• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
well not specificly them but I hope everyone stops waiting for any kind if announcment and just go on with their lives. Its unhealthy to wait day after day after day for something you dont know will happen out not
I have plenty other things jeeping me distracted, but i always look to see if there is something. I wanna be able to budget and plan for what games i am going to get this year

SKX31

Smash Master
In all honestly, Im not sure why anyone would expect anything to be announced today
Dearth of info does that to the brain sometimes. "I need more info! Now!"

The only weird thing missing is COD since the Wii U even had the series on it. I doubt that the Switch could run the new Modern Warfare, but the Call of Duty 4 remake would absolutely work on Switch & it’s the best game in the series anyway lol

Activision treats Nintendo fairly well. Hell, they were releasing Skylanders & COD on Wii U even when the Japanese third parties had abandoned ship.
Ever since you mentioned it I found that pretty weird too. Depending on how much COD 4R needs it might be more feasible to port over the Tencent-developed COD Mobile than COD 4R. Problem is though, COD Mobile ain't exactly a hype bringer amongst the hardcore (and I don't think I need to go into detail as to why).

well not specificly them but I hope everyone stops waiting for any kind if announcment and just go on with their lives. Its unhealthy to wait day after day after day for something you dont know will happen out not
I also have other things to keep me distracted. Important stuff like work, applying for other jobs / further studies beyond my Bachelor, trying to do the Mew Challenge (clear the last WoL level, climb onwards, without dying once)...

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd really love for them to do another ballot once all the Smash Ultimate characters have been announced. I'd love to see who get's the most votes now that so many of the most requested characters have made it in!

Not that we would though, since, ya know, they don't release the results...

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd really love for them to do another ballot once all the Smash Ultimate characters have been announced. I'd love to see who get's the most votes now that so many of the most requested characters have made it in!

Not that we would though, since, ya know, they don't release the results...
Imagin of they did release the reasults. Kinda wish they did just to see some offical numbers

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We really don't need another ballot. Not only should Sakurai and his team be fully aware of which characters are frequently requested, but all a ballot accomplishes in doing is raising everyone's expectations far beyond what they should really be.

In fact, let me walk you through it.

We'll hold another ballot, everyone will consider Geno, Sora, Waluigi, etc. to be a lock, then the character gets revealed, it's someone only moderately popular at best, and everyone goes into a frenzy because it wasn't supposed to end that way. They'll say the ballot was rigged (which may or may not be true) even though they currently have no evidence to support that claim, and they'll repeatedly remind themselves that, "Hey, Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo is in! No need to have an internal crisis over this, right?"

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Imagine the weight on FP11's shoulders. They have the responsibility of topping off the greatest fighting game roster there ever was or ever will be. The slightest controversy over whoever gets picked will be blown several times out of proportion, so the Smash team has to make a choice that will leave basically no room for 'un-hype', lest the character get murdered by the (admittedly pretty toxic) smash community, and even the general public. The pick basically has to be perfect to avoid outrage -- and this is before even taking into account the expectations that might be set by the first 5 FPv2 characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Imagine the weight on FP11's shoulders. They have the responsibility of topping off the greatest fighting game roster there ever was or ever will be. The slightest controversy over whoever gets picked will be blown several times out of proportion, so the Smash team has to make a choice that will leave basically no room for 'un-hype', lest the character get murdered by the (admittedly pretty toxic) smash community, and even the general public. The pick basically has to be perfect to avoid outrage -- and this is before even taking into account the expectations that might be set by the first 5 FPv2 characters.
Oh it doesn't matter who they are, this happened since Brawl for every last character

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch that its simply yet again another Fire Emblem character. Won't surprise me as Smash never tends to end big.

The Smash community crashes from all the salt. ;P

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Rex, Toad, Tora and Bandanna Dee NEED to be in the game
Agreed!

Though Xenoblade isn't an action RPG in the same vain as the Elder Scrolls xD But I'm glad to see someone else prefers Tora over Morag!
Sorry, but these characters being DLC would cause Nintendo to be erased from history, cats and dogs to live together, black to become white, up to become down, and...erm...a few people online to be bitter about another copyright not being added to the title screen. We can't have that now!
Still more likely than non-game character Miku

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's actually sad that this needs to be said here. I mean, we can get obsessive here, but I genuinely hope people have a life outside of this. I know I had a ball this weekend, hope everyone else is enjoying themselves as well.

Honestly, it's not just Smash. It's Nintendo and the Switch as a whole. The 3DS had way more steady releases I feel. Why is this? The Switch is 3 years old I recently read, and sometimes I feel there's just not much interesting to play outside of the things I already own.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Technically this was Byleth when Nintendo decided the DLC with no plans for a season 2. It seems neither Nintendo or Sakurai care about ending stuff with a bang. The more I think about it the more I start to think Bayonetta was the exception to this due to the ballot.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
thank you for you
Agreed!

Though Xenoblade isn't an action RPG in the same vain as the Elder Scrolls xD But I'm glad to see someone else prefers Tora over Morag!

Still more likely than non-game character Miku
Thank you for your reply! I love to see Tora getting the love he deserves, we should have a nopon in smash, and Tora is the perfect fit!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not too true. Joker wasn't spectacular to me for example , and he started the Fighters Pass. Luckily I was surprised with both Banjo and Byleth, but I couldn't predict them from getting Joker alone.

No doubt this second pass will be just the same.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, Smash rosters usually end on a whimper. This has been the case since Brawl.
  • In Brawl, :olimar: was the last announced newcomer for the game. Not too anticlimactic since Pikmin has plenty of fans, but it didn't have the fanfare that the Sonic reveal had months prior.
  • In the base game of Smash 4, :4bowserjr:and :4duckhunt: were the last two newcomers to be announced, both of which were revealed after the 3DS version's release. Certainly didn't help that they were among the few characters who were spoiled by the ESRB leak in August 2014.
  • In Smash 4's DLC, :4corrin: and :4bayonetta: were the last two characters revealed. The former was seen as a controversial pick because their game hadn't even come out to the west yet. The latter was a more interesting pick, but there were accusations that the Smash Ballot was rigged since the presentation she was in claimed she was the winner of the ballot.
  • Base game Ultimate ended with :ultken: followed by :ultincineroar:. We expected Ken and a Gen 7 rep to be in the game's base roster.
  • The first Fighters Pass ended with :ultbyleth:. This was seen as anticlimactic to quite a bit of people because not only they were expecting a big name to take up the FP5 spot, but they're a character from Fire Emblem, a series that is loathed by a good chunk of the Smash community. Now imagine if we didn't have the announcement of more DLC months prior to Byleth's reveal...
Basically, we shouldn't expect the last DLC character to be a big name. We've seen Smash rosters end on a quiet note before (with the possible exception of Bayonetta). It really doesn't matter who they are, there WILL be plenty of salt. Regardless of the high possibility that the Second Fighters pass won't end with a bang, I'm expecting speculation for FP11 to be really chaotic, even more of a mess than what happened with the FP5 speculation.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
... what does that have to do with the message you quoted (which is almost two months old at that)?
sorry, This is my first day on smash boards and I'm not entirely familiar with this site. I just wanted to be a part of the dlc discussion. Sorry if I offended you

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it's weird as **** the Smash community seems to hate on Fire Emblem. Good time to talk about this again? Because most Fire Emblem fans are Smash fans after all. At least, western Fire Emblem fans. To me, it just seems unreasonable and immature.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nah FP11 could be Master Chief or Kratos and some people would still complain for X reasons. No matter who FP11 is, some fans will be salty and angry when FP11 is revealed and he or she isn't their most wanted.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As long as I get at least one of my most wanted for DLC I’ll be happy. Thing is I haven’t gotten any of em yet

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The problem is, Smash rosters usually end on a whimper. This has been the case since Brawl.
  • In Brawl, :olimar: was the last announced newcomer for the game. Not too anticlimactic since Pikmin has plenty of fans, but it didn't have the fanfare that the Sonic reveal had months prior.
  • In the base game of Smash 4, :4bowserjr:and :4duckhunt: were the last two newcomers to be announced, both of which were revealed after the 3DS version's release. Certainly didn't help that they were among the few characters who were spoiled by the ESRB leak in August 2014.
  • In Smash 4's DLC, :4corrin: and :4bayonetta: were the last two characters revealed. The former was seen as a controversial pick because their game hadn't even come out to the west yet. The latter was a more interesting pick, but there were accusations that the Smash Ballot was rigged since the presentation she was in claimed she was the winner of the ballot.
  • Base game Ultimate ended with :ultken: followed by :ultincineroar:. We expected Ken and a Gen 7 rep to be in the game's base roster.
  • The first Fighters Pass ended with :ultbyleth:. This was seen as anticlimactic to quite a bit of people because not only they were expecting a big name to take up the FP5 spot, but they're a character from Fire Emblem, a series that is loathed by a good chunk of the Smash community. Now imagine if we didn't have the announcement of more DLC months prior to Byleth's reveal...
Basically, we shouldn't expect the last DLC character to be a big name. We've seen Smash rosters end on a quiet note before (with the possible exception of Bayonetta). It really doesn't matter who they are, there WILL be plenty of salt. Regardless of the high possibility that the Second Fighters pass won't end with a bang, I'm expecting speculation for FP11 to be really chaotic, even more of a mess than what happened with the FP5 speculation.
We were only expecting Ken and Incineroar because they, y'know, LEAKED. Not to mention people were disappointed then as it meant a more 'desirable' leak was fake

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't really understand why "not ending with a bang" is a bad thing. I'd rather see the most hype character early on and for Nintendo, it's way better to show the best character first. Imagine if at e3 2018 Sakurai would have said "don't expect too many newcomers but here's a last announcement" to show Incineroar instead of Ridley. The reception would have been really more mixed.

Also I don't really understand the idea that the pass would have been better if you change the order (like "if they switch Banjo and Byleth it would have been better!" It's still the same content, I don't really get the idea that "last character bad = whole pass was bad".

zferolie

Smash Hero
We were only expecting Ken and Incineroar because they, y'know, LEAKED. Not to mention people were disappointed then as it meant a more 'desirable' leak was fake
Yeah people forget how that grinch leak got everyones hopes up. Did we ever discover who made that leak, because i still wanna see the HQ of that artwork made for it.

As for this pass, i think its safe to assume 1 or 2 characters will be first party and could be seen as promotional. I really think Rex and pyra still have a chance only because it seemed Sakurai really, REALLY wanted to put them in the game but couldn't. It could be viewed as a tie in for the remake of the first game, especially if they add a bonus fight vs rex and pyra, or pyra and mythra somehow. You know i am still not sure where timeline wise XB1 and 2 are....

The other promotion pick we may get can be a number of different things. People are expecting a pokemon and if we get 1 i would love Zacian, as she is a Quadrupedal pokemon and we have so few characters like that, and she could be super interesting with her playstyle. Other picks could be a prime 4 rep with Sylux, a paper mario rep with paper Mario, or even someone from the new zelda game.

The other 4 i think will be 3rd party. At least 2 will be spirit upgrades, Geno and shantae. Geno because of the fan demand, same with shantae but also because she is the biggest indie character avalible still save for reimu. I love reimu and want her in but her biggest hurdle is her recognition in the west. Its better then how people here rated her recently, but still in issue.

Crash i feel is a shoe in or very likely, due to his history woth nintendo and could make a huge splash.

The last one i dont know and can go anyway. My want would be Reimu. Other likely choices though are doomguy, ryu, a bandai rep, or rayman.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Still hoping for a wild west Fire Emblem

The Fire Emblem itself is a sheriff badge
Its Smash rep uses guns and a lasso exclusively, and is still called a Marth clone because the bullets are like disjointed hitboxes.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd still want another Ballot because I think getting people's current opinions 5 years later would be interesting to see. Just because we'll have some fanbases be pretty loud in their confidence doesn't mean we shouldn't sandbag any potential input fans could actually invest in.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
As long as I get at least one of my most wanted for DLC I’ll be happy. Thing is I haven’t gotten any of em yet
I'm sitting at 1/6 so far with Byleth's inclusion.

That being said, I've grown to love Joker and Hero despite not particularly wanting them at first. Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are good as ****.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Me already satisfied with:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool:and:ultridley:who were my 3 most wants, anyone else is just icing on cake.

:ultjoker:I found to be an pleasant surprise and:ult_terry:I've warmed up to finding to be loads of fun.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
So its looking like unless we get a surprise announcement tommorow, nothing is happening for Mario day.

Man when are we getting any news for any nintendo game after march? We litterally know nothing about the rest of the year. No exact dates for xenoblade or zelda, no games for any other month this year, and again no news about who the first smash character will be almost 2 months after announcing the second pass.

What is nintendo doing? Are they really just that focused on animal crossing nothing else matters? Could the virus be effecting nintendo and they havent said anything?
I'm not sure why they are delaying it either. :/ speaking of Smash DLC, Pokemon trainer was a big character for ultimate, and everyone enjoyed playing him/her. A pokemon trainer style Xenoblade chronicles 2 character would be amazing and such a fan pleaser. Im thinking Rex and pyra to start, and the two other characters could be Tora and Nia (with Poppi and Dromarch). swapping through them would be with down B, and for the final smash all characters join in like Vandham Morag and Zeke. I think everyone who played Xblade C 2 would love that Character. Might be a little overpowered but that's okay, and maybe even swap through blades (Tora gets Pyra), but Thats a real stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom