• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nice to see it's a pack in. So what games do we know so far are in it?

Also does anyone else think that we could get a stage from it?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's be a bit more accurate here...

I'm confident things will at least be discussed, and the Nintendo hate will be quelled. All the people wanted to hear (partly) was things beyond the launch window Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they are being a bit too fast to drop Nintendo just yet this E3, we aren't done yet, and things being discussed behind closed doors is most likely going to be titles that are later on in the Wii U's life.

Some people speculated SSB4 would be mentioned here, who knows.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, people here wanted Smash Bros., but in that thread I was looking at it was mostly the big franchises that compromise Smash Bros.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We need links to this stuff people!!!

From a business standpoint, yes.

From my person standpoint as a gamer, no. Wii Sports Plus was a great game. Yeah, I DARE TO SAY IT! :shades:
For me, I say it's a better choice. From the business end, you get the core gamers with the Nintendo fanservice and you get new gamers introduced to the Nintendo series. From a gameplay standpoint, it honestly just looks more fun and dazzling with those colors and lighting.

@Habanero
Nintendoception? Xception? Smashception?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Kuma I'd prefer olimar to stay the same but now with 7 choices although if they do him like Amy and keep the pikmin balanced I can see that adding another layer of depth to olimar which is never a bad thing.

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Totally agree. I gotta say I'm also very interested by it, but I didn't like it closing the show as a gamer. I wanted at least a mention of other games, or an ending compilation video (like the one in the middle of the presentation). I will keep an eye on this game. I hope it serves my fanliness, while being a good game in its' own right. :bee:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I agree that Nintendo Land would make a better smash bros. stage. It seems like a perfect location for a Smash Bros. stage, like Animal Crossing before it.
OMG! Nintendo Land should totally be the new Final Destination. The background would rotate around Nintendo Land like we saw in the trailer. :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So far I think only Zelda, Animal Crossing, Luigi, DK, and Takamaru games were confirmed.

The rest are speculated to be Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, Yoshi, Game & Watch, F-Zero, and Balloon Fight.

And like the others, I think the game looks really fun, I'm just upset Nintendo chose it as the closing game. Especially if that pulled IP rumor is true.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sure I think, but that makes me think, of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDnXCyAgel4
That's one large stage hack. Certainly makes me raise an eyebrow in rethinking a NintendoLand stage.

Kinda reminds me of what Sony's doing with the All Stars stages by having them mix franchises like the Hydra in the Rachet and Clank stage.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
So I guess the Miis aren't being graphically or physiologically updated :c. They better add some more clothes/hairstyles/features or Ninty is failing like no other.

On an unrelated note, I actually liked Nintendoland.....
*frantically scurries away*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kuma I'd prefer olimar to stay the same but now with 7 choices although if they do him like Amy and keep the pikmin balanced I can see that adding another layer of depth to olimar which is never a bad thing.

The chief things I want changed are the random plucking of the pikmin and no more elemental weaknesses (same goes for PT). The problem with the first one is how do you do this in a game like Smash where the inputs are so simplistic that it's arguably limiting character potential.

@ Kuma
Totally agree. I gotta say I'm also very interested by it, but I didn't like it closing the show as a gamer. I wanted at least a mention of other games, or an ending compilation video (like the one in the middle of the presentation). I will keep an eye on this game. I hope it serves my fanliness, while being a good game in its' own right. :bee:
I see what you're saying. Yeah, it was a real buzz kill to put it at the end of the conference.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I've seen only a minuscule amount of footage on that game, suffice to say I'm not getting the hype.

I'd like to see what you're observation was though.

The Death Egg perhaps, John? And the Tim Burton Approach to Nintendo networking to answer your other question.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man n, that stage video you posted is awesome. Samus' ship, Arwings, Wolfens, The (Assault) Great Fox, the Falcon Flyer, one of Bowser's Airships, the Port Town Aero Dive track, AND Landmasters! Oh, and loads of awesome music plays during it! XD That's an awesome stage. Also, did I see the Death Star in the background=??? :laugh:

Also, isn't Nintendo Land technically a new IP=??? :laugh:

@ Kuma
Yeah, it was a bad taste as an ending. I just wanted something more aimed at "thanking" Wii, DS, and Nintendo fans... I guess.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to my Best Buy and will get a microphone. If we get nothing interesting at the round table and if the 3DS conference sucks, expect me to vent on a YouTube video. After this E3 conference, Nintendo deserves to be scorned.

D

Deleted member

Man n, that stage video you posted is awesome. Samus' ship, Arwings, Wolfens, The (Assault) Great Fox, the Falcon Flyer, one of Bowser's Airships, the Port Town Aero Dive track, AND Landmasters! Oh, and loads of awesome music plays during it! XD That's an awesome stage. Also, did I see the Death Star in the background=??? :laugh:
No, that's the Death Egg.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Thanks for pointing that out n. I forgot about the Death Egg looking like that! :laugh: By the way, put the Death Egg in everything! :bee:
OMG! Nintendo Land should totally be the new Final Destination. The background would rotate around Nintendo Land like we saw in the trailer. :awesome:
Nah, I think it should be its' own moving stage that serves as a "tribute" to franchises new and old (kinda like Mega Man's Robot Master Museum).

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I would be tremendously happy to play on a Death Egg stage. Its a wonder why they didn't work with that already, its in every major STH title.

A bold, loud, and explicit FanMan? Now I really hope that the 3DS show is terrible.

Whats up?

I'd be tremendously happy if they made a SEGA Smash bros
I think they're working on it, if I'm not mistaken.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Also does anyone else think that we could get a stage from it?
Well, so far we know there is Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda, Murasame and Donkey Kong. Yoshi, Mario, Game and Watch, Pikmin and Metroid games are easy to see. There are also two icons we speculate to be a Star Fox or F-Zero minigame, and a Balloon Fight minigame.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@kuma
Probably not surprisingly I like both of those features of the pikmin. Although I could live without the first one, the elemental weakness is great because they also come with elemental strengths. The blue pikmin survive in water making it easier to assemble an all blue/mainly blue team on stages with water and blue throws>>>>. Red's immunity to fire/explosions make playing against snakes fun because they go through all his smashes and 3/4 specials. Same with yellows and pika. Though these aspects probably appeal more to casuals.

@ssbf
You won't.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Gross, emphasizing minigames? You might as well hand out sequels to your major titles...oh wait.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If they did that, I think half of the roster would be Sonic characters while each non-Sonic franchise gets only one character. Look at the rosters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they did that, I think half of the roster would be Sonic characters while each non-Sonic franchise gets only one character. Look at the rosters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars games.
Well, that's actually more what I hope for

Sonic characters, sonic stages, maybe some NIGHTS things

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As long as NiGHTS is playable, it would get an insta-buy from me. Hopefully Vyse would get in too though.

And some Jet Grind Radio representation.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
One idea to create a Nintendo Land stage could be to go the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale route and blend themes.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
How to fix what happened today:

- Remove WB's stage time, simply mentioning Arkham City's Wii U Functionality
- Replace WB's stage time with something about one of those new 1st party IPs we know they've got going.
- Give the only Ubi stage time to ZombiU and Rayman Legends, considering they're spectacular exclusives.
- Demo Scribblenauts Unlimited on stage. This was done post-show on GTTV and was spectacular.
- Simply mention SiNG and Wii Fit U instead of spending a stupid amount of time on them.
- Show footage of whatever Retro's working on. This is mandatory.
- Perhaps demo a more exciting game of Nintendo Land. Like the Animal Crossing one to make up for the lack of Animal Crossing 3D presence during the 3DS bit.
- End the show with a teaser for any blockbuster 1st party title. Zelda, Smash Bros., StarFox, whatever. Just anything that's even remotely ready to show, show it.

Really, Nintendo was just looking to please those people who b*tch about how poor their relationship with third parties is. And the result was people b*tching about how they didn't show any big 1st party games. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose. I certainly agree there needed to be a more hefty 1st party Wii U presence, but Nintendo was just trying to appease the masses a bit and show some restraint, considering some third parties complain about how their thunder is stolen by Ninty all the time.

I was disappointed slightly, but Pikmin 3 was all I needed. Holy balls that game looks gooooooood. I know Olimar's absence is key to the plot, but Louie also better come back. Rock Pikmin and flying Pink Pikmin? Yes please.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Man, we do ***** quite a bit don't we? Hopefully we're all not damned for the things we want.

VC/Ware games can be transferred to Wii-U!! +1 Ninty.
Unfortunately, though that is good news, I've grown accustomed to being able to use GC and the Classic Controllers simultaneously. Well, truth be told the way I enjoy this utility is slightly unconventional (DKC has never been so fun).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@kuma
Probably not surprisingly I like both of those features of the pikmin. Although I could live without the first one, the elemental weakness is great because they also come with elemental strengths. The blue pikmin survive in water making it easier to assemble an all blue/mainly blue team on stages with water and blue throws>>>>. Red's immunity to fire/explosions make playing against snakes fun because they go through all his smashes and 3/4 specials. Same with yellows and pika. Though these aspects probably appeal more to casuals.
The problem with giving a single character elemental strengths and weaknesses is that the balance is lost. For example, if you were able to have all yellows against Pika, it's a lopsided match in your favor. Only a handful of characters have elemental properties anyhow.

It'd be far much simpler to just remove the elemental properties from the Pikmin as they already have defining properties in game. Maybe they should look back at that mechanic where certain terrain raised probability for pulling specific Pikmin. Perhaps they could change it where specific portions of every stage will pull out a specific Pikmin. This gives Olimar an incredibly strong emphasis on stage control since a good Olimar will need to know the places to pluck and where his Pikmin are best used.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ yani
Awesome.

@ Kuma
Agreed. Elemental weaknesses would lead to terrible unbalances.

@ breadbug
-Nah, just have WB focus more on their 2 new Scribblenauts games.
-The amount of Wii Fit U was okay, although maybe a minute too long.
-What I think was "missing" was just a mention of such IPs... and maybe a rehash video of past videos of those franchises.
-Reggie did mention that we may not be too far off from the release of a Smash 4 reveal video.

And E3 isn't about fans for Nintendo; it's about convincing 3rd party companies the Wii U is the platform to release your games on, to convince the stockholders you're doing good, and to convince studios to not just port games to the Wii U, but release games on the Wii U exclusively. That sounds mean, but think about it; the ends justify the means. If Nintendo did that, Wii U owners would get more quality games!

Seriously, without Ubisoft buying into the Wii U, owners of the Wii U would be without Rayman Legends, the Rabbids game, and Assassin's Creed III (in 1080p, while the 360 and PS3 version are in 720p). I think you need to look at it from that angle. And also, studios exist outside of Nintendo. Nintendo can't survive with only their games on their consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom