• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Every DLC character comes with a stage, music, and a spirit board. I just don't see characters like Waluigi, Dixie, etc being in as they couldn't fill out the criteria for the DLC. So yeah I still think characters who are represented in Ultimate in some way will not be DLC.
I think Waluigi and such would work fine, there’s enough stuff that Ultimate doesn’t use and, in Waluigi’s case, even if they don’t add spirits for unrepresented Mario characters, they could make his spirit board themed around him entirely.

If we’re gonna assume “new worlds” is concrete even after Byleth despite being the same franchise, I know Geno would definitely work, because SMRPG has plenty of unique characters and stuff he could bring. The world is different from other Mario games and, I mean, we only got two basegame spirits (definitely chosen before Season 2 was planned), and they could use one of Geno’s ingame sprites for his fighter spirit (if not his art on a jigsaw puzzle or just his potential Smash render like some other characters), so...*shrug*

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I think Urshifu is very likely to be on FP2 since the Pokemon SwSh DLC packs are releasing this summer and fall. They were being pushed pretty hard in their debut trailer. Furthermore they've got moveset potential in a form change and appear to be the proper mold for a kung-fu styled fighter, which Smash really doesn't have yet iirc.

However, if they got in they probably wouldn't be the E3 reveal, they'd most likely be shown sometime later this year.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Welp, I've came across a few "what 1st parties could they possibly add?!" posts, so I might as well bring it up (again): Style Savvy.

Relatively recent 1st party IP? Yep. Popular? In Europe, Japan, and North America; it's a multi-million seller. So far, it has no playable reps in Smash, and the series originated on a console with barely any representation on the roster (Nintendo DS). It has 4 games and there's rumors of a 5th one coming to Switch, which would be perfect because so far it's only been on handheld consoles (BTW, if/when it happens, they should bundle it with the Switch Lite). A business/fashion simulator hybrid is a highly unique archetype. Visibly (with regards to Style Savvy's aesthetic/art style) and mechanically (with regards to how she'd fight), there's nothing remotely like her in Smash. Style Savvy also specifically targets an audience that Smash generally does not: the female demographic. I think both series could benefit from the cross-promotion. Regardless of its success, Nintendo hasn't really promoted Style Savvy much. Despite this, the handful of songs featured in Smash got some people to buy the games because they enjoyed them that much. Now imagine what a playable character could do for the series. And more people should give it a try because they're high quality games; it definitely deserves more respect. I mean, everyone loves customization and playing dress-up; nowadays, personalization and cosmetic items are used as motivation/rewards in pretty much everything (including Smash), and Style Savvy excels at it (even though there's a lot more to it than that). During the recent Smash direct, there were some folks who were like "Are they really going to try to lecture us about Fire Emblem?! We already know." Even though it's successful, I think a large portion of Smash's fanbase knows little to nothing about Style Savvy's world, and it'd be a great learning opportunity. A game like Style Savvy is rare in general, especially in the console market. Nintendo should capitalize on it.

So far, the only women on the roster from standalone series are Samus and Bayonetta; the rest are echoes, secondary characters, duos (Ice Climber, e.g.), alternate skins, selectable male/female avatars, etc. Style Savvy would be the third one. Nintendo is aware of its past and relative lack of leading ladies, and in my opinion, adding Style Savvy in Smash is one of the greatest "we've changed our old ways" moves they could possibly pull.

Also... it has 1 spirit (out of 4 games), so they could easily make a spirit board, too.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Everyone is working from the same deficit; we don't know what happens behind the scenes. We only ever get to see the finished product and the occasional developer anecdote which always stresses the positive aspects of collaboration - as is the courteous thing to do.

The precedent off which we work is a tiny sliver of the whole picture. I'm not going to pretend to speak authoritatively on a conclusion I can't know more than a fraction about. It'd be naive to do otherwise, and it's often the downfall of those who get carried away with filling in the blanks.

I'm not saying to buy into those leaks, it's not even about that specifically, it's just not implausible that things do shift around and fall through within development. That doesn't inherently mar relations between companies because it's such a common occurrence.

No matter how sensible the rhetoric sounds, it's still a conclusion based on a sliver of the total picture, and therefore is tantamount to nothing more than an educated guess.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The optimist in me wants to believe this will be why these six FP2 characters will take longer to release than the six DLC characters we know about.

The pessimist says they downsized.
I just feel this will be the case. Given the outcry for the WAH-man last year and all, I feel like this is legit his chance to show up now that the first Fighters Pass is done. And it's easier to do without creating a stage, new music tracks, and new Spirits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
next direct airs, Smash segment comes up, Twister (Remix) starts playing as you see THIS

wyd??

i for one would be ecstatic

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think Urshifu is very likely to be on FP2 since the Pokemon SwSh DLC packs are releasing this summer and fall. They were being pushed pretty hard in their debut trailer. Furthermore they've got moveset potential in a form change and appear to be the proper mold for a kung-fu styled fighter, which Smash really doesn't have yet iirc.

However, if they got in they probably wouldn't be the E3 reveal, they'd most likely be shown sometime later this year.
Didn't we get a Sword and Shield spirit event in smash though?

Wonder what fan rules the Season 2 characters will break because I had a laugh reading this tweet regarding broken fan rules
I hope one of them is, "Capcom has too many reps so they shouldn't have another one."

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
OMFG NOOO!!! I'm not ****ing ready for the ****storm that'll occur if a Pokemon is announced for DLC. I can already see it now...

The official Nintendo of America twitter account announces the Pokemon fighter for smash, you look down at the replies and see a bizarre mix of salty comments, "Hoes Mad" memes and #BringBackNationalDex posts for some ****ing reason.

I'm sooo not ****ing ready dude...

Sae_facepalm.png

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also... it has 1 spirit (out of 4 games), so they could easily make a spirit board, too.
Honestly, this is something I believe can work in Andy's favor because there's so many Advance Wars CO's that haven't been included as Spirits, two of which are major characters passed up for more minor characters. AW having it's own Challenger Pack would essentially almost be like a new series addition given how little content it has in the game already.

But i'm more happy to see a fellow Spirit believer in a day & age where people are admant their donezo. There should be more of us in the world lol.
Edit: I like how the state of speculation now is a fresh slate compared to FP1.
Well, not until we get our first upgrade character and then Speculation will be crazy again lol.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Where did you that that 2b picture? can u send a link?
When I look for character pics I start on google images and end down an internet rabbit hole, and leave myself no breadcrumbs. Sometimes I save the image like a smart person, but usually I'm an idiot and just copy into photoshop, rip it to shreds, and only save the pertinent piece, which in this case is maybe the top third of the character.

So, sorry, I don't have the link. I remember I had to make the render myself because the pic had a background. Maybe try ArtStation. I believe it's from some art and model sharing site.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To be honest, I don’t actually think Byleth changes much of anything.

Remember, Byleth comes from a game with nothing currently in Smash. Sure, Fire Emblem as a series is in, but all of the spirits, all of the music, the stage, and character...all new. It’s a new game crossing over, which is just like Dragon Quest XIS: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition, and Persona 5.

Note: These three games are each a part of a larger series that has a different cast in each game. This makes it easier for those games to crossover.

Waluigi? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Super Mario. Definitely already a thing.

Bandanna Waddle Dee? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Kirby. Already a thing.

Rex? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Xenoblade Chronicles 2. This is a game not currently entirely crossing over, but it already has spirits, music, and a costume. Unsure with this one. Same for XCX and Elma.

Every Challenger Pack has brought entirely new content.

Sure, it’s not confirmed if things will continue the way they have. But considering it’s Season 2, as in the sequel to the first one, and it was also introduced with no mentions of any changes... I mean, Sakurai actually insinuated that it would be more of the same, apologizing for the fact that folks won’t know what’s in it until we get some reveals.

Could upgrades happen? Maybe. But I probably won’t believe it until it actually happens.

Overall, it’s not .pngs that prevent upgrades, but the function of each Challenger Pack. What does a character, game/series actually bring to Smash that other games can’t?

Before this gets downplayed by saying, “Fan rule!”, at least acknowledge the fact that the things I posted are at the very least observably true. Precedent tells us certain things, and while it can’t guarantee the future, it can provide a basis for certain aspects of speculation.

Or at least, I think so.

2nd Jonespost of the day, no Resident Evil included. Come at me DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon .

tenor.gif

Y-y-you're not the Jones I know and love...If you were Jones you would've Resident Evil posted by now...

shinryaku_ika_musume_season_2-05-ika_musme-crying-tears-sad-friendship-regret.jpg

ITS NOT RIGHT

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Didn't we get a Sword and Shield spirit event in smash though?
We did, but none of the spirits were Urshifu, so he's still on the table.
I don't really want another Pokemon rep, but it does seem like the perfect storm between the Pokemon design itself (humanoid, looks designed for a fighter), DLC release schedule, and giving a slot to a fighter that has a unique-ish playstyle.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So were the people who said there wouldn't be any promotions within the first pack right or lucky?
I mean it does make more sense for the first pass given a lot of those characters were decided Spring/Summer 2018. Whatever new plan won't have any barring on base-game spirits. I'll stay true to this as I believe the fan-rule is going to be proven wrong sooner or later.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
All jokes aside, do you think people are going to drop "Pic of the day" theory like the "colored chairs" theory or are we going to be dealing with this for 2 more years?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So I went and made an image with my predictions for Fighters Pass 2...

Allow me to provide some details (spoiler-ed of course, since this entire post would otherwise be too big). First, some general stuff that I think will happen, even if the specific characters above don't happen...
  • I think this pass will introduce a character from a third-party who so far lacks any playable characters.
  • With Capcom and Bandai Namco not getting additional playable characters in the first Pass (and the base game if you don't count Echo Fighters), I'm thinking Fighters Pass 2 will bring in additional characters from those two companies.
  • With this Pass having six characters instead of just five, I think that at least one third-party company will get a "double dip" and have two characters in the pass.
  • With Byleth establishing that first-party characters are still on the table, I think Fighters Pass 2 will have at least one first-party character.
  • Furthermore, I think this Pass will finally give us our first "promoted to playable" character. Whether it's an Assist Trophy, Mii Fighter costume, or a Spirit, I think we're seeing one of those make the jump to being playable in this Pass.
  • With Byleth also establishing that your game doesn't have to be released to be picked for DLC, I think Fighters Pass 2, for better or for worse, will also have another such character: someone whose game wasn't out yet by the time the DLC for Fighters Pass 2 was finalized... a "shill pick" if you're not feeling charitable.
Now, for my very specific predictions for which characters will be in this Pass, along with which Mii Fighter costumes they'll come with...
  1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
    • One of the last few big gaming icons of the NES days, and still has a notable Nintendo connection even today. With Koei Tecmo having a good relationship with Nintendo and even some content in Smash (Fatal Frame's Yuri Kozukata as an Assist Trophy), I think now's the time they're gonna get a playable character, with Hayabusa being the most likely. The Mii Fighter costume wave will mostly be ninja-themed...
      • :ultswordfighter:Momiji (Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword) - A pick for the obvious Ninja Gaiden costume, and a reoccurring character who's also made appearances in Dead or Alive and the Warriors games.
      • :ultbrawler:Kasumi (Dead or Alive) - The designated Dead or Alive costume, who's also a character in the Ninja Gaiden series. Specifically a brawler costume to keep with Dead or Alive being a fighting game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Nobunaga Oda (Samurai Warriors) - The title character of one of Koei Tecmo's long running turn-based strategy game series, specifically based off of his appearance in the Samurai Warriors series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Joe Musashi (Shinobi) - Since Terry technically came with Sega costumes, I could see Hayabusa also coming with similar costumes. For one, Joe Musashi from Sega's own ninja video game series Shinobi would be a perfect fit...
      • :ultbrawler:Kage-Maru (Virtua Fighter) - ...as would Kage-Maru, who would also be a brawler costume like Kasumi.
  2. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
    • In terms of Capcom characters that could make it into Smash, Phoenix Wright honestly feels like the most likely. His only "competition" in regards to other Capcom characters are a Resident Evil character and Dante from Devil May Cry. The former was shot down thanks to a Spirit Event, and while the latter is also likely, I think Wright would manage to edge out between the two. His series is very closely associated with Nintendo (to the point that, along with Professor Layton, Ace Attorney is listed on the Nintendo UK website as part of the Nintendo Characters Hub), having made its home on Nintendo handhelds like the GBA, DS, and 3DS, and his series was also acknowledged by Sakurai, if only for a TGS promo that managed to catch his eye.
      • :ultbrawler:Blue Badger (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - Specifically based off of the full body costume from Ace Attorney Investigations. Also, the blue color will change to pink depending on the Mii Fighter's gender.
      • :ultswordfighter:Steel Samurai and Pink Princess (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - A pair of in-universe fictional characters from the TV show, and perfect fodder for Swordfighter costumes.
      • :ultgunner:Bass (Mega Man 7) - To go with the returning Mega Man costumes, I think we'll likely get a new one based on Bass.
      • :ultswordfighter:Hunter's Armor and Rathalos Armor (Monster Hunter) - The only Capcom costumes that haven't returned yet, and it actually makes sense that they would return with Phoenix Wright, since both the Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter series have had crossover collaborations before.
  3. Heihachi (Tekken)
    • Since the base game of Smash 4, Bandai Namco has had only Pac-Man as their sole playable character. They didn't get one during Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate's base game, or the previous Fighters Pass... so I'm gonna take a shot and say they're getting a character in this pass, specifically Heihachi, the main villain of Bandai Namco's Tekken fighting game series. He's also a character that Sakurai has considered before for Smash 4, and while it ultimately never happened due to Sakurai not knowing how to implement Heihachi's moveset into Smash... Sakurai has changed his mind before, so Fighters Pass 2 might be it this time. Like Terry, Heihachi's Mii Fighter costume wave will be fighting game themed...
      • :ultbrawler:King (Tekken) - There's technically two characters with the name King. The one from the first Tekken game, and his successor from Tekken 3 onward. I think it could go either way with this one.
      • :ultswordfighter:Yoshimitsu (Tekken) - A character who's had different appearances in every Tekken game. I think his Tekken 3 appearance is most likely, considering it has made appearances in more than one game (specifically Tekken Tag Tournament and Street Fighter X Tekken), but who knows. Maybe Sakurai would go with a different one... or maybe Yoshimitsu's Swordfighter costume would have a wholly original Smash design.
      • :ultbrawler:Mokujin (Tekken 3) - A training dummy character who mimics the moves and abilities of the other fighters.
      • :ultswordfighter:Master Raven (Tekken 7) - I don't know if a Tekken 7 costume is likely, but if it happens, I think Master Raven would be the most likely out of Tekken 7's newcomers. INB4 "Negan for Smash" jokes.
      • :ultbrawler:Chun-Li (Street Fighter II) - Really needs no explanation.
      • :ultbrawler:Bahn (Fighting Vipers) - Another Sega fighting game costume, this time a character that appeared in Project X Zone along with Heihachi.
  4. Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
    • ... yup, I think Bandai Namco will be "double dipped" for this Pass. Not only do I think Heihachi is coming, but so is Lloyd, one of the most heavily requested characters for Smash. Both Lloyd and Heihachi were Mii Fighter costumes in Smash 4, and with both being absent so far, I think both will be making the jump to playable status. His Mii Fighter costume wave will all be swordfighters based on other Bandai Namco characters...
      • :ultswordfighter:Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) - Obligatory Tales costumes, the former being one of the most popular characters in the Tales series, and the latter being the main character of the first Tales game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Sophitia (Soulcalibur) - One of the main characters of Bandai Namco's other fighting game series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) - Another big RPG game that Bandai Namco has been involved with (being the publishers of Dark Souls).
      • :ultswordfighter:Valkyrie (The Adventure of Valkyrie) and Gil (The Tower of Druaga) - Two characters from Bandai Namco's classic arcade games, with Gil being another returning costume.
  5. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
    • Byleth has shown that first-party characters are certainly not off the table in regards to Ultimate DLC... and they also show that it's never too late for any character to make it into Smash. I think Rex & Pyra are gonna be the token first-party character of Fighters Pass 2, being from a game that Sakurai has notably praised. Initially a Mii Fighter costume that Sakurai apologized for, they'll also be the first "promoted" character making the jump from being a costume to playable. Like Byleth and Banjo-Kazooie, their Mii Fighter costume wave will be a grab bag of mostly unrelated costumes...
      • :ultswordfighter:The Prince (Prince of Persia) - With Ubisoft getting more content in Smash (such as the Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes), I think it's likely we'll see another costume.
      • :ultgunner:Mei (Overwatch) - Controversy or no, I see Overwatch likely getting some sort of representation. If not a playable character, then at least a Mii costume of a character like Mei.
      • :ultswordfighter:Ancient Nord Armor and Daedric Armor (Skyrim) - Same thing goes for Skyrim, which I can see getting the Monster Hunter treatment of having Mii Fighter costumes based on different armor sets.
      • :ultmiifighters:Chocobo (Final Fantasy) - One of the returning Mii Fighter hats. Might as well include it with another JRPG character...
      • :ultgunner:Quote (Cave Story) - Like Sans and Cuphead, this is another Mii Fighter costume I could see getting the deluxe treatment, with a really good looking costume that closely resembles the character and comes with a music track (specifically, a remix of "On to Grasstown").
  6. Susie (Deltarune)
    • ... yup, I'm going here. I think Fighters Pass 2 is gonna have another Byleth-esque pick that was chosen before their game was even out yet... and it's gonna be Susie from Deltarune, who will also be Ultimate's first fully playable indie game character. At the time of this post, the full game isn't out yet, only the first chapter. We've already gotten a Sans costume, complete with a remix of Megalovania by Toby Fox himself, and we know that Sakurai and Fox are at least on good terms with each other, so it wouldn't surprise me if we were to get a character from Fox's upcoming game. As for the Mii Fighter costumes, it'll mostly be references to games with Toby Fox's involvement...
      • :ultswordfighter:Kris (Deltarune) - The main protagonist of Susie's game.
      • :ultbrawler:Axe (Little Town Hero) - One of two Game Freak games that Fox has had a hand in, in this case writing the entire game's soundtrack.
      • :ultbrawler:Bea (Pokemon Sword and Shield) - The other Game Freak game with music by Toby Fox, albeit just one song this time.
      • :ultswordfighter:Papyrus (Undertale) - Another character from Undertale. Like his brother, he's a Mii Fighter costume who comes with a music track, this time a remix of his theme "Bonetrousle".
      • :ultswordfighter:Shovel Knight - The only exception to the "Toby Fox" theme here. Since a lot of people want Shovel Knight to be playable, I can see Sakurai meeting everyone halfway and making him into a deluxe Mii Fighter costume that comes with a music track (for this one, "In the Halls of the Usurper").

Whether my predictions are right, wrong, or somewhere inbetween, hopefully we won't have to wait long to find out.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So I went and made an image with my predictions for Fighters Pass 2...

Allow me to provide some details (spoiler-ed of course, since this entire post would otherwise be too big). First, some general stuff that I think will happen, even if the specific characters above don't happen...
  • I think this pass will introduce a character from a third-party who so far lacks any playable characters.
  • With Capcom and Bandai Namco not getting additional playable characters in the first Pass (and the base game if you don't count Echo Fighters), I'm thinking Fighters Pass 2 will bring in additional characters from those two companies.
  • With this Pass having six characters instead of just five, I think that at least one third-party company will get a "double dip" and have two characters in the pass.
  • With Byleth establishing that first-party characters are still on the table, I think Fighters Pass 2 will have at least one first-party character.
  • Furthermore, I think this Pass will finally give us our first "promoted to playable" character. Whether it's an Assist Trophy, Mii Fighter costume, or a Spirit, I think we're seeing one of those make the jump to being playable in this Pass.
  • With Byleth also establishing that your game doesn't have to be released to be picked for DLC, I think Fighters Pass 2, for better or for worse, will also have another such character: someone whose game wasn't out yet by the time the DLC for Fighters Pass 2 was finalized... a "shill pick" if you're not feeling charitable.
Now, for my very specific predictions for which characters will be in this Pass, along with which Mii Fighter costumes they'll come with...
  1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
    • One of the last few big gaming icons of the NES days, and still has a notable Nintendo connection even today. With Koei Tecmo having a good relationship with Nintendo and even some content in Smash (Fatal Frame's Yuri Kozukata as an Assist Trophy), I think now's the time they're gonna get a playable character, with Hayabusa being the most likely. The Mii Fighter costume wave will mostly be ninja-themed...
      • :ultswordfighter:Momiji (Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword) - A pick for the obvious Ninja Gaiden costume, and a reoccurring character who's also made appearances in Dead or Alive and the Warriors games.
      • :ultbrawler:Kasumi (Dead or Alive) - The designated Dead or Alive costume, who's also a character in the Ninja Gaiden series. Specifically a brawler costume to keep with Dead or Alive being a fighting game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Nobunaga Oda (Samurai Warriors) - The title character of one of Koei Tecmo's long running turn-based strategy game series, specifically based off of his appearance in the Samurai Warriors series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Joe Musashi (Shinobi) - Since Terry technically came with Sega costumes, I could see Hayabusa also coming with similar costumes. For one, Joe Musashi from Sega's own ninja video game series Shinobi would be a perfect fit...
      • :ultbrawler:Kage-Maru (Virtua Fighter) - ...as would Kage-Maru, who would also be a brawler costume like Kasumi.
  2. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
    • In terms of Capcom characters that could make it into Smash, Phoenix Wright honestly feels like the most likely. His only "competition" in regards to other Capcom characters are a Resident Evil character and Dante from Devil May Cry. The former was shot down thanks to a Spirit Event, and while the latter is also likely, I think Wright would manage to edge out between the two. His series is very closely associated with Nintendo (to the point that, along with Professor Layton, Ace Attorney is listed on the Nintendo UK website as part of the Nintendo Characters Hub), having made its home on Nintendo handhelds like the GBA, DS, and 3DS, and his series was also acknowledged by Sakurai, if only for a TGS promo that managed to catch his eye.
      • :ultbrawler:Blue Badger (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - Specifically based off of the full body costume from Ace Attorney Investigations. Also, the blue color will change to pink depending on the Mii Fighter's gender.
      • :ultswordfighter:Steel Samurai and Pink Princess (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - A pair of in-universe fictional characters from the TV show, and perfect fodder for Swordfighter costumes.
      • :ultgunner:Bass (Mega Man 7) - To go with the returning Mega Man costumes, I think we'll likely get a new one based on Bass.
      • :ultswordfighter:Hunter's Armor and Rathalos Armor (Monster Hunter) - The only Capcom costumes that haven't returned yet, and it actually makes sense that they would return with Phoenix Wright, since both the Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter series have had crossover collaborations before.
  3. Heihachi (Tekken)
    • Since the base game of Smash 4, Bandai Namco has had only Pac-Man as their sole playable character. They didn't get one during Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate's base game, or the previous Fighters Pass... so I'm gonna take a shot and say they're getting a character in this pass, specifically Heihachi, the main villain of Bandai Namco's Tekken fighting game series. He's also a character that Sakurai has considered before for Smash 4, and while it ultimately never happened due to Sakurai not knowing how to implement Heihachi's moveset into Smash... Sakurai has changed his mind before, so Fighters Pass 2 might be it this time. Like Terry, Heihachi's Mii Fighter costume wave will be fighting game themed...
      • :ultbrawler:King (Tekken) - There's technically two characters with the name King. The one from the first Tekken game, and his successor from Tekken 3 onward. I think it could go either way with this one.
      • :ultswordfighter:Yoshimitsu (Tekken) - A character who's had different appearances in every Tekken game. I think his Tekken 3 appearance is most likely, considering it has made appearances in more than one game (specifically Tekken Tag Tournament and Street Fighter X Tekken), but who knows. Maybe Sakurai would go with a different one... or maybe Yoshimitsu's Swordfighter costume would have a wholly original Smash design.
      • :ultbrawler:Mokujin (Tekken 3) - A training dummy character who mimics the moves and abilities of the other fighters.
      • :ultswordfighter:Master Raven (Tekken 7) - I don't know if a Tekken 7 costume is likely, but if it happens, I think Master Raven would be the most likely out of Tekken 7's newcomers. INB4 "Negan for Smash" jokes.
      • :ultbrawler:Chun-Li (Street Fighter II) - Really needs no explanation.
      • :ultbrawler:Bahn (Fighting Vipers) - Another Sega fighting game costume, this time a character that appeared in Project X Zone along with Heihachi.
  4. Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
    • ... yup, I think Bandai Namco will be "double dipped" for this Pass. Not only do I think Heihachi is coming, but so is Lloyd, one of the most heavily requested characters for Smash. Both Lloyd and Heihachi were Mii Fighter costumes in Smash 4, and with both being absent so far, I think both will be making the jump to playable status. His Mii Fighter costume wave will all be swordfighters based on other Bandai Namco characters...
      • :ultswordfighter:Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) - Obligatory Tales costumes, the former being one of the most popular characters in the Tales series, and the latter being the main character of the first Tales game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Sophitia (Soulcalibur) - One of the main characters of Bandai Namco's other fighting game series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) - Another big RPG game that Bandai Namco has been involved with (being the publishers of Dark Souls).
      • :ultswordfighter:Valkyrie (The Adventure of Valkyrie) and Gil (The Tower of Druaga) - Two characters from Bandai Namco's classic arcade games, with Gil being another returning costume.
  5. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
    • Byleth has shown that first-party characters are certainly not off the table in regards to Ultimate DLC... and they also show that it's never too late for any character to make it into Smash. I think Rex & Pyra are gonna be the token first-party character of Fighters Pass 2, being from a game that Sakurai has notably praised. Initially a Mii Fighter costume that Sakurai apologized for, they'll also be the first "promoted" character making the jump from being a costume to playable. Like Byleth and Banjo-Kazooie, their Mii Fighter costume wave will be a grab bag of mostly unrelated costumes...
      • :ultswordfighter:The Prince (Prince of Persia) - With Ubisoft getting more content in Smash (such as the Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes), I think it's likely we'll see another costume.
      • :ultgunner:Mei (Overwatch) - Controversy or no, I see Overwatch likely getting some sort of representation. If not a playable character, then at least a Mii costume of a character like Mei.
      • :ultswordfighter:Ancient Nord Armor and Daedric Armor (Skyrim) - Same thing goes for Skyrim, which I can see getting the Monster Hunter treatment of having Mii Fighter costumes based on different armor sets.
      • :ultmiifighters:Chocobo (Final Fantasy) - One of the returning Mii Fighter hats. Might as well include it with another JRPG character...
      • :ultgunner:Quote (Cave Story) - Like Sans and Cuphead, this is another Mii Fighter costume I could see getting the deluxe treatment, with a really good looking costume that closely resembles the character and comes with a music track (specifically, a remix of "On to Grasstown").
  6. Susie (Deltarune)
    • ... yup, I'm going here. I think Fighters Pass 2 is gonna have another Byleth-esque pick that was chosen before their game was even out yet... and it's gonna be Susie from Deltarune, who will also be Ultimate's first fully playable indie game character. At the time of this post, the full game isn't out yet, only the first chapter. We've already gotten a Sans costume, complete with a remix of Megalovania by Toby Fox himself, and we know that Sakurai and Fox are at least on good terms with each other, so it wouldn't surprise me if we were to get a character from Fox's upcoming game. As for the Mii Fighter costumes, it'll mostly be references to games with Toby Fox's involvement...
      • :ultswordfighter:Kris (Deltarune) - The main protagonist of Susie's game.
      • :ultbrawler:Axe (Little Town Hero) - One of two Game Freak games that Fox has had a hand in, in this case writing the entire game's soundtrack.
      • :ultbrawler:Bea (Pokemon Sword and Shield) - The other Game Freak game with music by Toby Fox, albeit just one song this time.
      • :ultswordfighter:Papyrus (Undertale) - Another character from Undertale. Like his brother, he's a Mii Fighter costume who comes with a music track, this time a remix of his theme "Bonetrousle".
      • :ultswordfighter:Shovel Knight - The only exception to the "Toby Fox" theme here. Since a lot of people want Shovel Knight to be playable, I can see Sakurai meeting everyone halfway and making him into a deluxe Mii Fighter costume that comes with a music track (for this one, "In the Halls of the Usurper").

Whether my predictions are right, wrong, or somewhere inbetween, hopefully we won't have to wait long to find out.
Why Susie and not Kris?

You know. The main character of Deltarune?

Otherwise this feels like a rather by-the-books prediction. It'd be okay, but hardly as good as Fighters Pass 1 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's funny because while I was watching Byleth's trailer, all I could think about was how their moveset reminded me of Monster Hunter with the various large weapons and the emphasis on switching between them. A small part of me thought that Nintendo originally planned to put Monster Hunter in and got some of the work done, but for some reason they lost the rights partway through and instead of scrapping what they had, they integrated the existing work into Byleth.

But that's just a theory...
a game theory
Almost all of Byleth's moves have their animations taken straight from Three Houses, never mind the fact that the Sword of the Creator has no whipsword equivalent in Monster Hunter and Areadbhar doesn't work like a MH lance. So you'd be left with exactly five moves: Aymr with the down air, down smash, and down special, and Failnaught with the neutral air and neutral special, because only axes and bows work the same way between Three Houses and Monster Hunter.

And even then, Aymr's using a direct Three Houses animation reference during the down special, and down air and down smash are very standard axe attacks that pretty much everyone was predicting in the Edelgard thread (since its her weapon). And Failnaught's neutral special is self explanatory (a chargeable bow shot), while the neutral air is explicitly Pit's with, to my knowledge, no equivalent move in Monster Hunter.

So there's really no reason at all to think Byleth is a replacement for Monster Hunter. The moveset is very clearly made with Byleth in mind.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 258452

Y-y-you're not the Jones I know and love...If you were Jones you would've Resident Evil posted by now...

View attachment 258453

ITS NOT RIGHT
Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard, is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara, and owned by the Video Game company Capcom. The Franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The Story follows outbreaks of Zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Company.

In this essay I will...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard, is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara, and owned by the Video Game company Capcom. The Franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The Story follows outbreaks of Zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Company.

In this essay I will...
Jones its you...

I never thought you'd come back...

418922807947427840.png

Arcari17

Smash Rookie
I don't really want another Pokemon rep, but it does seem like the perfect storm between the Pokemon design itself (humanoid, looks designed for a fighter), DLC release schedule, and giving a slot to a fighter that has a unique-ish playstyle.
I truly feel like the chances of a Gen 8 Pokemon reveal are close, if not straight up 100%.

The first batch of Sw/Sh DLC is June, yes? E3 is also in June. If Nintendo doesn't take that opportunity to not only promote their DLC but also reveal a Gen 8 Pokemon for Smash, I'll be legitimately shocked.

Now, I'm also willing to believe that there will be a huge third-party character reveal at E3 as well; it won't just be Pokemon. Nintendo has to hype folks up so they'll shell out the cash for FP2 after all.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Why Susie and not Kris?

You know. The main character of Deltarune?
Either one is likely, but after Smash 4 had Robin and Lucina but not Chrom, Susie getting into Smash without Kris wouldn't surprise me.

A better question is: Why Deltarune over UNDERTALE? Not only is the latter more recognizable, it's also a fully complete game unlike Deltarune.
Sakurai admitted to picking Byleth based on his experience with an early version of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens again with another game, in this case Deltarune.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Either one is likely, but after Smash 4 had Robin and Lucina but not Chrom, Susie getting into Smash without Kris wouldn't surprise me.

Sakurai admitted to picking Byleth based on his experience with an early version of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens again with another game, in this case Deltarune.
Except Kris is definitely the main character of Deltarune, and Three Houses was within Sakurai's access as it was a Nintendo game. Not saying Deltarune wouldn't be in Sakurai reach, but Three Houses was a major Nintendo release, and Deltarune is a relatively large indie release. There's less motivation to go after it.

I really feel like you're reaching here.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn¨t people claim that she was switched out with Isaac because of the earthquake?
Me whenever I saw someone claim that: bro u just posted cringe ur gonna lose subscriber

for real tho, ppl DIED and you’re making it about your stupid ass conspiracy theories??

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
...because the DLC wasn't revealed yet.
I truly feel like the chances of a Gen 8 Pokemon reveal are close, if not straight up 100%.

The first batch of Sw/Sh DLC is June, yes? E3 is also in June. If Nintendo doesn't take that opportunity to not only promote their DLC but also reveal a Gen 8 Pokemon for Smash, I'll be legitimately shocked.

Now, I'm also willing to believe that there will be a huge third-party character reveal at E3 as well; it won't just be Pokemon. Nintendo has to hype folks up so they'll shell out the cash for FP2 after all.
Except Sakurai only promotes the latest generation at release. For base roster he sets aside a spot for Pokémon. DLC is a different ball game, and with the flaming ball of controversy that is Sword and Shield, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't even include it on their lists. If it did, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai went for other, more interesting or proven characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom