• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I pretty much agree with you. However, I must point out that Little Mac is still retro because he is old. However, he is also modern because he has been in recent games. Therefore, he fits in the " recently revived/always viable" category. Takamaru, the Balloon Fighter, and the Mach Rider are all definitely retro character possibilities.
I agree with you about Little Mac, but I'm just wondering what Sakurai thinks of him. He may treat Little Mac as the token retro character in the trailer, just because he has such a big impact in the retro days and pretty much lied low until his only recent appearance a couple years ago. And I guess Super Punch-Out, though that was a while ago too, and Little Mac looked kinda stupid in that game. :awesome:

If it were up to me though, I would agree with you and categorize Mac as the revival character.

I don't know about that. You want to reveal your most "hyped" characters a bit before the game comes out. A few months beforehand is best (like how Sonic was revealed).
I thought one of your categories for characters revealed in the trailer was mega-popular characters, of which I think the top three (excluding Megaman) would be K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo. (not that I thought all three should appear in the trailer, just the those would be the most popular). I guess it might be best for one of those to show up during the trailer, one to be shown a little before the game comes out, and the last to be an unlockable.

Although I think I might still be missing the point a little. :sadeyes:
Which characters would you pick as the mega-popular trailer reveal ones, and the pre-release hype ones?

If you think about it, that's a short list. You listed only 5 characters (assuming Miyamoto is making a new IP). I could think of a dozen retro characters in less than 30 seconds.
I think 5 new characters isn't that few, considering how many newer characters we've gotten in the past compared to older ones. If you take away Palutena (because she's from an already represented series) and you add Saki and Starfy, that's 6 potential new series to choose characters from, which would be the most newer characters yet in Smash. (Not that I'm saying they'll all get in -- they won't -- just that there's a good selection of newer characters to choose from).

While that is a shorter list than available retro characters, it's a long enough list that they won't all be able to get in SSB4. And just picking one for the trailer would work fine, I think.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just saw the Sony All Stars, I wouldn't call it a rip-off of Smash just yet. I will, however, call it a rip-off of Rumble Arena.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^I loved that game. Phantomon in Rumble Arena 2 always scared the f*ck outta me though. He killed me like EVERY DAMN TIME, lol.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Looks awful.

@Susan: Really was Kid Vid though. We used to harass him all the time, and the 90's truly ended when he eventually got expelled for threatening to bring in a gun.

Not the last we've seen of him, I'm sure!
probably dead in a ditch

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ SSBF
I agree (nearly entirely) on your list of "[semi-]seriously considered" characters, with the exception for Meloetta (we already got Lucario), Professor Layton, and the Duck Hunt Dog. Honestly, I'd rather play as the Duck Hunt Ducks or the Duck Hunt Gun than that worthless troll dog. Screw it, I'm making a Duck Hunt Gun cult! Duck Hunt Gun for Smash 4!!! :shades:
  1. Go to YouTube
  2. Watch a Smash Bros. video
  3. Read the comments
  4. "i haet pit he is pobrably goin 2 b cut anyway hes not an important character lik tails n knuckes"
  5. Lose will to live
I have a guy on youtube messaging me that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Impa will be cut in favor of Ghirahim, Demise, and Impa. I'm not kidding you. It's not that he wants it, it's that he feels these characters are suddenly more important than the 2 of the 3 most important characters in the series, including the character who the series is named after! :urg:
Honestly, when it comes to Fire Emblem women, the only one I really want is Lyn
The only Fire Emblem female character that has more than a few hardcore fans want for reasons other than they have breasts is Lyn! :chuckle:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a guy on youtube messaging me that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Impa will be cut in favor of Ghirahim, Demise, and Impa. I'm not f***ing joking me. It's not that he wants it, it's that he feels these characters are suddenly more important than the 2 of the 3 most important characters in the series, including the character who the SERIES is NAMED after! :urg:
Youtube is the collective of idiotic Smash ideas. There was a video that got major thumbs down because people thought the guy who made the roster chose Medusa from Greek mythology instead of KI.

Plus every second comment on roster vids is "Shadow should totally be in the next one".

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Youtube is the collective of idiotic Smash ideas. There was a video that got major thumbs down because people thought the guy who made the roster chose Medusa from Greek mythology instead of KI.
Yeah, I made a Brawl character prediction back about half a year before the game came out, and I guessed every character except ROB and the Pokémon Trainer (granted, I guessed 46 characters to increase my chances of being right). I didn't mind people bantering for characters like Toad, the Baby Mario Bros, Waluigi, Zant, Tingle, Vatti, Toon Zelda, Tails, Pac-Man, Simon Belmont, Isaac, Little Mac, etc (who weren't on my video), but dang everyone wanted 700 different awful 2nd Pokémon Trainer ideas, Birdo, Baby Wario, Sora, Cloud, random units from strategy RPGs, and all other kinds of characters that have no chance nor should ever be playable in smash.
Plus every second comment on roster vids is "Shadow should totally be in the next one".
Alas, someone understands me!
Debatable whether he'd be the one to pick. I felt the same way before, but when I said that everyone suggested Porky because he is a villian and that Masked Man would make two characters from the same game represented. (I think Porky was in multiple=???)

Yeah, I just did a Johnknight1
Hey, that's my 1-ism!
But you can use it.
I originally did that as kind of a joke play on to Japanese RPGs (specifically Golden Sun: The Lost Age) where the silent protagonists' only words spoken through text is "???". Plus it shows that I don't know the answer, as well as I am asking a question. It's like using a word with two meanings! :shades:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I made a Brawl character prediction back about half a year before the game came out, and I guessed every character except ROB and the Pokémon Trainer (granted, I guessed 46 characters to increase my chances of being right). I didn't mind people bantering for characters like Toad, the Baby Mario Bros, Waluigi, Zant, Tingle, Vatti, Toon Zelda, Tails, Pac-Man, Simon Belmont, Isaac, Little Mac, etc (who weren't on my video), but dang everyone wanted 700 different awful 2nd Pokémon Trainer ideas, Birdo, Baby Wario, Sora, Cloud, random units from strategy RPGs, and all other kinds of characters that have no chance nor should ever be playable in smash.
Yup, I shudder to think what would happen if there was a Youtube-wide character prediction poll.

Needless to say, I don't go there anymore for Smash vids.

Actually I still watch vids from some uploaders, because some of them have decent points, but I ignore the comments section, cause I want to keep my sanity. :laugh:

Anyways, I'm out.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Although I think I might still be missing the point a little. :sadeyes:
Which characters would you pick as the mega-popular trailer reveal ones, and the pre-release hype ones?
You are thinking characters can only be in 1 category, whereas I think they can be in multipe. Also, I would say any character with a large smash fan base, is well-known, or would generate massive hype. Basically, that would consist of the likes of K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, a 5th Generation Pokémon, Roy, Miis, Tails, Pac-Man, etc.
I think 5 new characters isn't that few, considering how many newer characters we've gotten in the past compared to older ones. If you take away Palutena (because she's from an already represented series) and you add Saki and Starfy, that's 6 potential new series to choose characters from, which would be the most newer characters yet in Smash. (Not that I'm saying they'll all get in -- they won't -- just that there's a good selection of newer characters to choose from).
Starfy and his series series are about a decade old, Saki and his series are about 15 years old, and Paletuna/Kid Icarus are over a quarter a century old

Heck, Brawl didn't have 5 characters created within the previous decade. The only characters that weren't over a decade were Lucario, Lucas (although you could argue he was older since the concept of him/EarthBound 64 was more than a decade old), Ike, and Captain Olimar. That it.
While that is a shorter list than available retro characters, it's a long enough list that they won't all be able to get in SSB4. And just picking one for the trailer would work fine, I think.
We've got tons of retro characters, mostly whom have been largely forgotten. We don't have that many viable new character choices that are less than 10 years old.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question: has anyone besides me ever thought that the Super Smash Bros. series could be EVEN a trojan horse to reeboot old characters or highlight japanese characters to the occidental players?
Just think of Kid Icarus and the Fire Emblem characters.
If this is the truth you should not be surprised to see characters you have never heard of popping out in every update of the game.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Funny thing is, John, if Starfy is added, he would be newer than Captain Olimar. So if All-Star stays the same, Starfy would be your last opponent, assuming noone newer is introduced(Shulk, Miis, etc.).

grizby2

Smash Lord
chan park: " 3rd party is a huge part of playstation" :troll:

lol, really want to play this game for myself. looks like a very interesting specimen.

EDIT: if i find out theres no crash bandicoot in that game, i will be dissapoint.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
About the entire, "Mac is a revival character" thing, I agree. Also, maybe that's what we should call Mewtwo and Roy. On the subject of "new" characters:
  1. Isaac
  2. Shulk
  3. Mii
  4. Starfy
  5. and...Dillon
That's what I think makes since. Plus whatever the IP character is. Maybe add in Saki fro good measure and Rool, and we got a deal. I would be content then, but a little disappointed that we have no Mario or Zelda rep. So add in The Wal and Queerahim and I'll be happy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
It was more that anyone who thinks Pico and Andy are only good as replacements lack imagination.

They're not really GOOD choices anyway but, y'know, whatever.
Shut up

I am thinking Sakurai's hand may be forced into showing a trailer at E3 2012 now. Keep in mind that Melee's CGI trailer was made in only a month (though tons of gameplay for Melee was also shown at E3 2001 as well).
Nope

I am really curious to E3 now. I wonder when the first guest characters for Sony Smash Bros. will be unveiled. I do think Snake and Cloud will be the guests that get the most clamor for inclusion (though technically Spyro and Crash are also both third-party characters that I could see people following Sony Smash Bros. bringing a big push for inclusion).
Lara Croft and James Bond

I posted a week ago whether Snake being in the Sony Smash Bros. would possibly keep Snake out of real Smash Bros. I think its possible that Kojima might be content to have Snake in a game with more characters like his own, and still be in a Smash Bros. like fighter. I personally think Snake fits in more with the likes of Kratos, Sweet Tooth, someone from Killzone, more than he does with the entirety of Brawl's roster.

I think as it currently stands, Snake may be one of the most likely characters from Brawl to leave.

I really like Snake's moveset though. However, in the event he does get cut, I hope people jump on the Pico taking Snake's moveset bandwagon (since Pico is awesome).
Like I said, the two games don't really conflict with each other, they'll be years apart so unless Sony Smash Bros 2 gets a sequel in 2014/2015, even if Snake gets cut, I doubt it'll be because of Sony Smash Bros (I just don't like using the title we have now lol it's a mouthful)

I would love for Pico to get in Smash, with Snake's moveset or not. He's my second most wanted F-Zero character besides Samurai Goroh

[Rumor] Wii U getting a new Metroid and maybe Android support?

Retro Studios reportedly working on Metroid...
awww... i wanted a new FZERO... well, if they are doing Metroid, we know the IP is in good hands.
Why would Retro even make another F-Zero?

It really is Sony Smash Bros, lol

Hopefully Jak is in it (though I highly doubt he won't be)

Honestly, I have this part of me that says that this PS smash bros. would be great because of the controls and all that. My main concern would be the physics of the game. It looks a bit wonky or too floaty. I don't know the word.

I don't care if the graphics look ********

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow... that Sony Smash Bros. game... DO WANT!!!

Starfy and his series series are about a decade old, Saki and his series are about 15 years old, and Paletuna/Kid Icarus are over a quarter a century old

Heck, Brawl didn't have 5 characters created within the previous decade. The only characters that weren't over a decade were Lucario, Lucas (although you could argue he was older since the concept of him/EarthBound 64 was more than a decade old), Ike, and Captain Olimar. That it.

We've got tons of retro characters, mostly whom have been largely forgotten. We don't have that many viable new character choices that are less than 10 years old.
Here's the known birthdates of most of the Nintendo franchises.

[COLLAPSE="Nintendo Franchises"]Color TV Game - 1977
Sheriff - 1979

Game & Watch - 04/28/1980
Sky Skipper - 1981
Mario - 07/09/1981
Donkey Kong - 07/09/1981
Balloon Fight - 1984
Punch-Out!! - 02/1984
Duck Hunt - 04/21/1984
Clu Clu Land - 11/22/1984
Devil World - 10/05/1985
Urban Champion - 11/14/1984
Excitebike - 11/30/1984
Ice Climber - 01/30/1985
R.O.B. - 07/26/1985
Mach Rider - 11/21/1985
Zelda - 02/21/1986
Murasame Castle - 04/14/1986
Metroid - 08/06/1986
Pro Wrestling - 10/21/1986
Kid Icarus - 12/19/1986
Mother/EarthBound - 07/27/1989

Fire Emblem - 04/20/1990
Yoshi - 11/21/1990
F-Zero - 11/21/1990
Star Tropics - 12/01/1990
Pilotwings - 12/21/1990
Kirby - 04/27/1992
X - 05/29/1992
Wave Race - 07/1992
For the Frog the Bell Tolls - 09/14/1992
Star Fox - 02/21/1993
Joy Mech Fight - 05/21/1993
Wario - 01/21/1994
Puzzle League - 10/27/1995
Pokemon - 02/27/1996
Mole Mania - 07/21/1996
Super Smash Bros. - 01/21/1999
Doshin the Giant - 12/01/1999
Custom Robo - 12/08/1999

Sin & Punishment - 11/21/2000
Kururin - 03/21/2001
Animal Crossing - 04/14/2001
Golden Sun - 08/01/2001
Pikmin - 10/26/2001
Magical Vacation/Starsign - 12/07/2001
Tomato Adventure - 01/25/2002
Starfy - 09/06/2002
PictoChat - 12/02/2004
Electroplankton - 04/07/2005
Nintendogs - 04/21/2005
Chibi-Robo - 06/23/2005
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents - 07/28/2005
Drill Dozer - 09/22/2005
Art Style - 07/13/2006
Rhythm Heaven - 08/03/2006
Tingle - 09/02/2006
Wii Sports - 11/19/2006
Professor Layton - 02/15/2007
Fossil Fighters - 04/17/2008
Captain Rainbow - 08/28/2008

Xenoblade Chronicles - 06/10/2010
The Last Story - 01/27/2011
Pandora's Tower - 05/26/2011
Pushmo - 10/05/2011
Sakura Samurai - 11/16/2011
Swapnote - 12/21/2011
Dillon's Rolling Western - 02/22/2012[/COLLAPSE]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What I noticed about Sony Smash Bros. is that the stages seem to combine two franchises into one. For example, there was that stage with some flaming giant with an iron mask, I think he's from God of War... and the background becomes more colorful as those one-eyed black creatures who obviously don't look like they belong in God of War and they were throwing spears at the giant... and the giant attacked the background. There was another stage with the three-headed dragon, the Hydra, from God of War in the background of some futuristic setting with moving conveyer belts.. was that from Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter?

I wonder if Smash 4 might feature more stages that combine two franchises into one. We have already seen it in Brawl with the fish from Balloon Fight appearing in the Ice Climber stage. There is a precedent already set.

Question about Sony Smash bros.

What's that blue meter in the HUD?

Oh and, where's the HP? I don't see the HP.....

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
The game is about building up this meter, for some kind of Final Smash attack (with 3 stages), and you can only kill your opponents with these super attacks, there is no HP or throwing them off the stage.

Well to be honest, that sounds ridiculous but.... I might as well wait. Maybe this whole build up meter to KO seems to be a good idea after all.

Uhhh. Meh. I have a neutral opinion regarding sony smash bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am kinda hoping Sony Smash Bros. has Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro... they got their start on the PSOne. My inner fanboy is hoping for Prince of Persia from the Sands of Time trilogy. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
PaRappa the Rapper is paper-thin... just like in the original game. Nice touch, Sony! Guess he's Sony's Mr. Game & Watch. :awesome:

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
Characters that should be added:
Psycho Fox
Wonderboy
Alex Kidd
Ovoid
Kratos
Master Chief
Redead
Kurt Cobain
Freddy Krueger
Jeffrey Dahmer
Al Bundy
Superman
The Incredible Hulk
Paper Luigi
Talon
Anju
Baby Mario
Spongebob
Other characters that should be added:
John Lydon
Waluigi
Donkey Kong Jr.
Siouxsie Sioux
Lanmolas
Cranky Kong
Bruce Lee
Chris Jericho
Brock Lesnar
Ren And Stimpy
Chuckie Finster (Baby version only!)
Volvagia
Deku Butler
Eddie Vedder
Gnawty (DK Enemy)
Tiptup
Goggles (From Banjo-Tooie)
Mickey Mouse
Popeye

Also, why do think I was joking, Mypantisgone? I wasn't joking. They should actually add those characters.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Nice roster... but why did you pick the TxSF Megaman. Eeeeewwww... He looks like Tingle in a blue and yellow skintight suit.:troll:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Funny thing is, John, if Starfy is added, he would be newer than Captain Olimar. So if All-Star stays the same, Starfy would be your last opponent, assuming noone newer is introduced(Shulk, Miis, etc.).
That assuming they will keep the characters in the same order of the All Stars mode in Brawl.
That's one of the thing I didn't like, as well as in the classic mode. Knowing which characters you are going to fight spoils the fun IMHO.
If I was setting the game modes in the next game I would do like this:

Classic mode:

1)Each franchise is met no more than one time (the one of your own char doesn't count)

2)Normal fights and special fights (1 vs many, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 1 giant, 1 vs 1 metal) are alternated

3)You meet every kind of special fight at least one time.

4)Your allies are totally ramdomly and are not in their original colors. But you have not two times the same ally.

5)The second last match is a battle royal with three chracters of three franchises you have never met (again, the one of your own char doesn't count).

All stars mode:

1)You meet all the characters grouped ramdomly and in one of their alt palette.

2)The number of the opponents in each group is inversely proportional to the number of groups of that number opponents. ECCEPT for the last fight against your mirror.
I'll explain with a sample. Let's say there are 51 characters. The sequence then is this:

2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 6 + 1(your mirror)

3)I would even suggest to change the name from All-Stars to Marathon.

4)The stage belongs to the first character you met and it's never met twice.

5)You fight no more than three characters at the same time

6)The second character appears after a while, and so the third and the fourth.

It's kind of funny how Sony can't seem to get a mascot that sticks.
I think Sackboy is the mascot for Sony but the problem is, I don't feel the mascot vibe from him.
Nice roster... but why did you pick the TxSF Megaman. Eeeeewwww... He looks like Tingle in a blue and yellow skintight suit.:troll:
You mean SFxT megaman.

I chose him above all megamans for no reason. Cause he looks funny.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think Sackboy is the mascot for Sony but the problem is, I don't feel the mascot vibe from him.
First it was like, Lara Croft I think? And then Spyro? Maybe Crash was next. Then I think for a time it was Jak. I really don't follow very closely. I think maybe Kratos was, and now it's Sackboy. I dunno. Probably none of them were "officially" mascots.

JUST CAN'T SEEM TO HAVE ENOUGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom