• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Brawl IS a fighting game, fighting games CAN be crappy you know. They're usually just not as popular when they're crappy. Because, you know, the core of a fighting game is the fighting, and if that sucks, the game usually doesn't do well.

I'm pretty confident Sony All Stars is going to be miles better than Brawl, minus the roster of course. (****ing stupid characters)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Lost some brain cells watching it. The ending was very stupid/biased and the people in that video did feel very uneducated on the Smash Bros. scene (or even some "real" fighting games).
FEH. Don't be dumb. They know kinds of fun you can't even dream of WORKING toward. Just go play Brawl or something where you don't have to WORK for the fun. Slacker.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I mean the PRESIDENT BACKROOM that lets you know how to fix Sakurai's mistakes.
Or maybe they were on purpose and therefore aren't mistakes.

The backroom is a dictatorship anyhow. :p

I was right in Senseing that Someone Strong would try and Surpress my power.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I had a damn good post for you John on one of your previous posts (not the one below), but my internet crapped out on me. I'll cut to the jist of it.

1. Your hate for the SF community is way out proportion.
2. People categorize things and some people have stricter standards than others.
3. Where is the hate for the FGC coming from because I never see it outside of the Cross Assault incident.
4. I see hate for competitive Smash from non FG fan bases. The main thing I see is that people can't process playing games competitively. But wait, sports are games and they're played for big money and have leages around the world. What makes them ok to play competitively and not be frowned upon? Social acceptance.

5. Smash has a lot of different elements from different genres, but so do all sorts of games, even Street Fighter. It's essentially a one on one beat-em-up.

I am embarrassed by the Street Fighter (a good portion of the) competitive scene. They give us Smash fans a bad name. I bet once Smash Wii U is on the EVO competitive scene (once the game works on HDTV and whatnot without lag), we're gonna have to go through hell from them.

Oh well. It's not like they're as tough as the New York Giants. :laugh:

Instead, they are probably about as tough as a ping pong player! :chuckle:

Edit: Anyways, I'm out for a while y'all!
Bull crap. Stop blaming only the SF community (when they're only one of many) for giving Smash a bad name. You know who else is at fault? The Smash community and Sakurai himself. The Smash community has suffered "scandals" such as with M2K and Ally fixing the finals match at a MLG tournament. Then there's the constant vying for acceptance by the FGC. Sakurai essentially murdered any credibility the Melee players mustered up (in fact, you'll find plenty of respect for this game) with his crapfest we call Brawl.

We don't need acceptance from any community. What we need is a good game that is solid, fun, and strategic. If you just go off with that and do your own thing, things will fall in place.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just don't like how they get off topic by talking about casuel and competitive, when they're asking whether or not Smash is a fighter.

Street Fighter has both a casuel and competitive audience, so does Smash. It's an argument that goes nowhere.

I gotta agree with Kuma, we're responsible for our own community. Who cares what other people think.

@Kuma: Quick question, so is there a division of communities? Like one for Street Fighter 2 and one for 4 or one for Brawl and one for Melee? Or is it all one giant community based on the game series?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh wow... i didn't expect this much feedback from a video from Machinima... i mean come on... it's Machinima...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
oh wow... i didn't expect this much feedback from a video from Machinima... i mean come on... it's Machinima...
What else would you expect from this thread?

Good point though. I do, however, love the Sonic for Hire and Mega Man Dies at the End series they have going on.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
the only reason why i am still subscribed is "All your history are belong to us"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't want to get into why Brawl sucks. So I'll do this:

Okay, tell me who you
1. WANT to gain the newcomer, and WHY
2. Who you THINK will get the newcomer, and WHY
3. Who are the most likely newcomers from either side

Mario Newcomer vs. Wario Newcomer
(The Mario and Spin off Stuff)

Kirby Newcomer vs. Legend Of Zelda Newcomer
(The "Complete" franchises)

Pokemon Newcomer vs. Donkey Kong Newcomer
(The Double Addition franchises)

StarFox Newcomer vs. F-Zero Newcomer
(Weird "Dead" Space Franchises)

Yoshi Newcomer vs. Mother Newcomer
(The no one cares about franchises)

Fire Emblem Newcomer vs. Kid Icarus Newcomer
(Sakurai's Faves)

Metroid Newcomer vs. Retro/Small Franchise Newcomer
(Two most widely "accepted" to be guaranteed a new spot in the next Smash)

Capcom Newcomer vs Square Enix Newcomer vs Namco Newcomer

PLAY BALL

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The ending makes me embarressed as a Smash fan. Are those two people who spoke at the end even a part of the real community?
Kage (who was the guy on the left) is a ridiculously talented player, and is probably the best Melee Ganondorf players in the world. His "claim to fame" was handily defeating Mango in a tournament a few years ago back when Mango reached Ken 2003-2006 status by winning multiple internationally acclaimed tournaments for a few years in a row.

I forgot who the other guy's name is! :embarrass:
I'm pretty confident Sony All Stars is going to be miles better than Brawl, minus the roster of course. (****ing stupid characters)
I completely disagree. The staff still looks like a bunch of greens, the camera looks awful, and the game play looks boring. Plus I bet the balancing will be much worse.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: Quick question, so is there a division of communities? Like one for Street Fighter 2 and one for 4 or one for Brawl and one for Melee? Or is it all one giant community based on the game series?
Yes, but you don't see anything on the scale of Melee vs. Brawl discussions. ST's community has been going on since 1994. Likewise, there's still a 3S community. Considering the big roster differences and generation gaps, this isn't surprising.

@Oasis

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Roster 4.0

May was included because A: Kanto would have to many Pokemon if Mewtwo returns and B: We will most likely be at Saphirre/ Ruby remakes at the time of Sm4sh.

Opinions? I would love some criticism and discussions....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is somebody saying Smash isn't a fighting game again? LOL

It's a fighting game, end of story.

Having party elements doesn't change what it mainly is. And even then, it'd be a Party/Fighting game. Just like Sonic Battle is a Fighting/RPG.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Your hate for the SF community is way out proportion.
I just can't stand the elitists. I have no problem with other Street Fighter players. However, there seems to be a cultural issue with the Street Fighter community that they refuse to address. For example, I once created a profile on shoruken asking how to do certain techniques. I got flamed and called various names for not knowing how to do it beforehand.
I see hate for competitive Smash from non FG fan bases. The main thing I see is that people can't process playing games competitively. But wait, sports are games and they're played for big money and have leages around the world. What makes them ok to play competitively and not be frowned upon? Social acceptance.
I agree completely with your assessment here. I think the big difference with the general public's view is that they see us as fat and lazy, and because sports have athletic moves that most of us can't do are easier to process than a bunch of pixels, because we can easily understand the former, but no the latter.
Bull crap. Stop blaming only the SF community (when they're only one of many) for giving Smash a bad name.
I didn't say they are the only problem. However, your examples are right. Except the Sakurai example. Sakurai didn't intend to make a competitively played series, but he doesn't condone it. I highly doubt Street Fighter II was made specifically to be a competitive fighting game. But no, people are willing to give Street Fighter a pass, but not smash.
We don't need acceptance from any community. What we need is a good game that is solid, fun, and strategic. If you just go off with that and do your own thing, things will fall in place.
EVO is a great opportunity for competitive Smash Wii U to grow as a game. Other than that though, you are right on the matter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@Metal

The pic doesn't work for me, but if it's similar to the roster in your sig, it's pretty good, I would enjoy playing as all those characters, although I don't know how likely ones like Andy, Dillon, and Ray are. And I doubt the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon will be replaced.

If Custom Robo or Rolling Western get more games though, I could see both Ray and Dillon being real contenders.

And DHD is always a good WTF choice, lol.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
About the whole fighting game thing, here's how I think of it.

You're fighting other playable characters, right? Fighting game. That's all there is to it. Jeezum.
LOL. Simple, but to the point. Plus this logic makes Mario Bros.' vs. multiplayer mode into a fighting game, as well as Balloon Fight's multiplayer. :smirk:
And technically I AM THE BACKROOM. :smirk:
Oh God, I voted for a dictator. Curse you Four Three Star DRAGON BALL!!! :mad:
What are we, France=???
:smirk:

Edit: 6,789th post! w00t! :shades:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kage (who was the guy on the left) is a ridiculously talented player, and is probably the best Melee Ganondorf players in the world. His "claim to fame" was handily defeating Mango in a tournament a few years ago back when Mango reached Ken 2003-2006 status by winning multiple internationally acclaimed tournaments for a few years in a row.

I forgot who the other guy's name is! :embarrass:
Oh okay, well they didn't do a good job of representing the community then.

Oh God, I voted for a dictator. Curse you Four Three Star DRAGON BALL!!! :mad:
What are we, France=???
:smirk:
:p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh okay, well they didn't do a good job of representing the community then.
I would love it if they had a follow up video with Brawl players at the end making fun of Melee. Then I think it would be a good little twist on it.

Then after that Isai should crash the party argument, and call the other 2 smash games inferior, and make fun of their lack of super ridiculously broken combos. Maybe he could challenge them to a Pikachu Smash 64 vs. Fox Melee vs. Meta Knight Brawl battle! :smirk:
That's exactly what that guy in that Triangle Scheme told my
imaginary
friend. I wouldn't be surprised if it was you and your three little.... whatever thingies! :mad:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He weighs 269 pounds. Plus he would be so much more of a BAMF if he was a heavyweight powerful beast!

Well he has to be pretty strong to carry around that plump plumber. Mario looks like he weighs at least around 180 pounds. You gotta be pretty strong to carry that weight around and still run ridiculously fast. Also, Yoshi needs strengths. He lacks a lot of viable moves, he has few moves that could kill, and for some reason, his recovery sucks. Unless you give Yoshi one of those strengths, don't take away this strength, or else Yoshi will go from perennial below average character to perennial bottom tier character.
Wario weighs over 300 lbs., which surpasses Mewtwo's weight. So ranking Mewtwo as just a basic heavy sounds fitting enough.

Regarding Yoshi, I did input some special move changes to go with the weight decrease. One of them included an actual third jump; Yoshi would use an egg as a stepping stone, giving him a strong jump boost, but it leaves him semi-helpless as a result; Yoshi can't use any of his specials, until he lands on the ground.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Really Wario is that fat=??? :embarrass:

Again, Yoshi needs to first get stronger before his weight class should be changed. What you offered is solutions, but first they need to make him a better character. One of the best ways to do that is to give him a ridiculous recovery that Yoshi deserves. Then, give Yoshi's special attacks more usefulness. After that, give all of Yoshi's other moves more priority by making several of Yoshi's tilts and aerials faster, as well as make his grab (when it misses) recover about twice as fast (in terms of vulnerable frames).

To make it simple, fixing Yoshi requires many different variables.

D

Deleted member

Okay, tell me who you
1. WANT to gain the newcomer, and WHY
2. Who you THINK will get the newcomer, and WHY
3. Who are the most likely newcomers from either side

Mario Newcomer vs. Wario Newcomer
(The Mario and Spin off Stuff)
1. Mario. I'm not interest in any newcomers from Wario whereas I find the Mario choices very appealing. Toad would be awesome as would Paper Mario and I'd like Waluigi too. Bowser Jr. would be cool as unique if he's unique.
2. Mario. I believe someone said earlier (months ago, it's buried in the thread) that Sakurai did have some bias against WarioWare (even if it wasn't as much as Wario Land). If that is the case, I can't see him adding a second rep this soon, especially when most people don't care for one. Mario is by no means guarantee but lots of people want one so whoever they pick out of this bracket {Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Waluigi} is bound to please people (and upset many others, but that's inevitable).
3. Toad from Super Mario Bros and Mona from Wario. Toad seems to be the most popular Mario rep (with Bowser Jr. not far behind) and Miyamoto does like Toad. Mona because I think she has the most potential to gain a strong fan base for her inclusion due to her importance in the WarioWare game.

Kirby Newcomer vs. Legend Of Zelda Newcomer
(The "Complete" franchises)
1. The Legend of Zelda. I would like Bandanna Dee, but Ghirahim has more to go for him in regards to potentials, so I pick a Zelda newcomer.
2. The Legend of Zelda. Kirby is Sakurai's baby and he is concern about letting his bias flow out too much with it. Zelda he doesn't face such a problem. He also planned a second Zelda newcomer in Brawl, so he may consider another Zelda newcomer again in the form of Ghirahim. However, I am also having doubts about Zelda getting a newcomer.
3. Bandanna Dee from Kirby and Ghirahim from Zelda. Both are pretty popular, which helps both. Ghirahim also has that quote in that Miyamoto wants him to be remembered. This doesn't mean Miyamoto is going to push for Ghirahim's inclusion for sure, but I could see Miyamoto consider adding Ghirahim in Smash.

Pokemon Newcomer vs. Donkey Kong Newcomer
(The Double Addition franchises)
1. Donkey Kong. The franchise earns itself two worthy newcomers in the name of King K. Rool and Dixie Kong and I find no reason why it shouldn't get at least one of those. While there are quite a few Pokemon newcomers I want (Deoxys and Genesect...), none of them have much of a shot, which is too bad (Mewtwo is a veteran, so it doesn't count).
2. Donkey Kong. I think the franchise has every reason to get a newcomer and I consider it to be the most deserving series to get one. K. Rool and Dixie have a lot going for their inclusions and I could easily see the franchise get both. Pokemon has a good chance of getting double additions as well, but I think if it came between adding Mewtwo (who I think is the most wanted newcomer) and Zoroark/6th gen, they would add Mewtwo.
3. Either 6th Gen or Zoroark from Pokemon (or Mewtwo if we're counting veterans) and King K. Rool from Donkey Kong. I can't think of any significant worries for K. Rool to face. As for Pokemon newcomers, I feel as us getting either Zoroark or 6th Gen as a newcomer is very likely, thought again, not a sure bet. Mewtwo I am confident in returning due to being one of the most wanted characters and being planned to return in Brawl (and 64 as well), making me think Sakurai wants Mewtwo as a staple of Smash.

StarFox Newcomer vs. F-Zero Newcomer
(Weird "Dead" Space Franchises)
1. Star Fox. I would love to see Krystal with her staff in Smash as she has strong move set potentials. F-zero could go either way; it could either be a ton of fun like Falcon or boring.
2. F-zero. I think both will get a newcomer, but if only one were to get one, I would say F-zero because Krystal seems unpopular in Japan and a F-zero character is popular worldwide.
3. Krystal is the only possibility from Star Fox and Samurai Goroh from F-zero, while not the guarantee rep, is still very likely the choice for that franchise. I don't understand what makes people think there are other possibilities out there (GameFAQs is guilty of this). Krystal is the only one many people would want to see whereas only a few would care for anyone else. Samurai Goroh is a popular request in the West and unlike Black Shadow, is not requested to be a clone of Captain Falcon.

Yoshi Newcomer vs. Mother Newcomer
(The no one cares about franchises)
1. Mother. I don't want a Mother rep, but Masked Man may be interesting.
2. Mother. There are at least a few newcomers that seems to be somewhat wanted from Mother, but very few wants a Yoshi newcomers.
3. Kamek from Yoshi and Masked Man from Mother. Kamek gets the majority out of the very small fan base for a second Yoshi character and Masked Man was popular pre-Brawl.

Fire Emblem Newcomer vs. Kid Icarus Newcomer
(Sakurai's Faves)
1. Kid Icarus. I want characters from both, but Palutena I think is more interesting than Krom and Roy.
2. Fire Emblem. The franchise almost got three characters in Brawl and both Krom and Roy have solid reasons to be in. Palutena seems likely, but with Sakurai's modesty, you never know.
3. Krom from Fire Emblem and Palutena from Kid Icarus. Krom is the latest lord, so he could work well as a promotion if he gets to be the lord of the next game and he could also have a large fan base for inclusion. Palutena is the most wanted Kid Icarus character and the series is named after her in Japan, making her the Zelda of the seris.

Metroid Newcomer vs. Retro/Small Franchise Newcomer
(Two most widely "accepted" to be guaranteed a new spot in the next Smash)
1. Retro/Small Franchise Newcomer. I'm not interested in Ridley (though I'd like to have Dark Samus in, but that's unlikely). Compare that to Isaac, Takamaru, Duck Hunt Dog, Lip, Ray, Chibi-Robo, and especially Saki and Mii, all of whom I want, and I would much prefer a retro/small franchise newcomer.
2. Retro/Small Franchise Newcomer. I could see Ridley getting shafted if Sakurai feels he's too difficult to make playable (an unlikely scenario), but I can't see Sakurai not adding more series.
3. Ridley from Metroid, Takamaru from Retro, and Isaac for Small Franchise Newcomer. Ridley is self-explanatory. Takamaru will likely get in if Sakurai considers the 2009 Samurai Warriors 3 game a remake. As for Isaac, I think he's most likely because he's very popular, he doesn't face the potential of Sakurai not seeing the potential in the character (like Little Mac), and there's no explanation as to why he wasn't in Brawl.

Capcom Newcomer vs Square Enix Newcomer vs Namco Newcomer
1. Capcom Newcomer. Not interested in a Namco newcomer. Square Enix newcomer would be nice if it's Crono, Slime, or Geno, but I don't care if they aren't in. A Capcom newcomer in the form of Mega Man I would absolutely love to see and is my most wanted newcomer. Mega Man is the only character aside from K. Rool I would be disappointed not to see.
2. Capcom Newcomer. Mega Man is probably in the Top 5 and Capcom has expressed interest in having Mega Man in Smash. Square Enix I could see them adding Geno if Sakurai pushes for him again due to pre-Brawl hype, but that's a very distant shot. Miyamoto may push for Pac-Man's inclusion, but not many people want him in, so I doubt it.
3. Mega Man from Capcom, Geno from Square Enix, and Pac-Man from Namco. See above.

PLAY BALL
Remember kids, hit the pitcher and you get a free score.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I would love it if they had a follow up video with Brawl players at the end making fun of Melee. Then I think it would be a good little twist on it.

Then after that Isai should crash the party argument, and call the other 2 smash games inferior, and make fun of their lack of super ridiculously broken combos. Maybe he could challenge them to a Pikachu Smash 64 vs. Fox Melee vs. Meta Knight Brawl battle! :smirk:
I'd rather see the 64 players do it and rip on both Melee and Brawl. Both games have it coming to them anyway. :cool:

That's exactly what that guy in that Triangle Scheme told my
imaginary
friend. I wouldn't be surprised if it was you and your three little.... whatever thingies! :mad:
??? I don't even want to know...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Is somebody saying Smash isn't a fighting game again? LOL

It's a fighting game, end of story.

Having party elements doesn't change what it mainly is. And even then, it'd be a Party/Fighting game. Just like Sonic Battle is a Fighting/RPG.
While Smash is definitely NOT a traditional fighting game, it shares enough traits that are in line with the genre that it could be sub-categorized as a hybrid. You can make all the analogies you want, but Smash's similarities to a traditional fighter run parallel only to the methods employed in dealing and mitigating damage (zoning, footsies, counter-poking, etc). Dispatching your opponent is a whole 'nother can of worms.

(Depending on the mode of play, obviously.)

If anything, Smash is closer to a 3D fighter with a ringout mechanic, but even then that's a shallow comparison.

I'd also argue Sonic Battle is an action/RPG like the DBZ handheld RPGs (Legacy of Goku), but it's whatever.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When I was in 6 in baseball back when your coach pitched to you, my teammate hit a home run, and I got jealous. So, I decided to put all my power into the hit. I hit the ball, and it hit my coach square in the nuts. It was pretty much hilariously awful and amazing.
I'd rather see the 64 players do it and rip on both Melee and Brawl. Both games have it coming to them anyway. :cool:
Pretty much, although it would be funnier if Brawl players hated on Melee 1st. Plus Isai is kind of like the Smash Bros. Godfather. Plus if Brawl made fun of Melee, it would be like a younger brother making fun of an older brother. Kinda like Eli Manning's Saturday Night Live skit (after his older brother did it about half a decade ago).
??? I don't even want to know...
You can't handle the truth.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just can't stand the elitists. I have no problem with other Street Fighter players. However, there seems to be a cultural issue with the Street Fighter community that they refuse to address. For example, I once created a profile on shoruken asking how to do certain techniques. I got flamed and called various names for not knowing how to do it beforehand.
This kind of behavior is looked down on even over at SRK. Unfortunately, there are those bad eggs in every group. Believe it or not, the ones that act like that tend to be the newest to the scene, trying to inflate their ego.

Out of curiosity, what were the techniques you asked about?
I didn't say they are the only problem. However, your examples are right. Except the Sakurai example. Sakurai didn't intend to make a competitively played series, but he doesn't condone it. I highly doubt Street Fighter II was made specifically to be a competitive fighting game. But no, people are willing to give Street Fighter a pass, but not smash.
Melee and Street Fighter II were both games that were not intended to be competitive. With SF2, Capcom went along with it after noticing what people were doing with it; in fact, Dhalsim's teleport and Chun-Li's fireballs were the result of bootleggers and were added into official versions of SF2. Sakurai, on the other hand, went out of his way to make it less competitive (and caused a massive alienation). This is why Smash doesn't get a pass from most people. It has to do with what the developers want, but there is the question of how much intention vs. actual use comes into play.

EVO is a great opportunity for competitive Smash Wii U to grow as a game. Other than that though, you are right on the matter.
I agree. I'm just saying that Smash doesn't necessarily need EVO to get big. It would definitely help if things go smooth, unlike Brawl in EVO 2008.

By not actively seeking acceptance, it'll come to you.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This kind of behavior is looked down on even over at SRK. Unfortunately, there are those bad eggs in every group. Believe it or not, the ones that act like that tend to be the newest to the scene, trying to inflate their ego.
Well you think they would find a way to eliminate them from their forums and tournaments if this behavior continued. I can think of an example where there was sexual harassment directed towards a poor girl, and the guy who did it is banned from nearly all of the tournaments in his region, and all the ones that girl goes to.
Out of curiosity, what were the techniques you asked about?
Something related to E. Honda in the HD Turbo Remix version of Street Fighter II. I was interested in learning it in order to figure out how to combat it.
Melee and Street Fighter II were both games that were not intended to be competitive. With SF2, Capcom went along with it after noticing what people were doing with it; in fact, Dhalsim's teleport and Chun-Li's fireballs were the result of bootleggers and were added into official versions of SF2. Sakurai, on the other hand, went out of his way to make it less competitive (and caused a massive alienation). This is why Smash doesn't get a pass from most people. It has to do with what the developers want, but there is the question of how much intention vs. actual use comes into play.
See, you are saying "Sakurai" and "Capcom." Capcom is a bunch of people, and Sakurai is 1 man. Sadly, Sakurai had to carry Brawl with a bunch of rookie fighting game developers. Sakurai and maybe 2 or 3 veteran staff members had to carry the other 100 or so developers. That seems almost unfair to judge Sakurai by.

It seems like Sakurai was trying to redefine the way we play smash competitively. I think he wasn't too far off from succeeding, although I don't know the direction he was going.
I agree. I'm just saying that Smash doesn't necessarily need EVO to get big. It would definitely help if things go smooth, unlike Brawl in EVO 2008.
Yeah, don't even mention the item incident. Plus Brawl couldn't run on all those sleek TV's like all those other fighting games. Smash Wii U won't have that problem.
By not actively seeking acceptance, it'll come to you.
It already has made Melee and Brawl incredibly successful competitively in attendance and tournament entrants. It's something that would be nice to have, but isn't needed.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
And Smash doesn't have its bad apples, John?

Where have you been? I can recall instances of theft, vandalism, and more at various Smash tourneys. Hell, we have people splitting placing money and rigging brackets with little to no consequence. And don't even get me started on the BR and URC nonsense. We got elitists here, too.

We got a lot of baggage here on this end. I love ya man, but don't throw stones in a glass house.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And Smash doesn't have its bad apples, John?

Where have you been? I can recall instances of theft, vandalism, and more at various Smash tourneys. Hell, we have people splitting placing money and rigging brackets with little to no consequence. And don't even get me started on the BR and URC nonsense. We got elitists here, too.
I mentioned some of them in my previous posts. The Genesis 2 thief, the sexual harassment guy, the kids throwing chairs, and the URC committee that hindered Brawl's "unity" competitively . Although to be fair to the URC, it had a good idea in trying to get Brawl back into major competitive video game circuits again. It is just its' means and sense of being above the community was wrong. That is why I called it a "conspiracy" (for good done bad). Remember when people went after me for saying that in that thread=??? :laugh:
We got a lot of baggage here on this end. I love ya man, but don't throw stones in a glass house.
I never said we don't. We work through it. Fortunately though, we have more good people than bad, and we have worked through these things, and we have (mostly) collectively moved forward instead of backwards.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I just finished watching it, pretty dumb overall. I can see so many holes in their arguements whether or not I agree with their results it's rediculous.

The ending makes me embarressed as a Smash fan. Are those two people who spoke at the end even a part of the real community?
yep. Chester was Before my time, but Kage is the most famous Ganon player in the Smash community.

I mentioned some of them in my previous posts. The Genesis 2 thief, the sexual harassment guy, the kids throwing chairs, and the URC committee that hindered Brawl's "unity" competitively .
don't forget the most infamous incident of all-M2K and ADHD being caught splitting Money, which got them banned from MLG and Brawl taken off the circuit.

D

Deleted member

Actually, there was cake.
But it was you. :troll:

So yes, the cake was not a lie...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The cake isn't a lie. The lie is a cake! :smirk:

The cake used to have icing on it, until it took a finger swipe to the outside. :chuckle:
don't forget the most infamous incident of all-M2K and ADHD being caught splitting Money, which got them banned from MLG and Brawl taken off the circuit.
I think we already brought up the Ally M2K money sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom