• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I know the Nightmare/Namco discussion has long since died, but I'd like to bring up an IGN article relating to Sakurai's viewpoint on Namco-Bandai fighters, at least at the time of Smash 4's development. Mainly, "Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco-Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game." Note that Sakurai has of course changed his mind before, and his ideology of third-party characters needing to be "a very special case" seems to have been broken this time around as well. I just think it's important to realize that in the eyes of Sakurai (and likely Namco themselves), Namco-Bandai is not owed another fighter.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Things are getting ####-posty around here.
We are really starved for news.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Switching over miis doesn’t really seem this incredibly simple. Think about the modeling that’s going with persona towards snk. Ditching plans seems too risky with their current multitasking.
I don't see how miis would put a dent in things...? They decided the extra DLC around E3, they could've delayed the missing mii costumes if they had another SE character and a Namco character in mind for after the first pass.

Though this is really just if they plan to upgrade Geno and either Lloyd or Heihachi.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
A character in Smash 4, a port, and maybe a sequel.
Ah. Oh yeah, that could've been great.
But it wouldn't have been Dagran or Mirania, or have represented the sheer beauty of the online multiplayer where you could use in-game voice lines - so really, what'd be the point

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Still find it strange that all the Mario Spin-offs are referenced in Smash whereas you'd think the only Pokemon spin-offs were Snap, Stadium and Detective Pikachu if Smash is to be belived.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Pop quiz time: post a character you'd be happy to see get -any- recognition in Smash Bros Ultimate and what your choices would be for things like a song inclusion or Spirit Battle.

I'm gonna go with Umihara Kawase, my favorite 90s Japanese indie character from a game about using a fishing line as a hookshot and swinging around.
This would be my choice of song, while her Spirit Battle would be a fight against Young Link who likes using grabs and air-tethers. If she got more than one, a survival match against the randomly appearing sea-life (Squirtles, tiny K. Rools, Greninjas) that haunt the first game before an appearance by the giant tadpole boss (Giant Greninja that damages by running) would fit.
And if you're asking "who the hell is Kamikaze Suzuki or whatever her name is", this should provide all the context you need.
Her series is like if using backwards longjumps in SM64 or sequencebreaking in Super Metroid was the intended way to play all along.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
For the record, the term s***post (and its suffix variations) all lack alliteration and a distinctive je ne sais quoi. Even though I have a tendency to swear, I believe that poopy-post is a superior expression.

On the subject of Dlc newcomers, does anyone want a Fromsoft rep?

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If we're speaking Pokemon spinoffs, would've loved it if Colosseum/XD music had made it into Smash

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Pop quiz time: post a character you'd be happy to see get -any- recognition in Smash Bros Ultimate and what your choices would be for things like a song inclusion or Spirit Battle.
I don't have any characters, but music..... Rundas Theme, Dark Samus Theme, and Tidal Rush. Where are they?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I was hoping to see some Contra music last year when Konami was getting all kinds of content, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

cothero

Smash Lord
I know this is off-topic, but i want to show you my revamped render of Lopunny i made for Pokkén:

Before, as i found on the internet:

dd6o2lj-1123d182-0e9a-4fb9-bd8b-14babac4fd5c.png

After i photoshopped it to look similar to a Pokkén render, adding some fur textures and brighter colors:

428-Pokkén_Lopunny.png

As a huge Pokkén fan, it's beyond my comprehension why they didn't added her.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
>we get ffxiv music in smash

The game has such good songs, and I can easily pick 30+ tracks that would be great picks, but if history is anything to go by, we'd simply get Torn from the Heavens and Hard to Miss if we're lucky.

Rencounter if we're very, very unlucky.

Still find it strange that all the Mario Spin-offs are referenced in Smash whereas you'd think the only Pokemon spin-offs were Snap, Stadium and Detective Pikachu if Smash is to be belived.
Anecdotal, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I recall seeing someone mention that TPC was anal about what could and could not be included in terms of Pokemon, including which games could be referenced. If someone wants to confirm or deny that, cool. If not, I'm going to continue shaking my fist at TPC because they deserve it anyway...

Edit: Nice to see Umihara Kawase get a mention.
I've never been sure if it's legitimately an 'indie' as, IIRC, it was independently-developed, but not independently-published.
Either way, it still carries the same sort of spirit and is a fun thought for a fighter.

As for what I'd like to see get any recognition?
I guess I'd go with
Unfortunately, spirit don't really seem to do much to get a series in the public discussion, and music shoved under the "Other" category is going to be similarly-ignored, but to at least get it acknowledged after all this time would be something...
If Game Freak wants to do something other than Pokemon, bring back Quinty, dammit.

Or Doki Doki Literature Club. That would be fun.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A guy leaves for one day and you guys fill ten pages with lame jokes.

Either the mods did a suicide pact or it all went down lightning fast, in which case, I think I'm impressed.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
D

Deleted member

Whenever I read Kos-Mos, I try really hard to not bring up the Fairy Oddparents character called Cosmo.

D

Deleted member

Either the mods did a suicide pact or it all went down lightning fast, in which case, I think I'm impressed.
You joke, but if Staindgrey died from suicide right now I would be mentally shattered and back to my depressive days at full force.

... yeah, the sadness is kinda bringing the worst thoughts from my brain out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom