• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The more involved the better. Is it coincidence the worst game in the series is the one Hal had the least involvement in? Maybe. Doubt it though.

:phone:
Seriously.

I think in general, SSB4 has a really good chance of reviving the franchises former glory. While I don't consider Brawl bad by any means, I don't really consider it great. Unlike Melee and 64. These are a few reasons why I think this game could end up reviving my love for the series.

Nintendo seems to be listening to feedback
At E3 this year, they admitted that the Wii faile din reaching the "hardcore" community, so they came up with their clever "deeper and wider" slogan. Heck, even Miyomoto seems to be on board with this idea. He said something along the lines of "We are planning more casual titles, but right now we are focusing on the hardcore ones" or something like that. They've shown us a decent amount of games that are oriented towards gamers like us. They also realized that HD was needed, and so was better online play. These are all good signs.

Sakurai is looking for help
This is a good thing. The more hands on other people can get with this game, the more likely it can be balanced. On top of this, we can only hope that Nintendo pushes the "Deeper and Wider" slogan on Sakurai, and keeps him from going all the way casual. Or even better, reverts him back to Melee-esk type of gameplay. So long as Nintendo has this new policy in place, and Sakurai is "tired" and willing to have help on the project, we have a better chance at a better game. Plus, I think Star is right on the money with the whole HAL thing.

More New Fanchises to look into
Xenoblade, and Takamaru aren't the only new games that are being released, I believe the amount of new comers with promise is a lot higher than it was with brawl, which gives everyone hope.

The only con I have is this weird Wii U / 3DS deal. It seems very gimmicky, and not at all what I originally intended or expected. From what of a lot of fellow posters are saying, the game seems to be leaning more towards a "Same Roster, Same stages, Same Music" type of situation, with one big weird "customizable" gimmick. This is very discouraging to me.

D

Deleted member

The more involved the better. Is it coincidence the worst game in the series is the one Hal had the least involvement in? Maybe. Doubt it though.

:phone:
Eh, I can't really decide if the original or Brawl is the worst, but they're still 9/10 titles IMO. Melee was near perfect, thought and I'd like to see that quality back.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
From what of a lot of fellow posters are saying, the game seems to be leaning more towards a "Same Roster, Same stages, Same Music" type of situation, with one big weird "customizable" gimmick. This is very discouraging to me.
That is exactly why I threaten not to buy the game if the 3DS and Wii-U version are the exact same in characters, stages, and music. Only the 3DS version should be limited in multi-player aspects, not the Wii-U version. And beside, if Nintendo loves money so much, they probably wouldn't be going through this as it will make them the least amount of money. I'm hoping that what ChronoBound brought up is wrong because I want both versions to be the best they can without limiting the main goals the 3DS and Wii-U version has.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Picking what SSB is the best and what is the worst is like asking whether you want the million dollars in check or cash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Picking what SSB is the best and what is the worst is like asking whether you want the million dollars in check or cash.
Speak for yourself. It's more like picking between gold, silver, and diamonds. All are fantastic but some are a lot more valuable than the others.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

I wish that they would put in Shadow at least. He would still be similiar to Sonic but different.
Why do you think we need a second Sonic rep? Nintendo characters should go before third-party characters and third-party characters should be the only one to rep their series.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I wish that they would put in Shadow at least. He would still be similiar to Sonic but different.
I think Tails is far more likely. Shadow could be in the game as a color swap really. Tails has been in the series since Sonic 2. Shadows new gen, and a lot of Sonic fans dislike him. Tails, while annoying at times, is a well-known and well-liked character.

As far as I'm concerned... Priority wise is;

Tails
Dr. Robotnik/Knuckles/Shadow
Amy

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Trophy Stand idea
New idea: remember the Trophy Stand that you used in Subspace? What if they made that a multiplayer item and allowed you to use it on opponents? The way I'm imagining it, you throw it at your foe, and they become a trophy. Unable to move or do anything whatsoever, you can now pick your enemy up like an item and throw them off the stage. You need to act fast though, because even though your opponent is trophified, the will eventually re-awaken.

Some things to keep in mind about this:
-Once the opponent is turned into a trophy, they'll remain as such for a few seconds (I'm thinking 10 at the moment). The player's damage increases the time, like the effects of other items (freezie, pitfall, etc).
-Trophied opponents cant take damage. When a character is a trophy, they're basically dense statues and according to Sakurai, dead in a sense. Trophified players will still have that KO explosion that all characters have when kiled.
-The player can't move, although they can be moved by other players. This is a near-guarantee KO item; moreso than the hammers but less effective than Dragoon.
-Trophy victims are heavier than their normal form, so walking to the edge and throwing them off won't be too easy. Its the same as carrying a crate or barrel. I'm wondering whether the victim's weight wiill vary depending on who they are (Bowser being EXTREMELY heavy) or simply have all the weights be equal. I'm leaning towards equal.

Remember, the idea is to turn a player into an item so you can throw them off the stage. Its a way to quickly get rid of someone. Opinions?

@BirthNote: This would be a good idea, but it should be even rarer then the Dragoon and all characters under this condition should be slightly heavier then Bowser.
I agree with this. I haven't considered its frequency before but rarity seems like a good idea. I also agree with it being slightly heavier than Bowser.

The item sounds insanely cheap. That's my only problem with it. I really didn't like the trophy stand idea in brawl.
True, but I've thought of a solution: since the home-run bat takes a lot of frames, perhaps they can include that throw animation that was seen in Brawl. They can avoid the risk of catching victims effortlessly, and the trophy-victim's heaviness can prevent them from being carried to the edge and tossed off the stage quickly. Also, making this item rare can combat its obvious cheapness. XD

I'm not suggesting that it should have too many hindering features for the user. If it did, then people would be much better off not using it. Therefore, I envision this item having enough things to keep the victim "safe", but not too much for the item to be unusable.
Edit: The Trophy Stand should only be an Adventure Mode exclusive item. Don't drag it into multiplayer matches.
I don't see why it should stay like that and why they shouldn't bring it to multiplayer. The stand gives the oppurtunity to have a unique idea for a never-before used trap item. Besides, if the stand doesn't appear this way, its possible that a new item with a similar function would.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well I think No new Sonic/Snake characters is most likely. And that's how it should and most likely will be. This isn't Super Smash Bros Video Games biggest all stars. It's Super Smash Bros Nintendo's Biggest All Stars. Sonic and Snake are 100% guests.

And we all know how rude it is to bring a guest to an All Star event uninvited.

. . . sooo rude. .

D

Deleted member

Well I think No new Sonic/Snake characters is most likely. And that's how it should and most likely will be. This isn't Super Smash Bros Video Games biggest all stars. It's Super Smash Bros Nintendo's Biggest All Stars. Sonic and Snake are 100% guests.

. . . sooo rude. .
You have won the Sonic discussion. People won't accept the fact that a second Sonic rep is very low at best.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd say we can't finalize a trend in one game. Before the Snake reveal people said Third-Parties were never allowed, now people are saying one per franchise. Where are these arbitrary rules coming from? We won't know until SSB4 is released, then we can begin to think about trends.

Tails has a WAY better chance than, say, Megaman. Simply because the Intellectual Property of the Sonic the Hedgehog series has been granted for use in Super Smash Bros. While it's not a blank cheque to include anyone, it definitely makes it easier for Sakurai to say, 'Wow, people really liked Sonic in the Game, let's see if we can put Tails in too.' Rather than enter into contract talks with Capcom to include their mascot.

TBone06

Smash Ace

. . . sooo rude. .
SOOOOOOOO true. That's the best anyone's ever put it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd say we can't finalize a trend in one game. Before the Snake reveal people said Third-Parties were never allowed, now people are saying one per franchise. Where are these arbitrary rules coming from? We won't know until SSB4 is released, then we can begin to think about trends.

Tails has a WAY better chance than, say, Megaman. Simply because the Intellectual Property of the Sonic the Hedgehog series has been granted for use in Super Smash Bros. While it's not a blank cheque to include anyone, it definitely makes it easier for Sakurai to say, 'Wow, people really liked Sonic in the Game, let's see if we can put Tails in too.' Rather than enter into contract talks with Capcom to include their mascot.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to take the easy(tails) way out and how good things(Megaman) come to those who work hard?

D

Deleted member

Are you kidding me? First off, we understand that "one per franchise" is not a rule, but it's a good way to say that Nintendo probably won't overrep a third-party franchise. Secondly, Tails's chances are much, much lower then Mega Man's. Lots of people are against more then one characters per franchise but very few people aside from those who don't want third-party characters are against Mega Man's inclusion since it's the only likely one we have. Tails is a nice character and all, but for now, the best he deserves is a place as one of the Assist Trophies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Are you kidding me? First off, we understand that "one per franchise" is not a rule, but it's a good way to say that Nintendo probably won't overrep a third-party franchise. Secondly, Tails's chances are much, much lower then Mega Man's. Lots of people are against more then one characters per franchise but very few people aside from those who don't want third-party characters are against Mega Man's inclusion since it's the only likely one we have. Tails is a nice character and all, but for now, the best he deserves is a place as one of the Assist Trophies.
May I quickly add

Infune's quote:

Well, I really do love Super Smash Brothers. It's a great series...but, Nintendo hasn't asked me yet if they can use Mega Man in their game. I'm still waiting...we have a little bit of time left, it's not coming out for another few months. They might get around to asking us if we'd like to put Mega Man in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe if somebody from Nintendo is listening to this podcast, they'll give me a call
It seems he is MORE than willing to let Megs in. IN-fact, he LOVES SSB.

majora_787

Smash Hero
3rd parties are like guests. Guests don't make their own guest list and bring everyone they know, they show up alone. It makes them more special, and less of holes in the arse.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
3rd parties are like guests. Guests don't make their own guest list and bring everyone they know, they show up alone. It makes them more special, and less of holes in the arse.
Already made the analogy ;)

Where have you been? I haven't seen you in SPYDR'S discussion group?

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
It seems he is MORE than willing to let Megs in. IN-fact, he LOVES SSB.
There are many things supporting Mega Man's inclusion, but this is not one of them. Infanue doesn't work at Capcom anymore.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd love Megaman in Brawl, my point was it's more likely because the lines of communication were already open in terms of letting Tails or someone else in. These are huge franchise characters, legality is important.

'sides, Tails always tends to tag along with Sonic anyways, no matter what the Blue Blur says XD

majora_787

Smash Hero
Already made the analogy ;)
I like my analogy better. xD But seriously. Sonic and Snake were invited to a party, and Snake asked for the invitation to begin with. Everyone WANTED sonic at the party, so of course...

OF COURSE they'll probably come back again for the same reason. But they won't bring friends. Because you just don't make your own guest list for someone else's party. =P

EDIT: If Nintendo wants Tails and Gray Fox to come along next time? That's their choice. But I don't see it happening. Then 3rd parties aren't special anymore. At all.

Adding sonic is inviting guests in through the front door, and adding Tails, Knuckles and Shadow is inviting guests in through the garage. r_r KIC, folks.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, if that quote doesn't matter, I would say that his popularity is the only thing supporting him. (Which is all he needs really) At least I know Suda's quote still matters.

When did he leave capcom?

D

Deleted member

That's what I was trying to say to Barbasol.
Barbasol said:
I'd love Megaman in Brawl, my point was it's more likely because the lines of communication were already open in terms of letting Tails or someone else in. These are huge franchise characters, legality is important.

'sides, Tails always tends to tag along with Sonic anyways, no matter what the Blue Blur says XD
Nintendo isn't just going to put in Sonic rep just because Sega asks them to. More people want Mega Man and as such, if a new third-party character gets in, it's going to be him. I highly doubt Nintendo wants to give Sega even more money then they already do.

@Shortiecanbrawl: There's also the fact that he has move set potentials and that he has a long history with Nintendo. Also, Infanue left last year.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I think I read Megaman was the most requested third party. Sonic was of course first. Noone was asking for Snake XD. But yeah, Megaman's uber popular. Given his history with NES it's well deserved.

Nintendo isn't just going to put in Sonic rep just because Sega asks them to. More people want Mega Man and as such, if a new third-party character gets in, it's going to be him. I highly doubt Nintendo wants to give Sega even more money then they already do.
Never said SEGA would be the ones asking. A lot of people want another Sonic rep too.

D

Deleted member

I think I read Megaman was the most requested third party. Sonic was of course first. Noone was asking for Snake XD. But yeah, Megaman's uber popular. Given his history with NES it's well deserved.

Never said SEGA would be the ones asking. A lot of people want another Sonic rep too.
But more people want Mega Man in than a Sonic rep. That's what you need to understand and that's why Mega Man will probably get in as the third third-party character.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

Barbasol

Smash Ace
But more people want Mega Man in than a Sonic rep. That's what you need to understand and that's why Mega Man will probably get in first.
I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree of it along simply popularity terms. There's more to it than that.

D

Deleted member

@Barbasol: What's more to it? If you mean these things:
- Good company relationship
- Potential for unique move sets
- Games coming out on Nintendo platforms

Then Mega Man has all that. He'll also continue the tradition of third-party characters being special instead of just being thrown in.

What's with all the 3rd party non-sense?

Only Mega Man Classic will get in so face it, Supporters of adding Sonic reps. I wonder what's next. Call of Duty, EA sports? Lol
I'm not saying for SSB4, I'm talking about a new Megaman X game. Seriously, there's been so much of Zero lately, where's X?
I don't know why Zero has been shown a lot
Mega Man X doesn't have nearly as good of a history with Nintendo as does the classic version. I wouldn't count on him coming, even thought he would be great as well.

@Barbasol: What's more to it? If you mean these things:
- Good company relationship
- Potential for unique move sets
- Games coming out on Nintendo platforms

Then Mega Man has all that. He'll also continue the tradition of third-party characters being special instead of just being thrown in.
You forgot that he's popular in the nintendo consoles and outside too.

D

Deleted member

berserker01 said:
You forgot that he's popular in the nintendo consoles and outside too.
Obviously I know that, but I thought I've already stated it to Barbasol. Or are you saying something entirely?

And yes, someone back a few days ago actually suggested Call of Duty and earlier today, someone mentioned the possibility of EA rep. :sick:

swift9

Smash Rookie
But more people want Mega Man in than a Sonic rep. That's what you need to understand and that's why Mega Man will probably get in as the third third-party character.
No!!! Many people taught Sonic and Tails were in melee that is why some of them brought the game. Tails is more wanted than megaman. Honestly I would want Megaman in the game more than Tails. I love Megaman

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I don't know why Zero has been shown a lot
Because of Infaune.

If you don't the backstory already, it's been said that Zero was originally supposed to be X (i.e he was supposed to be the main character in Megaman X.) However Capcom decided that Zero didn't look anything like classic Megaman, and so they forced Infaune to create the X we all know now. Heee.... um, kinda resented that, so he kept Zero and pretty much revolved all of the X's series story around him (first noticeable in X2, worse offender in X4). Later he literally tried to kill X off (in the Zero series (you can see where this is going already) Copy X was meant to be the real X gone mad, was changed to a copy in order to avoid fan backlash) and started giving Zero the main role. Even in the ZX series, the main model is based off Zero and X's model is completely overwritten in your first playthrough.

But now that he's gone, maybe some other developer will give X some time to shine again.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Aight, we've been discussing, and here's some points to make here...

Megaman v. Tails

Capcom Does Not Back Nintendo

Capcom has released 14 titles for the Wii. As well as 3 Wiiware, two of which are Megaman 9 and Megaman 10. Both Megaman 9 and 10 were released for 360 and PS3.

Meanwhile, Capcom made 32 titles for the Playstation 3. Including Mega Man Universe (cancelled) which was not planned for Wii release.

And 35+ Titles for the Xbox 360

Just for scale here... Capcom had released 33+ titles for the Sega Dreamcast which had a lifetime of about three years. Capcom and Nintendo do not have any sort of special relationship.

Breakdown Capcom Titles per system
------------------------------------------
Nintendo- 17+
Microsoft- 33+
Sony- 32+

SEGA DOES back Nintendo, especially with their Sonic Franchise

Sonic Colours - Wii
Sonic Colors - DS
Sonic & the Secret Rings - Wii
Sonic & the Black Knight - Wii
Sonic Riders; Zero Gravity - Wii
Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing - Wii
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - Wii
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - DS
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - Wii
Sonic Classic Collection - DS
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - WiiWare
Sonic Rush Adventure- DS

So, just for scale here... there are 12 Sonic titles for this past generation alone for Wii/DS.

Hope that gave some clarification to your support claims.

D

Deleted member

@Barbasol: That would be all nice and dandy, except that you could say the same about Konami. And look, Snake is in Brawl and will probably be returning. Whereas there has been rumors about us getting Capcom characters in Smash, no such rumors have been made about a second Sonic rep. Granted, Kojima did have to ask Nintendo to get Snake in the game but Capcom also has interest in Super Smash Bros. The demands are huge for Mega Man and more people want one rep for Konami, Sega, and Capcom then reps for Konami and two for Sega. More variety = more satisfied fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom