• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique: Stage Scarring - "Real Creative!"

Scar

#HarveyDent
The first time I ever played Wolf I found out about the sideB cancel thing at the ledge. Weird. Before I found that though I discovered probably the coolest thing about him.

On certain stages, namely Battlefield since it's the only fawken good stage in the game, if you grab the ledge, let go with back and then immediately fB, you go through the stage and appear on it. I call it Scarring. I'm real creative. Call it whatever you want. You scar the stage. You don't even know.

The point is, if someone is standing at the edge roughly Marth's tipper range away from you, waiting to punish your getup option, use this and you sweetspot the fB. Vids to come.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
this is seriously badass.. easy to master too, only prob is ppl will eventually be ready for it =( at least itll keep em off our *** a bit on the edge :]

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
oh and i just realized if yall care.. its an easy way to beat 5 opponents in cruel brawl(to unluck a trophy or something), just hug the edge and repeat this, just incase =)

RepMR

Smash Rookie
Frigate Orpheon might be the best stage to practice this on. After it flips, you have a solid body wall to get the timing down without dying if you're off by a bit.

I'm going through the stages seeing what else I can find, this was a good find.

Edit: It seems like this works on any stage where there's not a sharp curve/overhang before the edge (for instance, the edge in FD keep this from working there, you'll always be trapped).

Also, forget Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Story is a much better place to practice this.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
wow, i've been using this technique all day prior to reading this now, its EXTREMLY useful vs all characters, mix it up with ledge hops keeps them on their toes, can't even describe how well this technique works

Rat

Smash Lord
dammit scar,
I was using this but wasn't going to say anything. And yes it's awesome.

Here are the stages I've been able to do it on.

Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Poke stadium 2
Distant Planet
Spear Pillar
The Great Sea (only the right side)
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Rainbow Cruise (right side only) *might be wrong

Here is another trick if you haven't found it out. Less useful and harder timing but if you sideB just above the height were wolf would regrab the edge (but below the height were you Scar the stage) you immediately stand up at the edge of the stage. Just a tricky way to do a fake ledgehop. Fake SideB to grab? Yes please.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Stage Scarring, huh? I'm usually against people naming techs after themselves, but I gotta admit, that sounds pretty **** nice.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
dammit scar,
I was using this but wasn't going to say anything. And yes it's awesome.

Here are the stages I've been able to do it on.

Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Poke stadium 2
Distant Planet
Spear Pillar
The Great Sea (only the right side)
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Rainbow Cruise (right side only) *might be wrong

Here is another trick if you haven't found it out. Less useful and harder timing but if you sideB just above the height were wolf would regrab the edge (but below the height were you Scar the stage) you immediately stand up at the edge of the stage. Just a tricky way to do a fake ledgehop. Fake SideB to grab? Yes please.

There's a different way to fakeout the ledgehop. Look at my thread.

BlackTulip

Smash Cadet
Also like Fox's Illusion you can make it a short allusion (with Wolf) and just slide across the stage

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
On the subject

While I was messing around in Practice with this technique, I found something kind of useful. If you press down while holding onto a ledge then right after press jump you can do any of your airs to someone standing near edge. Thought it was a kind of neat way to keep your opponent on his toes.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Good stuff Alex. This is a very important find, but someone found it a long time ago, way back in smash 64. It's called ledgehopping, and it's very useful. In SSB: Melee, it was the preferred way to get up from the ledge.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
xD

Ahh alright, I just started to think about competitively playing Smash Bros, so that's why I didn't know but. At least it was a good idea :p. As of now just trying to get controlling Wolf (and SSBB) down so I can use a lot of the tactics/combos I've been reading up on.

Corin

Smash Lord
Ha, I did that by accident once, and my friend and I just stopped for like five seconds like "...what just happened?"

I'm definitely gonna practice this stuff, very useful. I guess you could also fake them out by dropping and jumping back up to the ledge. Essentially, you can just bide your time and fake them out with all the different ways to get back onto the stage. And I do mean more-so than other characters.

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff Alex. This is a very important find, but someone found it a long time ago, way back in smash 64. It's called ledgehopping, and it's very useful. In SSB: Melee, it was the preferred way to get up from the ledge.
Ahahahaha.

That's hilarious because under your name it says your surrounded by idiots.:laugh:

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
ya.. i remember when i thought i discovered ledge hopping =) dude scarring kicks serious ***, best wolf technique by far, during a tourney the other night no one had seen it yet, caught a bunch of people off guard badly

Deforty

Smash Rookie
alright, I'm all for scarring good name and great move. Now all i have to do is learn to do it perfectly.
*Puts technique in wolf arsenal*

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya.. i remember when i thought i discovered ledge hopping =) dude scarring kicks serious ***, best wolf technique by far, during a tourney the other night no one had seen it yet, caught a bunch of people off guard badly
lol Tell me the illusion sweetspotted too? It freezes the screen and all. What a badass technique. I'm so glad I'm awesome.

D

Deleted member

This technique is so awesome :)... I think people have started to figure it out mostly by accident, then playing with it to get it right...

IMO, it's easier to get the 5 KOs in Cruel Melee with Pit, flying away from the ledge with 1 jump and getting back with 2... but I've done it with both, so...

Also, with this technique, you can do amazing things... similar to the ledge cancel to jump to aerial when your opponent doesn't expect it

And Scar is amazing

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
lol you sound like g-reg. Anyway, great news scar. Its obvious now what's causing Wolf to stand one the edge of the stage instead of grabbing the ledge. (Where he pops up without even doing the illusion) Its this exact technique with different timing: Drop from the ledge, wait a little longer than you would if you were doing the scar thing, side-b and there you have it.

EDIT: The Illusion is now officially one of Wolf's best moves. And definitely the most versatile. Recovery, kill move if sweetspotted, cancellable for mindgames and now this. ****.

EDIT 2: I just noticed something else while practising this on Yoshi's Island. You guys know the little incline on the sides of the level? Stand on there and do a side-b towards the centre of the stage. You'll do a Fox/Falco Illusion and be able to sweetspot people who are standing on the ground. Can also be done on Delfino Plaza on the sandy part. Situational yes, but useful at times. Its the little things.

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
Found another useful trick. On Delfino Plaza, if you fall in the water for whatever reason and you're close to the stage, just hit jump once and immediately side-b and you get to the stage ever so much quicker. Dont do it on the flying platform though :dizzy:

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
Great discovery scar! It's an awesome way to recover safely with wolf, I used to just leave the ledge, jump above the stage, and up+b into the character. But that took to much time, this is working much better.

I'm also gonna roll with the name, Scarring sounds a lot better than anything I can think of, good work making a recovery discovery(lol)! Most tactic discoveries at this point are offensive.

Corin

Smash Lord
I love this technique, but honestly I can only do it with the whole "B-stick" thing. My left hand fingers just don't move fast-enough otherwise, and I get stuck under the stage (I accidentally suicided in 100 man melee trying it, with 7 opponants left at just over 3 minutes. ugh)

So I'm curious if anyone would find it easier to use the control adjusted B-stick as opposed to doing it manually, or if that would sacrifice too much (like a DI'd Wolf Wall combination) for you to find it useful. I don't like to use the C-stick, honestly, so I have no qualms about allocating Wolf's special to it, since I'd be using it far less, and in my opinion, far more effectively.

Also I'm not sure if I commented on it, but 'stage scarring' is a pretty awesome name for this tech.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
To Corin, if your pressing down when dropping off the ledge it's really hard to do, I know that's what I was getting wrong. I reread the topic thing and it said to press back that made it ton easier. Maybe you're making my mistake?

D

Deleted member

My friend and I have done this a few times too, and it kinda relates... if you do the Forward B into some place in the ledge, you do what looks like a waveland... I don't know how we did it, and we couldn't find a viable answer, but this really interested me...

Top Bottom