• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda's personality is that she's a "helpless" maiden in almost all of the games. I can't speak for Twilight Princess because my Wii broke before I completed it. Ridley's already slow to begin with. Face it, he's simply boss material and nothing more.
Err... Can I spoil to you how she is in TP? Even Game and Watch has a more interesting personality than TP Zelda

Really? Okay.

She does not express an emotion in the game. In fact, she appeared only a few
Never mind. She does have a personality. It's just that she does not show it much. Maybe another character like Ice Climbers? They didn't have a personality at first.

Personality isn't much of a criteria. Characters need: Moveset potential (Possibly from scratch), importance to series, interest and popularity

Easy to make

Your wii broke? That sucks. Your missing most of the games :/

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Twilight Princess Zelda really only shows up a few times, so it's hard to really judge her. It isn't like in OoT or WW, where she is around semi-regularly for most of the game.

Yep.

So what does Ridley have? Moveset potential, No chance of cloning, HUGE fan demand, good rep as a villian for Metroid and SSB.

And that is where we stop discussing or else we get over 10 pages of Ridley debate

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Really? Okay.

She does not express an emotion in the game. In fact, she appeared only a few
Never mind. She does have a personality. It's just that she does not show it much. Maybe another character like Ice Climbers? They didn't have a personality at first.

Personality isn't much of a criteria. Characters need: Moveset potential (Possibly from scratch), importance to series, interest and popularity

Easy to make

Your wii broke? That sucks. Your missing most of the games :/
Haha yeah, thanks. And yeah, I do feel like characters need / should be given a personality to really be a part of smash. I can't go through, say, Subspace with a bunch of lifeless, careless, fighters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Haha yeah, thanks. And yeah, I do feel like characters need / should be given a personality to really be a part of smash. I can't go through, say, Subspace with a bunch of lifeless, careless, fighters.
I think I know what you mean by personality. When I think of Ridley in Smash, I figure he would have quick, erratic movements, sort of giving off a "I can't wait to kill this guy" vibe. Y'know, quickly opening and closing his claws and mouth and what not. He always has that sort of grin I suppose. If you mean the other kind of personality, most characters don't go far beyond "generic hero" or "generic villain," lol.

You could start reading this if you'd want to know a bit more about Ridley. As far as I can tell it's canon. Still, he's not much more than a tremendous *******, lolol.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Only from western audiences. Metroid isn't very popular in Japan.
Well, it's POPULAR, just not as popular. To a lesser extent, this is true for Zelda as well- It's popular, sometimes VERY popular, but not as popular as Zelda is in the USA.

On the flipside, some franchises like Kirby, while popular in the USA, are very popular in Japan.

Of course, there are some franchises- Mario and Pokemon- which are very popular most everywhere.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My reasoning against Ridley is not size, but the fact that he's so powerful, has zero personality, and should be a boss at most in the new smash.
Being a villain doesn't mean that you have to be a heavy hitter. I'm pretty sure that Ridley can be adjusted so that his offense is not too strong.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I forgot about that :dizzy:

He still deserves to be in the next smash. At least he has no possibility of being cloned.

I just thought of something:
Link - OoT
Zelda - TP
Ganondorf - TP
Some other Link - WW/SS/OoT

You can call SS Link Toon Link.
I swear I never liked the idea of having TWO Links take up the character roster. I expect it to happen again so I won't mind it as much. But I naturally hope that slot goes to a different character at least.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Being a villain doesn't mean that you have to be a heavy hitter. I'm pretty sure that Ridley can be adjusted so that his offense is not too strong.
My primary beef is the personality issue :\. It also applies to Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and Rob. I dislike their lack of personality outside of smash.

I swear I never liked the idea of having TWO Links take up the character roster. I expect it to happen again so I won't mind it as much. But I naturally hope that slot goes to a different character at least.
I guess they'll keep that up.

Any comments of replacing Toon Link with Skyward Sword Link?
My primary beef is the personality issue :\. It also applies to Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and Rob. I dislike their lack of personality outside of smash.
Hey!

Don't blame ROB for being a controller.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Some games, especially retro games, didn't focus on defining a character's personality. The the trend didn't start soon enough for them, so you really can't blame them.

Besides, I think the Ice Climbers do have a bit of a personality.

They love each other to the point they're almost inseparatable.
They cry when they lose.

At least I think the Ice Climbers (SSB universe included) actually have more personality than Mario's ever shown in his whole career if you ask me.

Mr.Game and Watch... well.. I wouldn't expect a personality out of a mute... sprite... thing. :p

ROB. He's a robot and a NES accessory. :p He shouldn't have one just like I don't expect my NES Zapper to have one. XD

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that the Smash developers would probably keep both an adult Link and a child Link in the next Smash. This appears to be their objective (possibly) in the last two games. It also makes sense as we usually have a transition of adult Links and child Links throughout the Zelda series. Anyways, I have a feeling that Skyward Sword Link would probably be the new design for Adult Link.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I guess they'll keep that up.

Well... Are they replacing both Links with Sky Ward Sword Link that plays like a mix of both?

Otherwise, I don't see the point of having an adult link and a pre-adult link.

If Toon Link gets cut, I expect Young Link to be back, because of OoT. And if Ganondorf doesn't appear in Skyward Sword, I expect OoT Ganondorf to return as well.

Not likely. Skyward Sword Link will more likely replace TP Link.
Umm.... That's not TP Link. That's OoT Link. He's blonde and he has Navi. It's just the moveset that belongs to TP Link.

That is possible. Since SS Link will appear in the Wii. The fact that makes me think that Link will be the same Link is the remake of OoT.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Umm.... That's not TP Link. That's OoT Link. He's blonde and he has Navi. It's just the moveset that belongs to TP Link.

That is possible. Since SS Link will appear in the Wii. The fact that makes me think that Link will be the same Link is the remake of OoT.
Well they'll most likely replace Adult Link with SS Link, and keep Toon Link. That's just how I predict.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I personally love what they did with the Ice Climbers in Smash and they are the perfect example of how retro characters should be brought back. They haven't had a real game since 1985 but they had just enough material to work with to make them into full blown characters while staying true to their nature in the original game.

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say something about Saki fitting in to the cast of SSBB? I hear a few people from GameFAQs saying it so I'm wondering if they know something.
Steam said:
looks like it'll be quite a few years lolol
I don't have a problem with waiting a few years. If fans can wait five years for GT5, Smash fans can wait three to four years (From E3 2011 announcement, not development).
shinhed_echi said:
Well today I got the VC version of SSB 64, and I unlocked everyone in about an hour or less. :p

That game never fails to entertain me. It's like Brawl, except nostalgic. :D
Man that game was really easy once I figured out the key for unlocking stuff. Still was awesome to re-experience that game even if it was outdated. Reminds me of the days on the N64 and is my favorite installment in the series to this date.
Zombiesarecool said:
Who is the new Geno?
Who is the new Ridley?
The new Geno is probably going to be another third-party character. I see some ridiculous requests for Phoenix Wright, so he could be a candidate. At least Geno has fighting move set potential, Phoenix Wright does not.

As for controversial, Toad as it seems quite a few people are against his inclusion, but this isn't a great guess.
Zombiesarecool said:
Ridley was SO controversial in Brawl that the thought of his inclusion made so many smash fans angry to create their own rediculous set of rules such as "He's too big."

Similarly Geno created SUCH a backlash that people had to make "Anti-Geno" fanclubs and created the "Relevancy rule"
The size argument is terrible. Why people continue to use it I will never know. Relevancy is a good thing to keep in mind, but so is importance and popularity. The latter two were why Marth got in, the fact that he didn't appeared in any Fire Emblem game after January, 1994 before Melee did not prevent his inclusion.

Well it doesn't matter which Link it was.

I just think it would be cool to see SS Link in action. He has no possibility of being a clone since he does not have the following:
- Grapple/Hook shot
- Boomerang

He also has new attacks such as sword beam.

Question about Waluigi?
Is Sakurai telling the truth about this?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have but two questions.

Who is the new Geno?
Who is the new Ridley?

this time around.
Too early to tell. The most popular characters for Brawl did not garner a ton of support until after the first Brawl trailer was shown. Before then, there wasn't any alliances and people just spouted out who they wanted in (kind of like now). If terms of who people want, things haven't changed that much so Geno will probably be the new Geno and Ridley will be the new Ridley. :laugh:

My reasoning against Ridley is not size, but the fact that he's so powerful, has zero personality, and should be a boss at most in the new smash.
You should read the Metroid manga (which is offically canon and was referenced in Other M), it will show you the side of Ridley that often doesn't come out in the games. He's basically the most intelligent of all the Nintendo villians and also the most ruthless (for example, burning Samus's parents to death right in front of her).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well it doesn't matter which Link it was.

I just think it would be cool to see SS Link in action. He has no possibility of being a clone since he does not have the following:
- Grapple/Hook shot
- Boomerang

He also has new attacks such as sword beam.

Question about Waluigi?
Is Sakurai telling the truth about this?
I don't usually follow Zelda news, but really? He doesn't have boomerang nor Hookshot?

Knowing Sakurai, he'll want SS Link to have them anyway, so he doesn't screw over Link players.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Too early to tell. The most popular characters for Brawl did not garner a ton of support until after the first Brawl trailer was shown. Before then, there wasn't any alliances and people just spouted out who they wanted in (kind of like now). If terms of who people want, things haven't changed that much so Geno will probably be the new Geno and Ridley will be the new Ridley. :laugh:

You should read the Metroid manga (which is offically canon and was referenced in Other M), it will show you the side of Ridley that often doesn't come out in the games. He's basically the most intelligent of all the Nintendo villians and also the most ruthless (for example, burning Samus's parents to death right in front of her).
No interested in reading manga. I don't particularly like manga or anime, pardon my whiteness.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
No interested in reading manga. I don't particularly like manga or anime, pardon my whiteness.
Still it's a very interesting read for Metroid fans. It makes the first four games make so much sense.

It explains the real purpose of the Metroids, Samus' background and her relation to Ridley. How she decided to go on her own, etc.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Still it's a very interesting read for Metroid fans. It makes the first four games make so much sense.

It explains the real purpose of the Metroids, Samus' background and her relation to Ridley. How she decided to go on her own, etc.
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm sticking to my guns about Ridley's lack of personality and should remain a boss in SSB4.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm sticking to my guns about Ridley's lack of personality and should remain a boss in SSB4.
Alright. Whatever rows your boat I guess. :D

---

I was thinking for a Sin and Punishment stage. I can say my favorite areas in the game are:

1.- Top of the skyscraper (level 2)
2.- The floating platform above the Naval forces.

The second in particular has got to be one of the most epic sceneries I've ever seen. But I think it'd look like Final Destination too much... Or they could do the Delfino Plaza way, as the platform lands on various ships, or airships. :p

Pieman0920

Smash Master
You don't want him in because you think he doesn't have a personality, but don't want to look up the story which shows his personality? Oh well, I understand. Its a different medium. But still, a lot of characters don't really have personality.

....Okay.

...Like I was saying, there are a lot of Smash characters without any real personality, such as the majority of the silent protagonists. And what personalities they do have don't really shine through that often. Bowser has a personality beyond being a dragon-turtle monster, but that's what shows up in Smash. I'm not going to knock the series for that though, because its a fighter, and personality means diddly squat. :psycho:

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace

You don't want him in because you think he doesn't have a personality, but don't want to look up the story which shows his personality?

Oh well, I understand. Its a different medium. But still, a lot of characters don't really have personality. Like the majority of the silent protagonists. And what personalities they do have don't really shine through that often. Bowser has a personality beyond being a dragon-turtle monster, but that's what shows up in Smash. I'm not going to knock the series for that though, because its a fighter, and personality means diddly squat. :psycho:
Mute character =/= lack of personality. Look at Samus, Peach, Link, Pikachu (for the most part he's mute). I feel their personalities play a major role in Smash, regarding moves, animations, and general aesthetics. It makes the game characters feel more life like. Personality means a lot in any game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Then I'll save you the trouble of reading it by simply informing you of the part that most exemplifies Ridley.

The first time Ridley and Samus meet is when he leads a raid on her home colony. Samus attempt to befriend him, and he answers by killing her mother right in front of her. Stuff happens, big explosion kills everything, blah blah blah. Next time they meet, Ridley taunts Samus by telling her he ate her parents to heal his body and points to different parts of his body, sarcastically wondering aloud where her mother's cells were incorporated into his body. He then stomps on Samus, telling her "AT LEAST PAY YOUR RESPECTS!"

Kind of a douche.

Not necessarily directed at you, but people should realize Ridley is truly a character in Metroid, and not just another boss. :p

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Mute character =/= lack of personality. Look at Samus, Peach, Link, Pikachu (for the most part he's mute). I feel their personalities play a major role in Smash, regarding moves, animations, and general aesthetics. It makes the game characters feel more life like. Personality means a lot in any game.
And Ridley is just a mute character. His personality is that he is cruel and vindictive. His moves would display this. I honestly don't see what your problem is.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I can stick my fingers in my ears and go 'lalalalala' and claim things didn't happen too. Doesn't make it not happen.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
And Ridley is just a mute character. His personality is that he is cruel and vindictive. His moves would display this. I honestly don't see what your problem is.
His personality, as displayed in the games, is simply a boss. He is simply an alien life form on another planet that samus tends to encounter. I didn't know it was illegal to have an opposing opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom