• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just feel like Ken is such a waste of slot.
Bring Akuma or Sakura, at least their moves and mannerisms are quite different from Ryu.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I just feel like Ken is such a waste of slot.
Bring Akuma or Sakura, at least their moves and mannerisms are quite different from Ryu.
He wouldn't be wasting a slot at all if all they needed to do was straight up copy/paste Ryu's moveset onto him.

He'd probably take the most minimal effort to implement, so why not I guess.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
He wouldn't be wasting a slot at all if all they needed to do was straight up copy/paste Ryu's moveset onto him.

He'd probably take the most minimal effort to implement, so why not I guess.
Guess my wording should be used a bit differently before someone comes inn and; "Echoes does not take up developement time or gets priority over you wanted, therefore not a waste", I'm one of them, and using the word slot might have given over the wrong idea, so I'll try again;

Ken would be boring as hell, and brings no joy for me personally, which I think Akuma, who is a villain, who could bring emphasis on the evil satsu no hado and Evil Ryu for some sort of "Spirits" mode. He would require some unique animation and would be (personally) more badass than red ryu.

Sakura is another one who would need new animations, which works differently from Ryu. She would be the female version to Ryu, with different animation, voice and mannarism. An excellent addition over red ryu.

I guess that explained it better why I think Ken is the wasted slot, compared to Gouki and Sakura.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ken is basically the original fighting game echo, which is why the role suits him so well. Sakura's moves don't match up to Ryu's the way Ken's do, so she would be an odd fit.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Just a side comment,
RoFL at the fact that people thought Sora wouldn't be able to join smash because they thought Disney wouldn't let Sora be punched.
:joyful:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Ken is just about as 1:1 a clone of Ryu as you can get.

Fundamentally Akuma, while being a shoto style, has different regular moves and a couple different special moves

Unless they decide to animate completely different A input moves, but I doubt that since that probably breaks the point of being an echo.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Multi hit Tatsu, new final smashes, flaming multihit Shoryuken, new front smash, maybe a new down b, lot of little tweaks could make Ken an interesting choice.

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
I would love to see Grovyle enter the game before any more Pokemon reps get in. The Mystery dungeons series was the best thing to come out of Pokemon, and yet smash completely left them in the dust. I think smash 5 is the perfect chance to give some of the side games a chance to shine, like by giving Kirby and Yoshi their wool forms, and adding in the likes of paper Mario and some of the mystery Dungeon Pokemon, such as Manaphy, Creselia, Darkria, and Grovyle. They would be my personal top fournext Pokemon I want to see in Smash.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
The Mystery dungeons series was the best thing to come out of Pokemon, and yet smash completely left them in the dust.
None of the Pokemon spin-offs have seen any sort of representation other than the Stadium games.

I think it's mostly because Gamefreak themselves don't really have much to do with the spin-offs, iirc.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Hat in Time which will be coming to the Switch features a Banjo costume....hmmm....

Looks Microsoft has little problem with Banjo material on a Nintendo platform. It really is up to Sakurai at this point, and with his dedication to fan favorites this go around and with Banjo and Kazooie’s domination of the Smash Ballot back in 2015...I don’t know guys, it still seems too good to be true, but the stars are lining up

TBone06

Smash Ace
Hat in Time which will be coming to the Switch features a Banjo costume....hmmm....

Looks Microsoft has little problem with Banjo material on a Nintendo platform. It really is up to Sakurai at this point, and with his dedication to fan favorites this go around and with Banjo and Kazooie’s domination of the Smash Ballot back in 2015...I don’t know guys, it still seems too good to be true, but the stars are lining up
Do you have a source for this?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It tells us they have little problem with Banjo cameos. This isn't the same thing as agreeing to license him to be more than a costume. Let's not jump the gun with this information.

And we don't really have any evidence that he "dominated the ballot" at all. I'm sure he had a high amount of votes, but that's just a guess.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
You know guys, Minecraft did start as an indie title, so.....

Guess my wording should be used a bit differently before someone comes inn and; "Echoes does not take up developement time or gets priority over you wanted, therefore not a waste", I'm one of them, and using the word slot might have given over the wrong idea, so I'll try again;

Ken would be boring as hell, and brings no joy for me personally, which I think Akuma, who is a villain, who could bring emphasis on the evil satsu no hado and Evil Ryu for some sort of "Spirits" mode. He would require some unique animation and would be (personally) more badass than red ryu.

Sakura is another one who would need new animations, which works differently from Ryu. She would be the female version to Ryu, with different animation, voice and mannarism. An excellent addition over red ryu.

I guess that explained it better why I think Ken is the wasted slot, compared to Gouki and Sakura.
I can’t believe you’d go after them first, Chun Li really should have been the second Street Fighter rep as she appears with Ryu in every Capcom crossover, so it feels strangely hollow to not have her along side him in Smash.
So since the last direct I've revised my remaining character predictions.

Unique Newcomers:
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Isaac
-Gen 7 Pokemon
-(Possibly) Rhythm Heaven Rep

Echo Fighters:
-Isabelle (Villager)
-Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
-Shadow (Sonic)
-Impa (Sheik)
Great list, though I think you’re missing Bandana Dee, he was 2nd on the ballot in Japan (excluding veterans), so I think he’s pretty highly likely. He’s also one of the main 4 top threads on Smash Boards, coming in 4th behind Issac.

Also I would think that both Ken and Mrs. Pac-Man could be echoes.

Crank4Smash

Smash Rookie
You know guys,

Great list, though I think you’re missing Bandana Dee, he was 2nd on the ballot in Japan (excluding veterans), so I think he’s pretty highly likely. He’s also one of the main 4 top threads on Smash Boards, coming in 4th behind Issac.

4th? Aren't Issac and Bandana Dee respectively the 1st and 2nd top threads for newcomers now that Ashley is out of the running? (Sorry to all the Ashley fans out there.)

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It tells us they have little problem with Banjo cameos. This isn't the same thing as agreeing to license him to be more than a costume. Let's not jump the gun with this information.

And we don't really have any evidence that he "dominated the ballot" at all. I'm sure he had a high amount of votes, but that's just a guess.

And even then, it's not like this is something that was made as a deal from the license. It's literally a mod on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1192834191

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
What are your numbers based off of? This website?

PS - no snark intended, just curious as I haven’t seen many Ballot-era polls with Ashley high, and I know she has the 2nd most replies for any speculation thread on this site

Last edited:

MightyArcaninez

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-8917-7158
Switch FC
SW-1767-8025-0414
I wanna spark a discussion. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Anyone? I'm sure this discussion has happened but I love this game too much for it not to get another rep. Also the Monster Hunter, Rathalos got added as a boss AND assist trophy so the Monster Hunter should get added, right?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wanna spark a discussion. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Anyone? I'm sure this discussion has happened but I love this game too much for it not to get another rep. Also the Monster Hunter, Rathalos got added as a boss AND assist trophy so the Monster Hunter should get added, right?
Rex & Pyra are almost certainly DLC, it's just that their timing did not line up well with the project plan, as well as the fan service nature of this game working against newer characters. As for a monster hunter, I sadly don't think we will get a rep. Sakurai would have revealed a character alongside the Rathalos stuff, as most of the shock factor is lost now that we know that the IP is involved. I think the MH series is just gonna be represented by it's most famous monster.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
What are your numbers based off of? This website?

PS - no snark intended, just curious as I haven’t seen many Ballot-era polls with Ashley high, and I know she has the 2nd most replies for any speculation thread on this site
Someone did a data poll for the SmashBoards website to see the top threads, which came out to be those 4 in that order.

As for the Ballot, Source Gaming took the poll from Japan that found the top four to be Krool, Wolf, Snake, and Bandana Waddle Dee.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I would put Bandana Dee in, I definitely would, but we've only got one miniscule hint towards his inclusion.

I think he's super likely, but I'm not sure if it'll happen in the base roster. More or less being a bit skeptical here. I definitely have a feeling the characters I listed have a much better shot just due to hints and trends. If I felt like there would be ~10 unique newcomers, I'd put Bandana Dee in for sure. I just don't think we'll get more than 9, and we'll get a handful of fillers being Echoes.

prowler12

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7518-9066-3502
mallow foaw smash yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Crank4Smash

Smash Rookie
Crank4Smash Crank4Smash He was 4th

Krool was 1st
Ashley was 2nd
Issac was 3rd
Bandana Waddle Dee was 4th
Ah okay. But what I meant was that in the case of the characters who haven't been confirmed yet as either a playable figher (K. Rool) or an AT (Ashley) Issac and Bandana Dee are the top runners in character threads.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
We all kinda assumed it, but it's nice to hear it from the man himself.

I think this is a huge boost for fans of the big names like Isaac, Geno, and Bandana Dee. And the likes of Banjo and Shantae potentially, but if the speculation of no more stages is true, that might hurt any new third-party series from getting in.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Updated my chess set with K. Rool.
View attachment 159137
I understand the mewtwo/Giygue comparison, but I feel it would make more sense to have Pikachu occupy the same column despite Ness and Lucas being from the same series.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

CONFIRMED!!!

They are using the ballot to Select the newcomers for this one
Yeah I read about it earlier. It certainly helps the big names like Banjo, Geno, and more.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
We all kinda assumed it, but it's nice to hear it from the man himself.

I think this is a huge boost for fans of the big names like Isaac, Geno, and Bandana Dee. And the likes of Banjo and Shantae potentially, but if the speculation of no more stages is true, that might hurt any new third-party series from getting in.
Fortunately we already managed to disprove the stage theory.

When talking about the Stage Count in the Direct they were using Present tense instead of Past tense.

Graizen

Smash Champion
There will be a Special Digimon Livestream on September 14!
And people said the next Direct would happen on September!
Maybe...

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
If sakurai is really using the ballot then we could very well see the likes of Rayman, Banjo, bandana Dee, and other names that were very popular! (Except Indies)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just wanted to share a wild theory that may tell us who the other characters are.......by looking at the music.

So, as everyone knows the website updates every Wednesday and adds a new track. So far, its always been a different series, with the only overlap being the ones without a series (Noisy Notebook and the Galaga song). However, songs related to the character's series are added soon after the character was announced. Splatoon and Metroid were the first to get songs added and Castlevania and Gangplank Galleon were added right after that. Now, you may think that its just a coincidence since there could always be a repeat or a character doesn't have to added added with music soon after. On the second point, it would be strange as, at least with the last two characters, their music was shown off soon after they were announced; Castlevania was the same day. Even if this is true, couldn't you have a repeat? So say a song from a series is announced and then another added with a character. While that's still possible, I don't think it is the case based on how it works out. Let me explain.

To make my case, let me present a few points

• So far, there have been no duplication of series. So, there aren't two Splatoon songs on the site for instance.
  • There are 31 series in Super Smash Bros as of writing this
  • There have been 13 songs on the site
  • There are 15 Wednesdays until Dec 7th
  • For all intensive purposes, this is as of August 22nd 2018.
So far, the following series have a song on the site: DK, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, MGS, Megaman, Street Fighter, Splatoon, Castlevania
Also, there are two other songs on the site that don't have a series: Noisy Notebook and Galaga Medley. I assume these go with Wii Fit and Pac-Man respectively.

The following series do not have a song: Mario, Yoshi, Star Fox, Pokemon, Earthbound, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, Kid Icarus, Wario Ware, Pikmin, Sonic, Gyromite, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Bayonetta (as noted above, Wii Fit and Pac-Man don't have songs either)

So there are 18 series left without a song (or at least a song related to them). But there are only 15 weeks left right. Well if we exclude the classic series and Final Fantasy (as we know it only has the two songs from Smash 4), that leaves 13 series that will likely have a song. There are two things we can take from here:
First, its very likely there will be at least one new series. This isn't unusual as each game has added a series towards the end. Olimar (Pikmin) and Shulk (Xenoblade) were the last two characters shown off before the game's release. Smash generally announces characters in an anti-climatic order with the more popular characters upfront and the lesser known or less popular ones later. So, with the 13 series, we will likely have one classic song and a song from a new series which makes up the 15.. For references, Duck Hunt does have a new song in their little trailer. I expect the series could be Rhythm Heaven (as a character was planned for Smash 4), ARMS or a guest character of some kind.
Second, we can theorize is what series will get new characters. Consider the series and the characters a lot of people talk about. Shadow. Well, Sonic hasn't had a song yet. Isabelle. Same for Animal Crossing. There isn't a Pokemon song either. Same for Mario (which could relate to Geno). Of course, not all of these will have characters attached to them (such as Star Fox or Wario Ware). So with these in mind, the characters that seem possible (including echoes) would be Geno (Mario), Gen 7 Pokemon, Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog), Isabelle (Animal Crossing), Elma or Rex (Xenoblade) and Jeanne (Bayonetta). Likewise, I don't think Skull Kid (Zelda) Bandanna Dee (Kirby) or Ken (Street Fighter) wont happen as music would have been saved for them (and both Skull Kid and Ken have songs that could be used for them).

Now, this could be totally wrong, but what I find interesting is these fit perfectly. I didn't have to finagle anything to come to the 13 series number and it seems to play out perfectly where each series that could reasonably have a song will get one on the site. There has also been a big emphasis on the series as you can organize the character page by series and they spoke about series during the E3 showcase. A lot of Smash theories are nothing than needless speculation and tend to be wrong, but hopefully you liked it. Thoughts??

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
One thing I think people are really sleeping on is that the majority of Lloyd's moveset is already in the game - they rep a massive franchise with over 25 million in sales and considerable pull both inside and outside the gaming public of Japan by just adding a model and one unique special.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
One thing I think people are really sleeping on is that the majority of Lloyd's moveset is already in the game - they rep a massive franchise with over 25 million in sales and considerable pull both inside and outside the gaming public of Japan by just adding a model and one unique special.
Are his moves on Mii swordfighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom