• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New vids of D. Disciple's Pikachu - Check them out.

D. Disciple

Smash Master

N64

Smash Champion
Looks like you're improving. A little quick attack inaccuracy, but it happens.

Also, i hate fighting marios.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
Great work, You lost the most of the first rounds but definetly made up for it in the second round. I personally like the falco matches, mostly because I have a tough time with them. It shows that he is quite vulnerable during the end of his moves if spaced properly. Once again, great work.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Thanks there are some other vids I forgot to up up, but they are a bit old. But it has me going up against someone other than Zeus though.

Hopefully if I go to the tourney in Wisconsin at the end of the month, there might be vids of my Pika in an actual tournament match.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
Awesome job! You guys owned the match. Wow, 7 KOs! I hate when Doc or Mario uses the cape to turn me around when I recover. Oh well, it can't be helped in the heat of battle. Once again, awesome job.=D

AXE 09

Smash Master
Deciple, you freakin rock! i hope i can go back there one day, i wanna have more matches with you. good stuff in these vids man, impressive

N64

Smash Champion
Coming along well. I don't really have much to comment on improvement-wise, just keep getting a better feel for hitboxes and such. You're getting more offensive off the edge, which is cool to see. Pikas that chase regardless can be kinda scary if they're accurate enough.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but once again new vids. This time against someone other than Zeus, me going up against 56k, Aarosmashguy, ioc2much and Tempest.

Rate and Critique please!

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Sweet, he's still the best in MN and his Falcon basically destroyed me in those vids. I couldn't move or even get in gimps.

Okay I got in one gimp but that was his Fox, which is also beastly.
The issue you face while facing his, and probably anyone else's fox or falcon, is your complete lack of setting a pace or pattern.

What I mean is this: you play the match with a mostly slow, untechnical pikachu. Your combos are very A-B-C, with little room for improvisation or on the fly mindgames. You play the game at your own subconscious pattern, and if it doesnt work, you lose.

Take the second match for example. The FIRST thing you do on dreamland is come off the top platform, then dive straight to the middle of the stage with a traveling netural air. Of course, this does nothing at all. Remember what Isai has set in stone..."Don't get hit". Why jump in the middle of the stage with a neutral air? This led to a 50 damage combo for Aaron. As soon as you got out of it at the 18 second mark, what's the first thing you did?

A shiled into another random netural air that did nothing.

What happened?

Another 50 damage for Aaron. This is complicated by the fact that you failed to edgueguard him after he led himself off the edge (a huuuuuge mistake for falcons against pika), and he kept you in the air long enough to knock you off once again, where you commit another bad mistake and miss your sweetspot to the edge. This leads to zero damage for aaron, and you're already down a stock.

It seems to me that you like to set damage off with neutral airs. This DOES NOT WORK. Try traveling downairs as you go off to the next platform to dash dance. Try throwing out a thundershock. Try taunting for all I care, just dont EVER do a move that will get you hit. YOU ARE CRIMINAL AT DIVING AT OPPONENTS BLINDLY. Against ioc, I lost count at how many random neutral airs and upsmashes you just slowly dove at his Ganon with. A good falcon will combo you from zero to death if you flail around, as I had to learn against Darkrain, Jiano, and Tapion, among others.

You need to get anal retentive about edguarding with pikachu. As I noticed from your short combo video thing, pikachu isnt always as easy as backthrow, slow edge grab, and up air. Sometimes you have to quick attack with the quickness of Fox on steroids. Sometimes you have to use your tilts, wavedashes, jabs, forward airs, mindgames, and everything pikachu has to get the gimps and favorable situations. Dont just calmly throw out a forward smash: It usually won't work.

You need to get faster. You need to get smarter. You need to stop neutral airing to start off every match. Practice some tech. Practice chainthrowing falcon. Practice dash dancing and wavelanding off platforms. Just dont be a static, two dimensional player. Pikachu's character model is NOT good enough to win matches just by going through the motions. Fox's will eat you alive, falcons will combo you, shieks will chain grab you, and so on.

That said, I almost four stocked aaron when I played him. With a little more quickness and more brains d, you can do the same.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
ZigZag said:
That said, I almost four stocked aaron when I played him. With a little more quickness and more brains d, you can do the same.
When was the last time you played Aaron? Like before he even knew how to waveshine?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
When was the last time you played Aaron? Like before he even knew how to waveshine?
It wasnt THAT long ago. Ive played a lot of people in two and a half years. I visit wisconsin/michigan quite a bit, my best friends live there. He's a good player.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I've been re-reading that post over and over, and as I keep reading the more it seeps in and lingers inside of me and all I can say what you just said is this.

Wow......Wow!

You're right, you are absolutely right. I'm not extremely technical with any of the characters I play. Pikachu being my main and I do nothing that's out there or absolutely obvious. You would think that him compared to all of my other characters would do better after maining him since the beginning of SSB to now that I should be able to some amazing things with him. But I don't I seriously don't, I just wait around, dive at my opponents with nair over and over again hoping it would hit so I can do something else and hopefully turn it into a gimp kill.

I look at your matches, N64's, Phillybilly's, Tope's and Anther's and as I watch you all have completely different approaches, and extremely good mindgames, edgeguarding and technical skills. Then I go back and look at my matches and just see me do the same thing over and over. There will be one match when I actually will do something actually technical or change up my approach out of 20 other matches I will put up. Even against other opponents than Zeus I do the same approach, I do the same approach against all the characters knowing in my mind that I should do this instead of that, but I don't. Why I don't do that is because of this.

I basically practice different ways to set up a combo with nair against different characters, but only at certain percents then like what you said I will totally change my ways and dart back and forth and spam usmash the entire time hoping I will get the kill. I mean I keep getting different critiques about my approach, stop using uair it doesn't lead into anything, don't do this it won't work with whatever. Why do you keep doing that same move over and over, and people just keep saying use nair it works better. I was talking to N64 just before posting this and also telling him my mind is based on approaching with just nair and why I don't certain things in matches. I just think it's this, back when I first started playing competitively I really did not care about doing a lot of technical things. Like I learned how to dash dance, wavedash, l-cancel and how to edgehog and edgeguard and I was happy. But then when MN got a bigger smash scene and a lot of people started to confuse the difference between technical skills and being extremely flashy, it threw me away from becoming extremely technical. My mind was based on if I can beat people with the basics and work on a slow, boring game style and then try to do something to get a quick kill or a nice a combo now and then. I wouldn't need to learn how do all that other technical stuff, it was working a lot back then. I had really good edgeguarding skills and able to edgehog, like the second I got an opponent off the edge I was holding onto it, believe it or not. But later on in playing smash, I based my mind on trying to be technical, that I started to stray away from the basics. Edgeguarding, dash dancing, MIND GAMES! My mind was based on "Get the hit and don't stop hitting them until they die, or get the quick kill and end the match as fast as possible."

Thinking that I was doing this well when I was beating people in short time, I think I was actually doing well, so I just kept doing what I saw work. Then I got better at tail spiking that I basically focused on just trying to gimp my opponents whenever I can. That I wanted to show you guys how good my Pikachu was, but then you come in and give me the critique that I needed. I still read that post you put up to this day, but the thing is, I practice it but I just never actually incorporate it into my game style, which I really need to do if I want to get a lot better with my Pika.

So as I read that recent post and these two posts you made.

Im gonna be honest, after watching like three of these, I wasn't too impressed.

Here's some important things to remember...firstly, your mind games are near zero. You are CONSTANTLY diving at your opponent with air attacks or whatever, leaving yourself open to an easy dash dance grab or something that a really good fox or falco would easily exploit. You never sit back and use your projectiles, you never try to change the flow of the game...its just like a moderatley fast paced chess match where you both see who can hit eachother faster. You would benefit from more mind games immensley.

Like n64 said, you dont edgehog, like....at all. There was a match there where falco was dead, and you unneccesarily jumped off the ledge for no reason, letting him get back on and thus get another chain of attacks off on you. You likely would have won that match had you simply been smart and grabbed the edge.

When you recover back onto the stage, you frequently just quick attack to some area that will lead to you getting hurt...a lot. Do you know how to sweetspot the edge? It would GREATLY help your game if you could quick attack to the ledge or practice more tail spiking techniques from the ledge. This as opposed to simply quick attacking over your opponent, landing behind them, and getting severely punished.

You have a lot of potential, I just suggest less diving furiously at the opponent (good luck versus a good ice climber player), more mind games, and better edge techniques. Simply being fast with pikachu alone wont win you many games against a good opponent. You aren't bad though, so keep it up.
I watched a couple of your new movies, I'll keep watching some more. Here's some very very very important things:

- You've improved your mind games dramatically. Keep in mind that you dont need to be moving like crazy ALL the time, but you shoul never stand still. In other words, try just jumping up and down and try throwing in traveling down airs. Learn to wave dash off of ever platform like crazy. Dont just dash dance, use the WHOLE stage to your advantage.

- You clearly dont know or are not comfortable with quick attacking to the edge. Im sure you know of the idea of quick attacking from near the middle of the stage onto the ledge...if you arent comfortable doing it, go to training mode and do it nonstop on both sides until you feel you can try it out in real matches. Remember, you wont get good until you do it when it counts. This technique will lead to WAY more tail spikes and edgehogs.

- you NEVER quick attack to the edge while recovering from an ANGLE. Do you know how? Its the idea of quick attacking at a 45 degree angle or so. Practice that if you dont know how...its MUCH more effective than just quick attacking to the edge while you're perfectly even with it...you'll avoid way more fox downsmashes. Remember to mix both of them up.

Keep it up!
I say...Thank you Zig-Zag for the criticism I really appreciate it.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
lol just try 4 stocking me now zig-zag....

I don't even remember playing you like ever. I have never been to michigan and before tapion was the best in WI the only person I played there was element of fire so it would be best to just stfu.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
lol just try 4 stocking me now zig-zag....

I don't even remember playing you like ever. I have never been to michigan and before tapion was the best in WI the only person I played there was element of fire so it would be best to just stfu.
I wasnt trying to put you down, aaron. How's about a $10 MM next time we cross paths? ;)

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
hmm...

just finished watching the aaron vids....

ouch.

i would have to agree with Zig-zag

it did look like there was alot of blind attacking going on

nairs that got immediately stomped...repeatedly...

i see some improvement though

the speed could definitely use a boost not just dash dancing but overall reaction time

Top Bottom