• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
the ryu whos dead is ryu hayabusa guys im sorry hes dead we gotta move on
I actually think Hayabusa is the most likely swordfighter to be added.
Granted, I don't think Volume 2 will have ANY swordfighters, as Sakurai made a comment that he is aware of the "too many swordfighters" complaints. Look even at how Byleth barely even uses his sword as a sword and not a whip.
Not my wish; just my speculation. I'd personally love to see Dante or Monster Hunter.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Granted, I don't think Volume 2 will have ANY swordfighters, as Sakurai made a comment that he is aware of the "too many swordfighters" complaints. Look even at how Byleth barely even uses his sword as a sword and not a whip.
Not my wish; just my speculation. I'd personally love to see Dante or Monster Hunter.

A character being a swordfighter doesn't matter in Volume 2. Nintendo's the one choosing the characters and Sakurai even said that a character was never dropped because of lack of ideas.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Everyone always talks about Crash and while he'd be super cool, no one ever gives Spyro any love here...
Crash is okay, but growing up mostly with Spyro's games I'd choose Spyro over Crash in a heartbeat.
We should consider this with the E theory. Canonically dead characters with at least one E in their name.
If only Amaterasu wasn't too awesome to die

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Threw together a list based mostly on predictions and a touch of my own wants.

1. Quote/Curly Brace
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Doomguy
4. Porky
5. Crash
6. Dante

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Found some interesting stuff on the nintendo youtube channel
The mario vs minecraft video is on the nintendos favourites playlist so i wonder if this increases steve chances?
Screenshot_20200220-233051_YouTube.jpg

D

Deleted member

Found some interesting stuff on the nintendo youtube channel
The mario vs minecraft video is on the nintendos favourites playlist so i wonder if this increases steve chances?
View attachment 263320
I personally would not bet on it though, but it does raise some suspicions. Though I mean, they could've just had a Youtube bot doing all the dirty work.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, we still got Hero.

He also said he's aware of "too many FE" complaints and he added Chrom and Byleth after that.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
What are you talking about? Byleth mostly use his sword. 4 attacks use the spear, 3 use the axe, two use the bow, and everything else use the sword (beside the beginning of his standard combo).
Plus Sakurai ain't deciding the roster, he'll approve of a sword fighter that Nintendo chose (as long as it's someone Sakurai likes). He may be aware of the complaints, but he don't care.

blackghost

Smash Champion
What are you talking about? Byleth mostly use his sword. 4 attacks use the spear, 3 use the axe, two use the bow, and everything else use the sword (beside the beginning of his standard combo).
Plus Sakurai ain't deciding the roster, he'll approve of a sword fighter that Nintendo chose (as long as it's someone Sakurai likes). He may be aware of the complaints, but he don't care.
no nintnedo doesnt care and why should they? people still bought him or prepaid for the pass. fans and companies do not think the same. for example people are opposing dante just becuase they are scared he'd be good in the game competitively Nintendo isnt thinking about that. Nintendo is more concerned about not being left out on the next dmc game and getting dmc v on the switch. putting dante in smash helps accomplish that goal.

for every one person mad about a character moveset or inclusion there are more than 10 happy about it. no nintendo doesnt care. byleth trailer openly made fun of people for it.

D

Deleted member

Eh, whatever it takes, it'll mostly be Nintendo calling the shots in the end. We do know that Nintendo does listen to requests ( why we got BK in the first place ), but I'd assume that Nintendo has other interesting options to look for that we wouldn't even notice or even heard of until we thoroughly discuss them. And judging from the recent picks we got, it could be interesting.

Out of curiosity, if anyone has been here before I legitimately joined Smashboards (around August), I'd like to know if you guys talked about Joker before he was revealed.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, whatever it takes, it'll mostly be Nintendo calling the shots in the end. We do know that Nintendo does listen to requests ( why we got BK in the first place ), but I'd assume that Nintendo has other interesting options to look for that we wouldn't even notice or even heard of until we thoroughly discuss them. And judging from the recent picks we got, it could be interesting.

Out of curiosity, if anyone has been here before I legitimately joined Smashboards (around August), I'd like to know if you guys talked about Joker before he was revealed.
a handful of people brought him up here and there I think but Joker was never a huge thing in speculation like Doom guy or Ryu hayabusa from what I recall.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yea. The other guys are right. Joker had fans, but he was never extremely high in speculation.
I honestly cannot even think of a comparison that could be made with characters in the running now. Maybe Tracer, but I feel like Tracer is more "expected" than Joker ever was.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sword bad

Never mind that there are more characters with generic punches and kicks in the game and how there's a ****ton of sword based fighting styles that aren't used in Smash yet, sword bad funny meme
You missed my point completely.
I don't give a **** if we get 0 swordfighters or 5 (at least one spot must be Crash, or I riot), but I am merely SPECULATING based on the fact that Sakurai made a note to mention that he is aware of the "too many swordfighters" complaints.
I still think Ryu Hayabusa is extremely likely, but I think that the general archetype of swordfighter may be intentionally avoided for this pass.

And to the "Nintendo picked the DLC, not Sakurai" crowd, the way I understood Sakurai's comment is that Nintendo gives Sakurai a list, and Sakurai picks from that list.
So Sakurai bias is still slightly in play.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't give a **** if we get 0 swordfighters or 5 (at least one spot must be Crash, or I riot), but I am merely SPECULATING based on the fact that Sakurai made a note to mention that he is aware of the "too many swordfighters" complaints.
I still think Ryu Hayabusa is extremely likely, but I think that the general archetype of swordfighter may be intentionally avoided for this pass.

And to the "Nintendo picked the DLC, not Sakurai" crowd, the way I understood Sakurai's comment is that Nintendo gives Sakurai a list, and Sakurai picks from that list.
I wasn't talking about you but go on

osby

Smash Obsessed
"List theory" never had any concrete proof, to begin with, and if anything, Sakurai's latest comments might have disproven it.

From what I've understood, Sakurai's effect on character picks is limited to a veto right.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Y'know maybe Ryu Hayabusa would still be alive if SOME PEOPLE would just pay attention when driving in the Wendy's parking lot instead of ranting about how the cashier didn't buy their pope is a reptilian story.

Last edited:

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

The direct quote, as translated from source gaming, was "Nintendo proposes a fighter, and Sakurai receives the request. Nintendo and Sakurai then discuss with each other. If there's not an agreement on the character then it could be canceled, but it's never the case that a character would be canceled because of lack of ideas."
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1230258551752290304
Your entitled to your opinion, but that does not sound anything like the list concept people were tossing around before this article, but rather more like a veto system someone earlier mentioned.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
If we end up getting a general direct on Feb.27 and the first fighter in Pass 2 is revealed I’m gonna be rock hard yo (Dante plz)

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I really don't get why that Nintendo list theory keeps coming back. I only see this particular "list" talk in the western community even way before the latest famitsu column. Of course people in Japan also speculate Sakurai bias but I don't see them bringing up that list theory unless they are studying the Western speculation scenes. So is it coming from translation nuance thing? I'm genuinely curious.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Season 2 not having ANY sword fighters would be pretty crazy imo. Not the craziest thing in the world, but there's A LOT of sword-using protagonists both in and out of the regular speculation cycle.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Season 2 not having ANY sword fighters would be pretty crazy imo. Not the craziest thing in the world, but there's A LOT of sword-using protagonists both in and out of the regular speculation cycle.
Not as crazy as a pass without any JRPG characters, imo. They've always been pretty disproportionately represented in Smash DLC. Not that I don't like my JRPGs but man.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If we end up getting a general direct on Feb.27 and the first fighter in Pass 2 is revealed I’m gonna be rock hard yo (Dante plz)
Interestingly enough, Platinum Games is having a major announcement on that day.

I would be very curious to see if there will be a Nintendo direct on that same day too...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
---the joke--->
you

All lowercase means I'm not being serious in the slightest.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Interestingly enough, Platinum Games is having a major announcement on that day.

I would be very curious to see if there will be a Nintendo direct on that same day too...
Platinum Games eh?

*Crosses fingers for 2B*

Not counting on it tho...

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So it's the Devil May Cry 5 anniversary today. This is going to be really unlikely because there's probably a direct coming in the next week, but I hope Nintendo reveals Dante without a direct, similar to what they did to Robin and Lucina in Smash 4.

Either that, or we get a Devil May Cry spirit event next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom