• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yoo! Sorry if I've been pretty long time gone. School's been keepin' me busy so much that even Poppy Bro's catching up with the post counts as I can see. /Though I don't think I care about post counts, guuh/

Lately though I've been getting back on playing more GCN classics... played games like Melee, Wind Waker and F-Zero GX. Maan, GX is still better than most of the good looking Wii's racing games. The scenery's just so astounding that I keep looking into it more than racing.

And Melee... I must admit, Peach's SO. GOOD. She's so fit to me with her pretty combo oriented gameplay and is so lethal in both Melee AND Brawl. I'm quite glad she was too changed aside from pretty dumbed Down Smash and the double jump.

Also gotta get back clearing GS. I'm missing my Garebee.

But seems like it's super calm and silent now before E3... (-lAl-); Maybe because we really are out of stuff to speculate about SSB4. Just WISH we get some new information.

EDIT: For some reason, when I readed some new posts from Chrono, he doesn't sound as formal as before... ya know, like speaking Fire Emblem-like formal style. (-l<>l-)
I can't help it, I just do have my own visions on each fella like that, relating them to something I know that makes them recognisable.
Sorry if that throws you off a bit guys- (-ñvñ-);;

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@Horsetail: Yeah, Melee Peach is really good, at least in my experience. I don't play as Peach as often because of her dumbed-down double jump.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Peach was one of those characters that I can never seem to "master" in ether Melee or Brawl. Maybe it's because I don't like the style of her gameplay, or maybe because I don't want to play as a pretty princess. But I will say that she should be somewhat buffed in the next game. Maybe not as good as Melee, but better then Brawl. Mostly to fix the gimped jump mechanics from Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I have been playing Punch-Out Wii for a while recently (took a hiatus that I just now got back to), and I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but Little Mac definitely needs a boxing glove on rope tether recovery, courtesy of Aran Ryan.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have been playing Punch-Out Wii for a while recently (took a hiatus that I just now got back to), and I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but Little Mac definitely needs a boxing glove on rope tether recovery, courtesy of Aran Ryan.
His up special will probably be his Star Punch. It's his signature move.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It´s curious how some people can support pacman instead of Bowser Jr...

D

Deleted member

His up special will probably be his Star Punch. It's his signature move.
And why can't it be his Neutral Special? It's not like it can only be a rising uppercut. It's usually a powerful jab except when Level 3.
As a Neutral Special is also offers a unique trait for Mac involving charging of Stars.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I have a doubt about Little Mac:

He must be light,because of his size,or he must be heavy,because of his muscles?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Peach is a friggen beast in Melee. She used to be my 3rd best character for like 4 years, until Armada owned the Peach scene. I realized I wasn't meant to play Peach.

Also, I am so happy my finals are over. Now I can finally play some Project M, Melee, Skyrim, Fallout, Total War, Counter-Strike, Sonic, Metal Gear Solid, and Team Fortress 2. :)
John.

Remember p2w

That is all

Smooth Criminal
Smooth. (if your name was "Sam Criminal" I would be tempted to say "Sam" in a lover's voice like this) :laugh:

I was there like 2 months ago, lulz.

Johnknight1

D

Deleted member

Little Mac actually isn't that little. He's supposed to be "Little" compared to his opponents, who are typically huge.
Mac is 5 feet tall in the Wii game, which is taller than Lucario. (Actually, since Mac used to be 4 feet in the NES game, he'd STILL be taller than Lucario, who's only 3 feet.)
Mac may be only 107 lbs, but that's only 12 lbs less than Lucario, so he'd logically be around Lucario's weight or just slightly lighter. On the other hand, due to "realism" like Snake, Mac would probably fall a lot faster.

EDIT: Though logical size be damned, being that Wario is almost as tall as Luigi, yet is Mario's height in Brawl...-_-

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
@Lukin:then make him normal maybe.
I WAS INB4FALCHION

That "Nintendo3DS" youtube guy said there was a 3DS SC5 rumor.
I hope it's true,they may bring back link or a fire emblem character.
Or even pit,or sword kirby/meta knight would be overlulz

0 guest?
CONSPIRACY

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lucario should be a lot lighter in smash IMHO. Of course, he should also be quicker, and a combo God.

Mewtwo should be a God-like figure with a ton of weight, great recovery, has a good grab, has (many) great ranged attacks, and have loads of power.

However, Mewtwo wouldn't be able to get too many easy kills, has below average speed, has very few combos, and can be easily stopped at close-range combat.

That sounds like an awesome way to build Mewtwo to me.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Side note: Personally, I am tired of all the heavyweight characters being slow, having poor/easy to stop recovery, minimal quick attacks, and on the flip side can get many early kills (with their power or gimping ability), they have loads of power attacks, and they often have more range. Smash ought to mix it up more with heavyweights.

Although I must admit to an extent this was done with Donkey Kong, King Dedede, Wario, and Snake in Brawl break that mold. However, Snake is just flat out good at everything, which I don't like. King Dedede has too many chain grabs and is "meah" after that, but at least the basis of his design is right. Wario is a tad predictable after a while, and although I prefer his Project M Wario Land moveset (Land > Ware; it's not even a question, it's a FACT!), he was pretty well done (although a few of his "quick" and "weak" attacks come out too slow). Donkey Kong in Brawl is well executed.

My hands down favorite heavyweight is still Ganondorf in Melee (who is one of my secondary characters), even if he is overrated by quite a bit of the smash community (he isn't better than Samus, sorry). He's the typical "heavyweight" but with all kinds of quick moves and some deceptive speed. I like that. It's pretty sweet. Another well done heavyweight: Samus in Melee. She's a great character in Melee, and has got all kinds of great tools (although a few worthless moves).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Side note: Personally, I am tired of all the heavyweight characters being slow, having poor/easy to stop recovery, minimal quick attacks, and on the flip side can get many early kills (with their power or gimping ability), they have loads of power attacks, and they often have more range. Smash ought to mix it up more with heavyweights.
Yoshi is heavyweight and has a great recovery.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yoshi's recovery is trash. You hit Yoshi once in the air, it has no recovery but it's up B (in Brawl) and air dodge (in Melee and Brawl).

If Yoshi had a third jump, had a few more power moves, and a few more viable quick moves, this wouldn't be a problem.

Really, Yoshi lacks concrete and reliable strengths in each smash game thus far.

Edit: Random, but needed: Either Captain Falcon or Ganondorf should get Captain Falcon's Smash 64 forward smash. I freaking love that move! DAT KICK IS SOOO SICK!!! :cool:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
In brawl his recovery is very useful,is not very much delayed and works,and is not that easy to hit Yoshi once in the air when he is recovering.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Okay, here is what is wrong with Yoshi's recovery:
1. Yoshi's recovery doesn't go far (as in wide, like left to right).
2. Yoshi's recovery doesn't go very high (as in height, like up and down; mostly up though, because who recovers downward=???). :laugh:
3. Yoshi's recover is easy to predict.
4. Yoshi's up B doesn't make Yoshi go up much.
5. Yoshi's up B doesn't take away much of the approach, especially with Brawl's floaty physics.
6. Yoshi is easy to shoot with a projectile while in air. And if Yoshi air dodges in Brawl, you follow it up with either another projectile or a melee attack.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
1. Yoshi has the best horizontal air speed.
2. Yoshi has the highest 2nd jump
3. Yea this is true. It's probably the biggest weakness of recovery.

The rest are true too.

The biggest problem is predictablility because yoshi has so few options and all of them are painfully obvious.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. Yoshi may have the best horizontal air speed, but it is still not that hard to stop, especially since Brawl isn't exactly a "fast" game. Heck, even in Melee it isn't hard to stop.
2. Yoshi may have the the highest 2nd jump (and arguably the best 2nd jump in the game), but he is the only character without a 3rd jump. That ultimately, in a way, turns this "advantage" into a "weakness." If Yoshi had a 3rd jump, Yoshi's great second jump would be a huge strength for Yoshi.

Continuing off of your last point (which I agree with and my own last point(s), literally in any given smash bros. game when Yoshi is trying to recover back to the stage from even a medium distance, I can choose a character with a good long-range attack (personally I would choose Mario in Smash 64, Falco in Melee, and Toon Link in Brawl), and just keep hitting Yoshi in mid air to either stop Yoshi from recovering then, or setup a combo/follow up attack on the stage if Yoshi some reaches it.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Really, Yoshi's recovery only did poorly in Smash 64. You know, because his Up Special didn't boost him a little and he could only do it once. Otherwise, it's fine IMO.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
In Brawl if Yoshi starts dodging my projectiles with Toon Link (like say my boomerang), I just shoot an arrow or chuck a bomb. If that isn't working, then that means the door is open to physical attacks. All I gotta do then is basically use one of Toon Link's great aerials, and Yoshi can't recover on most stages.

Even with non-projectile characters like Marth, Olimar (well, you could argue the Pikmin are projectiles), and Ike in Melee, it isn't that hard to chase Yoshi to prevent him from reaching the stage. That is, unless the Yoshi you are facing knows how to use DI much better, or your DI timing and spacing is off and/or just plain sucks! :laugh:

@ Poppy
Exactly. Give Yoshi a "3rd jump" by pressing the jump button or a typical up B recovery, and Yoshi's recovery is fine. However, as it stands, Yoshi's recovery is Yoshi's largest weakness. Even without that weakness Yoshi still has so many other weakness, such as minimal moves with priority, weak specials, and a grab that is too risky to use often.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
1. Yoshi may have the best horizontal air speed, but it is still not that hard to stop, especially since Brawl isn't exactly a "fast" game. Heck, even in Melee it isn't hard to stop.
2. Yoshi may have the the highest 2nd jump (and arguably the best 2nd jump in the game), but he is the only character without a 3rd jump. That ultimately, in a way, turns this "advantage" into a "weakness." If Yoshi had a 3rd jump, Yoshi's great second jump would be a huge strength for Yoshi.

Continuing off of your last point (which I agree with and my own last point(s), literally in any given smash bros. game when Yoshi is trying to recover back to the stage from even a medium distance, I can choose a character with a good long-range attack (personally I would choose Mario in Smash 64, Falco in Melee, and Toon Link in Brawl), and just keep hitting Yoshi in mid air to either stop Yoshi from recovering then, or setup a combo/follow up attack on the stage if Yoshi some reaches it.
I wasn't saying those factors make yoshi's recovery good, I was saying that saying he's bad at covering horizontal and vertical distances wasn't true.

VVV That's why I agreed it was painfully predictable :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yoshi is fine IMHO. And if I recall correctly, isn't his huge 2nd jump supposed to compensate for his lack of a third jump?

And even if not, at least his Up Special helps you get back to the stage. The only reason Jigglypuff's not in the same boat or worse is because it has 5 jumps.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I was looking for a gif when Yoshi is recovering at Delfino,but I am not finding it...

The gift is just great,and breaks 70% of John´s arguments.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yoshi is low tier on both Melee (21st out of 26) and Brawl (26th out of 39), thus putting Yoshi in the "F-tier" in both games. In both of those games, Yoshi's predictable and minimally effective recovery hurts, and is Yoshi's biggest weakness. This makes Yoshi easy to stop from getting to the stage, and possibly the easiest character to edge guard against.

Although that isn't Yoshi's only weakness. Yoshi lacks reliably and strong kill moves, making it hard to kill opponents without spiking them. Yoshi has few viable and useful quick moves that it can rely on a regular basis and/or don't have a lot of after lag to leave Yoshi hanging and vulnerable.

Plus Yoshi also has an awful dodge roll in Brawl, which especially stings without wavedashing. In Melee, a few of Yoshi's aerials and tilts are weak.

Yoshi is smash 64 is pretty good (at 6th out of 12). If Yoshi had a third jump button jump in that game, Yoshi would probably be a high tier character.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ok,I must agree that Yoshi´s recovery is predictable,but his upB is very useful lol.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It is poppy but it doesn't do the best job. Maybe if the super armor was increased. Also I don't remember if it has IASA frames or not but if it doesn't they need to add some. And his air dodge should last longer and have even less cool down.

And what he said VVV maybe increase the range slightly too.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I still don't know why they didn't make his tongue a tether recovery, it would've helped his recovery immensely.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi is low tier on both Melee (21st out of 26) and Brawl (26th out of 39), thus putting Yoshi in the "F-tier" in both games. In both of those games, Yoshi's predictable and minimally effective recovery hurts, and is Yoshi's biggest weakness. This makes Yoshi easy to stop from getting to the stage, and possibly the easiest character to edge guard against.

Although that isn't Yoshi's only weakness. Yoshi lacks reliably and strong kill moves, making it hard to kill opponents without spiking them. Yoshi has few viable and useful quick moves that it can rely on a regular basis and/or don't have a lot of after lag to leave Yoshi hanging and vulnerable.

Plus Yoshi also has an awful dodge roll in Brawl, which especially stings without wavedashing. In Melee, a few of Yoshi's aerials and tilts are weak.

Yoshi is smash 64 is pretty good (at 6th out of 12). If Yoshi had a third jump button jump in that game, Yoshi would probably be a high tier character.

Jonh,I am talking only about Yoshi´s brawl recovery,not about ALL Yoshi´s things from all smash games lol.

Also,his kill moves are really bad,I agree.
Yoshi is a character that you need to gives % and wait a little to kill,you need to have a lot of patience to kill heavy characters...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
After Mario Galaxy 2,my hopes for a tether recovery for Yoshi in SSB4 was increased.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yoshi's up B is pretty good, especially in Smash 64.

@ Falchion
Exactly.

@ Luk
I can easily stop a Yoshi from reaching the stage in Brawl, and I haven't played that game competitively in years.

Also, on a more random note... I found the Smash Boards page/thread in which the discovery of how to wavedash was made known back in January of 2002.

It was called "the Mad Dash!" :rotfl:

This is not to be confused with the thread that discovered wavelanding, or the discovery of wavedashing, of course.

Freaking HyperFalcon has one of the posts in that thread! That's how long he's been on Smash Boards. Granted, it was one of his first posts... like his eighth! :laugh:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
@John
I still don't think its as bad as Pit in all honesty. Yeah, its really good and all but one shot from Falco's laser or any other projectile (minus Fox) and its a wrap for him.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi's up B is pretty good, especially in Smash 64.

@ Falchion
Exactly.

@ Luk
I can easily stop a Yoshi from reaching the stage in Brawl, and I haven't played that game competitively in years.

Also, on a more random note... I found the Smash Boards page/thread in which the discovery of how to wavedash was made known back in January of 2002.

This is not to be confused with the thread that discovered wavelanding, or the discovery of wavedashing, of course.

Freaking HyperFalcon has one of the posts in that thread! That's how long he's been on Smash Boards. Granted, it was one of his first posts... like his eighth! :laugh:
A historical discovery!

I was 5 years old when this thread was created.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So when did they decide to you wavedash then? Was it a Tekken player or something?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John
I still don't think its as bad as Pit in all honesty. Yeah, its really good and all but one shot from Falco's laser or any other projectile (minus Fox) and its a wrap for him.
At least Pit can glide, though. Plus, you just proved what I was sayin'. All I gotta do is spam projectiles as Toon Link, and any Yoshi is dead. Actually, I beat one of the (then) top 20 or so Yoshi players like 3 years ago when I played as Toon Link. All I did was "projectile, projectile, projectile/melee attack" when they were off the stage, and then I'd win! :shades:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom