• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie 17 - Breaking Bad Mafia! Game over! Who won?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
11/12 players have confirmed! Let's get this game started!

It was just another day in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Cars blowing up at gas stations, airplanes colliding in mid-air, turtles walking around with bombs attached to them, but all of that was overlooked by the disappearance of everyone's favorite cancer patient!

Walter White, Town NPC, has gone missing!​

The residents of Albuquerque gathered to find their beloved friend. Who was responsible for this, the Mexican Cartel or the local meth distributors? Or...both?

Day 1 Begins! With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch!
Deadline 4/22, 11:59 PM EST

Vinyl. [0]
Aleate [0]
Ori_bro [0]
o-Serin-o [0]
GLG [0]
VitaminC [0]
Shottymaster [0]
Jdietz [0]
Kary [0]
Zen [0]
th3kuzinator [0]
Ranmaru [0]

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Welcome to the Day phase of Mafia! Each Day phase lasts a total of 10 real life days, or until a lynch has been decided! During this time, players interact with each other while trying to figure out who is town and who is mafia. How you accomplish this is entirely up to you!

Every player has the ability to vote someone by using the command Vote: (player name). Once a player accumulates the majority of votes, the player will be lynched (removed from game) and their role will be revealed to the rest of the players. You can move your vote as many times as you like, but you can only be voting one person at any given time.

Lastly, if you have any questions related to how the game plays, our two IC players, th3kuzinator and Axel, are here to help out best they can. However, any questions related to your role should be directed to me in private as posting information from your role pm is strictly forbidden!

Below is a good list of things to read related to mafia, check it out!

Don't edit your posts once the Day starts!

Some General Info:

[collapse=Acronyms] AFAIK: As Far As I Know
AtE: Appeal to Emotion
Coasting: The act of a player cruising through the game without providing much content, intentionally or unintentionally.
EBWOP: Edit By Way Of Post. Because actual editing of posts in mafia games is forbidden, the only way to "edit" a post which contains an error is to make another post containing the correction.
IC: Inexperience Challenged.
ISO: To read in Isolation.
IGMEOY: I've Got My Eye On You.
FoS: Finger of Suspicion. Used to indicate that you find someone suspicious but are not going to vote them, for whatever reason (often because you are voting for someone even more suspicious). Cf. HOS, the somewhat more dramatic Hand of Suspicion (very rare).
L-1: Lynch minus one, The second-to-last vote before a lynch is obtained.
L-#: Lynch - number, The number indicates how many votes a player needs to be lynched. Eg, in a 9 player game, a player with 3 votes on him is at L-2 (5-3).
Lurking: Purposefully viewing the thread without posting to observe the game without chiming it. Tactic often used by scum.
LYLO: Lynch-Or-Lose = A stage in the game where the town must lynch scum or they will lose the game
MYLO: Mislynch and Lose = A stage in the game where the town can no-lynch safely. However, should they mislynch instead, it is likely one of the town will die the next night, resulting in a scum victory.
NK: Night Kill.
OMGUS: Oh My God! You Suck!. Usually used in the context of an 'OMGUS vote' - i.e. a vote for someone purely on the basis that they are voting for you.
OP: Original Post
PM: Private Message.
PoE: Process of Elimination.
PR: Power Role.
QFT: Quoted for truth. Said after a quotation to express agreement/approval.
Quicktopic: The medium through which mafia buddies (scumbuddies) or masons can talk.
RVS: Random Voting Stage. Most Mafia games start with a phase wherein people vote for silly reasons, until someone slips up or makes a legitimate accusation.
Scum: Refers to any anti-town faction. In this game will be used to refer to the mafia.
SE: Semi-experienced
SK: Serial Killer (won't be seeing any of them this game but still)
V/LA: Vacation/Limited Access thread, where players should post if they won't be checking MafiaScum.net for more than a few days.
VT: Vanilla Townie.
WIFOM: Wine in Front of Me.
[collapse=Mafia Factions and Power Roles]Town: You should know what that is if its in your role PM :) (and if you don't you're going down).

Mafia: the main anti-town faction in this game and it consists of X amount of players who know eachother's alignment (that being mafia) and may communicate with each other anytime outside of thread. They usually win when their numbers have numerical parity or majority over non-mafia factions.

Indies: players who are neither aligned with town or mafia and usually have the wincon (win condition) of being the last one standing. Because of this, indies are usually tough to win with and are usually given substantial PR (power role) buffs. They may also have a different type of wincon that involves them lynching a specific target or even hammering (casting the final lynch vote) themselves. The latter two are much less common and almost certainly won't be in the setup.

Cults: though generally discouraged from use, are masonesque factions that recruit a player into their ranks each Night. In some variations, when the cult leader dies, so does the entire cult. In others, the leader dying makes it unable for the cult to continue recruiting and the remaining survivor must fight to be the last ones standing.

Here is a mass index for many of the power roles that could be in use throughout your mafia career.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index....Category:Roles

The only factions that will be in this setup are mafia and town while the only power roles will be the ones in the OP (original post).[/collapse]

[collapse=General Advice](Note: using "@Player:" Is a good way to direct questions and make it clear who you are talking to)

Mafia is a game of subtleties and motives. No one is going to tell you they are mafia. However, people will choose certain actions and say certain things because they are town or because they are scum (note: the terms 'scum' and 'mafia' are generally interchangeable for all purposes in this game). It is town's job to find these motives and scum's job to appear to have the motivation of a townie.

Fundamentally, good scum play is inseparable from good town play. Think about this and what it means for your faction.

However, simple games reinforce the fundamentals that make mafia such a fun game, making for some of the best clashes of wits; there are few unknowns other than a players alignment. No where for town or scum to hide. A true test of mafia skill.

Mafia games usually begin with the RVS (random vote stage) where players vote other players with the purpose of building discussion, from which we can begin to scum hunt (the process of finding mafia). During RVS, it is standard practice to also ask "random" questions which serve the same purpose as votes: to generate meaningful discussion.

The name RVS is actually lie, because people do not do things randomly (by the definition of the word). They will almost always have a reason for what they do (even if it's as simple as 'I felt like it'). A more apt name would be the 'Joke Vote Stage.' But if you want to be technical, the JVS could be considered a substage of RVS.

tl;dr: RVS is a loosely defined term for the beginning of a mafia game, where there is no real or productive discussion related to scum hunting.

But remember, it's important sometimes to take things said in RVS with a grain of salt. The key to a successful start is player involvement.

Town's job during RVS is to promote discussion, in an attempt to:
1. learn other players alignments, and
2. demonstrate that they are both town and useful to town's cause.

There is no correct way to play as scum, and thus Mafia's job (especially) during RVS is to
1. appear to be town and
2. (more generally) manipulate lynches so that mafia win.

------

1.) If you are a power-role, ie you are the Cop, the Doctor or similar, it is very important you keep your powers hidden, Do not out yourself unless you are one vote away from being lynched (this is known as L-1) and there are other players asking you to claim. The only other scenario to out yourself is if you are the Cop and have a guilty result on a player.
2.) Do not put the final vote on someone (known as the hammer, or hammering someone) unless they have roleclaimed, or you are confident they won't be able to post before the deadline hits. Even then remember that hammering ends the day so if there is discussion to be had, hold off from hammering
3.) Don't lie! townies lying can cause major problems so if you are town, don't lie.
4.) Don't vote for yourself, whatever your faction is, you gain nothing from it. This can sometimes be an advanced move for a scum faction but I don't think that will be utilized here.
5.) If you find yourself lost in the game, try asking questions that will give interesting information. Asking questions is good so long as you think you can gain useful information from it.
6.) In this game everyone will have a character, keep this information secret as sometimes revealing your character can lead to mafia figuring out your role.
7.) Try not to get too emotionally attached to the game, if someone accuses you of lying, don't take it to heart, just try to respond rationally[/collapse]

[collapse=Some Confusing Terms Explained]WIFOM: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12466366&postcount=234

OMGUS: Voting a player purely on the conjecture that they voted you first while adding no additional reasoning. Frequent move in RVS but usually thought of as scummy when used beyond that.

Chainsaw (defense): Defending another player by attacking their attacker. This is thought of to be a scumtell between players because scum will not usually overtly defend their buddies in thread but they may covertly defend them, as in the example above.

Bus/Bussing: The act of a scum member voting another member of their scumteam to appear pro-town (and not connected with their scum mate) when that first member flips (when the mod announces the player's alignment).[/collapse]Also feel free to ask me a mechanics question at any time at the game and I will give you an unbiased answer, regardless of what I think of your alignment. The entire point of this game is to get you interested in mafia in the first place!

Sorry if you hate reading walls but if you read the above you should come into the game on your feet without much stall. There will inevitably be question but I hope the transition is smooth.

And most importantly, have fun!
[/collapse]

And without adeiu, the game begins! Good luck and have fun!

Axel

J|Zεη
Vote: Vitamin C

I'd like to start out by asking how much experience each of you have in mafia. Is this your first mafia game? If not, how many games have you played before, where, and what were your alignments in those games?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Vote: ori_bro

Yes I have plenty. Mario newb mafia and shining force II for my scum games. Rest are town.

:phone:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Hey all,

Kind of gutted that I'm not in the fire mafia; oh well.

As to your question, Zen- it's my very first game, so... here goes! Don't know how long I am likely to survive so I guess I better make myself useful.

@Ranmaru, Zen, anyone else with some experience- do you think it is more difficult to play well as town or as mafia, and why?

Vote: Shottymaster

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Woooot RVS!

to answer your question Sen, this will be my 3rd Newbie game. In total I have done 4 games. I played in Higurashi Mafia as my first game a couple months ago. This will be my last Newbie and I will continue on in the higher up games.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
EBWoP: *Zen

Remember, never edit your posts. Thats a big mo no and I learned it in the last game :x

Axel

J|Zεη
Vote: Aleate
Make sure to bold your votes for them to count. Out of curiosity why did you choose Aleate?
Hey all,

Kind of gutted that I'm not in the fire mafia; oh well.
Yeah ice mafia is lame. Eh :3?
@Ranmaru, Zen, anyone else with some experience- do you think it is more difficult to play well as town or as mafia, and why?
It depends on your forte. The can be equally difficult (or equally easy). I find being mafia easier for me, but I personally don't enjoy it as much. On the other hand I know some players who just aren't able to play scum well, but can scumhunt like a boss. I like to be on the scumhunting lines and aim to catch scum. It would have been pretty cool to be mafia this game though since you get the best of both worlds (looking for the other scum team while also attempting to deceive town).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
@Kary:

It depends on the situation. I personally don't enjoy being mafia nor can I really do it right because I'll be guilty of it. I find being town is easier for me because I can do whatever I like without regards to scumbuddies etc. Like Axel, I like hunting scum. Some can play Mafia better than town because they might be harder to read or can adapt well to their situation.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
@Ori_bro, Vinyl: So have you guys played as mafia in previous games? I'm curious, and Zen hasn't asked again. Do you think it's easier to do well as town, or as mafia?

@Zen, I imagine being in the ice mafia is pretty lame- but then how are you finding it? Oh wait, sorry, you said it would have been cool to be mafia in this game. Nevermind, you're in the clear.

So, open question- Do you think that this setup favours the mafia, because it allows them to play to their strengths?
The reasoning being that if you're better at playing scum and you're town, then you're at a disadvantage here, whereas if you're better at playing town and you're mafia, you can still hunt for the other mafia team.

To be honest I'm only asking to get the ball rolling... but then maybe I'm just impatient.
We'll see.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Well in my first game I was mafia. I kinda felt nervous because I didnt wanna get exposed especially since I was nooby.

Overall I favor being Townie in forum mafia. Its just a personal preference.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
@Kuz, Zen: Any experience/tips with this particular setup? Any things we should keep an eye on that we usually wouldn't in different setups?

@Kary:

I don't really think this setup favors the mafia. Open setups do give mafia the advantage of knowing what roles to find at night, yet town also knows that those roles exist. So this limits mafia's ability to fake claim, and town will know what to expect from a mafia trying to fake their way out of death. I actually thought you meant open setups, but oh well. Good thing to talk about here.

Now yes, it might be harder to find all the scum because they can actually be looking for other scum. But it might get easier days later (in game time) because they'll also be looking to kill each other (at night) to win over the other side. Basically, the earlier we find a scum, the harder it will be for the other scum to seem like they are looking for scum later on. This is my first time with this particular setup, so this is how I will play. Looking for 1 scum, one at a time. I don't know what else to do but we have to try and sniff them out either way. (I have asked kuz and zen for any tips tho)

Now it's good you are trying to get the ball rolling. I feel that you can also get the ball rolling by giving opinions on current events; interacting with others 1 v 1, just asking them to clarify their opinions/reasons, or just asking them why they did a specific action that may seem suspicious. Like this (or how like Zen commented on you liking ice mafia over fire mafia):

Oh god dangit...

Vote: JDietz43 in shame
Why did you vote yourself and not anyone else?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well in my first game I was mafia. I kinda felt nervous because I didnt wanna get exposed especially since I was nooby.

Overall I favor being Townie in forum mafia. Its just a personal preference.

Same. I was nervous but I had Sephy as my buddy <3 He held my hand. He basically steered me in the direction I had to go and I followed.

It was a very fun experience. I was grinning evilly the whole time. I was actually hoping to get Town because I wanted to be the good guy. Some people may think that's immature of me but meh, it doesn't matter to me. I don't like being the bad guy.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
@Ran: prepared to vote Shottymaster to get the ball rolling? Your post didn't fill me with confidence so I'm hoping that this might.

I'm beginning to think that we could do with a good plan for catching the scum beyond hoping that they kill one another. I personally feel like we really need to get people involved, as we'll likely have three dead bodies tomorrow morning and knowing their opinions will help much more than gut feelings in a game like this.

How we're going to get them involved I don't know. MAYBE LIKE THIS?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes, I am prepared to vote him to get the ball rolling.

You coming on, Kary?

I like your enthusiasm man. An talkative, active town is better than a quiet, lurky town.

VitaminC

Smash Rookie
Axel why you hatin' on me bro? ):<

This will be my first "actual" mafia game (I had to replace out of another Newbie game on D1).

@Ranmaru: And a talkative, active town has just as much potential to be scum at this point as a quiet, lurky town. Possibly even more so. Then again, you've played much more than I have. I doubt you'd say something like that on accident. What is your meaning behind that statement? Do you trust active players more?

Vote: Ranmaru

Axel

J|Zεη
and Zen hasn't asked again.
What do you mean by this? You were expecting me to re-ask your question?
@Zen, I imagine being in the ice mafia is pretty lame- but then how are you finding it? Oh wait, sorry, you said it would have been cool to be mafia in this game. Nevermind, you're in the clear.
Heh hahahaha nice.
So, open question- Do you think that this setup favours the mafia, because it allows them to play to their strengths?
The reasoning being that if you're better at playing scum and you're town, then you're at a disadvantage here, whereas if you're better at playing town and you're mafia, you can still hunt for the other mafia team.
I think it does give mafia some advantage. Or rather makes it harder on us town since mafia will be able to better blend in. Mafia is also at risk for the same reason though as they are vulnerable to the other factions night kills. For this reason, I think it's the best strategy for each mafia to play as proactive and townie as they can. If mafia is aiming to kill off scummies, then you don't want to be a suspicious lurker. This is actually the first Fire & Ice game I've played in so I'm interested in seeing how it all pans out. Regardless of the advantages and disadvantages we will find scum through our sheer will and power of JUSTICE

Lemon (I can't help but it, but that's the name that keeps coming to my head regarding you so I'm just going to refer to you as so from now on n.n), how did you find out about mafia and how did you find out about SWF/Dgames?
@Kuz, Zen: Any experience/tips with this particular setup? Any things we should keep an eye on that we usually wouldn't in different setups?
As said above this is my first time playing this setup. There is one thing that I plan to keep an eye on, but revealing that ruins the point.

What do you think about Lemon and Ori so far? Do you know why I voted Vitamin?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Axel why you hatin' on me bro? ):<

This will be my first "actual" mafia game (I had to replace out of another Newbie game on D1).

@Ranmaru: And a talkative, active town has just as much potential to be scum at this point as a quiet, lurky town. Possibly even more so. Then again, you've played much more than I have. I doubt you'd say something like that on accident. What is your meaning behind that statement? Do you trust active players more?

Vote: Ranmaru
Of course I didn't say that by accident.

My meaning behind the statement is that active towns are better than lurky towns. It doesn't mean scum can't be active, it's just harder for scum to BE active and seem town, which is why it's better to be active to find scum.

Yes, I trust active players more than lurkers. Do you trust active players less?

Axel

J|Zεη
Ran don't you agree that scum is likely to be more active in this setup? And that it will be easier for them to do so?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lemon (I can't help but it, but that's the name that keeps coming to my head regarding you so I'm just going to refer to you as so from now on n.n), how did you find out about mafia and how did you find out about SWF/Dgames?
As said above this is my first time playing this setup. There is one thing that I plan to keep an eye on, but revealing that ruins the point.

What do you think about Lemon and Ori so far? Do you know why I voted Vitamin?
Lemon seems to be very helpful and is already preaching for activity and wagoning. I like the enthusiasm but I feel it is possible he may be scum trying to seem very helpful because I have no idea where he has learned to start up like that. I have seen him viewing the mafia theory thread, but still I am skeptical. Also I saw him viewing and replying earlier and he signed off after a while without replying. Also, I don't see why he didn't ask me about my question to JD, because a curious townie might want to know why JD self voting may be suspicious.

Vitamon I had no idea about but I saw you vote him so I looked at the first page and only saw him asking about SE/IC thing.

I liked his entrance and him questioning my statement. But I would like to see more content from him to see how he plays out. It's possible he could also be trying to put up a wall of fake scumhunting here too. I mean, he sort of ignored the RVS and straight started scumhunting. This seems like he was trying to take advantage of the early stage and get some town cred.

Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on Serin-o and JD?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ran don't you agree that scum is likely to be more active in this setup? And that it will be easier for them to do so?
Yes, I do agree. But a lurky town besides active scum won't catch them. So I still approve of an entirely active town to be able to do something at least.

Also, what do you think of the Shotty wagon, and Kary only asking me to join but not you?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oops. You asked me about Ori.

I don't have a read on Ori yet. I saw him viewing and he didn't really post much after. Seems he just was talking about the questions Kary asked and nothing else.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh gosh? Ah, ok I expect to see that then.

VitaminC

Smash Rookie
Additionally, I only "ignored" RVS because I saw a way to move out of it and into something that would provide more content in my opinion. If you feel different, I'd really like to hear your reasoning. I'm open to changing my opinion.

VitaminC

Smash Rookie
Hmmm. VitaminC, what is your opinion on the Shotty wagon?

Opinion on Kary?
I was under the impression that the Shotty wagon was just to pull some activity out of him and create some discussion.

Kary is null leaning scum to me right now.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Additionally, I only "ignored" RVS because I saw a way to move out of it and into something that would provide more content in my opinion. If you feel different, I'd really like to hear your reasoning. I'm open to changing my opinion.
No, moving out of it is fine. But you didn't address any of the topics from RVS, nor did you comment on the growing wagon on Sottymaster. This would have also moved us out of RVS. This was why it may have seemed like you were trying to put up a front of towniness without having to really interact with others.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was under the impression that the Shotty wagon was just to pull some activity out of him and create some discussion.

Kary is null leaning scum to me right now.
But why didn't you comment on it?

Why is Kary null leaning scum to you?

Top Bottom