• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I see Spirits more likely getting promoted before assists.
I see both, but I don’t think it really matters anyway. Sakurai likely just looked at some fan requests and then decided if he thought they’d make a good fighter or not. Really don’t think he was thinking in terms of if it makes more sense to promote a spirit or AT.

You could argue that AT’s already had the work done to be AT’s so he wouldn’t want to bother making them into a fighter. But at the same time it’s possible some AT’s were close to being playable so he went to the next step of giving them models, but just didn’t have the time to give them a full move set. Now he does.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see both, but I don’t think it really matters anyway. Sakurai likely just looked at some fan requests and then decided if he thought they’d make a good fighter or not. Really don’t think he was thinking in terms of if it makes more sense to promote a spirit or AT.

You could argue that AT’s already had the work done to be AT’s so he wouldn’t want to bother making them into a fighter. But at the same time it’s possible some AT’s were close to being playable so he went to the next step of giving them models, but just didn’t have the time to give them a full move set. Now he does.
kinda feel like Spring Man falls into the "AT’s [who] were close to being playable so he went to the next step of giving them models, but just didn’t have the time to give them a full move set" category, idk why I just have that intuition

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Am I the only one who still thinks that Spirits, Assist Trophies, Stage Hazards, and background characters deconfirm new fighters?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ok but the real question is

what will Byleth's codename be???

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
kinda feel like Spring Man falls into the "AT’s [who] were close to being playable so he went to the next step of giving them models, but just didn’t have the time to give them a full move set" category, idk why I just have that intuition
Could be. I don’t know how well ARMS has done though for maybe Nintendo to want to push it. If we’re to believe that this next pass is going to be catering to fans (although we all know there will be one or two “shill” picks) I guess it depends on how much people wanted him as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

Just a few thoughts,

Regarding rules, don't you all feel that Sakurai actually has and follows his own rules for characters? There's the exclusion of non-videogame characters and that it seems Sakurai also tries to give his all in all entries. He seems to hear fans to a degree but not in a way it dictates everything of what he does in the game.

I understand the desire for upgrades but at the same time I don't see upgrades for one simple reason, do you actually all think that the pool is so small that upgrading is the only option? Nintendo whether we like it or not, releases new entries to franchises and attempts new IPs every now and then, I see them more likely to add them not for promotion but for pride in knowing they keep making new stuff. There are also popular 3rd party franchises that are quite attractive in regards of crossover potential and from companies that are close to Nintendo.

Case in point, one of the most popular upgrade talk is Waluigi but just think about him he has been passed several games and even Piranha Plant got in before him. Does this means he doesn't have a chance of being playable? Of course he can be playable but so far I see little to no incentive from Sakurai to add him and with Nintendo making new entries to their own franchises, creating new franchises altogether and introducing new characters, I just see the situation difficult for AT and spirits to some degree in general at least for this game.

Is there actually a pattern for dlc? Yes,
DLC for Ultimate seems to be aimed to different groups and fanbases as well as being from series of different impact or popularity as well different eras. And I'm going to be honest, there is not a single character that will appease every group.

That said, the theory of Hayabusa and Byleth being changed? That sounds incredibly silly if only because I don't think any of the two characters can carry being the starter as well as Joker. Which I would say a character like Sora or 2B would be more fit if its a single reveal due to their popularity worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
We have been given **** since Robin and Lucina ( a game where we only had 4 characters at the base game), and the twitter memes argument doesn¨t work since that one has occurred with every DLC character so far. Hoes Mad is a meme in it of itself at this point and will reoccur for the 6th as well
Well feel free to keep making Fire Emblem and its fans even more disliked I guess. I certainly wont stop you.

D

Deleted member

Only the Axe and somewhat the Bow. Monster Hunter has no Whip swords, they wield their Lance very differently from Byleth and Dimitri and they do not use the Bow itself for attacking, instead they attack directly with their arrows when attacking up close.
True but there are some similarities.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Just a few thoughts,

Regarding rules, don't you all feel that Sakurai actually has and follows his own rules for characters? There's the exclusion of non-videogame characters and that it seems Sakurai also tries to give his all in all entries. He seems to hear fans to a degree but not in a way it dictates everything of what he does in the game.

I understand the desire for upgrades but at the same time I don't see upgrades for one simple reason, do you actually all think that the pool is so small that upgrading is the only option? Nintendo whether we like it or not, releases new entries to franchises and attempts new IPs every now and then, I see them more likely to add them not for promotion but for pride in knowing they keep making new stuff. There are also popular 3rd party franchises that are quite attractive in regards of crossover potential and from companies that are close to Nintendo.

Case in point, one of the most popular upgrade talk is Waluigi but just think about him he has been passed several games and even Piranha Plant got in before him. Does this means he doesn't have a chance of being playable? Of course he can be playable but so far I see little to no incentive from Sakurai to add him and with Nintendo making new entries to their own franchises, creating new franchises altogether and introducing new characters, I just see the situation difficult for AT and spirits to some degree in general at least for this game.

DLC for Ultimate seems to be aimed to different groups and fanbases as well as being from series of different impact or popularity as well different eras. And I'm going to be honest, there is not a single character that will appease every group.

That said, the theory of Hayabusa and Byleth being changed? That sounds incredibly silly if only because I don't think any of the two characters can carry being the starter as well as Joker. Which I would say a character like Sora or 2B would be more fit if its a single reveal due to their popularity worldwide.
No. I don’t think he follows any rules. I think for the most part he just adds characters he thinks would be interesting or have a unique move set. With the exception of a few “marketing” characters Nintendo might suggest or a third party company might ask for.

Ultimate is the exception where he has finally decided to add some fan requested characters, but even then I think he still looks at them and decides if he feels like they’d make good additions rather than just saying “Well, that’s what they want so I guess I’ll just do it.”

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Everyone: WHEN IS FIGHTER 5 COMING OUT??
*Byleth gets announced*
Everyone: WHEN IS FIGHTER 6 COMING OUT??

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Am I the only one who still thinks that Spirits, Assist Trophies, Stage Hazards, and background characters deconfirm new fighters?
Sakurai could still avoid those characters when making this new pass, but it wouldn't have been planned. The first pass was being made while the base game was still in development. It's not like he would've said, "Hey, let's leave (insert AT/Spirit) out of the game just in case the DLC sells really well and Nintendo ups the budget."

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
At this point, the only thing that would surprise me would be if he added characters from franchise that did not originate as videogames.

And I'm going to be honest, there is not a single character that will appease every group.
That's an understatement

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sakurai could still avoid those characters when making this new pass, but it wouldn't have been planned. The first pass was being made while the base game was still in development. It's not like he would've said, "Hey, let's leave (insert AT/Spirit) out of the game just in case the DLC sells really well and Nintendo ups the budget.
Is there even any evidence at all that a second pass wasn't already planned from the beginning? Just because they announced it later doesn't mean it wasn't already in the works.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I've pretty much accepted that Rex will never happen and this is also unlikely as hell since spirits disconfirm characters and upgrades aren't in the cards at the moment (I really want them but I'm definitely not holding my breath), but my big pipe dream for season 2 is Mecha Fiora being chosen as a promotional pick for Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

God, that would just be ****ing amazing.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I've pretty much accepted that Rex will never happen and this is also unlikely as hell since spirits disconfirm characters and upgrades aren't in the cards at the moment (I really want them but I'm definitely not holding my breath), but my big pipe dream for season 2 is Mecha Fiora being chosen as a promotional pick for Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.
A promotional pick for a remaster of a game that already has a character, music, spirits and stage in Ultimate... yeah, not happening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Is there even any evidence at all that a second pass wasn't already planned from the beginning? Just because they announced it later doesn't mean it wasn't already in the works.
I know Imran Khan said they decided on it around E3 last year; he's one of those top insiders I think.

I thought maybe Sakurai said something too, but I'm likely wrong because I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sorry, but saying there was a pattern for this DLC pass feels like someone explaining what a toaster, potato, and screwdriver all have in common.

Your explanation doesn't really hone in on specific characters. "Different groups and fanbases as well as being from series of different impact or popularity as well different eras," is something that could apply to literally every character.

Is there any evidence to suggest it was already planned? If not, then just take what they said at face value, because that's drifting into tinfoil hat territory.

Ivander

Smash Legend
True but there are some similarities.
I think they are similar in the case of concept, not so much weapons/moveset. Both of them use a variety of weapons, even the MvCInfinite version of Monster Hunter used a variety of weapons like Byleth does. But the main difference between Byleth and Monster Hunter are the weapons they have. Byleth has a Whip sword, Giant Axe, Spear/Glaive and Bow, while Monster Hunter uses Swords and Shields, Duel Swords, Greatswords, Hunting Horns, Hammers, Switch Axes, Charge Blades, Lances and Gunlances(in which they wield them like an actual lance rather than a glaive/naginata like Byleth does), Insect Glaives, Longswords, Both Small and Giant Bowguns, Bows, and in Frontier, Gauntlets.
Basically, while both share the same concept of using multiple weapons, both have different weapons the other doesn't use and both would definitely have different movesets from their choices of weapons alone.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I dunno, I think that spirits that were in base game could very well be added as fighters. They hadn't decided on the 2nd wave of DLC, so maybe they were added cuz Sakurai didn't think they'd get in. ATs, probably less likely.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

I might not be a Xenoblade fan, but I¨m crossing fingers for you that you guys will get something during the DLC cycle

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I don't think Spirits are a definitive deconfirm but very, very unlikely. If Sakurai is really looking to add as many new video game worlds to Smash as possible then upgrading an already represented character would be counterproductive as they already have a role in Smash. And while Byleth does not come from a franchise new to Smash, Three Houses is still a game that had no content whatsoever until now.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
but my big pipe dream for season 2 is Mecha Fiora being chosen as a promotional pick for Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

Honestly thats what i'm hoping. It would make sense.

With Fiora the entirety of my "gaming trio" (the other two are Mario and Lucario) would be playable in the same game.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I wonder if DLC Fighter 6 will be at E3. Or perhaps a Nintendo Direct in March? It's just crazy to think that the pre-order for the pass is available in January and we may not get the first character for half a year.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo execs (like Furukawa, you know, Nintendo's President and Ultimate's Excecutive Producer. He's a marketing guy. I'm underlining that for a reason) considered FE a really safe choice. And for good reason - FE's been getting more crossovers recently, Heroes is doing really well on mobile and FE's one of those rare franchises that gets new main characters with each new game (alongside Pokemon and Xenoblade). They know that Corrin was divisive: people still downloaded Corrin in enough numbers to convince the execs regardless of how 3H turned out. In other words, Nintendo execs are aiming to turn FE into a flagship and have another way to make $. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Furukawa and the other execs were a bit too unsure about Xenoblade at the moment,

I also get the (very personal) impression that Sakurai's always wanted to emphasize that the FE characters are strategic fighters (In this case, the whole emphasizing "Countered / Reflect" thing and designating Byleth as a "Distance Demon"). And Byleth presented a rare opportunity to do so. Sakurai's also a FE fan, that has helped the series a lot over the years.

I personally would've preferred Xenoblade, yes, but I'm not gonna fret over Byleth at all.
Honestly, while I get it being a "safe" choice, it still feels like a case of putting too many eggs in one basket. 31 of 82 fighters in Ultimate come from 4 franchises alone. Being too afraid to take risks can prevent Nintendo from earning money in other fronts as well. And we've seen it happen in the past.

Of course, I say that, but they're not nearly as bad as a few other game companies *cough* Sega *cough* Capcom *cough cough* Konami. Still, at this pace, we'll have to yell into the void for 20 more years before we get things like Advance Wars, Golden Sun or Style Savvy to have a playable fighter.

It¨s so funny how many "fan rules" Sakurai has killed over the years
https://twitter.com/RevolutionRidly/status/1217959248195391489
Hmm. Might have to update my signature.

Assist Trophies Disconfirm is the next rule to be broken... mark my words.
Speaking of fan theories... What do you all reckon will happen with these two:

1. Spirits will not be upgraded into fighters (let's throw assist trophy upgrades in here as well).

2. Spirit board events mean no fighters are coming from that franchise.

I'm betting that both of these end up staying true with the next fighter pass. The off chance of it being broken would come from a Pokemon rep and/or a spirit upgrade as one of the six.
...And yes, I know what I just said, but for now I don't see any of these three being broken. Maybe something will happen in the near future that will make me optimistic in relation to them, but... that time isn't now. I honestly think that if we get an upgrade, it'll be just one to appease the fanbase, but a future 2020 release will probably take priority for first parties imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly if FP8 isn’t Octoling it’ll be the biggest missed opportunity ever, esp since Octo Expansion kept up a huge number 8 motif

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not sure if we'll get a Xenoblade character in season 2. Don't get me wrong I would love to see a Xenoblade character since Rex getting snubbed still stings, but at this point I have very little hope in seeing a Xenoblade character. Maybe Mecha Fiora might have a chance to be DLC to promote Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition but I'm not counting on it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wonder if DLC Fighter 6 will be at E3. Or perhaps a Nintendo Direct in March? It's just crazy to think that the pre-order for the pass is available in January and we may not get the first character for half a year.
Likely E3 because of ge statement of "Taking more time", the pass running until December 31st, 2021. We should also be getting fighter 7 as the last few has been double reveals.

2015: Roy and Ryu
2018: Daisy and Ridley
2019: Hero and Banjo

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Reminder that rules haven't changed for the second pass: every character must come with stage, music and spirit board. Pretty much means any game already represented in Ultimate is not getting any "upgrades".

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Likely E3 because of ge statement of "Tsking more time", the pass running until December 31st, 2021. We should also be getting fighter 7 as the last few has been double reveals.

2015: Roy and Ryu
2018: Daisy and Ridley
2019: Hero and Banjo
Yeah, but like...half a year? That's a lot of time. Wouldn't they want to release one within a month or two to drum up some sales while it's still new? Even if we have to wait a long time for the second one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kinda stinks seeing so many people give up before the pass even started. I thought a first-party getting in as fighter #5 after months and months of "only third-parties, only third-parties, only third-parties," being played on loop would be enough to turn the community on its edge.

Instead, all I'm seeing is more of the same. "Only third-parties, only new franchises, Byleth is probably our only Nintendo character."

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yeah, but like...half a year? That's a lot of time. Wouldn't they want to release one within a month or two to drum up some sales while it's still new? Even if we have to wait a long time for the second one.
It's been about 5 months since Terry in September, waiting 5 months for the first fighter in the second pass at E3 in June will be similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom