• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm not a Tales Of fan but personally I would love Lloyd as he's been a long-time request from a number of fans since the Brawl days and thus his inclusion would weed out the fake, non-epic gamers who are very cringe and unbased.
It'd be funny.
If anyone would bring that reaction, it'd clearly be Gex, hands down

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
That's honestly the ideal solution tbh but with their builds being so different in modern RE I'm not sure if Capcom will blast back to the past for this or not. They have remade the original RE a fair few times now so possibly!
This makes the most sense. That could even be how Nintendo really makes sure the Pass ends with a bang: Give us Leon (both RCPD and RE4 outfits) along with Jill as an Echo. Two fan favorites from a beloved franchise for the price of one? Plus a classic Spencer Mansion stage and a handful of spooky tracks? Hey man, that sounds like good business to me!

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Mark Evans/Endou Mamoru from Inazuma Eleven by Level-5.

Basically a soccer player with super powers.
Only problem I can see with the aftermath of his inclusion is dealing with all the people who are going to say "see anime characters CAN get into smash!" not realising Inazuma is a video game series first before an anime -_-

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Only problem I can see with the aftermath of his inclusion is dealing with all the people who are going to say "see anime characters CAN get into smash!" not realising Inazuma is a video game series first before an anime -_-
that sounds like stupid people's problem

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That would be the same situation Agumon would have.

It's what happens when you have a series where the anime is more popular than the game it's based on.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think a lot of people think Leon is the most likely for a variety of reasons. Resident Evil 2 was the first game on a Nintendo console, Resident Evil 4 is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time and Resident Evil 2 is the one that got the acclaimed remake this year. It's all circumstantial, and I'm less confident in a Capcom rep as the pass continues, but I think Leon matters more to Nintendo and I hope Sakurai would fact that in.

Otherwise it should be Chris & Jill together rather than just chosing one to reflect the original Resident Evil
The Capcom 5 (Resident Evil 4 being the most prominent game of the bunch) is actually a pretty dark spot in the history between Nintendo and Capcom.

There's plenty of evidence for Leon's inclusion, but Leon "mattering" to Nintendo doesn't really hold up from a business perspective given how Capcom essentially backstabbed Nintendo with RE4.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
All this argument over who's most likely is pure bull****. You all know that no other character has a better chance than him:

leisure-suit-larry-magna-***-laude-ps2-frete-unico-D_NQ_NP_990566-MLB27281490148_052018-F.jpg

Look at this handsome mother******, he was born to SMASH.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Oh come on guys, I think we all know who the sports pick should obviously be:

Our first sports, horror, and Indie rep. Truly the Renaissance Man that Smash needs.

All this debacle over who's the more likely is pure bull****. You all know that no other character has a better chance than him:

View attachment 238582

Look at this handsome mother******, he was born to SMASH.
Please, everyone knows that could never happen.

Larry Laffer's getting in instead. Larry Lovage is an echo at best.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
In regards to Jill and Leon, I'm still convinced it'd be Jill. Ever since Terry's reveal, all I can do is picture the crossover logos and think of who would literally suit "Smash x Resident Evil" best. And, IMO, it's Jill since she's from the first game and super iconic in her own right.

Don't get me wrong--Leon would be hype; I loved RE4. But just because RE4 and the new RE2 did well doesn't mean he should be the guy necessarily.

D

Deleted member

The Capcom 5 (Resident Evil 4 being the most prominent game of the bunch) is actually a pretty dark spot in the history between Nintendo and Capcom.

There's plenty of evidence for Leon's inclusion, but Leon "mattering" to Nintendo doesn't really hold up from a business perspective given how Capcom essentially backstabbed Nintendo with RE4.
I'm going to be honest, this argument from your part is weak. If the whole "betrayal" mattered to Nintendo then we wouldn't have the RE games ported to Nintendo consoles after the whole debacle, and we have already a character that represented a "betrayal" already in the game with Cloud due to FFVII moving to the PS1.

If Leon or any RE character sells, Nintendo is not going to give two ****s about any company betraying them in the past. We're talking about companies, not people.

Last edited by a moderator:

cothero

Smash Lord
In regards to Jill and Leon, I'm still convinced it'd be Jill. Ever since Terry's reveal, all I can do is picture the crossover logos and think of who would literally suit "Smash x Resident Evil" best. And, IMO, it's Jill since she's from the first game and super iconic in her own right.

Don't get me wrong--Leon would be hype; I loved RE4. But just because RE4 and the new RE2 did well doesn't mean he should be the guy necessarily.
Hmm... Let's analyse this. Sakurai praises two things the most whenever he chooses a character: potential and popularity. We all know that Leon and Jill are the two more popular protagonists, but Leon always win at any poll or own site opinion. That's just a few exemples:

https://www.thetoptens.com/top-resident-evil-characters/
http://whatculture.com/gaming/resident-evil-ranking-every-major-protagonist-worst-to-best
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-is-the-most-popular-resident-evil-protagonist-among-fans.1191275/
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/top-10-playable-resident-evil-characters
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/6645-who-is-your-all-time-favorite-resident-evil-character

If we're talking about diversity, then Jill would be the best choice indeed, being a female rep and all - something we still haven't seen in the Fighter Pass. Anyways, both of them have plenty of potential to be in, regardless of who's most popular. Chris also has a chance, but something tells me that Leon and Jill would be far more likely to be added.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If the next DLC characters are part of another fighter's pass, please just reveal the characters or have silhouettes. Just put an end to the insanity already.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Hmm... Let's analyse this. Sakurai praises two things the most whenever he chooses a character: potential and popularity. We all know that Leon and Jill are the two more popular protagonists, but Leon always win at any poll or own site opinion. That's just a few exemples:

http://whatculture.com/gaming/resident-evil-ranking-every-major-protagonist-worst-to-best
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-is-the-most-popular-resident-evil-protagonist-among-fans.1191275/
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/top-10-playable-resident-evil-characters
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/6645-who-is-your-all-time-favorite-resident-evil-character

If we're talking about diversity, Jill would be the best choice indeed, being a female rep and all - something we still haven't seen in the Fighter Pass. Anyways, both of them have plenty of potential to be in, regardless of who's most popular. Chris also has a chance, but something tells me that Leon and Jill would be far more likely to be added.
Oh for sure Leon is the most popular. But, idk, Jill is S.T.A.R.S. Her and that goofy beret just feel OG to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If the next DLC characters are part of another fighter's pass, please just reveal the characters or have silhouettes. Just put an end to the insanity already.
I'd argue that silhouettes are largely useless for Smash. The game is built upon notable characters with distinct designs and if you have to pull bull**** likt "It's a Jigglypuff as seen from above!" then it does nothing to fuel speculation either.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Have you seen how the Fire Emblem Heroes community speculates silhouettes?

Now imagine the Smash community doing that.

No thank you.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

If we're talking about diversity, then Jill would be the best choice indeed, being a female rep and all - something we still haven't seen in the Fighter Pass. Anyways, both of them have plenty of potential to be in, regardless of who's most popular. Chris also has a chance, but something tells me that Leon and Jill would be far more likely to be added.
Unless we're getting a Hero situation or Capcom really pushes for Jill because of the RE3make, I'm pretty confident Leon would be the pick. He's by far the most popular RE protag among Nintendo fans, arguably the most popular one period, and RE2 and RE4 (the latter of which was a timed GameCube exclusive) are considered the best games in the series, as well as RE2make just coming out and keeping the character fresh in the minds of the public.

He'd also be the second character created by Hideki Kamiya to be in Smash!

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Unless we're getting a Hero situation or Capcom really pushes for Jill because of the RE3make, I'm pretty confident Leon would be the pick. He's by far the most popular RE protag among Nintendo fans, arguably the most popular one period, and RE2 and RE4 (the latter of which was a timed GameCube exclusive) are considered the best games in the series, as well as RE2make just coming out and keeping the character fresh in the minds of the public.

He'd also be the second character created by Hideki Kamiya to be in Smash!
Honestly, i think another character created by Kamiya is way more likely to be added: Dante. But i'd rather have Leon, as RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time and i've never played any DMC. I think Dante is pretty cool, though.

Edit: Accidental double post.

Last edited:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I think it really would be a better idea to reveal them all at once honestly. I doubt that will happen but it would be nice to know at least who is coming and then have to wait on the release dates instead of endless bickering about who could be next. SFV did it and it worked out fine.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Plus, Skyrim was on the Switch practically around launch time. The DOOM games were added just this year.
I know you're specifically referring to the classic game rereleases, but I still just wanted to point out that Doom 2016 actually came out on Switch a full week before Skyrim

and I do apologize for the extremely split hair, this was mostly just for the sake of knowing that
including myself who totally didn't go on Wikipedia to double check things

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Honestly, i think another character created by Kamiya is way more likely to be added: Dante. But i'd rather have Leon, as RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time and i've never played any DMC. I think Dante is pretty cool, though.
These are actually my feelings too. I have no connection to DMC and would love Leon instead, but I think Dante is being slept on a little.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh for sure Leon is the most popular. But, idk, Jill is S.T.A.R.S. Her and that goofy beret just feel OG to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll have my Jill Sandwich with her STARS outfit from RE1 and her RE3 outfit as an alt.

Both are highly iconic outfits and easily the most recognizable that she wears in the series. Although I do like her Revelations design as well.

Graizen

Smash Champion
That would be the same situation Agumon would have.

It's what happens when you have a series where the anime is more popular than the game it's based on.
Yep!

But i think the good part is: People will be alot more interested in Digimon games becouse of that.
Thats why i don't care about the anime problem.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know why, but I feel like Travis Touchdown might be one of the characters after this season.

I can't say I'm really seeing much reason for us to get Echoes during the post Fighter's Pass DLC. I just don't think they carry enough weight anymore to be worth Nintendo and Sakurai's time.
The thing is, they take considerably less time to make, but they'd still sell like hotcakes (more characters is always a good thing and can add longevity to the game's lifespan). I honestly think we're going to get roughly 10-12 characters after this first pass - 5 of which will be Echoes.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I still believe we're getting different RE characters as alt skins like Hero. However, if we aren't getting multiple alt skins then I'm going with Leon as the RE rep. Sometimes popularity triumphs over everything, it's why Cloud got in over Lightning or other FF protagonists like Terra that were on Nintendo consoles.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I still believe we're getting different RE characters as alt skins like Hero.
I don't see how this works at all. The Heroes don't have all that distinct of a personality. There's a reason that Richter and Simon are echoes. Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire all have very distinct personalities and fighting styles. Taunts, win quotes and even throws would nearly have to be different for all of them at bare minimum.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't see how this works at all. The Heroes don't have all that distinct of a personality. There's a reason that Richter and Simon are echoes. Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire all have very distinct personalities and fighting styles. Taunts, win quotes and even throws would nearly have to be different for all of them at bare minimum.
I could at most see Jill and Chris together, but not all four classic RE characters. If they use RE1 Chris's skinnier build, it can be mapped to Jill.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Jill and Leon are basically tied in popularity. Have been for a long time. Now did Leon get a boost from Resident Evil 2 Remake? Definitely, so yeah maybe he's ahead right now but their popularity has always been nearly identical.

Personally, I'm a Leon boy. Resident Evil 4 wasn't just my first RE it was my very first M Rated game. Fell in love with the character in that game and even more so as I played retroactively through 2, 6, and Darkside Chronicles.

The issue lies in the fact of which one do you go with? On one hand, at the moment, Leon is more profitable and is a part of 4, the most recognized game of the franchise, 6, the best selling game in the franchise, and 2 and 2 Remake, which are fan favorites to say the VERY least, OR do you go with Jill? One of the characters that KICKED OFF the franchise, has appeared in multiple Capcom crossovers, and is overall seen as one of THE MOST recognized and popular female protagonists in gaming.

It's honestly a coin toss which is why I'm hoping they either go with an alternate costume take featuring Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, etc. Or just bite the bullet and make this a special case where a DLC character gets an Echo with slight differences. Honestly, I think a RE character is inevitable but if I HAD to choose one over the other it'd absolutely be Leon. Simply because he has YET to be a BIG crossover character of Capcom's and I feel like he deserves it.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know it's not going to happen but I would love to tony hawk as WTF character.

I'm surpise that character wasn't mention as much as the other level-5 characters in the dlc speculation
As King Sonnn DeDeDoo said, he has a bit of a steep competition with Layton and Jibanyan who are both more popular requests from Level-5, I think there is also Oliver from Ni No Kuni who also seems to be thrown around a few times.

Also while his big floating hand ability may or may not bother some Isaac fans here or there... from what I played of his series, he could have a pretty interesting moveset, yes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I could at most see Jill and Chris together, but not all four classic RE characters. If they use RE1 Chris's skinnier build, it can be mapped to Jill.
Okay, but if Chris doesn't have his boulder punching muscles, what's the point of even adding him?

StormC

Smash Hero
Okay, but if Chris doesn't have his boulder punching muscles, what's the point of even adding him?
Smash Ridley and Smash Chris malnourished themselves so Sakurai would let them into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom