• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Toon Link Matchup Thread

KT is only right if your views on MU discussions are incredibly vague.

Jerm, go aggro against ZSS. Don't be predictable. Don't get hit by ZSS' attacks. Use bombs.
If you don't win you're not a TL main.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
i know das sonic mu

The ZSS/TL MU is pretty even in my opinion. Most characters with a quick projectile game can make things really difficult for her. It limits her side+b and neutral+b almost entirely. I actually think TL's bombs go right through her neutral+b too.Close up, ZSS might have a 'small' advantage. Her jab and dtilt are probably the most useful things she has in this match-up because they're useful for eating through defensive playstyles. Dtilt is really good for shield pressuring and her jab eats through a lot of projectiles and comes out quick enough to punish up close.Aerial pressure, Toon Link just needs to keep at her sides, rather than above her. Her bair is good, but in comparison to TL's air game and range from the sides, it comes at a large risk for her. Zair is great for keeping her pressured. Just don't let her get within stun, jab or dtilt range and you should have a really nice time against her. Which is what TL should be doing anyway. Also, watch out for her down+b, she can avoid projectiles and approach with that and her extra jumps. 50:50 sounds about right to me.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
the only ZSS u should lose to is N!ck R1ddle.

but really every MU is da same. run away, dont approach, camp, dont get predictable. i mean wat else do u need to kno. You want us to hold yall hand through the match.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
I feel like aggro-camping is the way to win the weirder mu's...like MK and Olifail...
Umm... will there be a new thread for these discussions, or will they be done in here???

New thread.

We just have to pick them. Actually, I think we already did, and we're just waiting on Ensis to make the threads lol.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Always have a bomb in hand, don't use that many arrows, break nado with bombs, iBomb the shuttle loops, don't get gimped, shield all 3 hits of MK nair OOS, if you don't have a bomb in hand then expect a nado, know when he's going to up-B, use angled boomerang against dair planking, don't full hop nair when he's on the ground because he's a short ****** and it won't hit =P etc

MJG

Smash Hero
Always have a bomb in hand, don't use that many arrows, break nado with bombs, iBomb the shuttle loops, don't get gimped, shield all 3 hits of MK nair OOS, if you don't have a bomb in hand then expect a nado, know when he's going to up-B, use angled boomerang against dair planking, don't full hop nair when he's on the ground because he's a short ****** and it won't hit =P etc
I am glad you mentioned nair. A lot of MKs will nair you OoS if you land behind them. Prepare to put up your shield and you can ALWAYS punish with bair or nair if you come down and shield immediately.

Also, don't lose your momentum. That is the main reason for me losing to MKs. We will touch more on MK later.

The other threads are up!

So guys...

The BBR Matchup chart is out:

:toonlink:
-2: :metaknight:
-1: :snake: :falco: :wario: :olimar: :zerosuitsamus:
0: :diddy: :marth: :pikachu2: :dedede: :lucario: :fox: :pit: :dk2: :wolf: :sheilda: :sheik:
1: :popo: :gw: :kirby2: :rob: :peach: :luigi2: :sonic: :ike: :mario2:
2: :ness2: :pt: :yoshi2: :lucas: :bowser2: :falcon: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :link2: :zelda:
3: :ganondorf:

Opinions? I'll be answering srs questions I guess.

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
Nevermind I already looked for the thread, I was just unsure what does the numbers means.

-4: (close to) unwinnable
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-2: medium disadvantage
-1: small disadvantage
0: even
+1: small advantage
+2: medium advantage
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+4: (close to) unloseable

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
I feel like gannon should be +4... also, i looked at the thread and found a lot of things i disagree with, but TL's MUs are pretty accurate.

I could see it as +4, but I left it as +3 cause it was **** enough already. We definitely hard counter him, but as for an unwinnable matchup, it's only a possibility. He has a lot of **** up his sleeve that makes Toon Link less of a hassle. His sheer power in all of his attacks and guaranteed sideB to ______ are enough for him to at least have a fighting chance against us. Even though we can keep him away fairly easy, he's bound to find a hole in our camping somewhere that he can abuse.

It's those things that give Ganon just slight hope in the matchup, changing it from close to unwinnable to just a really really hard matchup.

Another note, they already had us at -3, so that was just like the cherry on top of this discussion.

Yeah Wario was a tough one for me, since I have pretty much zero gameplay experience against good Warios. I was pretty much going with what I was being told, since they knew more about the MU than I do. If the MU is listed wrong, then I guess I'm to blame, but I tried at least. I mean, I hinted at you guys to help me out with the MU without trying to be obvious that it was for BBR purposes, but no one replied back. Because of that, I just used the three posts directly above mine that said it wasn't even. Overall, I only had one TL tell me it was +1 TL, the matchup consensus that said it was even, and a flood of TLs/Warios saying it was -1 TL.

Anyways, you guys are free to discuss the Wario MU again, so that I can finally learn how to beat resident Warios when I face them when next time comes, I'll get it right.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Falco should be -2 imo, I will forever say that. What TL has defeated a GOOD falco?

I mean.. Jash and I have lost to Shugo in tourney.
MJG lost to a random Falco.
Jerm lost to Rain.
Not sure, but I think Ozz beats Hyro and Jerm? Maybe half the time? Ozz doesn't play falco anymore anyway...

My inital rating for it was -2, but the Falcos didn't see eye to eye with me when I tried to explain them why it was so bad for us. They brought up Corpsecreate beating all the Falcos in Australia, Jash beating Keitaro, and all other events in which even though TL didn't win, they still had a really hard time with TL, and that it felt like a +1 to them.

They also brought up some of TL's ridiculous gimmicks like our Dsmash on some stages, and our multiple counterpicks we have that we can abuse, and other gameplay mechanics that help us with the MU and whatnot.

Long story short, I couldn't convince anyone in the panel that it was -2, so I took the -1.

Top Bottom