• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to G&W

Game&Watch

Smash Rookie
Alright well i play aginst some pretty tough opponents... they use mainly MK and Snake... so i can be in a lot of trouble seeing as they are both better than me at dodging and know the game way better although i do really well 1v1 aginst them why is it that i am doing so bad in our 3v3 game? Also i am wondering if there is any big flaws or huge assesets that G&W has that would be useful for me to know... alright well thanks for any feedback

P.S. we play tourney style with no items but random stages we mainly go Final Destination for our 1v1 games

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
3vs3? you mean a set or a 3 person brawl? If its a 3 person brawl its because one of them usually camps or they team up on you. a 3 person brawl is never fun.

cutter

Smash Champion
Read ALL of the guides for advice. Best place to start would be Neb's G&W Gallery (it's stickied). It will lead you to a huge wealth of knowledge about G&W.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Basically if you spam a particular attack the knockback/% lowers making it less useful. this can be a bad thing especially when you have a character with a low amount of KO moves. But in order to replenish the " previously spammed" attack you have to use other attacks, preferably the ones that isn't a KO move. Hence G&W's Up-Air is perfect for "refreshing attacks".

Frate

Smash Journeyman
Now this might seem as a dumb question to ask since I could read mechanics, but since I main G&W... Does the "grab attack" (pressing A) refresh attacks? How about jab? If you hit with holding A for example 6 times in a row, is it like the other moves will get undecayed from 6 of the "decay slots"? How about fishbowl, does each individual hit count as a refresh?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Every hit that requires individual input counts towards diminishing returns. So yes, grab attacks all count towards diminishing returns. So do AAA combos, Link's F-smash, MK's F-tilt, and a few other things, but not rapid jabs.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
A2, does that mean the nair only counts as one slot?

Also, Frate, there are only 9 slots remembered, so even if you spammed a smash 10 moves ago, it is already fresh! It also refreshes if you die.

Game&Watch

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help especially the person that sent me to the discussion and such it's helped me a lot... i'm also curious as to if G&W is a good edge guard character or not and if so how well does he work because the only good attack i have found to use edge guarding is the over-a with the box it knocks them farther away but doesn't really finish anyone unless they have a very high damage %

cutter

Smash Champion
G&W is an excellent edgeguarder.

His Fair is beautiful for edgeguarding since it kills at quite low percentages offstage. The "sex-kick" hitbox of Fair can also knock them back a bit and allow you to Up B into them and push them back further.

Up B works great as an edgeguarder too because of the angle in knockback it sends your opponent, and it allows G&W to go very far offstage and still recover.

You can also edgeguard with Chef since it gives you a nice "wall" of projectiles. That only really works though against someone with a bad recovery. You can even try your luck with Judgment; even if you don't get a 9, a 6 sends them at a downward angle providing very easy gimp kills.

Dair will spike on the first few frames of the attack; be sure you slowfall Dair (hit down on the control stick twice as you execute Dair) so you don't commit suicide.

Voxx

Smash Apprentice
Edge guarding with a WoP using bair is usually safer and has a nice KB

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
G&W is an excellent edgeguarder.

His Fair is beautiful for edgeguarding since it kills at quite low percentages offstage. The "sex-kick" hitbox of Fair can also knock them back a bit and allow you to Up B into them and push them back further.

Up B works great as an edgeguarder too because of the angle in knockback it sends your opponent, and it allows G&W to go very far offstage and still recover.

You can also edgeguard with Chef since it gives you a nice "wall" of projectiles. That only really works though against someone with a bad recovery. You can even try your luck with Judgment; even if you don't get a 9, a 6 sends them at a downward angle providing very easy gimp kills.

Dair will spike on the first few frames of the attack; be sure you slowfall Dair (hit down on the control stick twice as you execute Dair) so you don't commit suicide.
Wouldn't GaW's Dtilt work pretty well for edgeguarding, too?

Top Bottom