• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Video Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
I am trying out some video ads on smashboards for the next few days. They are by no means permanent, but now is the time to talk if you don't like them.

I realize they are huge and the sound can be annoying, bit how badly do they detract from your experience at SWF?

Like I said, this is only a trial run. If they don't both you too much or if you think they are kind of a cool and new way of advertising, those opinions are welcomed too!

-Gid

Zephyr

Smash Lord
...I don't see any. Is it because I'm a premium member, or is it that they're not up yet?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i don't like them. they don't like konqueror. they are slowing down my computer and until i have the money to afford a new one i don't like the adds.
and the werst thing is until i can get another sound card i can't play the red hot chili peppers and surf SWF at the same time.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
yeah, the sound is quite annoying. I can set it to mute, but I don't know if that would still make things better. It appears top me that yu guys don't like the size and added load time?

Do any of you like the video ads?

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah, the sound is quite annoying. I can set it to mute, but I don't know if that would still make things better. It appears top me that yu guys don't like the size and added load time?

Honestly, the sound was my main concern about the ads, but if you were able to mute them, I, myself, would have no problem with them. I like to listen to music as I am browsing the internet and it is just annoying to hear the ads simutaenously with the music I am listening to.

Are the ads beneficial to SWF? If so, how?

cF=)

Smash Lord
By using Firefox, I'm getting the same problem homsar talked about earlier. I don't have any problem with my bowsing speed, just the overall apparence/sound of the ads.

If they give enough money to SWF, let them stay. That's my opinion.

Sudai

Stuff here
Another Firefox user and it is a pain to scroll that extra distance, but I'm fine with them there if we can mute them and it brings a decent ammount of revenu to the forums.

Don't want to lose you guys~ :(

primusfan

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Gidgeon, I think the video ads are annoying. I just don't like reading somebody's post and all of a sudden hearing an ad for a new video game.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Not that i'm on a slow connection, but what about people that have dial up?

wouldn't it horribly cripple the site to people on dial up?
video ads don't bother me, since my sound is usually off

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I'm not really bothered by them at all, no more or less annoying then the other things so w/e

Fonz

Smash Ace
I do not like these ads. Over the past few days I have visited smashboards maybe 10% as much, only to check regular threads because of the video ads, only to check regular threads. And after I briefly check them I close the window. I am unable to keep multiple threads open at once without ads playing on top of each other and it sounding like a jumbled mess. Listening to music while browsing is not pleasant, and my computer really is too old to handle much while these ads are going on. Even scrolling down while the video ads are playing is painfully slow.

Smashboards is a great site and an asset to the smash community, and obviously ads that pay the bills are important. If it is in anyway possible to make rent without the video ads I'd greatly appreciate their removal. I'll even click on the old ads more often ;)

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Honestly the sound is quite distracting to me, and the size thing will take some getting used to.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
That's a stupid question. Who likes ads, of any kind?

These ads are a lot more annoying than the other ones. The sound is a pain, although I've found it is possible to mute the ads without muting my comp (which was very annoying, considering I usually listen to music while on the internet). However, that still leaves the extra load time causing slowdown, and the whole way that they stack that just makes it more of a hassel than it should be to view threads.

Mareg

Smash Rookie
I probably don't have much of a right to speak because I'm not paying for the upkeep of these boards but i have to say that the video ads are very very annoying. they keep jumbling the sound that's coming from my computer when i'm playing music and surfing these boards. the load times have been cruddy whenever i go into a new topic. if i scroll down and try to stop the video there is some type of glitch that takes out the entire middle of my screen, kinda like the video smearing itself as i scroll back up.

could you find a better way to get ads? preferably with no noise?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Yeah, it's a compatibility issue with some borwsers... I'm guessing you're using mozilla?
I also use mozilla firefox and I see what he posted on the bottom of pages. Doesn't really bother me though

T-major

Smash Champion
I usualy listen to music while I'm on here, and the sound from the videos really mess with it. so, I don't like them. but as long as there not permanant, I guess I can bare with them for a while.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
If the ads could be set to mute that would make my day. My laptop is basically brand new so it doesn't lag but for some people this could be a problem. If they could be muted though that'd be great.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
To reiterate what everyone seems to be saying, the sound is really annoying on these videos ads. At least mute them.

Fortunately I am on a relatively fast internet connection whereever I am, so the extra load time is minimal. I really don't like them at all. If the revenue is needed then keeping them wouldn't be terrible, for me at least. But please mute them.

One other thing, if I leave a specific thread open for a little while, the Mac I am on now has a popup which says "Cannot play back the file, the file format is invalid" Then the video ads stop working. If these ads are kept, I'd suggest figuring out whats wrong there.

Other than that, I agree with what Fonz said 100%

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If there was a way that they'd be on mute by default, it'd be better. I normally play music or do other things while going on smashboards. This is more of an annoyance than anything.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Are the video ads still up?

I've never actually seen any of these video ads...well, I have, but they weren't compatible with Mozilla, so I saw an ugly image. It went away and I don't see them anymore, but recently I saw a replaying GIF with a girl in some underwear with the ad labelling "Hot 18 year old webcam" or something. Mind you, I really didn't mind the ad at all :) but the gif also played a sound file over and over and it got really annoying, just wondering if that was a video ad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom