• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why can we have cycles of repeating Mario and Pokemon character debates but for Zelda, all must at all cost remain the same?

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
HEY HORSETAIL.

8D

SOMEONE KNOWS MARVELOUS?!

*Faint*

I love that game to bits! The MOST UNDERRATED NINTENDO-GAME ever.

I'd really wanna see that game even littlest bit be referenced.

Reminds me also the fact that I should've worked on that walkthrough for NinDB, hehe.

But great inclusion man! *Brofist*

/Okay, that was way too overboard.../

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, Donkey Kong is NO ****ing Mario spin off series damn it.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman

For once I actually agree with diddy. People from YouTube (who probably only play Mario party and Mario kart and never played a DK country game) keep going around saying "DK is a Mario spin off so you can't give it 2 new characters"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth would make a boring moveset, though, with all slashing and money-based stuff. Really there is so much that cat can do. I would much rather have Lucario as a playable character because of the moves he can do. The same goes with why I would rather have Victini over my favorite Pokémon (Blastoise).
Biased opinion is biased. You are saying that Meowth would be a boring character because all he does is scratch and throw coins. That's like saying Pikachu is boring because all he does is generate electricity... or Jigglypuff is boring because all she does is float and sing. Come on now...

Here's my Meowth moveset I made back in Summer 2011.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only Pokemon that is extremely popular and not (currently) in Smash Bros. is Mewtwo.

You are right though that there is a general sense of that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. I am hearing it everywhere. Some have even gone to say that we need to open the floodgates to third-party characters because there are so few notable Nintendo characters left to put in.
Some Pokemon are wanted or unwanted.... some people are expecting certain Pokemon to show up... and some people are not expecting certain Pokemon to show up... which Pokemon fits one of these four categories?

Wanted/Expected - Mewtwo
Wanted/Unexpected - Meowth, Deoxys
Unwanted/Expected - Zoroark, Pichu
Unwanted/Unexpected - most of the 649 Pokemon not in Smash

...at least that's how I see it.

As for scrapping the bottom of the barrel? No, I disagree with this assessment. We have plenty of NINTENDO characters we can add in Smash without scrapping the bottom of the barrel and without resorting to third party support. Take a good look here...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Biased opinion is biased. You are saying that Meowth would be a boring character because all he does is scratch and throw coins. That's like saying Pikachu is boring because all he does is generate electricity... or Jigglypuff is boring because all she does is float and sing. Come on now...
So what. It's opinion he's allowed to have. He thinks it would be boring. There you go.

As for scrapping the bottom of the barrel? No, I disagree with this assessment. We have plenty of NINTENDO characters we can add in Smash without scrapping the bottom of the barrel and without resorting to third party support. Take a good look here...

You included Mewoth and Duck Hunt Dog, two characters you have extraordinary bias towards. And Tingle, someone no one wants and who has since been removed from Zelda titles. Don't think you have an argument.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For a Yoshi stage, since its a bit difficult to come up with much due to the series sort of being dead-ish, I'm partial to the idea of going with World 3 from Yoshi's Island. I remember seeing a suggestion for Monkey's Favorite Lake, and it occurred to me that if random stages were used from Yoshi's Island, it may be best to go with a World 3 stage, since that's the world that's on the box art for Yoshi's Island. Usually the other suggestions seem to be the place where you fight Raphael Raven (in order to come up with some non-Galaxy spherical world stage) or Baby Bowser's Castle, but I think the latter is no good, since it'd be better to just drop the Baby part and make it Bowser's Castle proper.

Still for a specific spot from World 3, I'd say Nep-Enut's Domain. It'd be cool to see those things pop out of the water, wouldn't it?
This. This is one of the more memorable levels in that SNES classic.

I also would love to see Chocolate Island from Super Mario World.

I still want a Bowser's Castle stage... I would like it to be a mix of different Bowser's Castles from several Mario games. Elements in the Bowser's Castle stage should include the following:

- the bridge that can be destroyed with the Skull Switch - it repairs itself over time (from New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
- the Chain Chomps holding up chandeliers - the chandeliers serving as pass-through platforms (from Super Mario RPG)
- one giant Bowser statue breathing big fireballs at the stage from the background (from Mario Kart: Double Dash)
- lava pit below the bridge with lava bubbles called Podoboos jumping from the lava (from Super Mario Bros.)
- Thwomps at opposite ends of the bridge serving as moving solid platforms from the top and burying characters underground like the Pitfall item from the bottom (from Super Mario Bros. 3)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what. It's opinion he's allowed to have. He thinks it would be boring. There you go.

You included Mewoth and Duck Hunt Dog, two characters you have extraordinary bias towards. And Tingle, someone no one wants and who has since been removed from Zelda titles. Don't think you have an argument.
Gotta love how Smashchu take every opportunity to rip down any Meowth/Duck Hunt Dog/Tingle support. :rolleyes:

No one wants Tingle? You still speaking for everyone, Smashchu? Who died and made you our voice?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Gotta love how Smashchu take every opportunity to rip down any Meowth/Duck Hunt Dog/Tingle support. :rolleyes:
And by all those supporters, you mean just you.

No one wants Tingle? You still speaking for everyone, Smashchu? Who died and made you our voice?
You know he is one of the most hated characters around right?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Some Pokemon are wanted or unwanted.... some people are expecting certain Pokemon to show up... and some people are not expecting certain Pokemon to show up... which Pokemon fits one of these four categories?

Wanted/Expected - Mewtwo
Wanted/Unexpected - Meowth, Deoxys
Unwanted/Expected - Zoroark, Pichu
Unwanted/Unexpected - most of the 649 Pokemon not in Smash

...at least that's how I see it.

Although I personally like Meowth and the Duck Hunt Dog, I don't think that Meowth has a chance anymore. I think that we're going to get a new-gen Pokemon in Sm4sh and that Pikachu and Jiggs aren't going anywhere, so unless Pokemon Trainer is booted, another 1st gen seems unlikely. And if any first gen is likely to be added, I think it would be Mewtwo given his Smash Bros popularity. The Duck Hunt Dog I would prefer to Takamaru or Mach Rider, but I have never heard Sakurai mention Duck Hunt in any context which makes me doubt that he has much interest in the character. A shame.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

Actually Mario got his start in the arcade game Donkey Kong as Jump Man. Mario and DK have an older rivalry then Bowser.

As for Tingle, Duck Hunt Dog, and Meowth. Of all the Zelda characters Tingle is my least favorite. I like the snotty kid in wind waker more than Tingle. As for DH Dog and Meowth I'm not totally against them but I wouldn't be excited for them being in it either.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And by all those supporters, you mean just you.

You know he is one of the most hated characters around right?
That's what you think. Meowth got at least two "Meowth for Smash 4" pages on Facebook (with each page having about 70-80 supporters) and there are many videos supporting Meowth on YouTube... Duck Hunt Dog got about 1,000 supporters on Facebook. Tingle got plenty of support on YouTube, too. Or are you gonna deny all that and claim that I made all those pro-Tingle videos because I am the only one who actively supports him? :rolleyes:

BTW, Tingle got a cameo in Skyward Sword... Nintendo didn't forget about Tingle.

Although I personally like Meowth and the Duck Hunt Dog, I don't think that Meowth has a chance anymore. I think that we're going to get a new-gen Pokemon in Sm4sh and that Pikachu and Jiggs aren't going anywhere, so unless Pokemon Trainer is booted, another 1st gen seems unlikely. And if any first gen is likely to be added, I think it would be Mewtwo given his Smash Bros popularity. The Duck Hunt Dog I would prefer to Takamaru or Mach Rider, but I have never heard Sakurai mention Duck Hunt in any context which makes me doubt that he has much interest in the character. A shame.
Mewtwo is not a newcomer... I consider him a returning veteran if he is added. That's why my list of newcomers doesn't have Mewtwo and instead has Meowth. Also, to the bolded part: this is why I consider Meowth a "wanted but unexpected" Pokemon newcomer. I think many people were demoralized after Brawl and they gave up supporting "Meowth for Smash", preferring to support Mewtwo and the new Pokemon because Mewtwo was in Melee and the new Pokemon is a "safe" choice.

Consider this... did Sakurai ever mention R.O.B. in any context before Brawl was even announced? Nope, but that didn't keep R.O.B. from getting in Brawl. BTW, have you read the Ducks trophy in Melee? It mentioned the dog and described him as slightly clamorous (a reference to the dog laughing like a troll).

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
That's what you think. Meowth got at least two "Meowth for Smash 4" pages on Facebook (with each page having about 70-80 supporters) and there are many videos supporting Meowth on YouTube... Duck Hunt Dog got about 1,000 supporters on Facebook. Tingle got plenty of support on YouTube, too. Or are you gonna deny all that and claim that I made all those pro-Tingle videos because I am the only one who actively supports him? :rolleyes:

BTW, Tingle got a cameo in Skyward Sword... Nintendo didn't forget about Tingle.

Mewtwo is not a newcomer... I consider him a returning veteran if he is added. That's why my list of newcomers doesn't have Mewtwo and instead has Meowth. Also, to the bolded part: this is why I consider Meowth a "wanted but unexpected" Pokemon newcomer. I think many people were demoralized after Brawl and they gave up supporting "Meowth for Smash", preferring to support Mewtwo and the new Pokemon because Mewtwo was in Melee and the new Pokemon is a "safe" choice.

Consider this... did Sakurai ever mention R.O.B. in any context before Brawl was even announced? Nope, but that didn't keep R.O.B. from getting in Brawl. BTW, have you read the Ducks trophy in Melee? It mentioned the dog and described him as slightly clamorous (a reference to the dog laughing like a troll).
I forgot about the Duck Hunt trophy, apologies. And I never said Mewtwo was a newcomer, I just think that his return is more likely than Meowth being introduced as a playable character at this stage.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I forgot about the Duck Hunt trophy, apologies. And I never said Mewtwo was a newcomer, I just think that his return is more likely than Meowth being introduced as a playable character at this stage.
I know, I know... I am pretty sure Mewtwo is almost a shoe-in in Smash 4 along with a 5th gen Pokemon (Zoroark, Victini, Genesect, or possibly even a new Pokemon Trainer). I keep holding out hope that somehow Meowth may make the cut, finally, after 3 games. :urg: Maybe I should try asking Sakurai to add Meowth in Smash 4 on Twitter. At least Sakurai does acknowledge that Meowth is a major Pokemon on the Brawl Dojo and that Meowth is one of the most famous Pokemon on Meowth's Brawl trophy.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
This Meowth thing was enough to get me to get out of bed and go to my computer. That's saying something.

I absolutely love Pokemon (the videogames; let me make that clear). It is, without a doubt, my favorite Nintendo series. I know its ins and outs as well as some of the better meta players, so I would like to think my opinion is at least grounded in facts and experience.

Please, please no Meowth. I'm not going to sit here and analyze why he might or might not get in (because trying to predict what Sakurai will do is almost literally useless), but I can say that, as a Pokemon fan, there are infinitely many more choices I'd prefer.

Okay, Meowth is pretty popular in the anime. But to say that anime popularity is the most qualifying characteristic is silly. Back in the heyday of Pokemon, when the anime was still popular and respected amongst Pokemon fans, yes it was. In fact, it's huge attachment to the games was one of the only reasons why Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo were in Smash Bros. But now we live in a time when the anime is watched mostly by... well, almost nobody. The anime is still decent (if you can get used to Ash's voice actor), but it isn't widespread at all. If Meowth had been put in instead of Jiggs in 64 or even Melee, I would be all for his return. But he missed the first-gen anime train. Again, this isn't an argument as to why Meowth won't show up, it's why I don't want him to show up.

I'm not going to tear down your favorite Pokemon here, but please know that implying that Meowth is a better choice than any other of the 649 Pokemon is not only incredibly narrow-minded, but also wrong. There are plenty of "oddball, middle of the Dex" Pokemon that I'd like to see playable before him. Golurk, Sudowoodo, Gardevoir, etc. These are notable enough, and all could bring something drastically new to gameplay (that's why I'm rooting so hard for a second Pokemon Trainer). No, I don't think these will happen, but I'd rather see them than Meowth.

Don't hate me, I just don't want Meowth.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

OH MY GOD, 70 supporters. I was SOOOOOOOOOOO wrong. And 1000. My god. In short, most characters would have far and beyond more than that. 70 is actually a joke.

EDIT:And OH MY GOD, Tingle made a cameo. Doesn't change the fact he'll never get in because people despise him, but I guess you'll just ignore that fact huh?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@Smashchu Well, we're the smartest of the tree's branches, aren't we?

Facebook is a ****ty place to gather followers as is. So idk what your so mighty about :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Giant Breadbug

I never said Meowth is a better Pokemon than any of the 649 Pokemon... of course Meowth in the games is not one of the best Pokemon in the competitive scene. It is just that Meowth would be a better choice than most of the 649 Pokemon because it is one of the most famous Pokemon. I mean, you mentioned Golurk, Sudowoodo, Gardevoir, etc... but to the people who don't play Pokemon games very often or not at all, who is more likely to be recognized right away? Meowth. Why? Because of the anime and because it is a cat... people would recognize a cat instantly than those Pokemon I don't know where to begin describing.

There's a reason the only playable Pokemon we have in Smash games are the most famous Pokemon. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur (expy of the more famous Bulbasaur and Venusaur), Charizard, Red (expy of Ash Ketchum), Lucario, and maybe Plusle & Minun (if we go with the pra_mai theory)

@ Smashchu

Y so srs?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
How about we all just vote for Victini? It's better than voting for Meowth and Zoroark, after all :cool: Cool kids vote for victory :cool:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, when it comes to 1st Gen Pokemon, my personal hierarchy would be Mewtwo>Snorlax>Meowth>Eevee>>>>>Cubone(:awesome:)>>Everyone else.

Just my opinion.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Nick: It's because I found something to do other than speculating which is playing UMvC 3 PLUS other games that I'm on a look out for. Also, I'm gonna buy SFxT and SC5 (Kuma, you have a PSN?) sooo.... yeah. I'll be sure to come back when ANY BIG NEWS comes.
Sorry, only have XBL.

Where have you been? SmashChu knows all.

@ Smashchu

Y so srs?
He's incapable of not being serious.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Glad to see Keldeo finally get revealed. He'd make a good Poke Ball.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I really wish Deoxys had a better chance of getting in... he's my second most wanted Pokemon for Smash (other than the obvious)

I'm not against Meowth getting in and he'd be pretty unique, of course. But, compared to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Deoxys, Scizor, or even current-gen candidates such as Victini and Genesect... he just isn't all that interesting to me

Daroach

Smash Cadet
Also Meowth isn't voiced by Maddie Blaustein anymore, so it wouldn't be the same if he was made playable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really wish Deoxys had a better chance of getting in... he's my second most wanted Pokemon for Smash (other than the obvious)

Genesect and Victini are good choices too, though

I'm not against Meowth getting in and he'd be pretty unique, of course. But, compared to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Deoxys, Scizor, or even current-gen candidates such as Victini and Genesect... he just isn't all that interesting to me

Well... with due respect, isn't Jigglypuff or Pichu even that interesting when compared to Mewtwo, Deoxys, Scizor, Victini, Genesect, etc.? Or would people say they are interesting because they have already seen them in action in Smash? Hmmm...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Falchion: The only things that really irk me are the addition of Travis, and a 3rd Gen rep, while removing the only 4th Gen rep, and no Mewtwo. Other than that, it looks pretty good. And NO JIGGLYPUFF?!?! And that I think if 3rd Parties return, the ones we have won't leave.

@Daroach: Poor Blaustein, RIP. It really is kinda sad about that. Either way, I don't think the voice would be a matter.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@ Giant Breadbug

I never said Meowth is a better Pokemon than any of the 649 Pokemon... of course Meowth in the games is not one of the best Pokemon in the competitive scene. It is just that Meowth would be a better choice than most of the 649 Pokemon because it is one of the most famous Pokemon. I mean, you mentioned Golurk, Sudowoodo, Gardevoir, etc... but to the people who don't play Pokemon games very often or not at all, who is more likely to be recognized right away? Meowth. Why? Because of the anime and because it is a cat... people would recognize a cat instantly than those Pokemon I don't know where to begin describing.

There's a reason the only playable Pokemon we have in Smash games are the most famous Pokemon. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur (expy of the more famous Bulbasaur and Venusaur), Charizard, Red (expy of Ash Ketchum), Lucario, and maybe Plusle & Minun (if we go with the pra_mai theory)
I don't care that Meowth doesn't have the best stats. I raise Pokémon that I like, regardless of how terrible they might be.

Also, the bit about Meowth being more recognizable is silly. People who don't play Pokémon probably don't watch Pokémon, so the odds of them recognizing Meowth just because of the anime are slim. And just because some person who hasn't played Pokémon in his/her life can point to a picture of Meowth and identify him because they saw "that one episode of the anime," that doesn't make Meowth a better choice. And "it is a cat?" So now we should restrict playable Pokemon to those that are similar to recognizable, IRL creatures? Some of the coolest Pokémon (like the ones I listed) may be "difficult to recognize/describe" (ancient automaton, tree, and humanoid guardian would be how you describe those, by the way), so saying that Meowth is a better choice because "people would recognize a cat instantly" isn't exactly a good argument.

Pokémon Trainer is loosely based on anime elements (and I'm being generous). Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are popular because they're starters. Every person who has played first generation has come into contact with at least one of them, if not all three. Plusle and Minun in no way, shape, or form have a prominent anime presence. They were dreamed up to replace Pichu; the anime had nothing to do with them being planned (if the pri_mai theory even holds up).

And what I'm saying is that the anime no longer defines "fame." Yeah, a good many of the Pokémon we play as in Smash are there, in part, because of the anime (to say that the videogames don't have equal influence is just ignorant), but the times they are a-changin'. It's time to include Pokémon that fans of Pokémon games will enjoy. I don't know sh*t about Fire Emblem, so I don't care who gets in, as long as they're fun to play. I'm willing to bet that people who don't know much about Pokémon would feel the same.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The more popular something is, the better it is.
There's no need to understand something if someone else can explain it for you.
It's a matter of who gets in Smash, not how they play. They can all play the same and people will still play it.
A game should be as simple as possible. The more simple it is, the more it will sell.
Developers should always listen to the customer because the customer is always right, no matter what. The developer's opinions are meaningless if they do not align with the customer's interests.
Quantity over Quality.

All the above are 100% true and are infallible, just like our Lord, SmashChu.

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
Did you even play Return to Dream Land? The spear moveset he had in that game would easily transition to Smash Bros., heck he already has an obvious recovery move (the helicopter spear spin).

As to the OVAs, I am still curious when we are even going to get them. There has been no release date set for them, and we are now six weeks away from Uprising's release. I thought they would be an excellent way to build up hype for Uprising leading up to its release.
Yes, I loved Return to Dreamland. And Waddle Dee made sense there. Not in Smash Bros., though. Not in my opinion at least.

And I'm sure the OVAs will appear closer to the release of the game.

Brofist

Har

Har

Har

no

Sorry for the offensive sarcasm. I'm just tired of posts like these. Toad is so ****ing iconic to the point that he's practically everywhere when Mario is talked about. He practically is ONE of the representatives of Mario. Why the hell would he even represent the spin offs?

Oh god, a spin off rep will never happen. Scratch that, spin off character. It will always be the mainstream represen--- characters.
I never said his inclusion in Smash Bros. would represent Mario spin-off games. I know he's a main-ish character in the main series Mario games. But in order to actually give him a moveset, they would have to dip into the Mario-spinoff games he's been in. Toad doesn't exactly do much besides run and jump around, after all.

Besides, the Mario spin-off games are practically different franchises on their own. It would be nice to have a character represent them, and Waluigi is the go to spin-off character (well, aside from Daisy, lol).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Breadbug

So... Chandelure for Smash 4 because it is the most popular 5th gen Pokemon among fans who play the games? I really don't think they are going to do that. :-/ I think Nintendo/Sakurai would prefer to add a character more people are likely to recognize instead of adding a character few people would recognize, regardless of their popularity. It would appeal more people... it appeals the fans of the games and attracts new people to the games.

@ Smashchu

At least Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, and Tingle are far more interesting than Sheriff and Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven (fans would rather have Ryu from Street Fighter anyway). You don't even know how Sheriff would work.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@ Smashchu

At least Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, and Tingle are far more interesting than Sheriff and Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven (fans would rather have Ryu from Street Fighter anyway). You don't even know how Sheriff would work.
Wow. He actually GOT YOU GOOD, SmashChu.

Also that's really sad Meowth's voice actor died. The magic that Arcadenik fell in love with is something he will never see in Smash now. Sakurai has teased Nik THAT long.

Heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom