• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Getting tired of this when is the direct talk. I think it may be best to try to keep our minds off this.

Who do you want to see first revealed, regardless of how you feel their chances realistically are? For me its Shantae. She would start the pass off with a bang, it would open up a lot of characters people wrotw off as deconfirmed due to spirits or mii costumes, and it would show nintendo cares about indie studios.

Plus she would have an awesome playstyle
Me I'd pick Amaterasu as a character I'd want to lead this pass cause...
1ualhp.jpg
Kidding but I've been gunning for this character for quite a while though, and whether first or last I just want her to be a playable fighter in this game.

Other characters I'd want to lead this pass are:

Shantae: Fun playstyle, bubbly attitude, and despite being a Spirit, has a decent (to large) backing of fans. I personally am still sketchy Shantae only having 2 Spirit when they could of just gone all the way, and put in more characters.

Also, (although it's not a certainty for Shantae's chances), Shantae and the Seven Sirens is still intended to release in the Spring from what they said (although who knows what might happen).

Sakura: A good choice to lead the pass considering the popularity of her games in Japan. I'm also interested in how she'd play from her swordstyle, to how they incorporate her mech.

Elma: I'm still down for Elma to make her entrance to Smash as a fighter, and if we have a first party character lead the pass I'd want it to be her.Fast, agile, a unique dual wielding fighting style with both guns and blades, Elma is basically a dream fighter come true.

And if Sakurai is able to incorporate her Skell in this game as a playable quirk and not just a Final Smash I'll eat a Switch cartridge.

Sony character: *ahem* Kat from Gravity Rush cause Gravity powers, and Zero G's would be amazing in this game that is all.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Oh boy I get to say it

Rex & Pyra
Elma
Geno
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Krystal
Lloyd Irving
&
many others I do not care to mention

These are just characters I don't care for; I think any character is a worthy addition to smash if Sakurai puts care and attention to detail into designing and implementing them, as he always has.

but

Like I said a lotta people are gonna be mad now.
Don't worry! You're allowed to have an opinion, even if it's terrible!

No but seriously, that is possibly the worst list of "characters I don't want" I have ever seen. It's probably one of the first times I can't agree with so much as a single choice on a list, 90% of the characters listed are in my most wanted and I would be overwhelmingly excited for them and the remaining ones I would be fine with. It's almost as if you were directly picking from my signature or something.

But nah, I'm not mad. In fact, let me join you! I'll just list the characters I don't care for and would find underwhelming as well!

Kiryu
Sol Badguy
Sephiroth
Master Chief
Doomguy
Any Pokemon that is not a Mystery Dungeon or Gen IV remake rep
Vergil

T'is your penance for picking almost half the characters on my signature.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Probably not. Fire Emblem: Three Houses just came out last year and got some DLC pretty recently. I don't think we'll be seeing a new mainline Fire Emblem title until 2023 at least.
Except for the rumored Tellius Remakes.

That's right boys...

IKE... TWO.
peggle 2.gif

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Instead of using "ignore" functions (which can make pages look weird as people reply to nothing), or of replying to him, everybody that's sick of this type of behavior should push for harsher moderation. This is one of the very rare forums I've ever seen with reddit/4chan level of toxicity and flaming, and with moderation that lets it slide. I think most people on here want to speculate or to catch the latest news, but there are a few very vocal users that thrive on pushing people down and adding random insults to otherwise semi-well-thought-of messages. Use the report functions, and do your best to maintain these threads as civilized as possible. People are entitled to their opinion, but if they serve no purpose to this thread, they shouldn't be posted here.
In my experience on this site stricter moderation has only served as a means of disrupting and breaking up the community of dedicated users who are loyal to this site. Furthermore, as someone who's actually been on 4chan and Reddit, the moderation of this site is much better. I've never gotten death threats, nor have I been personally insulted on this site compared to the former two. While I agree with you on the point about toxicity, I believe it's hyperbolic and unfair to compare Smashboards to those two sites.

Reporting posts is one thing, and it's proven to work. But calling for moderation to bring the hammer down on this community is not the right play. I'm sure I speak not only for myself when I say this, but also for those many users who've left this site and those who remember the absolute mess that occurred last time moderation became "strict".

Be careful what you wish for.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Except for the rumored Tellius Remakes.

That's right boys...

IKE... TWO.
Well since we already have Ike, the other candidates consist of an Assist Trophy, and a light mage, so at least both bring something intrinsically new to the table. They also have very different aesthetics so that's a plus. I doubt we'd get the Black Night or Mechia...that is so not how you spell her name. Hold on...

EDIT: Micaiah! Also she's apparently not in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance so she's even less likely.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm gonna be honest, after reading through the posts, I don't think a ban was needed here. The user in question might bring up their dislike of Byleth frequently in the thread, but that by itself doesn't feel like something that requires a ban. The only thing I could pull out is that some of the quotes were a little aggressive, and even then, I see plenty of users type far worse things on a daily basis.

I would've handled it differently, but that's just me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm gonna be honest, after reading through the posts, I don't think a ban was needed here. The user in question might bring up their dislike of Byleth frequently in the thread, but that by itself doesn't feel like something that requires a ban. The only thing I could pull out is that some of the quotes were a little aggressive, and even then, I see plenty of users type far worse things on a daily basis.

I would've handled it differently, but that's just me.
The aggressiveness was the problem. I've just been lurking here every now and then recently, but I have never once seen wynn say anything positive. It's always ********, complaining, and talking about how he doesn't like this or that.

Plus, like you said, he brought up his dislike of Byleth frequently. There comes a point where it's less just airing grievances about things and more just "stop liking things I don't like, **** you".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still no direct announcement. April is our final chance otherwise I think we'll be waiting until June.
Give it just a few more hours. If nothing by 10 PM tonight EST then it’s next month.

or plot twist, they announce tomorrow for a direct that’s on Friday our time

zferolie

Smash Hero
I heard someone on resetera was saying 1 guy is still tripplimg down on the announcement today, and some french leaker was saying it could be very late today

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Give it just a few more hours. If nothing by 10 PM tonight EST then it’s next month.

or plot twist, they announce tomorrow for a direct that’s on Friday our time
or plot twist, direct mini without warning

In other news, I should try and support more Atari era characters. The Centipede in particular could have a unique method of splitting up.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless look at the bright side guys. If nothing this week the longer this era can go on, the more we can speculate, that's one of fun things about this.

Let every moment last and don't take it for granted. We're not friends, we're family.

Smash family to be precise.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
the longer this era can go on, the more we can speculate, that's one of fun things about this.
Are you ****in' insane? Speculation is torture. I want it to be over. The sense of camaraderie has long since faded away. There is nothing but torment as the same arguments are repeated over and over again and nobody ever gets anywhere with any discussion because we have no information to base any speculation on.

There is no fun to be had here. Smash Hell is a real place, and we're living in it.

this post was a joke thanks for comin

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Cant find that french one its lost in that massive thread. Here is the guy resetera is banking on atm.

I'm not getting my hopes up because there have been two or three "reliable sources" so far who were banking on a Direct, and things didn't pan out for them.

At least we'll know by tonight whether or not there's any substance to it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not getting my hopes up because there have been two or three "reliable sources" so far who were banking on a Direct, and things didn't pan out for them.

At least we'll know by tonight whether or not there's any substance to it.
Yeah no idea why they are so attached to this guys, but yeah waiting till the end of the day to see

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
You'd think there'd be more leaks if that were the case.

...Although it's probably just going to be Bill Trinen playing video trailers from a laptop stream from his dining room table considering the state of every big business right now.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I heard someone on resetera was saying 1 guy is still tripplimg down on the announcement today, and some french leaker was saying it could be very late today
Got the links?
If you're talking about the French leaker, well this is the tweet in question (the time is in the Paris time zone):
According to the translation option on Twitter (it's not perfect obviously):
For Nintendo Direct, we know it is Thursday, but after the announcement we don't know, it can be at 6 p.m. as at 8 p.m., as tomorrow at 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. or 4 p.m.
However the tweet was made over a day ago and looking at comparisons from the Paris time zone (CET) to CDT, the time might've already passed.

And speaking of Resetera, a lot of people there are jumping the gun on that Nintendo Direct speculation thread.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Kazuma Kiryu, so that we know the second pass will mirror the first one:
  1. Cool SEGA character
  2. Cool Square-Enix character
  3. A character that will make people go "I'll never ask anything from Sakurai ever again"
  4. Cool fighting game character
  5. New Nintendo character that will make people ask things from Sakurai
  6. A character that will make people go "they should have saved the character 3 for finishing the pass with a bang"
I'll play this:

Kiryu
Sora
Crash
Sol
Gen 8
Professor Layton.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
In my experience on this site stricter moderation has only served as a means of disrupting and breaking up the community of dedicated users who are loyal to this site. Furthermore, as someone who's actually been on 4chan and Reddit, the moderation of this site is much better. I've never gotten death threats, nor have I been personally insulted on this site compared to the former two. While I agree with you on the point about toxicity, I believe it's hyperbolic and unfair to compare Smashboards to those two sites.

Reporting posts is one thing, and it's proven to work. But calling for moderation to bring the hammer down on this community is not the right play. I'm sure I speak not only for myself when I say this, but also for those many users who've left this site and those who remember the absolute mess that occurred last time moderation became "strict".
For sure it's not a call for a police state, but I've been in similar hobby related communities of this size or bigger, and usually the moderation is stricter. You'll notice it's often the same individuals that get going, and if you do read through, on a daily basis, this specific thread turns to personal insults. There's always an added "idiot" in a reply, or you're told you've got everything "wrong" on your own opinion without further justification, or you get told random unnecessarily aggressive things. And then you see outcomes like today's where it gets nasty. Those can be avoided altogether, by acting a bit more harshly, because they stem from the same individuals every time. Who cares if those few individuals end up leaving this community because they get banned? It's not like they've been bringing anything to the discussions here, if not triggering pages of anger. They can go do that in the corners of 4chan, where maybe the death threats will calm them down?

Because it gets tiring having the impression to discuss with immature 12 years old. Is that what SmashBoards is about? Because I much prefer the tone of our current discussion, where we disagree on some points and still keep it civilized and respectful. As a fairly new member, it's been difficult to approach this community due to the aggressiveness of some users. All I want, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is to share ideas, get the news, and play around with different character ideas, not get jumped at the throat as soon as I voice something. I would not have expected that for such a casually entertaining game like Smash, that brings so many games and people together for one of the best, if not the best, couch multiplayer game out there.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If you're talking about the French leaker, well this is the tweet in question (the time is in the Paris time zone):
As a French speaker, the more accurate translation would be something like (adjusted to make the most sense, not a word by word translation):
For the Nintendo Direct, we know it's Thursday, but we don't know when would be the announcement for it. It could be today at 18h or 20h, or tomorrow at 14h, 15h or 16h.

Meaning, at the time of writing this tweet, they thought the annoncement would happen sometime Tuesday or today, Wednesday, for a Direct they are certain will be happening on Thursday at an undisclosed time.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I missed the fireworks. What a ****ing mess the last few pages were.

Anders: Hating someone just because they’re a mage is a shameful thing.
Carver: I don't hate you because you’re a mage, I hate you because you won't shut up about it!
- Dragon Age II
Look I am aware that Byleth isn’t the most well-received newcomer, but must the merits of Byleth’s inclusion be brought up every time at even the slightest hint?! It's more than beating a dead horse (or what remains of it) at this point.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
it's increasingly sounding to me like a direct was absolutely happening tomorrow but got called off internally due to stuff like release date uncertainty

after such a consistent chain of tuesday announcements, i'd be extremely surprised to suddenly have wednesday 10pm at the last possible minute for a thursday direct

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Kazuma Kiryu, so that we know the second pass will mirror the first one:
  1. Cool SEGA character
  3. A character that will make people go "I'll never ask anything from Sakurai ever again"
  6. A character that will make people go "they should have saved the character 3 for finishing the pass with a bang"
1. Amigo
2. 2B (Does she count? If not, I'll go with Chrono because no one else from SE interests me personally)
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Mikoto Nishina
5. Euden
6. Whoever the new FE protagonist is

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
  1. Cool SEGA character
We start with Arle Nadja, and then move on to Lara Croft. Crash Bandicoot comes up third, and then we have Sol Badguy. Then we have our fabled Zelda newcomer in the form of a BotW 2 rep (depending on your definition of new, I could slide in Waluigi here), and then after all that we get Calyrex.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
it's increasingly sounding to me like a direct was absolutely happening tomorrow but got called off internally due to stuff like release date uncertainty

after such a consistent chain of tuesday announcements, i'd be extremely surprised to suddenly have wednesday 10pm at the last possible minute for a thursday direct
There's a good chance the Direct might be postponed after all, considering that we're in the midst of a worldwide pandemic.
Unless there's a chance that we may see something get announced later today, it's likely we won't have a Direct tomorrow.

zferolie

Smash Hero

However the tweet was made over a day ago and looking at comparisons from the Paris time zone (CET) to CDT, the time might've already passed.

And speaking of Resetera, a lot of people there are jumping the gun on that Nintendo Direct speculation thread.
Yeah that was the one, thanks for finding it. And yeah i cant even follow how fast that thread goes...

I could believe this. The worsening world situation could be the cause, but if it was already recorded and stuff still seems off to delay it. As for unknown dates, i say though could just give everything vague dates and no one would fault delays

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
For sure it's not a call for a police state, but I've been in similar hobby related communities of this size or bigger, and usually the moderation is stricter. You'll notice it's often the same individuals that get going, and if you do read through, on a daily basis, this specific thread turns to personal insults. There's always an added "idiot" in a reply, or you're told you've got everything "wrong" on your own opinion without further justification, or you get told random unnecessarily aggressive things. And then you see outcomes like today's where it gets nasty. Those can be avoided altogether, by acting a bit more harshly, because they stem from the same individuals every time. Who cares if those few individuals end up leaving this community because they get banned? It's not like they've been bringing anything to the discussions here, if not triggering pages of anger. They can go do that in the corners of 4chan, where maybe the death threats will calm them down?

Because it gets tiring having the impression to discuss with immature 12 years old. Is that what SmashBoards is about? Because I much prefer the tone of our current discussion, where we disagree on some points and still keep it civilized and respectful. As a fairly new member, it's been difficult to approach this community due to the aggressiveness of some users. All I want, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is to share ideas, get the news, and play around with different character ideas, not get jumped at the throat as soon as I voice something. I would not have expected that for such a casually entertaining game like Smash, that brings so many games and people together for one of the best, if not the best, couch multiplayer game out there.
I have an entire Discord server of former users, most of which are, spoilers, not banned (and if they are, not for the reasons you're giving). Each contributed to discussion in their own, and each were driven away the last time moderation cracked down on this site. Calling for reports is good, but asking for stricter moderation is not. At this point it's more a semantical argument, but I simply think back to how past events played out and how detrimental it was to every user involved.

Anyways, coming from someone who's been around here long enough, this is just how Smash Speculation is, especially so in recent times. It's the sad truth of the matter. Either you can grow a thick skin and speculate on regardless, or move to another community in the hopes that it's better. Smash speculation brings out some of the most immature and toxic people on the internet, and you simply have to deal with them as they come. For every negative user that gets banned another one takes their place. Every immature argument resolved will eventually cycle back. That's just how things are.

I commend you for recognizing the flaws in speculation so early on and getting across your points in a clear way. However, I don't have the solutions, and I caution against the one you've recommended.

i mean uh look at me guys funny lowercase text haha hehe hoohoo no rational thought here just ****posting because thats all i have the energy to contribute here now haha hehe hoohoo

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's a good chance the Direct might be postponed after all, considering that we're in the midst of a worldwide pandemic.
Unless there's a chance that we may see something get announced later today, it's likely we won't have a Direct tomorrow.

Hmm yeah i can see that. But i would think nintendo would see how some people are starved for info lol

Calamitas

Smash Champion
At what time exactly was that Animal Crossing Direct announced again, anyway? Does anyone have that tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom