• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSBB is missing survival mode. I know there's arena mode but the difference is that the enemies are real fighters from the roster.

Off for a while

D

Deleted member

@JavaCroc: I would very much enjoy an improve All-Star mode like that. Would bring back the peaceful feeling Melee had yet add more variety to it.
Hoots said:
A discussion about overrated characters and no one has mentioned Takamaru? For shame!
Why are Takamaru's chances overrated? He's easily the most likely "retro" newcomer we have for SSB4.
OmegaXVII said:
Otherwise I'd expect Slime being the most possible rep to be considered since he has closer ties with Nintendo, even though I'd much rather have Cloud.
I would have to agree, Slime is the most likely rep from Square Enix. I highly doubt any other rep has much of a chance.
Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
I never saw that image before, but it was a sign of a disappointment to Deoxys supporters.

That's pretty much why my expectations with Victini are low.
I actually see a possible, but unlikely scenario. I remember that Deoxys and Blaziken were highly requested for SSBB as playable characters. Due to a lack of relevancy, they got the Pokeball treatment while Lucario was made playable. A similar scenario could happen in which both Zoroark and Victini get the Pokeball treatment and Genesect becomes playable, thought this is much less likely due to the fact that the two most highly supported Pokemon characters are from the gen most likely to be represented.

Honestly, as someone against Zoroark's inclusion and since I can't find any other alternatives to him, Victini's is pretty much my only realistic hope for a Pokemon newcomer. That's why I'm keeping my hopes high, because in all honesty, even if I had no faith in Victini's inclusion, I would still be disappointed if Zoroark got in and replaced Lucario.
JavaCroc said:
Relevance - His last game hasn't released since 2007, so the series is in hiatus. Comparably, the last Advance Wars game was released in 2008, and the last Chibi-Robo and Sin & Punishment games were released in 2009, so those three franchises are more recent than Custom Robo
Popularity - He's not very demanded nor popular as a character. Little Mac, Isaac, and perhaps Starfy and Saki too are more likely to get in than Ray is
Those are pretty much my biggest worries about Ray. Considering that I think he is deserving, I am very worried that even without universal roster that he'll be skipped.
berserker01 said:
JavaCroc, relevance isn't much of a factor.
It is not everything, but it is still important and to dismiss it is ridiculous. Sure it's overrated (Particularly the "Must have appeared in the latest game kind"), but it is still important.

The only irrelevant characters that have gotten in are retro characters and that's because they're retro. Even Marth, who hadn't appeared in a game since January, 1994 before Melee, was important to his own series (Which was very popular in Japan) and was highly requested for Melee and as such, got in. Ray has neither advantages and as such, out of the six potential new franchises I can see coming {Punch-Out!!, Starfy, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Golden Sun), Custom Robo is the least likely to see a playale character. Now he does have some thing going for him, but it may not be enough.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
All-Star mode should be like Brawl's.
That was some nice way to represent the franchises.

Also, the last match should be at least a 1x3 (in solo mode) to give a better challenge. If there are 2 characters from the last franchise, the most important character is doubled. For example, let's say Louie joins SSB4 and Pikmin is still the last franchise (I surely hope not): It would be a fight against 2 Olimar + 1 Louie.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Here's an idea:

All-Star Mode should be "survival" style of play, meaning you would choose your character and have very limited health item to recover, the difference is that it should be nonstop on the same stage until you clear the whole thing.

It would kinda be like Tekken Force or Mortal Kombat's Endurance round, it would test a persons skill as a player and endurance.

:phone:

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
SSBB is missing survival mode. I know there's arena mode but the difference is that the enemies are real fighters from the roster.

Off for a while
Adding a Survival mode would be one of the simplest new game modes and improvements Sakurai can make. I'm a little surprised we didn't even get one in Brawl. Is the concept too similar to All-Star or Multi-Man Brawl? Did Sakurai focus too much on the Subspace Emissary?

For Adventure mode, I'd like the story to be less linear, and I want players to be able to play as any character they want in the story instead of using selected characters for each level.

To allow this, I think you should only play that character's part of the story when you select a character. For example, you select Pit. When you play Adventure Mode as Pit, you're only experiencing the levels that are parts of Pit's story, and only seeing cutscenes directly involved in Pit's slice of the Adventure Mode story.

However, to encourage players to experiment with their characters, you can only reach a certain major or climatic point in that character's story. At that point, you must play as other characters and complete their stories up to a point before you can continue that particular character's story.

Only when you've played with a fair number of different characters can you experience the end of the Adventure Mode story - and once you've achieved that progress through the story, you can play until the end with any character you choose.

What do people think of this organization of Adventure Mode?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Here's an idea:

All-Star Mode should be "survival" style of play, meaning you would choose your character and have very limited health item to recover, the difference is that it should be nonstop on the same stage until you clear the whole thing.

It would kinda be like Tekken Force or Mortal Kombat's Endurance round, it would test a persons skill as a player and endurance.

People, People please stop making such horrible suggestion (no offense omega) SSB. is a series that surpasses all these copycat fighters...... if I was better as a game than these fighter why would I borrow Ideas from games that are lower than me...SSB. is known for a fun atmosphere while other fighting games are known for competitive boring atmosphere.

OmegaXXII

Although I do think he has an OK chance at becoming a playable character, he is lacking in some attributes that can help determine a character's chance and reason for being in SSB4:

• [*]Relevance - His last game hasn't released since 2007, so the series is in hiatus. Comparably, the last Advance Wars game was released in 2008, and the last Chibi-Robo and Sin & Punishment games were released in 2009, so those three franchises are more recent than Custom Robo
  • Popularity - He's not very demanded nor popular as a character. Little Mac, Isaac, and perhaps Starfy and Saki too are more likely to get in than Ray is
However, he's not completely overrated as Travis Touchdown or Krystal are. Even though his franchise is on hiatus, he's probably the fifth-in-running new franchise character outside of the four I noted above due to his growing (but still small) popularity and moveset potential.

So when I said Ray was overrated, I didn't mean like his predicted chances by other people are overblown. He's just the least likely "likely" new franchise character we'll get. My predicted chance for him is somewhere around 50%.
I agree with mostly everything but the relavence part, I believe a character doesn't have to appear on a recent game for it to be entirely considered, take Game & Watch for example, he wasn't relavent since the 80's but then appeared in Melee, I believe any character could make a comeback and return to become an all-star regardless of relavence.

But I do agree with Ray not having his chances good enough, even if relavence isn't taken into account I believe popularity also play a roll with Sakurai considering a character.

Ray's chances may not be be high enough but it's agreed that he does have a crack at it since he was upgraded from a trophy in Melee to an AT in Brawl.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I agree with mostly everything but the relavence part, I believe a character doesn't have to appear on a recent game for it to be entirely considered, take Game & Watch for example, he wasn't relavent since the 80's but then appeared in Melee, I believe any character could make a comeback and return to become an all-star regardless of relavence.

But I do agree with Ray not having his chances good enough, even if relavence isn't taken into account I believe popularity also play a roll with Sakurai considering a character.

Ray's chances may not be be high enough but it's agreed that he does have a crack at it since he was upgraded from a trophy in Melee to an AT in Brawl.

The problem with using Mr. Game & Watch is that he's a retro character - retro characters are excluded from the "relevance" factor since they're... well, old. Meanwhile, Ray's game was pretty recent, though not recent enough that it hurts his chances.

I consider characters relegated NES, SNES, and N64 eras as retro characters. Anyone newer than that falls under the influence of the relevance factor.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Omega don't waste your with such commenters putting rules and stuff.....there is no rules other than having a big role in their or Nintendo are willing to revive a franchise so they put a character that is forgotten.

D

Deleted member

The problem with using Mr. Game & Watch is that he's a retro character - retro characters are excluded from the "relevance" factor since they're... well, old. Meanwhile, Ray's game was pretty recent, though not recent enough that it hurts his chances.

I consider characters relegated NES, SNES, and N64 eras as retro characters. Anyone newer than that falls under the influence of the relevance factor.
Technically, Mr. Game & Watch wouldn't be considered a retro character due to having a GBA game back in 1999, but I still see your point. By this rate, would Saki suffer from relevancy issues as well even thought his last games was on the N64 in 2000?

OmegaXXII

Omega don't waste your with such commenters putting rules and stuff.....there is no rules other than having a big role in their or Nintendo are willing to revive a franchise so they put a character that is forgotten.

Yes, yes you're right, let's talk about the Burger Knight instead!

DarkChris126

Smash Journeyman
i dont support chris redfiled, i just said that i can see him fit in smash bros and then i guess i accidentally caused a hate filled discussion of whether he should be or not

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Technically, Mr. Game & Watch wouldn't be considered a retro character due to having a GBA game back in 1999, but I still see your point. By this rate, would Saki suffer from relevancy issues as well even thought his last games was on the N64 in 2000?
That's a good point to bring up: would a character only from an older game in the franchise be less relevant and therefore less likely?

In the case of Sin & Punishment and probably other similar franchises; if the character is major and was in the first game in the franchise, he may have higher priority over the newer character, as while the newer character may be... uh, newer, the older and original characters in the franchise generally tend to be the more iconic. It depends on the series; if Custom Robo gets a rep, I think we're more likely to see Ray MK III, IMO, than the original Ray.

In the Sin & Punishment series, since Saki was the main character from the first game and is also more popular right now than Isa even is, I think Saki will take the slot if Sin & Punishment is given one.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Know what Im gona do if Im still around when SSB4 comes out?
Im gona lol so hard and quote the **** outa this thread!!

Lol!I just got an idea.Is the threads be4 SSBB came out still around?

OmegaXXII

That's a good point to bring up: would a character only from an older game in the franchise be less relevant and therefore less likely?

In the case of Sin & Punishment and probably other similar franchises; if the character is major and was in the first game in the franchise, he may have higher priority over the newer character, as while the newer character may be... uh, newer, the older and original characters in the franchise generally tend to be the more iconic. It depends on the series; if Custom Robo gets a rep, I think we're more likely to see Ray MK III, IMO, than the original Ray.

In the Sin & Punishment series, since Saki was the main character from the first game and is also more popular right now than Isa even is, I think Saki will take the slot if Sin & Punishment is given one.

Good point you brought there even if a certain character isn't as relavent as the latest character in the series, it doesn't necessarily mean that the newest character always has priority; like Marth for example during Melee's development
even though Roy was the latest lord Marth still got in regardless even after his original game had been out for quite a while, why did he get in? Because of his iconic reputation with the series, the same could happen with Ray.

The point is that even if the a certain character isn't always relavent; being iconic enough would probably be something that Sakurai would overlook regardless of relavency or not.

D

Deleted member

Another similar example is the Golden Sun series. Isaac, despite not being the main protagonists of the latest game, has been the main one of the best selling and best receiving Golden Sun game in the series, not to mention made cameo appearances in the other two games as well, which shows that he has not been forgotten. Meaning that he is relevant, important, and popular. Combine that with very high requests to be in SSB4 and it's why I think we're probably getting Isaac over Matthew in SSB4 and I am dismissing Matthew for the moment.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Good point you brought there even if a certain character isn't as relavent as the latest character in the series, it doesn't necessarily mean that the newest character always has priority; like Marth for example during Melee's development
even though Roy was the latest lord Marth still got in regardless even after his original game had been out for quite a while, why did he get in? Because of his iconic reputation with the series, the same could happen with Ray.

The point is that even if the a certain character isn't always relavent; being iconic enough would probably be something that Sakurai would overlook regardless of relavency or not.

Exactly. For example, I'll use Andy; even though Andy's games are past in the series, he is still, as his mild popularity during Brawl's development and even now shows, the most iconic face the Advance Wars series has got, so in the unlikely event we get a Nintendo Wars character, it will probably be Andy.

(BTW, regarding Nintendo Wars, I'm thinking of making a moveset for a generic Commanding Officer to show people that a Nintendo Wars character could have a unique moveset that doesn't rip off Snake.)

Anyways, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on my Adventure Mode design overhaul. It's a couple posts back, specifically post #14448.

D

Deleted member

Tomorrow, I'm going to make a Victini alliance thread over at GameFAQs considering that the movie released earlier today. As such, demands for his inclusion will grow and I want to try to capitalize on that as much as possible.

Until then, good night and I will see you tomorrow.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ogawd. Overrated is a terrible, terrible word to throw around. It's like, yes, Ridley is "overrated", but should that undermine the fact that he's hugely popular and the most deserving character...? Just the moment something gets too popular, y'know? :V

And yes, Survival Mode needs to be in Smash. I made a post about it earlier, maybe I can find it... AlthoughIdoubtmanyneeditexplainedlolol.

[collapse="There we go."]I suggested this pre-Brawl, but I'd like to see a mode similar to all-star mode, BUT WITH A FEW KEY DIFFERENCES. One, it takes place on only one stage, probably Final Destination (or your choosing). It's a 1v1 mode where you face the roster over and over again, but only one character at a time. The order in which you face the whole roster is different each time you play, but while playing it cycles through the same pattern that was generated for that play session (if you manage to get that far!). KNOWING SAKURAI, items would probably appear regardless (wish you could turn them off in single-player), but not healing items. You would receive a Maximum Tomato after defeating... Maybe 3 or 5 characters.

Oh, and there wouldn't be a handicap on. Opponents would play like a normal character. No One-Hit Knockouts!

Most importantly, there is no stop to it. Nothing announcing your score or which character comes next. It's just one character after another. I suppose your next opponent would be loading while fighting your current opponent.

HOPEFULLY THAT MADE SENSE, but I think a mode like that would be a lot of fun, as well as challenging. I think things like that are usually called "Survival mode."[/collapse]

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Alright so could strife should be in the game. He would be perfect he could be an ike clone.

OmegaXXII

^^@above post: Not going to happen, Cloud doesn't have his ties close to Nintendo's as Slime or Geno do, heck not even Geno has a good chance anymore, nonetheless he would be cool, but not an Ike Clone.

I didn't bother reading, and okay I'll have them up eventually. I did really well against others today, the practice I've been doing really pays off.
Dude, that's great, did you do what Kuma and Ill told you?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
But he would be so cool. He has a big *** sowrd and would has a lot of support in the smash community.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Alright so could strife should be in the game. He would be perfect he could be an ike clone.
But he would be so cool. He has a big *** sowrd and would has a lot of support in the smash community.
This my homie and was one of the people at the tourney. I agree with him.

Dude, that's great, did you do what Kuma and Ill told you?
I lost to Hero's peach, P-1's Diddy, and then (LOL) Neo X's Wario (those matches weren't serious though), everyone else I 2-0'd.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
What support? I think most people in the Smash community would actually be annoyed in various degrees to seeing a character as undeserving as Strife over someone who should take a third-party spot such as Megaman, Slime, and Professor Layton.

Besides, I'm pretty sure no one would support adding him as an Ike clone. Few people, if any, support complete clones in the Smash series. Besides, wouldn't Strife be capable of more than being a lazy clone of Ike?

OmegaXXII

Yes! He's cool and all, but his chances of getting into Smash are slim to none, theonly apperance he made was in Chain of Memories, but even then he was just a cameo appearance.

Nobody is saying he isn't cool, it's just that his chances just aren't realistic enough, Square would REALLY have to either beg Sakurai or listen to fans which I highly doubt ATM.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I guess he hasn't gotten home yet.
But I don't know what these guys are talking about when they say cloud is under deserving. He was a character in one of the best games of ALL TIME. And nobody cares about some loser from a puzzle game.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Well damn. You're about to get it now.

I feel a disturbance in the force. (Besides when we got kicked out McDonalds because I let people in after they were closed) *mimics the ghetto fabulous lady at the counter*

D

Deleted member

hichez50 said:
But I don't know what these guys are talking about when they say cloud is under deserving. He was a character in one of the best games of ALL TIME. And nobody cares about some loser from a puzzle game.
That game was PlayStation-exclusive at the time and almost all of the game appearances he's made has been on Sony platforms. Nintendo is not going to get someone who is practically synonymous with Sony's platform in Smash, especially since many people loathe him.

Also, at least Professor Layton would bring something very unique to Smash and represent the puzzle genre, something that lacks a playable character. Granted his chances aren't great, but they're much better then that of Cloud's.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I don't even understand how a 24 hour McDonalds is gonna close but w/e.
Did you forget about snake? He was put into brawl and he was a sony dominated character. I think you are just a layton fan boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom