• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New To Yoshi Boards: Want to have a Strong Yoshi

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Hello... i'm a bit new here, been watching these forums since 2002 but never joined till september 01.
Been playing SSB series since it first came out and I always mained yoshi. Problem with me is I have yet to master most of these techs that I been reading for years now like Scatmanz DR and Double jump etc. I also use to spar with him before I got kicked out of my apartment and haven't had DSL for three years now (Got it back around july)

Okay..back to topic, I want to understand probably easy stuff for you guys, but confusing stuff to me like the meaning of "Dsmash" or "Fair" while i'm just familiar with "B-up" or "A-Left/Right".
I'd like basic tips on how to get better I've read all the stickies so I know most stuff already, also if you can help me a bit also give me some example videos on yoshi techs i'd be glad to be getting knowledge of Yoshi and maybe my other mains.

shellz

Smash Rookie
Hi ^^ nice to meet you D-smash = down smash Nair = neutral air(A in the air) Fair= forward air ect.

hope this helps ^^

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Welcome! Nice that you finally made an account.

A-Left/Right would be Left Tilt / Right Tilt. B-up is still called B-up or Up-B :).

Anyway, an easy way would be to record 1-2 matches, and post them into Yoshi Critique Thread, where others will watch them and see what you should improve on. If you don't have a capture card, you can just save a replay and use a camera to video tape it, then upload to Youtube.

Here's a couple good combo videos that I recommend you watch ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PkBmG91fQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzKRKqHwh8

.Marik

is a social misfit
Look around these Boards, you'll learn some stuff.

Nair= Neutral Air

Fair=Forward Air

DSmash=DownSmash

UpSmash=same thing

FSmash= Forward Smash

OoS=Out Of Shield

Dair=Down Air

Bair= Back Air

Hope that helps somewhat.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Look around these Boards, you'll learn some stuff.

Nair= Neutral Air

Fair=Forward Air

DSmash=DownSmash

UpSmash=same thing

FSmash= Forward Smash

OoS=Out Of Shield

Dair=Down Air

Bair= Back Air

Hope that helps somewhat.
Hehe, now why mention OoS to a Yoshi main? No need to rub salt into our own wounds. =[

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shellz: Nice to meet you too, and thanks for the small bit of information.
Ragnarok17: Again much obliged, also yes I've seen those combo videos and they're pretty good/old too.
Also which capture card is best to buy, and where would they be... I've been wanting one for awhile since my wii broke and I been thinking of making xbox360 game videos. (Wii will be fixed soon)
I'll be sure to post my videos there once I get a capture card.
MarikYoshi: Thank you for the most help with simple stuff for you guys.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Yoshi boards Glacial-Nova. I made an account back in 2005 and forgot about it until 2007 so I'm somewhat in the same boat of taking a long time to post as you are.

I've been using Yoshi here and there for the past year or so and I too need to learn some techniques that the talented Yoshi smashers on here use. I'll need those techniques with urgency if I end up entering tournaments my University might have throughout the school year as long turnouts are good and if the tourney's can get organized.

Hopefully we can all help each other get better and rep Yoshi.

bigman40

Smash Master
All I wanna say is that I'm honored that I still get this kind of rep even though I'm extremely inactive in the scene. Either way, I'm glad that you guys are wanting to make your Yoshi better, but you have to ask yourself this question, "Are you willing to put the time in, and are you willing to accept what weaknesses Yoshi possesses?"

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah i'm willing to put time and effort into learning the ways of the dino.
For yes I know his weakness, though the most critical I can think of his him using his double jump off the stage and being knocked out.
Even with his Egg jump it still sometimes doesn't work where they'll just attack again.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Hehe, now why mention OoS to a Yoshi main? No need to rub salt into our own wounds. =[
Haha, good point.

On a positive note, now he won't be confused when we mention "Yoshi has no OoS options lololol".

:D

Oh, the irony.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Weaknesses? Yoshi has none! Big, don't lie to the newbies! >=[

^This.

I haven't done any research or anything to see which capture cards are better than others in what kinds of ways, but the most popular kind for Brawlers is called the Dazzle. (May be that's the company name, but either way, people know what you mean if you call it a Dazzle).

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
most yoshi's play with tap jump off to recover better(use eggs b4 u double jump)

here some more acryonimns for ya
ece = edge canceled eggs -throwing eggs while on the edge, the boost from egg thorw
ets = egg toss slide = egg toss and jump at the same time left or righ tto slide and eggtoss
ect.

experiment with stuff

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Well even though the optimism of Delta-cod and others is refreshing, Bigman is right by saying that you have to put a tremendous amount of time in to see some results as Yoshi, and also that there are a lot of setbacks when you use just Yoshi.

It's nice to see sparkling enthusiasm though, it'll get you far :D

If you want a nice tip, use your eggs a lot and do whatever you can after they hit to hurt your opponent.

My favorite is Egg Throw > Grab > Any Throw or Grab Release > Go from there.

I seriously got in my friends *** today doing this a lot lol. Also make sure you punish the spot dodges you'll incur with this strategy, it'll always keep them second guessing.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well even though the optimism of Delta-cod and others is refreshing, Bigman is right by saying that you have to put a tremendous amount of time in to see some results as Yoshi, and also that there are a lot of setbacks when you use just Yoshi.

It's nice to see sparkling enthusiasm though, it'll get you far :D

If you want a nice tip, use your eggs a lot and do whatever you can after they hit to hurt your opponent.

My favorite is Egg Throw > Grab > Any Throw or Grab Release > Go from there.

I seriously got in my friends *** today doing this a lot lol. Also make sure you punish the spot dodges you'll incur with this strategy, it'll always keep them second guessing.
Teehee, I was taken seriously.

Anyways, those egg set ups are extremely predictable. I sure hope you don't do that everytime, or you'll get WRECKED some time, possibly when it counts.

Also, use eggs when necessary. DO NOT SPAM THEM. Don't even use them that much. Personally, I don't ETS. The only egg tech I use is ECE, heck, that's probably the only tech I use. You use eggs and the threat of throwing an egg to force approaches and then punish depending on how the opponent comes in.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Teehee, I was taken seriously.

Anyways, those egg set ups are extremely predictable. I sure hope you don't do that everytime, or you'll get WRECKED some time, possibly when it counts.

Also, use eggs when necessary. DO NOT SPAM THEM. Don't even use them that much. Personally, I don't ETS. The only egg tech I use is ECE, heck, that's probably the only tech I use. You use eggs and the threat of throwing an egg to force approaches and then punish depending on how the opponent comes in.
lol I guess I was being a little optimistic myself XD I just got mindgame'd by Delta-cod. Good work dude.

I don't necessarily do that in a flow chart style, but it's nice to have if the egg hits lol.

Also...

10needstomixmygameupmorelol

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
look at vid from guud yoshi's combo vid dont really help u get better but they show u new strats which are guud to kno.

practice is how u get better, and thats not just doin 1000 matches its figuring out what ur doing wrong and how to make it right the next match, then u figure out how to make it better

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah seeing new strats are good but if you ask me, watching Tech videos help alot too.
Gives you the time to practice them (along with making your fingers faster) and also making you better with your character to make new strats with the new tech you learned/mastered a bit.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh god a techy player, Scat will love you!

Anyways, don't focus on techs until you get basic play style, it'll be your downfall. Having a strong core game then building on that with a good tech game is the best.

If you're using tap jump, go ahead and turn it off.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm personally of the belief that all you need to be a very good player at this game are to master the basics. I have absolutely no tech skill, I don't even ETS, but I've been doing well in whatever matches I play with someone. The fancy tech stuff is just to help step your game up when the basics can't get you any further, but they go a long way.

Analogy time! :D

My soccer team was massive fail up until this year. New coach, he's spanish, etc. All he makes us practice is playing keep away, to help with the very basics of soccer. Passing, settling, moving. Our first game, we used that and absolutely *****. Nobody even had to practice any fancy dribbling techs, just basic passing and moving and the other team gets so lost they can't follow.

Teehee, analogies.

But yeah, just the way I view things.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I'm personally of the belief that all you need to be a very good player at this game are to master the basics. I have absolutely no tech skill, I don't even ETS, but I've been doing well in whatever matches I play with someone. The fancy tech stuff is just to help step your game up when the basics can't get you any further, but they go a long way.
YES thank you for saying that

ETS is sooooooo overrated

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
YES thank you for saying that

ETS is sooooooo overrated
Is ETS the only thing you got out of that? =_=

But really, if you're throwing eggs smartly you don't even NEED to ETS. I mainly use the threat of eggs in conjunction with actually throwing them to punish my enemy. Maybe I should type a Shiri-esque essay on how to camp as Yoshi. Haha. =D

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Even if techs are not really needed in the situation of Yoshi mains, I think that even mastering the basics gets you into doing some techs even without realizing it. Like ELFS and ETS.
Dragonic Reverse is something that would take days of practice before mastering it. So I don't think you would be knowing it even by mastering the basics.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Analogy time! :D

My soccer team was massive fail up until this year. New coach, he's spanish, etc. All he makes us practice is playing keep away, to help with the very basics of soccer. Passing, settling, moving. Our first game, we used that and absolutely *****.
Camping: works in soccer too.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Funny story about camping in soccer.

About the aforementioned game, we were ahead 1 goal, 2-1. The ball had reached me. I was playing keeper at the time, so I settled it with my foot since nobody was around and waited for the opposing team to come approach me so I could pick up the ball and continue play.

Stalling: Also works in soccer.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Even if techs are not really needed in the situation of Yoshi mains, I think that even mastering the basics gets you into doing some techs even without realizing it. Like ELFS and ETS.
Dragonic Reverse is something that would take days of practice before mastering it. So I don't think you would be knowing it even by mastering the basics.
It could take you longer than that. I remember that it took me a month to get short hopping down in melee, and I'm still not consistent at it. Advanced techs like DR and ETS are all fine and good, but it's just a wavedash. It's not useless, but it's not exactly game changing.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ETS should be fairly easy, and mastering edge camping with yoshi with eggs and yoshi bomb etc.
DR is what I had a hard time with when I had my wii still, though once I get it back i'll start practicing again and i'll soon master DR hopefully.

Sharky

Smash Master
work on basic play skills first, such as spacing, zoning, edgeguarding, and mixing up your game in general. Then as you advance in those areas, you can begin to work in stuff like DR.

Top Bottom