• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Most people consider anime to be an art style. And Ninja Gaiden, at least in the modern era, doesn't use that style.
It does. Its modern CGI look doesn't hide its blatant anime influence.

I can't imagine someone looking at this and going, "Yep, that ain't anime."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I asked this the other day, but I don't think anyone responded to it so I'll ask again. What are people's thoughts on Phantasy Star/Phantasy Star Online for a Sega rep? I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about that as a possibility. Is there a reason for that?
It's mostly not knowing who it would be. Like, I'd LOVE Alis Landale for example, but she's really a retro rep and not nearly as notorious as Simon Belmont to justify it. If it was a PSO rep, would they represent a specific class? It's a bit confusing since PSO is about your avatar and party makeup.

That said, I once made a fan roster for a Sega-themed Smash game and in something like that I'd argue Alis as a lock.

Also on the subject of Sega, I don't necessarily see Kiryu or Arle as more or less likely than the other. They're both the faces of long-running Japanese series that just became very popular in the West. They both have a lot of history behind them, a bunch of moveset potential, appearances on Nintendo consoles, and quiet but significant fan demand. Arle may have the ballot in her favor for now, but really it's anyone's game.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The Sabi Polls numbers are basically in via counting from the spreadsheet, though now is just checking for errors, incorrect spelling, vote stuffing, etc.

Here is a chart someone made!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this rate I'm really thinking Sora will surely be in. Not as DLC fighter 5 but beyond the pass given Sakurai's statements of "As many worlds" and "Pleasing fans".

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The Sabi Polls numbers are basically in via counting from the spreadsheet, though now is just checking for errors incorrect spelling, vote stuffing, etc.

I'm gonna wait until the official results are tallied if just because I'm interested in all sets of data, and because vote stuffing could be a thing. As a preliminary, though, this is interesting. You can really see how bubble characters and fake leaks can influence a character's standing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we will probably be seeing Sora making it in sooner or later.

I'm gonna wait until the official results are tallied if just because I'm interested in all sets of data, and because vote stuffing could be a thing. As a preliminary, though, this is interesting. You can really see how bubble characters and fake leaks can influence a character's standing.
I'm kind of surprised Ryu Hayabusa didn't make it that high up there considering he's also a common subject for rumours and expectations.
But I suppose the chart is more about who people personally want than who they think is likely...

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Sabi Polls numbers are basically in via counting from the spreadsheet, though now is just checking for errors incorrect spelling, vote stuffing, etc.

Reimu Hakurei higher than Doom Slayer? Very disappointing news.

D

Deleted member

Is this chart calculating the most wanted character section or the most likely character section?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I can't imagine someone looking at this and going, "Yep, that ain't anime."
Imagine harder then, because a lot of people wouldn't. Those look like mostly realistic looking people, just in stupid costumes. It's basically the same style as Tekken, Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter.

andree123

Smash Ace

It feels good that Isaac was the most wanted assist-to-fighter, but...

https://smashboards.com/attachments/infoo-png.180462/
Since the "New X game for Y as a playable" rule was broken by Banjo, I guess that means that Isaac doesn't have this problem anymore.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Sabi Polls numbers are basically in via counting from the spreadsheet, though now is just checking for errors, incorrect spelling, vote stuffing, etc.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I do find it kind of funny that despite a vocal segment of the community wanting fewer third party characters, 22/27 characters listed in the chart are third party.

Hell there's only one first party character in the top ten most wanted, and that's Isaac.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Mentioned this in another thread, but I do find it kind of funny that despite a vocal segment of the community wanting fewer third party characters, 22/27 characters listed in the chart are third party.

Hell there's only one first party character in the top ten most wanted, and that's Isaac.
I mean, wasn't it always obvious that that's more of a minority opinion in speculation circles? I mean, I'm personally rather against any more third-parties coming in, but I'm not going to act like that's a majority opinion. That's also part of the reason why I'm so exasperated about this.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Imagine harder then, because a lot of people wouldn't. Those look like mostly realistic looking people, just in stupid costumes. It's basically the same style as Tekken, Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter.
Sure, that lady's hair is purple and their garb is undoubtedly Japanese fantasy, and they don't look anything like actual people, but that ain't anime. Although the level of realism is irrelevant (there are anime that use that style), but there's nothing realistic about something as stylistic and overthetop as Ninja Gaiden. A lot of anime staples are present in the art style, character/costume designs, enemies, visual effects, special attacks, etc.

Virtual Fighter is one of the most grounded, realistic fighters there is from a gameplay perspective, but visually it's also anime as heck. Same could be said about the other two series.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If it makes you any happier. Sora also ranks 1 in the West and Europe and 2 in Japan after Lloyd.
Are you referring to that reddit data that has already been disproven as being a very unreliable source of information due to its small sample size and inaccurate measuring of user country of origin?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are you referring to that reddit data that has already been disproven as being a very unreliable source of information due to its small sample size and inaccurate measuring of user country of origin?
Even then regardless of that. Everywhere I've seen or any other poll. Sora's been in the top 3. I'm certain at this point he'll definitely be happening.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I was just about to ask if that was the poll being referenced. I'm aware of the issues with it.

D

Deleted member

Geno at #1 is cool. However, I'm not sure how seriously I should take that when one of the viewer bases is from a man literally named PapaGeno.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Shocked that a poll conducted in part by someone called PapaGenos has Geno on the top by a fairly big margin.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

Wow, I knew Reimu support would increase thanks to Sans inclusion as a Mii Fighter, but I never expected her to surge so much! It's crazy to think she became a Top 10 most wanted character for a Smash Bros game. We've come a long way, Reimubros

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I imagine Isaac's name will go up a bit due to people spelling it Issac, Isic, Issic, you name it. But 4th place is DAMN good dude. I'm so happy to see that.

Kinda odd to see that Hayabusa isn't even on the list. Are people just assuming he's #5 at this point or...?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno at #1 is cool. However, I'm not sure how seriously I should take that when one of the viewer bases is from a man literally named PapaGeno.
To be fair, his discord server - ironically enough - has a bunch of people who hate Geno at least, based on what people have said. I haven’t tried Discord.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wow, I knew Reimu support would increase thanks to Sans inclusion as a Mii Fighter, but I never expected her to surge so much! It's crazy to think she became a Top 10 most wanted character for a Smash Bros game. We've come a long way, Reimubros
I mean, we don't know if she's that demanded in general. The poll size is too small to say that it's a reliable measurement for the whole fanbase.

D

Deleted member

Kinda odd to see that Hayabusa isn't even on the list. Are people just assuming he's #5 at this point or...?
Looking at the spreadsheet itself, Hayabusa seems to have a lot of numbers on the Most Likely category. I can't really tally all the scores, but it's fair to say a lot of people do think he's very likely going to be DLC.

Oh, and since it seems no one has posted the actual spreadsheet yet, here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6a-yx28ECbQH18tmFXh4c7YRM/edit#gid=2062688800

Shocked that a poll conducted in part by someone called PapaGenos has Geno on the top by a fairly big margin.
Because people can't like Geno on his own ****ing merits, right?

Oh, and PapaGenos' discord server is full of Geno haters who lash out at you for even showing slight support of the character.

What benefit would rigging the poll do for anybody? Papa dosen't seem like the type of person who'd even consider that.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I mean, we don't know if she's that demanded in general. The poll size is too small to say that it's a reliable measurement for the whole fanbase.
The poll was promoted by ScotttheWoz and PapaGenos, two large Smash roster Youtubers. I'd say it has pretty good reach for people who care about this sort of thing.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Three of my least wanted in that top 10. Can't tell if I'm out of touch with the community or just the people that would vote in Sabi's poll.

Even then regardless of that. Everywhere I've seen or any other poll. Sora's been in the top 3. I'm certain at this point he'll definitely be happening.
Definitely is a *very* strong word to use there. He's definitely very popular though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The poll was promoted by ScotttheWoz and PapaGenos, two large Smash roster Youtubers. I'd say it has pretty good reach for people who care about this sort of thing.
Number 1 got like 600+ votes. It's not a terribly big number compared to how much Ultimate sold.

D

Deleted member

What benefit would rigging the poll do for anybody? Papa dosen't seem like the type of person who'd even consider that.
I wasn't arguing poll rigging. I was concerned that there would be obviously skewed results given the fanbases for each separate person. Recently learned Papa has a very anti-Geno environment, though.

Believe me, I'm not taking this poll seriously. It hasn't broke one percent of the people who play Smash and is very Smash Bubble heavy

Last edited by a moderator:
Do point to where I said that.
I'll be waiting.
...Actually, I think I misread your post. I'm a dunce, haha. Sorry bro

I wasn't arguing poll rigging. I was concerned that there would be obviously skewed results given the fanbases for each separate person. Recently learned Papa has a very anti-Geno environment, though.

Believe me, I'm not taking this poll seriously. It hasn't broke one percent of the people who play Smash and is very Smash Bubble heavy
Oh okay. That's reasonable

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Number 1 got like 600+ votes. It's not a terribly big number compared to how much Ultimate sold.
Contrary to what you may think, the vast majority of people who buy Smash are not into heavy roster speculation and are just satisfied with having Pikachu fight Kirby.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Literally nobody said he rigged the poll.

It's just PapaGenos is followed by a significant part of Geno support and that means a poll he conducts will at least be partially biased towards Geno. It's about the audience that he promoted the poll.

D

Deleted member

Contrary to what you may think, the vast majority of people who buy Smash are not into heavy roster speculation and are just satisfied with having Pikachu fight Kirby.
Which goes to say that this poll isn't a good metric for the average Smash player if it's only based on Smash speculation nerds like us.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Damn Layton BARELY made it to the top 20 :/
Honestly I wouldn't even count Waluigi and Isaac though, I personally believe AT will remain ATs anyway, but whatever...
Kinda surprised Doom Slayer isn't higher than Shantae though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom