• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@HyperFalcon: Shortie's a him. As for the next paragraph, I see where you're coming from.

And I have a question, how would people react if there were no third-parties but instead, there were Rare characters and you were allowed to pick two?

I would pick Banjo & Kazooie and Conker.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hi, I'm Hyper Falcon, and I can't ****ing read.

Oasis is right. THAT'S WHY, if anyone is getting in, it's going to be from the big five. (SEGA, Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco).

I wonder how many characters would be in from BK by now? If they got in during Melee? 2-3 maybe? Kanjo & Kazooie, Grunty, and Mumbo Jumbo maybe? Those are the only three deserving characters from the series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd pick Banjo & Kazooie and Fulgore.

Conker's main appearances didn't do it much for me. One game... that's mature. A few appearances. BK has more appearances, so I'd choose him first of the two.

As for Fulgore, he's only had Nintendo appearances.

Note that I'm not counting DK characters technically still owned by Rare, but yeah.

@SSBF: Yeah. I don't believe anybody should be special when they're third party. Be honest with me here: Would you have chosen Snake over MegaMan? Sonic, yes, everybody thought he had a good chance due to the rivalry, and Nintendo-only appearances.(whether or not they wanted him in, but it was clear he had a fair chance)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm learning to play Juri right now and I learned something absolutely dirty with her. Under certain conditions, which actually aren't all that uncommon, she can use instant overheads. An instant overhead is an aerial where the attack can come out almost as soon as you jump off the ground and you are forced to block high.

I was thinking about something like this being in Smash if normal blocking were to be implemented, but only certain characters would have the ability to do such moves because instant overheads essentially require certain animations to be doable. For example, Mario's FAir wouldn't be a viable IOH, but his DAir would be. It would be a pretty cool thing for certain characters.

Of course, this would be something for advanced players to enjoy, so I apologize if the idea isn't coming across. I'll do my best to clarify it.
EDIT: Here's an example for Juri's stuff. It should overall apply to other 2D fighters so it should get my message across.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNuUGosN5Fg

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You chumps and your imitation stage concepts. As Oasis would say, I'm the strongest in the whole world.

Really though I liked most of them. Did not care for the Halo concept, but that is due to my own personal apathy towards the series, not anything particularly wrong.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star: As I've asked Oasis: What does the scouter say about your power level? :p

Anyway it's nice to see more ideas being spread around but lets not make this into a competition.

Now back to working on my Metal Gear stage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Kuma: Maybe it could be something like how it takes time to recharge the Wario Waft? If the conditions are increasingly common, then a very powerful move(which comes out instantly) may become too overpowered/broken. Or maybe it could only be done every 30 seconds minimum(or any other reasonable time limit)

@Yani: If it's two characters from the same company, it's better to have them from two different series in general. Atleast then, there's more variety. I do agree that Conker doesn't deserve much of a slot anyway.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I kind of want to make a Stage Concept, once I get 3Dland or Mario Kart next month I'll make a stage concept out of one of those games. By the way did anyone pick up Return To Dreamland?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie Perfect level. Only complaint is it that it lacks this :troll:
BUT I DID. It's mixed in with Click Clock Woods "Night/Day theme"

I would love to see some Banjo/Grunty/Mumbo movesets. I could take a whack at some b-moves at least.

Mumbo's B-Moves coould consist of using his shock wand, as well as summoning the transormations him and Humba have turned Banjo and Kazooie in?

@Star Definitely NOT hard to make a decent stage. It's a lot harder to make a bad one than a good one P:

@Opelucid
I did. Definitely a game for a person with siblings. Playing alone is rather boring.
It got old after I beat Part 1

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: Maybe it could be something like how it takes time to recharge the Wario Waft? If the conditions are increasingly common, then a very powerful move(which comes out instantly) may become too overpowered/broken. Or maybe it could only be done every 30 seconds minimum(or any other reasonable time limit)
That would make it worthless and defeats the purpose of an IOH. Obviously, you can't give a character so many setups for it. Juri, for example, has a couple of places where she can do it, and some are downright tough to do against a competent player due to anti-airs and invincible reversals such as Shoryuken.

And of course, you'd have to balance it right. With IOHs as a possibility, a DAir meteor Smash must be react able so the only way it'd land as an IOH is if the opponent isn't paying attention. This is actually a common feature in games like King of Fighters and that has managed to survive this whole time. Just so long as the game is balanced with it in mind, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That would make it worthless and defeats the purpose of an IOH. Obviously, you can't give a character so many setups for it. Juri, for example, has a couple of places where she can do it, and some are downright tough to do against a competent player due to anti-airs and invincible reversals such as Shoryuken.
Never played as the character. So a Super Jump Punch would easily stop it, correct? Because we have to apply how it would work in Smash to put it in Smash.

And of course, you'd have to balance it right. With IOHs as a possibility, a DAir meteor Smash must be react able so the only way it'd land as an IOH is if the opponent isn't paying attention. This is actually a common feature in games like King of Fighters and that has managed to survive this whole time. Just so long as the game is balanced with it in mind, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Right. But I prefer the move is balanced within the game, not the other way around. What does IOH mean? Remember, I'm not as knowledgeable as you are about most Fighters. Smash and Sonic Battle is about what I know.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I kind of want to make a Stage Concept, once I get 3Dland or Mario Kart next month I'll make a stage concept out of one of those games. By the way did anyone pick up Return To Dreamland?

I'm going to rent it. I'm going to save my purchase money for Skyward Sword and Fortune Street.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Banjo-Kazooie

Neutral: Egg Shot-Banjo gets on all fours, and Kazooie pops out to shoot an egg. Chargeable. Depending on charge, a different egg will be shot. Click: Regular Egg-4% damage. Kinda charged: Fire Egg. Causes residual burn damage. Moves fast. Egg: 9%. Residual burn: 1% every 5 seconds for spread out length of time. Fully charged: Grenade Egg. Moves slowly, but has the most power. Upon impact, the egg explodes, resulting in an explosion 2 character spaces in all directions. Egg: 18% damage. Explosion: 5% damage.

Side: Beak Barge-Banjo will charge forward, and Kazooie will smash anything in range with her beak. After hitting an opponent, the two will keep going for a bit. Hitbox is the same at all points, but damage decreases the longer the move goes on. DMG: 8-22%, depending on how long the move has been going.

Up: Flip Flap Backflip-Kazooie will extend her wings and flap, thrusting the duo upward. Even in the air, opponents should be cautious, as the attack button can be pressed to make Banjo kick his legs, which can do decent damage. Hitting Kazooie's wings when she flaps also results in minor damage. DMG: 0%. If Banjo kicks: 10%. Kazooie's wings: 4%.

Down: Bill Drill-Banjo flips over, his back facing the ground. Kazooie will then thrust down, using her beak like a drill, spinning in place for a bit. The two then flip back over. Can cause combo damage. Sparks flying from Kazooie's beak also cause minor damage. In the air, the two will simply thrust down, smashing anybody they hit. Possible Meteor Smash. DMG(On Ground): 19%(if all hits connect). Sparks: 1% each. DMG(In Air): 21%.

These are just the Specials. It takes me a while to figure out A moves because I don't usually think about them.

What do you guys think?

yani_

Smash Ace
@FirstPoppy

Great! Just take out Banjo's kick in the Up B and make it if they touch her beak it does damage instead.

A can be Banjo's claw swipe from the first game.
A A A = 3 swipes

A Side can be the Rat-A-Tap, Kazooie's head pops out and pecks three times

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
IOH means instant overhead. Think of it like doing a SHFFL in Melee.

Assuming Super Jump Punch retains it's invincibility startup frames, then yes, they can be beaten, but a good player will find a way to force Mario to not want to do that move.

How did I say the game would be balanced within the move (since that'd be the other way around)? Again, all I'm saying is that the game should be balanced with instant overheads in mind since it's an option the game allows you to do. I mean, Juri is no where near top tier and she's one of, if not the only one, few characters in Street Fighter IV that can do instant overheads.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@FirstPoppy

Great! Just take out Banjo's kick in the Up B and make it if they touch her beak it does damage instead.
Well, I made Banjo's kick because Kazooie doesn't really do anything with her beak. I had an alternate idea that when they use it near an opponent, Banjo grabs them and piledrives them when they land. I dunno. Maybe that or Kazooie's wings?

yani_

Smash Ace
Well, I made Banjo's kick because Kazooie doesn't really do anything with her beak. I had an alternate idea that when they use it near an opponent, Banjo grabs them and piledrives them when they land. I dunno. Maybe that or Kazooie's wings?

BANJO, SEISMIC TOSS ATTACK NOW! :awesome:

When they fly Kazooie can do the beak bomb , where she shoots like a missile. But I figured that wouldn't exactly work too good so just touching the beak while flying could do a small amount of damage

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Anyway it's nice to see more ideas being spread around but lets not make this into a competition.
This is probably the stupidest thing you could have said.

Competition is healthy. It makes us better.

Star is the champ at making stages. Whoever tops him means better stages, and whoever tops like guy (it could be star again for all we now) means even better stages, the cycle continues.

If the stage making really becomes a competition expect me to join! ;)

You chumps and your imitation stage concepts. As Oasis would say, I'm the strongest in the whole world.

Comments like these, make me want to do it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Hyper
If you have any questions, don't feel afraid to ask. I'll provide what I know. It also helps refine some ideas I have. For example, the Gerudo Flip move I made was made within current Smash parameters, but it's extremely to adjust with normal blocking included as very little would change.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Kuma: Truthfully, I'm not interested in mechanics outside of Smash and Sonic Battle in general. I don't much do other than play those other games. I actually do more than play when it comes to these.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The only ones who can top my designs are the developers themselves. Maybe... :p

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Am I egging you on or am I just dropping the truth? I'm like Super Saiyan 4 level, and you my friend do not have the golden locks of stage design excellence. :p

I'm just trying to encourage the spreading of more creativity within this thread. We need something beyond the everyday debate. Besides, I like to seeing some other ideas outside of my own.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You know what? Forget a night's second thought.

Prepare yourself Star, because when I start making stages, you'll have to start reinventing yourself.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: Truthfully, I'm not interested in mechanics outside of Smash and Sonic Battle in general. I don't much do other than play those other games. I actually do more than play when it comes to these.
I highly suggest playing traditional fighters when you' get the chance. Street Fighter IV caught me on the rebound after quitting Brawl and I'm amazed at the world I've stepped into as a result. The strategy behind traditional fighters is just amazing. That's not to say Smash is lacking in strategy, but because there are more traditional fighters, you can see the possibilities in the genre. Platform fighters don't have this luxury since most aside from Smash are rather crummy and not fully thought out.

I suggest looking at some of the upcoming fighters like Street Fighter X Tekken, UMvC3, King of Fighters XIII, and Skullgirls.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
And i thought my stages were ok... Haha! ^^'

I posted in the debate room if anyone feels like looking, but feel free to continue the debate here :D

When it comes to traditional fighters i've enever had a taste for them. It's one of the reasons i love Nintendo: they make me love genres which i usually hate. For instance, i usually dislike racing games, but come Mario Kart and I love it (but only Mario Kart, not the other ones which i didn't like). Same with fighters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I highly suggest playing traditional fighters when you' get the chance. Street Fighter IV caught me on the rebound after quitting Brawl and I'm amazed at the world I've stepped into as a result. The strategy behind traditional fighters is just amazing. That's not to say Smash is lacking in strategy, but because there are more traditional fighters, you can see the possibilities in the genre. Platform fighters don't have this luxury since most aside from Smash are rather crummy and not fully thought out.

I suggest looking at some of the upcoming fighters like Street Fighter X Tekken, UMvC3, King of Fighters XIII, and Skullgirls.
No, I like playing them. I just don't care for their mechanics specifically. Also, I call them Technical Fighters due to how different their mechanics are. I'm also a very casual player, hence why I prefer Smash more myself.

Not that I don't like Soul Calibur either. Or Power Stone. I like fighting in 3D or trying to knock people off the stage as an alternative. None of the games really lack strategy, that's just me that does. So the less I have to put out, the better.

I'm not much of a real thinker, and I suck at strategy, so data collecting is really what I'm good at.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If I'm going to make stages, I'm gonna make them feel like you're actually in the location in question. This is why I love the Smash 64 stages, Onett, Peach's Castle, Castle Siege, and a few others. It's also why I hate stages like New Pork City (well, this one has multiple reasons) and Distant Planet. They were just platforms with a themed background.

@Hyper
I see. Yeah, I'm definitely a thinker, and a troll at fighting. That's why I go for the insane type of characters like Fuerte, Taokaka, Platinum, Juri, Jill, Xiaoyu, etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Kuma: Let me put it this way: One of my mains in Melee was Pichu. Enough said right there. That said, I like being the odd one.

In a different game, I run probably the worst type of deck available in YuGiOh. One of the worst archtypes is Gaia The Fierce Knight due to dead hands extremely often.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well if a stage competition happens I guess I'm in.

I was just trying to be a bit modest with all of the new concepts, that and I'm not very competitive to begin with, so sorry if what I said came out wrong.

@Iblis: I did finish my Sonic stage concept if you didn't see it. ;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: Let me put it this way: One of my mains in Melee was Pichu. Enough said right there. That said, I like being the odd one.

In a different game, I run probably the worst type of deck available in YuGiOh. One of the worst archtypes is Gaia The Fierce Knight due to dead hands extremely often.
Ok. So why do you go with these characters/deck archetypes? Do you just like them or what?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok. So why do you go with these characters/deck archetypes? Do you just like them or what?
Originality. I don't choose what "wins", I choose what I find fun. I love many mechanics of the game, that includes stuff that doesn't even happen to be good, heh.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't place so much appeal in originality. Originality doesn't mean it's good or bad. Like you, I pick the characters I find fun, but I look into what they're capable of so I can win. El Fuerte and Juri may be original characters, but that doesn't mean **** in the competitive world. What matters there is winning. For me, I want to win my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom