• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So if we take Vergeben's word to account whose left in the running?
Ones left in the running are

-Bethesda(but I doubt it now. I thought it was likely because of that cacomallow leak but nah)
-marvelous
-frogger
-master chief
-square enix
-BABOOM
-Nintendo
-Assists & spirits
-epic games

this list was based on sabi saying that “#5 seems to be one he listed in his old list but not the ones he didn’t list”
D310FB0E-1EE9-406F-83B8-314F70EA9EDA.jpeg
And combine that with his new deconfirm list

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ones left in the running are

-Bethesda(but I doubt it now. I thought it was likely because of that cacomallow leak but nah)
-marvelous
-frogger
-master chief
-square enix
-BABOOM
-Nintendo
-Assists & spirits
-epic games

this list was based on sabi saying that “#5 seems to be one he listed in his old list but not the ones he didn’t list”
Alright Master Chief is still in the running of my current prediction then!

D

Deleted member

Considering that it's been quite a while since the last character, how high do you guys think are the chances of a double reveal?
It could happen, but I don't see a double reveal just because of how long we waited. Those are best saved for E3 anyways.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just to be clear, though, I am hoping we see FP5 soon. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the marketing strategy.

TBH though, I realize the wait for me is easy because I'm not that invested in DLC at this point. I highly doubt it'll be characters I like, so it makes it easy to not be super eager for it. :p

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
media-only post
Gonna have to respectfully disagree there: Characters are functions. They are functions for the player to interact wit the game, and are only given importance from those who attach themselves to the character or brand they come from.

Joker was a function teased to get Season Pass purchases. And it worked pretty darn well.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Joker was an early teaser like Mewtwo was, and TBH didn't take that long to come out: December to April isn't long at all. As I said, they do teasers occasionally, but it is not common and usually is something only done once.

As for generating discussion, that part was more my personal preference, but if we're gonna dive into that topic: Let's be real here, the speculation scene doesn't matter to Nintendo. We're a tiny blip on the much, MUCH bigger radar, and 90% of us are gonna buy whatever it ends up being in the end anyways. Their marketing strategies aren't being formulated to please a couple hundred people on a forum, it's designed to attract attention from everywhere they can, and so far, their release schedule and marketing is working: Every new fighter trends on social media, fan art comes in droves, and people all rush to buy and play as soon as it comes out. I fail to see what part of this schedule is bad or isn't working outside of us hardcore fans getting impatient and wanting to know everything now.
Uuuh, maybe we're miscommunicating or something, but didn't you just say that one of the reasons Nintendo does things the way it does is to keep conversation going? If only us "tiny blips on their radar" are doing it right now, then yeah, there is something wrong with the schedule. What we're getting is peaks of fanart/social media trending topics, followed by months of dead silence.

Frankly, Joker was a bit more bearable despite the four-month wait because we knew what character we'd get. And that "teaser with no gameplay" generated more discussion than it would have if Joker had been revealed only in his April release. People care about way more than just gameplay when it comes to crossover fighters.

The idea here is basically: just because it's been this way for so long doesn't mean it should stay like that. Maybe there's a better way to do it instead?

D

Deleted member

Just to be clear, though, I am hoping we see FP5 soon. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the marketing strategy.
We're in luck because the deadline is definitely in a month. Last year, we were wondering if Erdrick would reveal at the February direct like optimistic fools.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Considering that it's been quite a while since the last character, how high do you guys think are the chances of a double reveal?
I'm semi confident. FP5 1000% definitely.

I think the most likely scenario is FP5 and an explanation of beyond.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I definitely can't get behind the whole "characters are just functions" thing. Who a character is is just as important as what a character does.

Otherwise things like Echo Fighters wouldn't exist, for example.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Guess nothing worthwhile had transpired. Maybe Fate doesn't want me to watch the Direct with you guys, so I think everyone is almost pointing to February
Did you just say Fate? Saber for Smash everybody! Black Velvet had FP5 info all along; keeping to herself. You almost got away with it too. jk

MooMew64

This mentality is the reason why MvC Infinite failed FYI
I figured that post was gonna get me responses like this, ha ha. Oh well.

Characters are, to me, just ways to interact with the game, but of course people want to play with their favorites. I probably could've worded my post a little better, admittedly.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, I definitely can't get behind the whole "characters are just functions" thing. Who a character is is just as important as what a character does.

Otherwise things like Echo Fighters wouldn't exist, for example.
As I said, that mentality was used to defend MvCI cutting out all the X-Men. It didn't go over well.

Dutch Raikuna

I figured that post was gonna get me responses like this, ha ha. Oh well.

Characters are, to me, just ways to interact with the game, but of course people want to play with their favorites. I probably could've worded my post a little better, admittedly.
From my point of view it's similar to saying that drawings are just colours put together or characters in novels are just written scribbles for example. You're not wrong, it's just not a good way of looking at things like that.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
What exactly has Verge said? Verge hasn’t said anything recently at least according to his GameFaqs profile. His last post was pertaining to DQ11S and was over 2 weeks ago. Is kinda confusing if you did mean the deconfirmations now.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Let's play a game. Sakurai makes an anime smash Bros. What would be the roster?
Rules:

1. Each anime has to have 3 reps
2. A total of 10 animes can be chosen
3. You can also add 5 unlockable characters from any of the 10 chosen anime.
I'm in, gonna make mine Shonen Jump themed for simplicity's sake

Dragon Ball: Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, (Unlockable) Frieza
One Piece: Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, (Unlockable) Marshall D. Teach (or possibly Akainu)
Naruto: Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi, (Unlockable) Madara
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Jonathan, Joseph (Part 2), Jotaro, (Unlockable) DIO
Yu Yu Hakusho: Yusuke, Kurama, Hiei, (Unlockable) Younger Toguro
Hunter x Hunter: Gon, Killua, Hisoka
Fist of the North Star: Kenshiro, Jagi, Raoh
Saint Seiya: Seiya, Shiryu, Shun (sorry, Hyoga)
Bleach: Ichigo, Rukia, Aizen
My Hero Academia: Midoriya, Bakugo, Todoroki

MooMew64

From my point of view it's similar to saying that drawings are just colours put together or characters in novels are just written scribbles for example. You're not wrong, it's just not a good way of looking at things like that.
Oh yeah I agree. It was a bad take and was just me being contrarian for contrarian sake.

I'll take the L here: I was wrong. I do agree with what you and Opossum Opossum said. :drshrug:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Rules:

Let's see here. I'm only having one rep per anime mostly because I can't think of a second or third for each:
1. K-ON!: Yui Hirasawa
2. Dragon Ball Z: Goku
3. Squid Girl: Ika
4. Yu-Gi-Oh: Yugi
5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Jotaro
6. Monster Musume: Miia
7. Fairy Tale: Whoever the main character is
8. Oz no Mahōtsukai: Dorothy Gale
9. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Tohru
10. Toradora: Taiga

MooMew64

Uuuh, maybe we're miscommunicating or something, but didn't you just say that one of the reasons Nintendo does things the way it does is to keep conversation going? If only us "tiny blips on their radar" are doing it right now, then yeah, there is something wrong with the schedule. What we're getting is peaks of fanart/social media trending topics, followed by months of dead silence.

Frankly, Joker was a bit more bearable despite the four-month wait because we knew what character we'd get. And that "teaser with no gameplay" generated more discussion than it would have if Joker had been revealed only in his April release. People care about way more than just gameplay when it comes to crossover fighters.

The idea here is basically: just because it's been this way for so long doesn't mean it should stay like that. Maybe there's a better way to do it instead?
Conversation among more casual fans was more my point. Casual fans don't really get as antsy about the announcements as we do here in the core Smash fandom.

I do think there probably is a slightly better way of handling things personally, yeah, but my posts were more about trying to see things from Nintendo's perspective.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Thought just occurred to me with the CacoMallow leak and why it actually doesn't look good for Doomguy & Geno. Looking at the release of DLC it's always between 2 to 3 months.
Piranha Plant in February
Joker in April
Hero in July
Banjo in September
Terry in November
Fighter Five in February

Now the CacoMallow leak was shown in November, before Terry's release. It shown they were fully ready to be released but they weren't. With these costumes being tested out with Ken it seems likely that they'll release in February with the Fifth Fighter. It seems weird that they would make two fully functional Mii Costumes to test if hypothetical they're releasing with both Doomguy & Geno who ain't releasing for another 2 to 6 months with an additional 3 months of it being leaked. If anything one of those characters are playable as Fighter Six with the other being a Mii Costume or both of them are Mii Costume with Fighter Five. There's a lot that needs to go into Smash Bros like testing each fighter for every patch, so why test these Costumes so early, especially when the newest update was releasing in a few days when it was recorded.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Thought just occurred to me with the CacoMallow leak and why it actually doesn't look good for Doomguy & Geno. Looking at the release of DLC it's always between 2 to 3 months.
Joker in April
Hero in July
Banjo in September
Terry in November
Fighter Five in February

Now the CacoMallow leak was shown in November, before Terry's release. It shown they were fully ready to be released but they weren't. With these costumes being tested out with Ken it seems likely that they'll release in February with the Fifth Fighter. It seems weird that they would make two fully functional Mii Costumes to test if hypothetical they're releasing with both Doomguy & Geno who ain't releasing for another 2 to 6 months with an additional 3 months of it being leaked. If anything one of those characters are playable as Fighter Six with the other being a Mii Costume or both of them are Mii Costume with Fighter Five. There's a lot that needs to go into Smash Bros like testing each fighter for every patch, so why test these Costumes so early, especially when the newest update was releasing in a few days when it was recorded.
I'm not arguing for or against it, but I will say that developing anything takes time. Likely they need to test that the costumes work on all stages (including unreleased ones) while checking for additional bugs (like if suddenly the hat vanished when grabbing an item).

Dutch Raikuna

Oh yeah I agree. It was a bad take and was just me being contrarian for contrarian sake.

I'll take the L here: I was wrong. I do agree with what you and Opossum Opossum said. :drshrug:
It's okay, my friend. It's an interesting thing to debate about I'll admit from your saying of it. Yes characters are functions for example but in a greater context I think a debate of looking at anything from the most basic of what it is that makes said thing appealing to us.

MooMew64

I.D. I.D. Looking back at the arguments, I do see what you were trying to say, and I agree with it. Sorry if I seemed rude, got a little caught up in debate there, ha ha.

My original point is a really bad look at it. It takes away the heart and soul of what makes a game fun, so I'm honestly not quite sure why I said it. One of those things where I guess I just didn't think it through all the way. :laugh:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Assuming it won’t be a repeating company or 1st party, and taking Sabis tweet into account.

>Dovahkin
>Spyro
>Contra protagonist
>Harvest Moon protagonist
>Jonesy
>Diablo or Warcraft rep
>Naegi

I’d include Kasumi, but it should be obvious she isn’t getting in anytime soon.

D

Deleted member

Taking Frank’s tweet saying chief is not dlc is just not right. He said halo 2 anniversary wouldn’t happen but look what happened then. you can’t really figure out if he’s telling the truth or not and this can’t convince me he’s not dlc

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Taking Frank’s tweet saying chief is not dlc is just not right. He said halo 2 anniversary wouldn’t happen but look what happened then. you can’t really figure out if he’s telling the truth or not and this can’t convince me he’s not dlc
Company workers literally cannot win with this community.

If he slipped up and said Master Chief was in the game, it would be treated as a leak for him, and people would be celebrating wildly. And if he says “No” (which is exactly what he did), then it would be a “NDA”.

Sorry, he is 99.99% not FP5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Company workers literally cannot win with this community.

If he slipped up and said Master Chief was in the game, it would be treated as a leak for him, and people would be celebrating wildly. And if he says “No” (which is exactly what he did), then it would be a “NDA”.

Sorry, he is 99.99% not FP5.
You can’t say he is happening if your under an NDA

besides push said this about NDAs back in may
https://twitter.com/pushdustin/status/1124330920113131520?s=21
https://twitter.com/pushdustin/status/1124330931274182656?s=21

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Joker in April
Hero in July
Banjo in September
Terry in November
Fighter Five in February

Personally, to me, it always seemed obvious that the "leak" was made to bait people into thinking the costumes would come with Terry. The fact that people are still clinging to it honestly surprises me.

I'll take the L if it's real, of course, but I have no reason to believe the Cacodemon/Mallow "leak" is legit.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
how many people you think will take this as a hint?
OH MY GOD I WISH THIS WAS A HINT!

Rules:

My Hero Academia:
Izuku Midoriya
Katsuki Bakugo
Ochaco Uraraka
Tenya Iida (Unlockable)
Minoru Mineta (Unlockable)
Tsuyu Asui (Unlockable)
Eijiro Kirishima (Unlockable)
Shoto Todoroki (Unlockable)

Chobits:
Chii
Hideki Motosuwa
Hiromu Shinbo & Sumomo

Pokemon Sun & Moon:
Ash Ketchum
Kiawe
Mallow
Sophocles
Lillie
Lana
Faba (Unlockable)
Professor Kukui/Masked Royal Echo (unlockable)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Assuming it won’t be a repeating company or 1st party, and taking Sabis tweet into account.

>Dovahkin
>Spyro
>Contra protagonist
>Harvest Moon protagonist
>Jonesy
>Diablo or Warcraft rep
>Naegi

I’d include Kasumi, but it should be obvious she isn’t getting in anytime soon.
For some reason, I get the feeling Bill Rizer (Contra protagonist) has a decent chance of being fighter 5. Don't know why though.

D

Deleted member

Y’all are sleeping hard on the best Konami rep
42EDE273-354D-473B-AD3F-AD3DCEFF8A20.png

hippety hoppety this challenger pack is my property

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
For some reason, I get the feeling Bill Rizer (Contra protagonist) has a decent chance of being fighter 5. Don't know why though.
Part of me kind of doubts it because of the rumored Hayabusa negotiations. Would be odd to add two NES third parties back to back imo.

I fully believe it will likely be Dragonborn.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd love that, actually. Jonesy would be hilarious and hecka unique.
Hot take: I've noticed that people who treat characters like they're just functions are excessively focused on what would be normie friendly. If you truly believe they're just functions, shouldn't you agree with a certain quote from the Terry direct, rather than hoping Smash is a checklist of the top 10 trending games?

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
This mentality is the reason why MvC Infinite failed FYI
No it didn't

In 10:30 I fell like is a definite rebuttal to people who keep circlejerking about how that statement is inherently wrong

It's alot more nauce than Fighting games fans make it out to be

And there many people who are still enjoying the game / the game have got positive reviews

MooMew64 MooMew64 isn't wrong

Last edited:

MooMew64

Hot take: I've noticed that people who treat characters like they're just functions are excessively focused on what would be normie friendly. If you truly believe they're just functions, shouldn't you agree with a certain quote from the Terry direct, rather than hoping Smash is a checklist of the top 10 trending games?
I...didn't say that Smash should be a checklist of the top 10 trending games? Where did you get that impression? Also, I just got done saying the earlier "characters are just functions" take I had was bad and said I was wrong.

I was just commenting that Jonesy would be fun. I could care less that Fortnite is popular. I just want fun characters I like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom