• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
In my opinion, the original N64 Super Smash Bros. had by far the best roster. Not a single questionable choice in that roster.

But between Melee and Brawl, I would say Brawl had a worse roster, although by no means do I think it's bad; it's just not as good, IMO.

It would be a miracle if SSB4 turned out like SSB64 did, with no clones whatsover, even if we got luigified characters with different attack properties and balances I would just fine, just no Melee like clone.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Genesect is cool, but as stated has no chance until he is revealed and that's 3 movies away.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Meh. There are different ways to play the game and therefore different opinions on how to make the next smash game. I take a competitive stance to the game, but I enjoy the partyness it has to it as well.

That's partially why I have grown to enjoy melee more than the other smash games. If you honestly want to turn it competitive you have the ability too. Add in l-canceling and other techs. and you speed the game up to what people like. Otherwise, you don't have to bother with that and you have a nice game anyone can enjoy. Brawl sort of took away that multi-level appeal to different ways to enjoy the game. So I hope Smash4 is a better retake of melee and brawl combined.
Melee is still my favorite. I like the faster gameplay, and I am trying to pick up on advanced concepts (I have l-canceling down, working on wavedashing now). Melee is all I played when I was younger, my wii is broken (so no brawl) and I've never even played SSB64. Brawl was too casual, way too casual. I understand no wavedashing (it was a glitch) but they should bring back dash dancing, l canceling, etc. Also **** TRIPPING. I hope SSB4 is a mix of melee and brawl, but more in melee's favor.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I officially claim that SSB4 will be called...Super Smash Bros....wait for it...TUSSLE!

Same here although...

Why add L-cancelling? Can't you just like reduce the number of frames so you don't have to L - cancel?
Brawl actually does that. Most moves in this game auto-cancel after the attack animation. Some moves however do not auto-cancel at all.

But, I think the idea to separate people by skill levels is rather interesting. If all characters are inherently good, what is there to work at with the game? Adding mechanics like l-canceling gives you stuff to practice and makes the game interesting.

Melee is still my favorite. I like the faster gameplay, and I am trying to pick up on advanced concepts (I have l-canceling down, working on wavedashing now). Melee is all I played when I was younger, my wii is broken (so no brawl) and I've never even played SSB64. Brawl was too casual, way too casual. I understand no wavedashing (it was a glitch) but they should bring back dash dancing, l canceling, etc. Also **** TRIPPING. I hope SSB4 is a mix of melee and brawl, but more in melee's favor.
Ahem.

I am a competitive player but I want it to be a mix of melee and brawl equally or slightly more in melee or brawl's favor. Yeah, I care about the casual crowd :I

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is my little brother's roster. I made the image because I was bored and I'm nice like that. Please excuse the various transparency and other issues. It was a huge mess I couldn't fix. Also I was going to add a lot more and make it look more polished but originally it was just eye-candy for my little brother.

I'll say it again: THIS IS MY LITTLE BROTHER'S ROSTER, NOT MINE.
I must say that your brother has a bad taste with characters. For one example, Goku is a 4th party character, which will never make the cut.

Brawl actually does that. Most moves in this game auto-cancel after the attack animation. Some moves however do not auto-cancel at all.

But, I think the idea to separate people by skill levels is rather interesting. If all characters are inherently good, what is there to work at with the game? Adding mechanics like l-canceling gives you stuff to practice and makes the game interesting.
I see where you're getting at. You're still the same guy I know and understand :awesome:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Most people don't realize that there will be two games so there has to be two names for SSB4.

I like SSB Royal for the Wii U (Which mean all out battle with everyone)
And SSB Duel for the 3DS (play off the word Dual)

Yes!! SSB4 should be based more on Melee, meh..rather both Brawl and Melee combined, somewhat like Project M.
I'm just not sure which mechanics are best. Melee is quick, but often at times too quick. Brawl is slow which can be good for extra time to think before you act. So maybe something a bit faster. Again, I think the l-canceling idea is a great idea to keep. Being able to grab the ledge backwards is weird, but certainly should be kept from brawl.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I want Melee's fast ground game, but also want Brawl's aerial gameplay as well.

Having both mixed would be nice. Although if I had to choose I'd go with Brawl, but thats just me.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Genesect is cool, but as stated has no chance until he is revealed and that's 3 movies away.
He's basically an evil version of Mewtwo. Which is pretty damn cool. Team Plasma put that cool cannon on his back. But yeah, him and Meoletta as of right now, don't stand a chance. But the roster probably won't be finalized for a year or two, so by 2013 I'm sure they'll both be out.

The slow gameplay doesn't fit this guy. I want faster paced gameplay. Combos are one of the few things I'm actually good at in Melee/64.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, Tussle was a joke. I'd like Clash or Strife personally.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally I want Melee's fast ground game, but also want Brawl's aerial gameplay as well.

Having both mixed would be nice. Although if I had to choose I'd go with Brawl, but thats just me.
Personally, I find it better if the game speed is slowed down.

Sabyr

Smash Cadet
Most people don't realize that there will be two games so there has to be two names for SSB4.

I like SSB Royal for the Wii U (Which mean all out battle with everyone)
And SSB Duel for the 3DS (play off the word Dual)
And this is very true. Didn't think at all about that...

I'm very much digging Duel for the 3DS version. That's just awesome.:awesome:

I'm just not sure which mechanics are best. Melee is quick, but often at times too quick. Brawl is slow which can be good for extra time to think before you act. So maybe something a bit faster. Again, I think the l-canceling idea is a great idea to keep. Being able to grab the ledge backwards is weird, but certainly should be kept from brawl.
Melee relied on technical skill and advanced techniques.

Brawl required more precision and punishment.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Super Smash Bros. Fracas (WiiU)
Super Smash Bros. Tiff (3DS)

Or Scuffle for 3DS since that's just adorable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What annoys me more is when people always suggest Naruto...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally, I find it better if the game speed is slowed down.
That's why I'd choose Brawl over Melee. I'm not a very fast player. :embarrass:

Although the one thing we can all agree on happening is that tripping should be removed. :glare:

Melee relied on technical skill and advanced techniques.

Brawl required more precision and punishment.
You'll have to explain those two to me because melee is no different from those. Melee was extremely punishment oriented. If you miss an attack, Falco can put you in a shine -> spike combo for like the first 50% of your life and then have Dair -> shine -> bair combo for pretty much your whole stock for every punish he gets. Marth can get you offstage then make you take a very high percent of damage trying to recover. The same thing with precision too. Wavedashing or miss spacing your attack or not shield tilting to poking could all lead to combo punishers.

In one sentence, "Melee is **** or get *****."

Dang it, I got off on a tangent again -_-

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That's why I'd choose Brawl over Melee. I'm not a very fast player. :embarrass:

Although the one thing we can all agree on happening is that tripping should be removed. :glare:
Actually I prefer Melee since it's fast paced, plus I ended up playing Melee in-depth the most, Brawl is good in it's own way but tripping is what killed it IMO.

The lack of L-Cancelling, wave shining and such also made me lean towards Melee, SSB4 just better get rid of tripping though, at least a switch of some sort should be implemented.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Beats me. I may watch the anime, but I know for a fact that he won't make the cut, since he's 4th party.
Me too, although I primarily just read the manga chapters in from Japan every week. The anime's too slow and is full of fillers. By now it's longer then the Dragon Ball series.

It does bug me though that everyone on many other sites are after 4th party characters though. One of the reasons I'm glad this site isn't like that, except for Chris. lol

You'll have to explain those two to me because melee is no different from those. Melee was extremely punishment oriented. If you miss an attack, Falco can put you in a shine -> spike combo for like the first 50% of your life and then have Dair -> shine -> bair combo for pretty much your whole stock for every punish he gets. Marth can get you offstage then make you take a very high percent of damage trying to recover. The same thing with precision too. Wavedashing or miss spacing your attack or not shield tilting to poking could all lead to combo punishers.

Dang it, I got off on a tangent again -_-
Do I still need to explain it?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Which is how it should be. Honestly, I think another special and another standard button would make the game that much better. I feel like some characters are just delt poor specials, and since they only have four, they're kinda screwed. This way, we have eight specials, and a lot more standard attacks to combo with.

One of the reasons I'm glad this site isn't like that, except for Chris. lol
It's because we punish those who even begin to form the word Goku, Luffy, Bleachman, or Naruto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom