen, and I doubt SE would do that.

Wouldo

Smash Rookie
I’m going to state my (probably) unpopular opinion of Whispy Woods being a more likely newcomer than Bandana Waddle Dee/Waddle Dee.

There. I said it.

But you have to admit, Whispy Woods is an iconic Kirby character who appears in most of the Kirby games. He would be a heavy character, and like Ridley: He’s not too big.

Whispy Woods’ size varies depending on the Kirby game. He would be slightly bigger than Bowser in Smash Bros.

And Yes, he is able to canonically walk and jump around on his roots. There are plenty of Kirby games to pull material from for his moveset.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
In every single game he's appeard in Whispy Woods takes up the entire side of the screen, except for the Dramland stage of Smash, where you can finally see his full size only after smashing someone off stage.

But no, you're right, he's not 'too big'. And of course he's so important that it's just not fair to him that he only appears as a major element of a popular stage. And it's unfair that they can't take the character and remove so much about him in order to represent him in a fair and enjoyable way to both play as an against.

ETFruitNinja

Smash Rookie
Wouldo Wouldo Haha, I think I had a dream a few years ago about Whispy Woods getting revealed for Smash 4, sounds weird but I guess if I saw it in a dream than it's definitely possible XD

Fane

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Wispy Woods is not only a niche pick in general, but him literally being in the lowest percentages of a wanted character makes me think that maybe, just maybe--

he won't be playable and will continue to be an important part in a stage.

I think Bandana Dee or one of the friend characters in the new Kirby game are more likely than anything else for a new Kirby rep.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I just hope that WarioWare Gold coming out is enough to convince Sakurai that the WarioWare series is deserving of another rep, at least in my opinion. I know the fan favorite is Ashley, but I'm hoping mostly for Mona, and secondly Jimmy. I'm more in support of Mona and Jimmy simply cause they have been there from the start in every WarioWare game usually the first 2 you encounter. So 1. Mona, 2. Jimmy, 3. Ashley for me personally.

But back to my main point. Hopefully WarioWare Gold gives the WarioWare series that extra push to get a second playable rep.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Starfy's had 5 games, Paper Mario has had like 6 or 7 at this point, Chibi Robo has had 5, none of them has had a chance yet. Era matters, but it hasn't shown to matter for franchises as small as that.

The only reason I'd give Dillon a semblance of a doubt isn't because the amount of games or era, but the fact he got a Assist Trophy, which means Sakurai at least noticed him. Still to call him likely is a stretch.
Actually I'd say cause of his timing right now, Dillion could be considered seriously. And I don't remember who I was thinking was the first choice from the Wii U/3Ds era.

Also something to note about Rex/Pyra people think their likely, Sakurai and co. probably didn't know about Xenoblade 2, when they started the dev cyclee for this Smash, so I see Elma as more likely as a new Xenoblade rep. With that said, while possible Sakurai didn't know about Xenoblade 2, it is posdible that Nintendo straight up showed Sakurai some new games for the first year of the Switch to pull from. So Rex/Pyra could happen.

Also I was thinking, you guys know how gen 1 mons were chosen to use for the concept of the Pokemon Trainer, well its possible gen 1 was chosen cause of the gen 1 remakes.

So if we go by that its possible that some gen 3 mons could be considered for Smash Switch, I'm possibly thinking Pulse & Minun duo, with the moveset being off double battles. And if those file names in Brawl were supposed to be these 2, and with the Switch being stronger then the 3Ds, they could happen, if they wanted to adapt them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well that’s certainly a unique opinion, particularly for a crossover fighting game like Smash.

Just to keep the conversation going, and out of curiosity, what characters wouldn’t you want in Smash? For me, I guess non-game characters like Goku, and characters from FE Heroes (partly because they’re bland, partly due to a biased opinion of mobile games as “not worthy”) would be pretty disappointing, but I can’t really think of any actually likely characters that I wouldn’t want to see.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well that’s certainly a unique opinion, particularly for a crossover fighting game like Smash.

Just to keep the conversation going, and out of curiosity, what characters wouldn’t you want in Smash? For me, I guess non-game characters like Goku, and characters from FE Heroes (partly because they’re bland, partly due to a biased opinion of mobile games as “not worthy”) would be pretty disappointing, but I can’t really think of any actually likely characters that I wouldn’t want to see.
//Insert clone character here

Serious answer, for the reason oversimplified above, "Dark" or "Evil" versions of characters. Their movesets tend to simply be derivatives if not outright copies of the original, their silhouettes are more or less identical, etc.

The only Dark characters that I could see as a unique fighter has been Dark Samus and Goku Black, and even then a huge factor in that has been that their outfits aren't just recolors with black skin and red eyes.

WestyStigga

Smash Rookie

Any of the Indy characters. I doubt they're likely but, everyone else seems to think otherwise.

Morbi

Scavenger

Basically, if I ask a random kid that owns a Switch who the character is, if he cannot answer, I do not want that character. The only exception being Black Shadow; however, that is obviously a personal thing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Basically, if I ask a random kid that owns a Switch who the character is, if he cannot answer, I do not want that character. The only exception being Black Shadow; however, that is obviously a personal thing.
Well, that’s kind of a high bar, don’t you think? Many random kids probably don’t even know who Samus is, let alone guys like Captain Falcon or Mr. Game & Watch. I was once a random kid who owned a Wii and the amount of new and unknown characters in Smash Bros. is partly what drew me into gaming.

Not saying every character should be Sukapon-level obscure but that kind of variety makes Smash exciting.

And also any random kid nowadays is more likely to know the names of, say, Overwatch characters than the fact that that elf guy in green isn’t called Zelda. This isn’t the eighties and Nintendo doesn’t have the same cultural relevance.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, that’s kind of a high bar, don’t you think? Many random kids probably don’t even know who Samus is, let alone guys like Captain Falcon or Mr. Game & Watch. I was once a random kid who owned a Wii and the amount of new and unknown characters in Smash Bros. is partly what drew me into gaming.

Not saying every character should be Sukapon-level obscure but that kind of variety makes Smash exciting.

And also any random kid nowadays is more likely to know the names of, say, Overwatch characters than the fact that that elf guy in green isn’t called Zelda. This isn’t the eighties and Nintendo doesn’t have the same cultural relevance.
I can say as a kid, I did not know who Samus, Link, Ness or Captain Falcon were in the original Super Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

When I first played Smash (Melee), the only characters I knew were the Pokémon, Kirby, and the Mario characters (including Yoshi and DK), even if not by name for some like Peach and Bowser.

....except Dr. Mario, technically. Technically because I knew Mario, but I didn't know anything about the Dr. Mario series.

I guess maybe Link (and like Dr. Mario, this would technically go to Young Link as well) and Zelda too. Just as "the elf guy from Zelda", though Zelda I only knew her through name; never actually knew what she looked like :p.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Original Smash 64 I remember being surprised by Captain Falcon and Ness as I thought they'd of had Wario and Diddy as secret characters. Whoops!

That said I knew only the Mario gang(including DK and Yoshi), Link, the Pokemon and Kirby. That was my introduction to Fox and Samus too.

By Melee I went back to play some old school games including Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus. Finally go Pit, Wario and Diddy in Brawl. Only one more character I expected back then still to go...

D

Deleted member

The characters I knew when I first played Brawl at a friend's house:
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::yoshi2: - My gaming childhood consisted of flash games. Many of them were Mario games. I didn't know Peach and Bowser by name, I just knew them as "The princess" and "King Koopa".
:sonic: - Sonic X was that one show I wanted to watch but my parents didn't allow because of cartoon violance. Also Ultimate Flash Sonic was the ****
:pikachu2: - It's Pikachu. You can't not know him.
:charizard::squirtle::jigglypuff: - I saw them in the few times I've watched the Pokemon anime, which I couldn't watch extensively for the same reasons as Sonic X.
:dk2: - Basic video game knowledge 101
:link2: - "Zelda"
:kirby2: - I've heard his name mentioned a few times because he also had an anime that I couldn't watch (and also couldn't care enough because I knew nothing about him)
:wario: :diddy: - I saw them a few times on the internet and was confused as to why Wario was wearing a biker outfit.
:metaknight::fox::falcon::sheik::zelda::gw::samus2: - I knew them thanks to Super Smash Flash and I still have no idea why this game has Kirby and Meta Knight at the same slot.

I didn't know anyone else.

You guys played Smash Bros before you played Ocarina of Time?
I haven't even played Ocarina of Time at the time I'm typing this sooo... yeah, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I have a question for people here, sorry if it's been asked:

I keep seeing people saying that the "well is running dry" for new characters. Does anyone actually believe this? Just off the top of my head it's super easy to think of new additions without over-representing any franchises or truly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, Mio Amakura, Prince Fluff, Saki, Pyra, Dillon, Takamura, Isaac, Tom Nook, Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Pushmo, something Rhythm Heaven, something ARMS, Snip&Clip

That's all without leaving Nintendo and going Third Party. None of them would have to be clones, with only Dixie and Tom Nook even seeming plausible as clones. None of them are particularly obscure except Mio and Pushmo, who represent horror and eshop respectively, making them genre and platform representatives similar to Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer who also made it for these reasons. That's 17 newcomers without "scraping the bottom of the barrel" or even going 3rd party.

I don't know, honestly it feels like the people who say that either don't play much other Nintendo or they just want to pretend because if we run out of Nintendo it opens door to more 3rd party (personally I'd rather cut 3rd party completely).

D

Deleted member

I have a question for people here, sorry if it's been asked:

I keep seeing people saying that the "well is running dry" for new characters. Does anyone actually believe this? Just off the top of my head it's super easy to think of new additions without over-representing any franchises or truly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie, Mio Amakura, Prince Fluff, Saki, Pyra, Dillon, Takamura, Isaac, Tom Nook, Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Pushmo, something Rhythm Heaven, something ARMS, Snip&Clip

That's all without leaving Nintendo and going Third Party. None of them would have to be clones, with only Dixie and Tom Nook even seeming plausible as clones. None of them are particularly obscure except Mio and Pushmo, who represent horror and eshop respectively, making them genre and platform representatives similar to Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer who also made it for these reasons. That's 17 newcomers without "scraping the bottom of the barrel" or even going 3rd party.

I don't know, honestly it feels like the people who say that either don't play much other Nintendo or they just want to pretend because if we run out of Nintendo it opens door to more 3rd party (personally I'd rather cut 3rd party completely).
Most of the characters you mentioned have some issues that prevent them from getting in, mostly relevance.
Also, Prince Fluff really isn't that notable. If anything, I'd list Bandana Dee there since he's one of the most notable Nintendo characters left that's also relevant. And who the hell is Mio Amakura?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Most of the characters you mentioned have some issues that prevent them from getting in, mostly relevance.
Also, Prince Fluff really isn't that notable. If anything, I'd list Bandana Dee there since he's one of the most notable Nintendo characters left that's also relevant. And who the hell is Mio Amakura?
Prince Fluff is representative of the craft series and makes a better representative than Yarn Kirby/Yoshi. I'd say that trilogy is plenty relevant. Mio Amakura is from Fatal Frame, which is co-produced by Nintendo now and has 4 Nintendo exclusives out of its 7 releases. Smash has zero horror representation and we know that Smash characters are often picked to shine light on different parts of Nintendo history even if the games themselves aren't super popular (Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, arguably Miis). Who else isn't relevant? Everyone on that list has either long-history, recent game, large popularity, or is representative of a part of Nintendo's history that isn't covered by current Smash roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Prince Fluff is representative of the craft series and makes a better representative than Yarn Kirby/Yoshi. I'd say that trilogy is plenty relevant.
How so?

Mio Amakura is from Fatal Frame, which is co-produced by Nintendo now and has 4 Nintendo exclusives out of its 7 releases. Smash has zero horror representation and we know that Smash characters are often picked to shine light on different parts of Nintendo history even if the games themselves aren't super popular
Characters aren't picked for what they represent. I suggest you check Sakurai's list of criteria.

Who else isn't relevant? Everyone on that list has either long-history, large popularity, or is representative of a part of Nintendo's history that isn't covered by current Smash roster.
Let's see...
  • K. Rool: MIA since 2008
  • Saki: Series is dormant and not that popular
  • Isaac: See above
  • Chibi-Robo: Franchise was killed off by Nintendo because it was a flop
  • Starfy: See Saki and Isaac
  • Pushmo: Not really sure
I'd say Takamaru as well but his situation is different since he's a retro character.

Then there's Ridley who has.. THAT issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't mind Sakurai just looking back into Nintendo's past (and with that I don't mean NES/Arcade past) and bring back a few characters that aren't as retro or recent, but still have something new they could introduce into Smash.

I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Isaac, Lip, Starfy etc be given a time in the spotlight in Smash instead of just being thrown as Assist Trophies and calling it a day...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom