• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Isaac has tons of psynergy. Can't say anything for Ghirahim, but Isaac would not really be anything like Marth, Ike, etc. Unlike them, he can do something similar to magic. That's just his typical weapon. As for his Final Smash, he can always use the Sol Blade's Unleash. I forgot what it was, though.
But he's still a sword user, is he not? He would use his sword for normal attacks while magic is reserved for Special, would he not?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We don't quite know that yet, do we? And again, this is Sakurai we're talking about. While Magnus seems more AT material to us, that might not be the same to him.
Yes, it has been stated he only appears in one chapter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still wondering why people want Chrome when we know nothing about him and from what little we do know he seems similar to Ike.

D

Deleted member

I would like to see a concrete source about this. I have been told a whole bunch of conflicting things regarding him, and would like to know for sure.

If it's true, then Magnus has no shot.

EDIT: Samurai Goroh is another sword user that people want. Forgot about him.
And Takamaru, although he does have other weapons like Link.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But he's still a sword user, is he not? He would use his sword for normal attacks while magic is reserved for Special, would he not?
Nope. Not at all. He has tons of Psynergy that works for Smashes, etc. He can his Growth as an up Smash so it appears on the side of him. Or make a Quake down below him, and although weak, it may trip. And so on.

It's when a character only has a sword, do we question if they need to be in. He has over 50 different usable Psynergy. His Air Down A could be Planet Diver, where he goes on fire and strikes at a diagonal attack. Kind of like Sonic's Air Down A.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
IGN: Speaking of the characters, what can you tell us about Magnus?

Masahiro Sakurai: The game is set up in chapters – going from chapter one to chapter two to chapter three, and Magnus is a guest character that appears in chapter two. So it's very near the beginning of the game that he appears, and what we've done is we've set up this sort of ironic situation where you're near the beginning of the game, but you're set against what is made to be this 'breaking the fourth wall' final RPG boss type of character. So you discover that Magnus has some background history with this final boss character. Magnus is presented in the game as being the strongest of the strongest among humans, and all the humans have been fighting against the underworld and being defeated, but here's this one character who's stronger than everybody else. And when paired with Pit in the game, it's a good way for the player to get a sense comparatively, of just how powerful Pit is too. And also to explore Pit's character and personality by talking with another character in the game.
He is called a guest character. The rest of the context indicates that Magnus is just a story ploy to further Pit's character development.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
For all we know, we might not even get a goddess. We could just as well get Magnus, who Sakurai created.

EDIT: Doesn't this look more "fighter material"?
If by fighter material you mean generic JRPG '******' then yes. Medusa and Palutena would be leagues more interesting.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

I am still wondering why people want Chrome when we know nothing about him and from what little we do know he seems similar to Ike.
They don't, they just expect him to get in, hence the unwarranted votes.

...or they hate Roy and want him to stay cut for crappy reasons.

D

Deleted member

What I don't get is how can someone be a guest character...while debuting in the game they're guesting in....
Unless Sakurai has plans for a series regarding Magnus, which I don't particularly see. (though that would explain why Magnus and Dark Lord Gaol look so drastically different compared to the other characters...)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What I don't get is how can someone be a guest character...while debuting in the game they're guesting in....
Unless Sakurai has plans for a series regarding Magnus, which I don't particularly see. (though that would explain why Magnus looks so drastically different compared to the other characters...)
You are mistaken, he clearly is a guest. After all just look at his alternate artwork.

D

Deleted member

Lol. I think I saw him in another game as well. He looked kind of different, though.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Lol. I think I saw him in another game as well. He looked kind of different, though.
Magnus has the same voice actor as Jecht from Dissidia Final Fantasy. I think the evidence is compelling that Magnus is really Jecht caught in the Nintendoverse. That is what happened to him after Final Fantasy X. Pit happens to be Squall incarnate too, which explains the whiny voice. :troll:

Because he is new, and apparently being new guarantees you a spot in the next game.

D

Deleted member

So does anyone else have anything to add about what I said earlier about Chrome?
Yeah, people think he's a shoo-in just because he's the latest Lord due the ignorant belief that that's why Roy and Ike were added as well.

D

Deleted member

Magnus has the same voice actor as Jecht from Dissidia Final Fantasy. I think the evidence is compelling that Magnus is really Jecht caught in the Nintendoverse. That is what happened to him after Final Fantasy X. Pit happens to be Squall incarnate too, which explains the whiny voice. :troll:

Because he is new, and apparently being new guarantees you a spot in the next game.
He shares Jecht's voice actor? Lol.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since when did KI debates become so serious? :p

@Chrome: Beats me why people want him, I guess some people tend to mix up their own expectations with wants, either that or the whole "flavor of the month" speal.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Could the fear of Sakurai going with more relevant characters such as Chrome and Impa be known as "Chrome-o-phobia?"

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
He shares Jecht's voice actor? Lol.
Yes, if you listen at the part that shows Magnus in the latest Kid Icarus trailer it is obvious that it is the same voice actor. Listen for yourself. It is about the :40 mark.

http://youtu.be/RPpjOk0SdKI

Could the fear of Sakurai going with more relevant characters such as Chrome and Impa be known as "Chrome-o-phobia?"
I really don't want either of the two. Ghirahim is about the only recent character I have actually thrown my support behind. Mainly because I feel he is such a good character and would fit so well in the next game.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
People expect Chrome because he's the most recent FE Lord, simple as that. It's a classic case of relevancy vs. popularity with him right now, but after FE13 comes out in April in Japan, we can get a better handle on Chrome's chances.

D

Deleted member

There could also be one of these guys from Uprising as well:

While Pit could keep his old moveset, one of these guys could use the new weapons.
The only problem is that they're too generic.
What the Hell would one even be called? "Skyworld Fighter"?

Or even Dark Pit. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
See, that's the thing though. You are trying to make specific rationalizations for each one to show that X isn't true, and they are all different and independent of each other.

Ever heard of Occam's Razor? The simplest answer is the best one.
Well, here is a simple answer: time restrictions. Luigi was a easy Mario clone in SSB64, thus he made it in before Bowser, who was proven he had hardware issues or something like that? Perhaps his model was too complex to handle for being fully playable? It is true that he was considered though. Mewtwo and King DeDeDe where also, but where cut of due to time restrictions.

Besides, I'd still think Luigi would be more important than Bowser anyway. And Bowser being considered for 64 and not Peach kinda proves the theory wrong that assist characters make it in before villains.

The link you gave me was interessting though. Will check it out.

GSN if your still around I'll give you may Isaac moveset in a PM <3

People expect Chrome because he's the most recent FE Lord, simple as that. It's a classic case of relevancy vs. popularity with him right now, but after FE13 comes out in April in Japan, we can get a better handle on Chrome's chances.
I have the feeling it'll be selling good. Lots of old elements combined with new ones, and an overall fresher, faster look and style will be appealing to fans.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well I'd hope so. And well, I'd think they'd play more like a mix between Ness/Lucas and Marth/Roy/Ike honestly. I could do a quick moveset (would probably work for either)

B: Ragnarok. Isaac / Matthew charge up their blade similary in fashion like the FE characters would (but with no freedom of letting go like them) and casts a huge sword-like projectile out of it about a Bowser and a half wide (with an awesome sweetspot in the very middle) about 2 characters in front of him. The move would be as slow almost as Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, but has around the same knockback (weaker still) and does a whopping 28~32% when sweetspotted. 19~22% if a little off, 10~14% at the very end of the move). The move would probably have some super armor as well at the last few frames of the move.

Up B: Growth. Plants grow out of the ground to attack, or grow around a ledge for Isaac to climb back to the stage (working similary to a ladder). The plants would cause a slight sort of trapping effect, and do around 5% damage, but could be a good set up for a stronger attack. The higher the other character's %, the longer they stay trapped kinda similar to how ZZS's stun works, but this one is somewhat weaker. You can escape the plants by jumping.

Side B: I'd want to put Move here, but I kinda dislike the idea of it being an attack for him so... I say this should be Stone Spire, a ranged charge up move involving stone spires falling out of the sky on an opponent. If charged for a little, just one Spire comes out, and does about 12~14% damage, and could be considered as Isaac's main projectile, as it'd be coming out as fast as PK Fire would (except it being slightly stronger and with shorter range). Charged up somewhat longer and Isaac would cast 2 Spires next to each other, each doing about 12~14% damage. Charged up fully Isaac would cast a total of 4 Spires, and the effect would be similar to Charizard's Rock Smash on earlier %s, and would have nice knockback.

Down B: Gaia. A moveable projectile you can aim at the ground, where you can create an earthy erruption out of when releasing B. Like Stone Spire, you can actually build up damage as well when holding B, but this one lacks the sheer power you can build up with Stone Spire, but it can trap better, and requires a little more skill even. It's a option only usable on SOLID ground, so not on small platforms, it can also be done around edges, but not OVER the edges as it needs ground to be preformed. And it's strongest or most effective when a character is on the ground as well. It's actually like a moveable mine of sorts, and can be as strong depending on how long you hold B. It's the same kind of story with Stone Spire, hold B briefly and release and Gaia would be a small erruption, covering about 1.5 a Mario wide and does 11~14% if the opponent gets trapped in fully. Hold it longer and you'd have Mother Gaia which'd already cover 3 Mario's wide and could do 16~18%, hold if for the longest and you have Grand Gaia, which is a massive attack doing 23~27% and delivers great knockback if the opponents gets trapped in the move fully. As a general rule with this move, the stones comming out of the erruption do the building up damage, would work KIND OF similar to the Smart Bombs.

General playstyle of Isaac would be harder to learn than most characters, as his ranged attacks are his biggest assets. His Psynergy is rather slow, but are very good setups, a small Gaia spell could be cast into a stronger Spire spell, or otherwise. He'd be highly unpredictable, but at the same time, rather slow and furnable while casting spells. He wouldn't like projectile spam himself either, but Isaac has a strong big shield to protect himself with (like, Mewtwo's big shield but slightly smaller) and a normal Spire would be fast enough to counter back with most of the time.

He's highly versitale in his B moves, and his A moves would mostly consist of sword attacks. His sword would be a little longer than Toon Link's, and are mostly swift attacks with only a few moves you can effectively kill with. As a Venus Adept he fights the best on the ground, and would perhaps have a below average aerial game and jumps. He also would be a tad lighter than Marth, but shorter as well. He would mainly be good at egdeguarding, and KOing characters from the side of the screen, not from the top. His grab game is above average though and his throws go far and do good damage, and could possibly be ranged if they implenent the Move ability from him in it (it wouldn't go as far as in Brawl, but rather about a character in front of him) to counter these seeminly broken grabs, if Isaac would miss a grab, there is some serious lag involved. His running speed is about as fast as Luigi's, maybe a little faster even. Overall he's a character you have to play with smarts, but he can be highly effective if used well. His Psynergy is powerful and great for setting up combos, but he's still rather fragile, and even though he has some speed you have to watch out for lag often.

EDIT: As a Final Smash, it must be Judgement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHwgkwtMUY
Here's my Isaac moveset again. Lacks A moves, but bah... there's a description anyway so no need for it. It's already bordering on tl;dr anyway.

BKupa; That could be a good theory. Definitely worked for Mario and Zelda in Melee, hopefully for DK in Smash 4 to.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, here is a simple answer: time restrictions. Luigi was a easy Mario clone in SSB64, thus he made it in before Bowser, who was proven he had hardware issues or something like that? Perhaps his model was too complex to handle for being fully playable? It is true that he was considered though. Mewtwo and King DeDeDe where also, but where cut of due to time restrictions.

Besides, I'd still think Luigi would be more important than Bowser anyway. And Bowser being considered for 64 and not Peach kinda proves the theory wrong that assist characters make it in before villains.

The link you gave me was interessting though. Will check it out.
You still missing the point. Your adding a lot of variables. Star made a simple point. Sakurai chooses support characters first and notes some. But even now, you try to concoct 10 million different ways he's wrong. The best answer is the simplest. Ignore Occam's Razor. Let's use KISS. Keep it simple stupid. If you have to make up a lot of different ways to fit your nice little world than maybe you want to rethink your reality.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How does that disprove my points though? Yeah sure Luigi made it before Bowser, but I don't see it as a pattern. And as said before, I think Palutena is more likely than Medusa as well, slightly.

It's more about moveset potential anyway I think. And what is realistic. I don't think you can judge me based on what characters I want in though and for what reasons. Anyhow, don't feel like defending this as its stupid to go by one far too simple assumption as supporting characters being more likely than villain characters. Plus the smugness puts me off :/

The importance of the character also often comes into play, as well as their popularity. Sidekicks can be preferred, but there are not a huge amount of viable villains anyway.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
DAT ISAAC MOVESET <3

I have the feeling it'll be selling good. Lots of old elements combined with new ones, and an overall fresher, faster look and style will be appealing to fans.
It'll have decent sales at least. I'm sure the appeal of the double battle deal will help with that, at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do doubt it will. Gotta be honest that I was more hyped about Radiant Dawn, but that was mostly cause it was a sequel. This FE has all the potential thus far to really put the series out there again.

And thanks bro :awesome:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
How does that disprove my points though? Yeah sure Luigi made it before Bowser, but I don't see it as a pattern. And as said before, I think Palutena is more likely than Medusa as well, slightly.
Basically, you see trees. I see a forest.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Do doubt it will. Gotta be honest that I was more hyped about Radiant Dawn, but that was mostly cause it was a sequel. This FE has all the potential thus far to really put the series out there again.

And thanks bro :awesome:

'Course. ;o

I think people will be hyped for it mainly because it'll be the first new FE since Radiant Dawn, since FE11 & 12 are simply remakes.

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong said:
It's more about moveset potential anyway I think.
How ironic that you say this, yet you constantly harp on Impa being a replacement for Sheik (and saying on multiple occasions you wouldn't mind having Impa use practically's Sheik's move set with a few adjustments).

And there has also been cases in which not being unique actually helps (It sucks that's the cause, but it's true). Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon along with Wolf before Krystal and Toon Link before Midna should have shown how poor of a gauge move set potentials are.

D

Deleted member

The strange thing is, I never did get a source about Sakurai mentioning that he didn't like characters that could only punch...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude, my main point in that is that Sheik -unlike Impa- never did ANYTHING of worth. It's also funny how you say I harp on Sheik... As Sheik's only notable action in OOT was playing the harp. And some talking.

Toon Link makin it over Midna was not too bad, what was bad however is that out of 5 characters, only 3 of the Zelda characters are truely unique. Even Zelda / Sheik just like in Melee felt lazy to me. I would've liked someone instead of Sheik.

I kinda expect them to go lazy again however. At the most I expect 5 characters, and Toon / Young Link might not even make it. Ganondorf will get his revamp finally, Link and Zelda will be tweaked, and Impa will be the separate Sheik. That would in fact already be more than what they did with Zelda for Brawl.

And I said before that at least my Impa moveset will be mostly original. Will come with it this week.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And there has also been cases in which not being unique actually helps (It sucks that's the cause, but it's true). Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon along with Wolf before Krystal and Toon Link before Midna should have shown how poor of a gauge move set potentials are.
Major misconception.

Sakurai actually didn't know of Krystal until fans started asking for her on his questionaire, months AFTER the roster had been finalized. So, no, she just was never even considered. Until now that is.

Does Impa have a fight scene or something in SS or something? Because so far, as far as my brother has played, she's done less than Sheik. (At least Sheik teaches you songs) and lol at Impa being unique, but wanting her to replace Sheik. Makes no sense.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Then do you think the StarFox codecs and Krystals trophy where last minute additions? Or where they done by others without Sakurai knowing about it, just approving of them doing StarFox codecs and trophies?

Tell your brother to finish the game, and play Hero Mode and let him pay a bit more attention to Impa. She is truely the most underrated character in SS with the most important role

Next to Link and Zelda, but not close off

Let's say that Impa replacing Sheik would look and feel similar in the way Lucario replaced Mewtwo.

Or out-prioritced... People hate me saying replaced. :/

Also due to similar body types, and them being Sheikah, plus Sheik's moveset based of from basically nothing she actually did- Impa having her moves wouldn't look out of place at all. Makes far more sence than Ganondorf and Captain Falcon's similarity.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Then do you think the StarFox codecs and Krystals trophy where last minute additions? Or where they done by others without Sakurai knowing about it, just approving of them doing StarFox codecs and trophies?

The roster was finalized summer of 2005, the poll came a few months after that. So nothing was really a "late addition". I think he put out the poll for future reference, and fan service. After people said they wanted her, I think he decided to add some stuff OF HER into the game.

That basically sums up why I think she'll be playable this time around. She's unique (Or can be), Sakurai mentions she's a valuable asset in combat, she has a fanbase, she showed up a decent amount in Brawl, and I think Sakurai is going to draw a lot from the Brawl polls.

I hope you do realize that this Impa thing replacing Sheik is just A WISH of yours. Not something that is likely. Sheik is kinda part of Zelda's moveset for a reason, and she's a veteran with a pretty large following. Sakurai won't change Falco or Ganondorf's movesets much, what makes you think he is going to rip apart his Zelda playstyle vision, and destroy a entire following to add a new character who may not even be well liked? He wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom