• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
We are so close to reaching the end of the journey.

We are so close to CP7.
And then will begin the journey to CP8, and CP9, and CP10...

I'm confident it's not this week because they want everyone's attention on Tokyo Game Show. Next week is a probable estimate, and they'll likely make us wait another week after for the actual release.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I just hope Rex makes it in. Don't care about his game being 3 years old (already? geez) or the Mii Costume, or Definitive Edition making people think we'll get a 2nd party member from it, or that people dislike "muh anime swordfighters" before saying they want Dante/2B/Sora (not calling folks out, just a general statement).

It would just feel weird to have him skipped over after ARMS got its due.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just hope Rex makes it in. Don't care about his game being 3 years old (already? geez) or the Mii Costume, or Definitive Edition making people think we'll get a 2nd party member from it, or that people dislike "muh anime swordfighters" before saying they want Dante/2B/Sora (not calling folks out, just a general statement).

It would just feel weird to have him skipped over after ARMS got its due.
Yeah, if Rex doesn't get in now he'll be a bigger punching bag the Geno, SSB4 Chrom, and Spring Man combined. He missed the base game because he came out too late, but FP1 gave us Byleth despite their game coming out two years after Rex's, followed by Min Min getting in via FP2 despite ARMS being mentioned in the same sentence as XC2 regarding games that came out too late. If he doesn't get in now...
a_very_sharp_pain_bruno.png

This image is the best I can describe it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2? More like Xenoofblade.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...or that people dislike "muh anime swordfighters" before saying they want Dante/2B/Sora...
Uuuuuuhg! We've been over this already. The Keyblade is not a sword, it's a club. Do you see an edge on that thing? Puhlease stop trying to lump Sora in with that crowd of anime sword wielding mongrels.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, if Rex doesn't get in now he'll be a bigger punching bag the Geno, SSB4 Chrom, and Spring Man combined. He missed the base game because he came out too late, but FP1 gave us Byleth despite their game coming out two years after Rex's, followed by Min Min getting in via FP2 despite ARMS being mentioned in the same sentence as XC2 regarding games that came out too late. If he doesn't get in now...View attachment 286508
This image is the best I can describe it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2? More like Xenoofblade.
Games exist outside of Smash. I would say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a success.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Uuuuuuhg! We've been over this already. The Keyblade is not a sword, it's a club. Do you see an edge on that thing? Puhlease stop trying to lump Sora in with that crowd of anime sword wielding mongrels.
The Keyblade is a blade. There's no way around it, it's right there in the name, Keyblade. It's not a Keyclub or a Keyspear, it's a KeyBLADE! Blade is blade!
Blade! Is! BLADE!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sol's been discussed enough that he wouldn't be blindsiding and Axel's had a fair amount that he probably wouldn't either.

What'd be blindsiding would probably be like, Asura or a God Eater or... I dunno, someone from Gears of War.
I don't really think Sol wouldn't blindside people. Here? Maybe. Certainly, here he's been brought a good amount of times and I always mention him when I can, but if Sol ended being DLC I'm pretty much sure the overall reactions would be really mixed in social media. I mean, I can perfectly imagine some reactions:

"Literal who"
"More anime"
"I don't want fighting game characters in Smash"
"Anime Ryu"
"He has something that seems like a sword. We get another swordfighter"
"Wasted slot"

Oh boy, it's time for me to make a...
Nihon Falcom is a surprisingly old Japanese game dev company (their first game was in 1982 for the PC-8801!). They're most known for the Ys and Legend of Heroes: Trails franchises, although they have some other games too (Tokyo Xanadu and Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure come to mind). Trails is their big turn-based RPG franchise, while Ys is their big action RPG franchise. The three characters that could feasibly be included in a crossover game like Smash are Estelle Bright and Rean Schwarzer from the Trails series, and Adol Christin from the Ys series.

Starting with Ys (pronounced like "geese" without the G), this is their big action RPG franchise, starting on the PC-8801 in 1987. Since then, there have been a couple different gameplay styles it's gone through, but overall the focus is on fast, tight combat. All of the Ys games (minus the prequel game, Ys Origin) star Adol Christin. Depending on the game, his moveset/abilities change. The first two Ys games have what's called the "bump system." While I haven't played those, I believe it's like the Impact Run ability, where you damage enemies by charging into them. Later Ys games give him a bunch of skills that you can assign to inputs, kind of like Tales arts. They also introduce Flash Move and Flash Guard, which are essentially perfect dodging and parrying, but they provide temporary bonuses when pulled off (Flash Move slows down enemies and Flash Guard boosts your damage).

As for Trails, this is their big turn-based RPG franchise, with super in-depth world-building and phenomenal character writing. Y'know how Persona kind of branched off from SMT into its own thing? Trails did that twice. The first Trails in the Sky game is the sixth entry in the Legend of Heroes series, which itself started as a spin-off of the Dragon Slayer series, and the Dragon Slayer series started in 1984. There are three major Trails story arcs: the Sky arc (Trails in the Sky, Trails in the Sky SC, and Trails in the Sky the 3rd), the Crossbell arc (Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki), and the Cold Steel arc (Trails of Cold Steel I-IV). (There's also the currently Japan-only Hajimari no Kiseki as kind of a spin-off/epilogue to the three arcs.) Estelle is the protagonist of the Sky arc, and Rean is the protagonist of the Cold Steel arc. One thing about Trails' storytelling is that all three arcs take place on the same continent within a few years of each other, so even though Estelle is the protagonist of the Sky arc, she and other Sky characters are involved in later arcs as well.

In terms of abilities, Estelle uses a bo staff, while Rean uses a sword called a tachi. Both can also cast a large variety of spells. I mentioned a little bit ago about what gimmicks they could use for Estelle, and the same could be said for Rean. Rean can also (end of Cold Steel I) summon a big ol' robot and climb inside for some fights.

Including any Falcom character would be super interesting from a historical perspective, mainly because of just how far back these franchises go. Ys in particular was one of the earliest action RPG franchises, but The Legend of Heroes also made its own mark with its crazy world-building. Recently, now that NISA has taken over publishing instead of XSeed, both franchises have been coming to Switch and have upcoming releases -- Ys VIII and Trails of Cold Steel III are both on Switch already, and Ys IX and Trails of Cold Steel IV are on their way to Switch next year. If they went with Trails, Rean would be a very Joker-esque pick in terms of his role in the series, since he's the protagonist of the newest arc, but Estelle would be more Terry-like, being the face of the franchise to some extent.

The music also slaps (exhibit A, exhibit B, exhibit C, exhibit D, exhibit E), and since it's all kept in-house under the Falcom Sound Team jdk label, it's very possible that regardless of which franchise gets chosen, we'd get a big selection of tracks from both. My top pick from Falcom is Estelle, since I really enjoy her character, and think she'd do a good job representing the Trails franchise as a whole, but I would be excited to see any Falcom character make it in.
****, this is a great post. I think this could work very well for Estelle's and Adol's official threads, maybe with some changes. Good work man.

Well, to be fair, these two are a bit different from your other examples. Kyo's series is still active and has a game on the horizon, unlike Terry's, but Terry is still generally seen as "Mr. SNK", so him being included first does make sense.

...I just wish we at least got a Mii Costume, man.
Yeah. I honestly can't comprehend why they didn't include a Kyo Costume. For sure it wasn't because SNK didn't wanted lol. I guess Sakurai didn't even thought about it or something, which is a shame.

This is all quite informative and interesting. Thanks a bunch!

My first instinct is to lean towards Adol due to Ys' long-running nature and impact on action RPGs and JRPGS in general, but Trails doesn't seem to be anything to dismiss, either, especially with my lack of knowledge. Still, if we can definitively say that Ys had an impact on JRPGs and action RPGs, I'm beginning to think we may have a sleeper on out hands. Whether or not he'll be filed under one of the many sleepers or if he'll be someone I actively start pushing remains to be seen. The music that was posted a while back was great, though.

On a side note, do you think we could pull a Terry and get some degree of music from Ys/Trails if the other gets in, or is that only something we can do with the Dragon Slayer->Legend of Heroes->Trails chain?
I'm pretty sure Falcom would be one of the few options where getting music from their different franchises isn't a far-fetched idea. As others have said already, they have an in-house team for the music of their games and as far as I know, said music is completely owned by Falcom.

At this point I'm biased and I'd rather to get Estelle. Biased because I have yet to try the Ys games, so I don't know Adol that much, while so far I already love Estelle as a character. But honestly, it could go either way. Ys is an older franchise, which could give Adol the edge. If they decide to go with Trails, I'm convinced they would go for Estelle. As I said, I'm currently playing the second Sky game, but I know she appears in the next arcs as well, so as far as I know she would be the best option to rep all the Trails series. Which would almost guarantee, I think, some music from Azure no Kiseki or the Cold Steel sub-series.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I honestly can't comprehend why they didn't include a Kyo Costume. For sure it wasn't because SNK didn't wanted lol. I guess Sakurai didn't even thought about it or something, which is a shame.
I have a running theory that Mii costumes are almost entirely Sakurai picks. Remember how he gushed about Iori's design? Mii costume. Ninjara was his initial ARMS pick? Mii costume. Sakurai has talked about - and even once played on a stream - Fallout? Mii costume, despite the fact that Fallout was far below Doom (and I would argue even below The Elder Scrolls) in terms of Smash representation requests?

I could be wrong - I'm sure there's other reasons why the costumes that are picked get picked, but it's just an idea I've begun recently entertaining.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I have a running theory that Mii costumes are almost entirely Sakurai picks. Remember how he gushed about Iori's design? Mii costume. Ninjara was his initial ARMS pick? Mii costume. Sakurai has talked about - and even once played on a stream - Fallout? Mii costume, despite the fact that Fallout was far below Doom (and I would argue even below The Elder Scrolls) in terms of Smash representation requests?

I could be wrong - I'm sure there's other reasons why the costumes that are picked get picked, but it's just an idea I've begun recently entertaining.
Yeah, Mii Costumes that aren't even a full dollar seem a lot less important than the fighters. I'd imagine Nintendo would just kinda go "Eh, do whatever" in regards to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom