• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Agumon could have a BlackAgumon echo that evolves to BlackWarGreymon.
People love BlackWarGreymon.
I think Black Agumon could fit the same way Alph and the Koopalings does.
I don't think he needs to be his own character.

Agumon would been epic tho.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think Black Agumon could fit the same way Alph and the Koopalings does.
I don't think he needs to be his own character.

Agumon would been epic tho.
Yeah you are right...
If you like Agumon for Smash , join us in his official topic!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Safe bets

Skull kid
Geno
Pokémon rep
Didn’t see that coming rep

Echos
Shadow
Isabelle
Ken
Dixie Kong

Possible

Isaac
Banjo and kazooie
A Pokémon from gen 3 & 5 &7

Echos
Black knight

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think we've started to get a little too on the Banjo Kazooie hype train recently (The Smash speculation community as a whole). Yes, he is an insanely popular choice and request to many fans. He is just that iconic for fans of the N64 era. But ever since King K Rool people have been severely overestimating his chances I believe.

First off, King K Rool was Rare created, but continued to be Nintendo owned. I think a lot of people know that here, but I've seen it used as an argument already. Second, the Microsoft/Nintendo relationship is likely a lot more complex than a typical third party relationship. They are competing companies (Regardless of how much Nintendo pretends they aren't) with lots of interests vying for different things. Phil Spencer doesn't speak for the entirety of the company and its choices, so his allowing the character in is still several steps removed from a confirmation of the character.

This is a Smash that is using the ballot and pandering to longtime fans, no doubt about that (Finally). And Banjo Kazooie had to do well, but treating him like a lock for the lineup? That's a bit of a stretch at this point. The Microsoft/Nintendo relationship for cross play has been great, but it also serves the purpose of playing good PR for both of them and hitting Sony hard for not supporting the idea of cross play. I don't think you can read in to that as at all relevant to Smash. The Halo content in Minecraft also results of that cross play and the way they're taking Minecraft forward as one universal system on all platforms that support it. Minecraft is it's own entity at this point despite Microsoft now having ownership of it. So, again, I don't think any of those recent events necessarily help or hurt his chances.

I will say Nintendo and Microsoft have been behaving very well recently, doing lots of things to try and please fans in a myriad of ways. That's one of the bigger arguments I'll give towards Banjo Kazooie in Smash. He was popular in the ballot, and absolutely is still a huge request. And Sakurai is by far the mad man who is most likely to try to give fans what they want through a crazy and complicated licensing deal to get him in.

I want to be absolutely wrong, and would celebrate the arrival of Banjo Kazooie with so much fanfare. He's a huge part of my childhood playing on the N64 that I pretty much bought just to play the original and Goldeneye. But the way a lot of people are treating him as a lock for the base roster feels just a little bit too much like wishful thinking. He has the best chance he's ever had, and that in of itself is amazing, but let's keep that particular expectation in check for now. He absolutely deserves it, and the fans want it, but let's hold back a little on that excitement for the time being.
I agree. It seems weird that everyone now totally expects Banjo. There are a few things I want to add
  • Banjo does fairly well in opinion polls but was never take high or high enough to to be on the radar.
  • With one exception, all the content added that is not Nintendo is from a few publishers: Capcom, Sega, Square, Namco, and Konami. I expect this was done to make licensing easier/cheaper. Nintendo would have to license with a whole new company for a character that is less popular than others they already have access too. On the same note, Snake being brought back was likely a big reason we got Simon
  • I think people over emphasize the ballot. Obviously Simon wasn't a ballot pick based on fan polls. And a lot of the popular characters are assist trophies. So I think people may be looking too much into it. We'll have to see with the other picks, but to think it will ONLY be ballot picks would be wrong,

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I agree. It seems weird that everyone now totally expects Banjo. There are a few things I want to add
  • Banjo does fairly well in opinion polls but was never take high or high enough to to be on the radar.
  • With one exception, all the content added that is not Nintendo is from a few publishers: Capcom, Sega, Square, Namco, and Konami. I expect this was done to make licensing easier/cheaper. Nintendo would have to license with a whole new company for a character that is less popular than others they already have access too. On the same note, Snake being brought back was likely a big reason we got Simon
  • I think people over emphasize the ballot. Obviously Simon wasn't a ballot pick based on fan polls. And a lot of the popular characters are assist trophies. So I think people may be looking too much into it. We'll have to see with the other picks, but to think it will ONLY be ballot picks would be wrong,
Yeah. It was clear right from the start that not every newcomer was going to be a ballot pick.

Lightspeed53

Smash Rookie
First of all, thank you EricTheGamerman for that sobering reminder that no one can truly predict Sakurai, or the hurdles he is or is not capable of jumping through. Also, due to characters like Skull Kid and Bandanna Dee, I’ve included another slot in my rating chart: Game of Prominence, or GoP. With that in mind, onto my next 5 ratings:

6. Geno
GoO: Super Mario RPG
GoP: Super Mario RPG
Geno is another one of those big, big names from the Smash Ballot, so big so as to warrant a Mii Fighter costume. On that same vein, we also have another fighter around that was previously a Mii... King K. Rool. Geno is almost bigger than Banjo & Kazooie in terms of likelihood, and in some cases popularity. I myself am rather unfamiliar with the character, but I still think it would be cool to see him in the game. Once again, no one can predict Sakurai, but:

Chance: 90%
Want: 50%

7. Rayman
GoO: Rayman
GoP: Rayman
Rayman is another mascot, seeing a lot of popularity in the late 00’s with the newer trilogies he got. He has a decent presence with Nintendo and even had a trophy in Smash3DS, so I think his chances are decent, to say the least. Granted, Rayman is competing with the Rabbids and Ezio from Assassin’s Creed for the Ubisoft rep spot, but I think Rayman fits better as a fighter than they do. As such:

Chance: 80%
Want: 80%

8. Waluigi
GoO: Super Mario Tennis
GoP: Mario All-Stars Tennis
Waluigi is also a big name being thrown around, much to my dismay. He’s been turned into a meme, and for that reason, I dislike him strongly. But, I’ll play devil’s advocate and admit that he would have a decent chance and an interesting moveset. So:

Chance: 50%
Want: 0%

9. Steve
GoO: Minecraft
GoP: Minecraft
It’s undeniable the effect Minecraft has had on the gaming community, even if the fanbase is a little toxic. Now, I’m not suggesting that Steve should get in over Banjo & Kazooie, but I do think he would fit better than Master Chief. In the same way that Richter was revealed alongside Simon, I think it would be cool if Nintendo announced B&K, then during the same trailer, revealed Steve as an echo of Link or Villager, and as a second Microsoft rep. Steve would be amazing in Smash, having a final smash featuring the Ender Dragon, and alt skins could feature Alex, a few famous YouTubers like Captain Sparklez, Yogscast and the Achievement Hunters, and the Xbox skin for Master Chief, nodding to the one Microsoft mascot that didn’t get in. So:

Chance: 40%
Want: 90%

10. Crash Bandicoot
GoO: Crash Bandicoot
GoP: Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy
Crash is another mascot, and would represent Sony, the third video game powerhouse beside Nintendo and Microsoft. I think he has a better chance than Spyro, because, well, Skylanders, and reportedly, the purple dragon isn’t very popular in Japan, so there’s that. Crash has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to the N Sane Trilogy, and has a pretty well built-in moveset. But, Sony isn’t the most compliant of companies, and in fact, they’ve only been seen cooperating with Disney recently, the big man on campus. As such:

Want: 65%

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
You're saying that like you know what the results of the ballot were. Correlate all fan polls from 2015 to Now and you can get an estimate of where they might fall, which is still high enough to be on the radar.
Simons been on fan radars since Brawl, he was heavily touted as a likely newcomer at the time. Theres always been a fan demand for Simon, Richter is more popular in Japan. If anything Simon Belmont was lower than Banjo on the ballot but made it across due to the established long history with Nintendo and the ease of licensing with Konami previously.

Yeah. It was clear right from the start that not every newcomer was going to be a ballot pick.
When? Every newcomer is fan requested to a degree, even Inklings, which is still a no brainer inclusion regardless of fan demand but you can't deny its been there ever since Splatoon was a thing. Chrom, Dark Samus, K.Rool, Ridley, the Belmonts were all likely in the top ranges of viable characters that were requested by fans. Even the ATs are fan requested characters, just look at Shovel Knight for example.

Sure don't put it all on the ballot, but its just as weak of an argument to say that you know exactly what the end result is. "Oh its definitely not all the ballot" is just as weightless as "Oh its definitely all the ballot picks".

Its not for any of us to say, we don't know everything yet. We don't even know the ballot results or who's on Sakurais radar. Speculation is fine, but to say anything of the sort like its a fact is misguided.

KuRo_1

Smash Rookie
NNID
0113-9056-101636
Hello, Names Kuro. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents about the final roster for Super smash brothers Ultimate. I shortened it 7 as 3 of my top 10 have already been either confirmed as fighters or Assist trophies (Those being, Ridley, Chrom, and Shovel Knight.)

Number 7- Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising.)

-Now I would like to see Viridi as an Echo to Pauletana, I know she has no true chance of being her own stand alone character. I want her a lot because I really want more Kid Icarus rep in Smash, however I know that the other characters on my list are More likely So I put her here at number 7.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number 6- Isabelle (Animal Crossing)

- I mean she is a highly loved character and I could see her as an echo fighter more than her own stand alone character. Using most of Villagers move set, however changing up somethings to more fit the character.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number 5- Ken Masters (Street Fighters)

-I would really like More Street fighter rep, and what better way than with The fighting hobo's right hand man, Ken Masters. I would expect him to play like Ryu, perhaps stronger Shuriyukens that go higher.

Number 4- Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

-Now hold up. I see you heading towards that Forums button, hear me out. Skull Kid has high chances he was highly requested in Smash 4, and Sakurai has stated he understands the Want for him in smash, I would see him as a Character with the terrifying long range of Majora and the short range of skull Kid. You know also he would get his chance to haunt my nightmares in the present day.

Number 3- Decidueye (Pokemon)

-Now I know a lot of people say its going to be incineroar, however I want to make a case for my Archer boy. Currently in smash bros we have a fire starter final evolution and and A water starter Final Evolution, These being Charizard and Greninja, so adding a Grass starter final evolution would make quite a lot of sense.

Number 2- Shantae (Shantae)
-Boy do I have a lot to say about this Girl. Shantae started out as a Nintendo exclusive, with the game boy Color and was mostly in Nintendo exclusive till Half Genie Hero. In 2015 The smash brothers Ballot was released and Shantae came out very well in the end, Sakurai has acknowledged she is wanted in smash, and she is a very unique character.

Number 1-‎♡♪!?

-♡♪!? In my opinion has a high chance of being included in smash, he has been highly requested from The friggin Brawl days. also Sakurai made him a mii costume in smash 4, but he has been one of if not the most wanted character that hasn't been in the game yet. His move set is practically a given, and after the success of games like octopath traveler, square is more than willing to work with Nintendo. I would see him as a speed normal weight, with specials moves from super Mario RPG for him, maybe he could have the three stars mechanic like he had in game.
This is just my list, if you have other opinions thats cool.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Sakurai's remarks on how he chose fighters this time around(based on the ballot) really kills that stupid Gothitelle/Gardevoir leak.

I'm seeing too many people back it up simply because of Richter, and they're going as far to say "Gothitelle is popular in Japan, so that works out" despite Gothitelle being ranked ~480/800. The bottom half of the entirety of the Pokemon roster. Like... If Sakurai wanted a Pokemon Echo from Gen 5, Oshawott would be a way better choice. It has popularity and can take from Squirtle's moveset. Plus, all Echoes currently have been extremely popular among the Smash community, besides Richter, but he's a Castlevania icon in Japan. Simon/Richter was basically hitting two birds with one stone. Pleasing both the eastern and western sides of the world.

Regardless, I feel like we're either getting a Gen 7 Pokemon or Sceptile at this point. Really depends on if Sakurai chose to go for a new Pokemon or a ballot placer. I'm hoping for Sceptile, but this is mostly because it happens to be my favorite starter of all time, and I feel like Gen 3 deserves the rep far more than Gen 7. Plus, I'd love for them to release a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC as a 'newer' Pokemon rep.
Also, does anyone truly want Gardevoir? I've seen zero people request it before that one leak that mentioned it.
Number 1-‎♡♪!?
Who the hell is ♡♪!? ???

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, does anyone truly want Gardevoir? I've seen zero people request it before that one leak that mentioned it.
Gardevoir is one of the most popular 3rd Gen picks to begin with, so yes. People just didn't speak up as much before the leak.

Who the hell is ♡♪!? ???
Geno.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Alright, so I think I'm going to start predicting my final base roster, plus DLC. This doesn't include characters who are already confirmed.

Original Characters

Shantae - 50% Chance

I stated my reasons why I think she's likely on the Shantae thread. WayForward has been acting very out of character and there's been too many hints and circumstantial evidence pointing towards her. As we know with Shovel Knight, indies are being considered, and who better than Miss Indie herself? If she's not in the base roster, however, I see her as the perfect DLC choice.

Bandana Waddle Dee - 50% Chance

Another popular character, does well on the ballot, but I'm still iffy on his chances.

Skull Kid - 60% Chance

There's also evidence pointing towards him, and he would fit the heroes vs villains theme that Ultimate so far has been using.

Elma - 60% Chance

We know that Sakurai is a fan of Xenoblade, and Rex and Pyra are simply too new for the base roster. I have a feeling that there will be new Xenoblade representation and she seems like the perfect choice.

Issac - 75% Chance

We know that Sakurai is pulling from the ballot and he has done well, so it seems like a no brainer.

Geno - 85% Chance

He's been asked for since the Brawl days, and Nintendo and Square have a good working relationship now. Sakurai has hinted that he wanted Geno before, but couldn't work him in. Ultimate is the perfect time to add him.

I also have a feeling that there might be a WTF character that nobody is expecting, but I have no idea who that could be.

Echoes

Dixie Kong - 60% Chance
Ken - 60% Chance
Shadow - 80% Chance
Isabelle - 80% Chance

DLC

Ashley - 50% Chance

This may be bias on my part, but I think that if Sakurai wasn't aware of her popularity before, he sure is now. She has incredible moveset potential and I'm sure Sakurai is creative enough to figure out a reason why she's both playable and an assist trophy.

Banjo-Kazooie - 70% Chance

Nintendo and Microsoft have a friendly relationship now, and I see no reason why Banjo-Kazooie couldn't be DLC characters, if not base roster characters.

Rex and Pyra - 100% Chance

They're too new to have made it into the base roster, but I'm 100% convinced that Xenoblade 2 was popular enough to warrant them being DLC.

New Pokemon - 100% Chance

I actually think we might not get a new Pokemon in the base roster considering we got the Pokemon trainer back and Vergaben has been incredibly untrustworthy with his Pokemon "leaks". I have no idea who the Pokemon will be.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Alright I'll throw my predictions into the ring for BASE roster.

Newcomers:

- Skull Kid
- Heihachi
- Geno
- New Pokemon

Echoes:

- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Ken or Akuma (or both)
- Isabelle
- Another Fire Emblem echo of some sort (seems like Sakurai can't help himself)
- Dixie Kong

^ That's my final roster predictions. While these are the characters I predict will be added, besides Dixie and Isabelle these aren't the characters I want personally (but then again I got K.Rool, Ridley, and Wolf so if no other characters that I want get in I can't be too mad). I think this roster is pretty realistic if not a bit safe.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
While Im not going to say shes locked, I do feel 70% positive we will get Medusa as an echo. She seems like one of the most likely first party echoes on the way.

Luckily Viridi has already been deconfirmed.
Medusa alt for Palu is missing
Her VA is suspiciously silent rn despite ppl asking her about things
Echoes were added and she would be one of the absolute easiest first party echoes to add
Shes a woman and one of the ONLY nintendo villains thats a girl, with the game adding more and more villains it helps her
Shes the last NES villain left
They still havent shown off Magnus and Phosphora, We saw Metroid and Mother Brain finally with Dark Samus trailer

She has a lot of weirdly suspicious things going for her rn. More than a lot of other characters do

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Would Medusa have her own victory theme? I remember one of the tipoffs I had that Dark Samus was in (Besides the missing alt) was that Ridley's victory theme was generic enough to apply to any Metroid villain rather than Ridley specifically.

Wonder how many people would be nettled if she had Dark Pit's victory theme.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Would Medusa have her own victory theme? I remember one of the tipoffs I had that Dark Samus was in (Besides the missing alt) was that Ridley's victory theme was generic enough to apply to any Metroid villain rather than Ridley specifically.

tbh it would be neat if it was palutenas but more ominous

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan

I don't know if this detail was discussed before, but one other thing that tipped me off for Dark Samus's inclusion (other than the alt being missing) was the Meta-Ridley alt for Ridley. Granted, it could've been a callback to Meta Ridley's inclusion as a boss in Brawl, but it's important to remember that Meta-Ridley was one of the main antagonists of the Metroid Prime series, with Dark Samus arguably being the main big antagonist of the Prime series. When Meta-Ridley was shown, I thought to myself "They're including Prime elements after Other M? Dark Samus may as well be here..."

After Dark Samus's reveal, we have come full circle between Metroid and the Prime series. (Now if only Sylux was here too...)

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
So I've been spending this last week replaying ToS, and I've been thinking about what aspects of the game might appear in Smash Ultimate. Stages that come to mind include the inner Tower of Salvation (part shared by both worlds), Hima Summit, Exire, the dragon nest Rodyle imprisons Colette on, the Meltokio Coliseum, Derris-Kharlan, and maybe Niflheim.

Sheena (and her Summon Spirits) and Colette/Zelos/Kratos (and their angel skills) seem like they might make for interesting assist trophies, while the Rheairds (think Dragoon), the Sorcerer's Ring, a Cruxis Crystal/Exsphere, and the Eternal Sword all seem like they might make for neat items.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft, WayForward, and Square Enix have been really quiet on Banjo-Kazooie, Shantae, and Geno requests. Almost ignoring them since E3 and even a little before.

We know companies aren't shy of deconfirmed characters. Such as Goku and Dante were.

I really hope that means something for all these characters since they are so popular and would make for very unqiue fighters.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
This is my updated prediction:

Unique newcomers:
Skull Kid
Incineroar
Geno
Rhythm Heaven

Echoes:
Shadow
Isabelle
Ken
Dixie Kong???
Octoling???

Other characters that I think have a chance: Heihachi, Elma, Bandana Dee, Isaac, a generation 7 Pokemon who isn’t Incineroar, and Steve (which a lot of people irrationally hate for weird reasons).

Edit: I also think Lloyd Irving had a good shot. I also can’t put my faith into any prediction that has Isaac, Geno, and Banjo. To me, there’s no way we’re getting all three.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Most newcomers are counting on 109 stages instead of 103, but are there any that are counting on 103 and really drop off if we are getting more newcomers from new series?

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Please don't post one-liners/emotes only.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Chance: 40%
Want: 90%

10. Crash Bandicoot
GoO: Crash Bandicoot
GoP: Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy
Crash is another mascot, and would represent Sony, the third video game powerhouse beside Nintendo and Microsoft. I think he has a better chance than Spyro, because, well, Skylanders, and reportedly, the purple dragon isn’t very popular in Japan, so there’s that. Crash has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to the N Sane Trilogy, and has a pretty well built-in moveset. But, Sony isn’t the most compliant of companies, and in fact, they’ve only been seen cooperating with Disney recently, the big man on campus. As such:

Want: 65%
Isn't Crash owned by Activision now? Activision put Crash Nitro Kart on GBA and Gamecube, N-Sane trilogy on the Switch, and has worked pretty closely with Nintendo in general.

Hell, they even put COD on the Wii U of all systems LOL

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
After some thought, I've decided to revise my predictions for the remaining characters for Ultimate. Based on Sakurai's ''don't expect too many new fighters" I feel like we can maybe expect 3-6 new (unique) fighters to round out the base game, not counting echo fighters. But going to play optimist and going for best case scenario with 6 fighters, and I'll go up to 5 echo fighters.

Newcomers
1-Bandanna Dee
2-Isaac
3-Skull Kid
4-Elma
5-Geno
6-Banjo & Kazooie

Echo Fighters
1-Shadow:ultsonic:
2-Dixie Kong:ultdiddy:
3-Ken:ultryu:
4-Impa:ultsheik:
5-Isabelle:ultvillager:

PyroPancakes

Smash Cadet
Eh, I can't really see Isabelle as an echo. I think Villager will be the only AC rep.

I can maybe see Ninten as an echo of Ness, but Nintendo likes to pretend Earthbound doesn't exist. IF he was in, we would have all 3 main protagonists from the Earthbound games.

I think Shadow has a really good chance though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Eh, I can't really see Isabelle as an echo. I think Villager will be the only AC rep.

I can maybe see Ninten as an echo of Ness, but Nintendo likes to pretend Earthbound doesn't exist. IF he was in, we would have all 3 main protagonists from the Earthbound games.
Earthbound is a finished series, but the first two games are on the Wii U Virtual Console.

PyroPancakes

Smash Cadet
I know. I didn't say it was unfinished. Itoi has made it clear there won't be any more games. It's just that Nintendo doesn't talk about it, like, at all aside for releasing VC games (GIVE US EARTHBOUND 2). The only games they've appeared in since their respective Earthbound games are the SSB games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
https://nintendoeverything.com/yoshizumi-on-including-tales-characters-in-next-smash-bros-more/

Just want to post this article relating to Lloyd and Smash 4.

-One of the main Game leads for Smash 4 and Ultimate is the Tales Series Director.
-And the producer said he'd try to push for a Tales character in the game and felt the director would agree.
I think there is a more interesting quote from there

KoT: Many fans are dying to know: now that Higuchi-san is working on the next Smash Bros game, can we expect one or several Tales characters in it?
Y: This is a difficult question! Maybe if we beg Sakurai-san, it will happen! I know Higuchi-san would love it, but the decision is Sakurai-san’s. I think it’s still too early to talk about it.

KoT: Smash Bros Melee introduced Marth and Roy from the Fire Emblem series. Those characters were very popular in Occident, and resulted in the Fire Emblem series being localized for the first time in America and Europe. I’m sure Tales characters in the next Smash Bros would be excellent advertising for the series.

Y: That’s true. But we need to keep in mind that a character can only appear in a Smash Bros game if he already appeared on a Nintendo console. This is one of the conditions, and many Tales characters do not fulfill it. Of course, some do, like characters from Tales of Symphonia or Tales of the Abyss.
This is interesting because it does seem to confirm that the rule of the character having to appear on a Nintendo console is still a thing when we were lead to believe its not. I would trust this is true as they do actually communicate with each other.

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
If they are going to add around 10 more characters to the game, these are my final predictions for the Ultimate roster:

Newcomers:
Skull Kid
Geno
Banjo Kazooie
Shantae
Bandana Waddle Dee
Isaac
Decidueye

Echoes:
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think there is a more interesting quote from there

This is interesting because it does seem to confirm that the rule of the character having to appear on a Nintendo console is still a thing when we were lead to believe its not. I would trust this is true as they do actually communicate with each other.
We were never led to believe otherwise. People who took "it would be a courtesy to appear on a Nintendo console" hyper-literally have only themselves to blame for it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
FFVII wasn't on a Nintendo console, but he probably only got in because maybe Square wanted him in
They said Cloud got in because of fan demand for a Final Fantasy character in general and Cloud was the most notable character in the series, so he was chosen.

Last edited:

MightyArcaninez

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-8917-7158
Switch FC
SW-1767-8025-0414
I think Alm or Celica from Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes have a good chance of getting in...however they added in Fire Emblem Heroes music to the site and that makes me afraid to see Alfonse or Sharena for Smash...The Summoner Kiran might be a cool concept but probably a little harder to pull off but...I don't know...Anna would represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole as shes been in a lot of them. I just think that despite Chrom already getting in we WILL be getting another FE rep whether it be DLC or the base roster.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Alm or Celica from Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes have a good chance of getting in...however they added in Fire Emblem Heroes music to the site and that makes me afraid to see Alfonse or Sharena for Smash...The Summoner Kiran might be a cool concept but probably a little harder to pull off but...I don't know...Anna would represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole as shes been in a lot of them. I just think that despite Chrom already getting in we WILL be getting another FE rep whether it be DLC or the base roster.
I would love it if Celica were playable, personally.

I don't think Alfonse would get in though, personally. Chrom took the niche I saw him having as an echo (balanced Roy) and Folkvangr's abilities don't really offer anything for a non-echo set. I do like him as a character though, mainly since he's pretty much the only Heroes OC to feel like an actual character to me. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is this isn't Sakurai speaking himself. It's extremely easy for people to say stuff while misunderstanding what it means. This is the same reason why we don't take Bill Trinen's word on Echoes are pure gospel, though it's fair to look at as a reference due to the lack of conflicting information. A better way is to remember what courtesy even means. It means "being nice". He is literally saying "them having a Nintendo appearance is a nice thing." It is also possible Sakurai meant more than that when using the word courtesy as translated, due to language barriers. Though it's not that likely either.

The reality is, it's just another person who thinks he knows how Sakurai feels. Working for the company may make him privy to this kind of information. Maybe Sakurai did mean "Nintendo appearance is a requirement". It's possible. His statements don't in any way show that, though. All his statements show, officially, that it's just a point to consider and nothing beyond that. Cloud having no Nintendo appearances isn't an actual thing, so of course he isn't sure how he would've reacted if that were the case. But considering his reasoning for going for him was because he was the face of a mega-franchise and the most popular, the chances of it mattering is extremely unlikely.

It's best to not take other employee's statements on what they think Sakurai means too seriously. People grossly misinterpret Sakurai's intents all the time. Sakurai, overall, will make more clear statements in due time. Once the full character list is released, and possibly when DLC is finished, we'll have a decent chance to see his statements on 3rd parties. Do keep in mind the actual thing that was a requirement is that they originate in a video game. Everything else was nothing more than guidelines that can have tons of context behind them, as his 3rd party picks are not all under the same banner. He even sometimes goes for ones without a gaming history(Bayonetta, Geno, who are nowhere near major gaming icons, just highly popular characters who happened to have a Nintendo history, but neither made a major impact in itself in gaming history. Bayonetta is getting there, though. Geno, well, no. Though he has a little bit to consider, as his game did inspire later Mario RPG's, but that's more of a Nintendo history than a gaming history as a whole like MegaMan did. Even Banjo & Kazooie did more, though you'd be surprised how many people don't know they influenced other games to be made. It's not common knowledge, like how Halo redefined the FPS genre and all). This is basically another Bill Trinen situation. Thus, it's just a point to consider here, but it doesn't do a good job of confirming anything. He ain't Sakurai, or really even a spokesperson for him. If he was, his statement would hold a lot more weight than just feeling like an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom