• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Miyamoto also advised Sakurai not to stray too far from the multiplayer aspect of SSBB....and look what we got in SSE?
That is different as what you are saying relates to the game's mechanics and gameplay. Things could have changed during development, and regardless the multiplayer mode was still effective in Brawl. Toad's role has already been established in Luigi's Mansion 2. They already have a rough idea of how LM2 will be working, and Miyamoto would not just say that in front of everyone in an interview if Toad did not have a major role...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Body shape was probably an excuse.
Exactly. Wario Peach > Toads. You can't argue they were better choices in terms of both popularity and role. Sure they were suggested, but I doubt they beat out these two, and that's where the excuse comes into play.

BUT, again, I don't really care.

@Claw, I'm not reading any nonsense about Rosalina or Waluigi, and legitimately replying, so just know this.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
The Mario debate is just meaningless debate for me. I honestly don't even care what happens. I just like to talk :awesome:

Personally, if anyone is getting in, it should be Toad or Junior. PM is sort of like, a weird choice IMO. Just like Doc was. Anything Spin-Off is a weird choice I think. (For the Mario series at least). Waluigi and Rosalina are jokes. Rosalina is probably dead now. By dead I mean, not showing up in the main titles now. Waluigi is the poop of Mario. Geno is too cool to be in Smash.

Not for Toad usually. Where is he playable now? Luigi's Mansion 2? Is he a sidekick or playable?
I'm not sure where you're getting this. For Rosalina...how are the Mario Galaxy games not main series games? Are you saying that she hasn't been in a main series game since then? They've released one game (NSMBW) since that time. And even if she doesn't appear in the new 3DLand game, why dismiss Galaxy? There are a ton of people who want to see Geno and he hasn't made an appearance since Mario RPG on the SNES, yet you say he is "too cool to be in Smash" while calling Rosalina a joke because she hasn't been in a game since 2010. Super Mario Galaxy (the game she is most prevelant in) is the 3rd highest rated game of all time on Gamerankings and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which she is also in) is the 2nd highest. If people can see a reason for Geno, then there is certainly reason to include Rosalina.

And how is Waluigi the "poop of Mario"? I'm not sure what that means. But, like I said, what i've been describing is a Waluigi character that would rep the spin offs, not the main series.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Wario Peach > Toads. You can't argue they were better choices in terms of both popularity and role.
I'm not sure what you mean by that unless you are using bias. Toad is also very popular as a character and has been playable before many times. Also Toads are staples to the Super Mario series with Peach. Wario only appeared in one game - a remake at that while Waluigi has no appearances so far. There is a reason why he is playable in so many games...

He was even eighth place in popularity in the 2008 video game characters poll in Japan.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think it does matter. I'm just saying, we have no idea how many characters there will be. There could be 45, 55, 65...we just don't know. Sakurai doesn't know. I just don't think we should worry about having too many characters or too little, we should just worry about having the best roster. And I think that regardless of final roster number, it isn't that farfetched that we'll get another rep + Waluigi OR just Waluigi, and furthermore, that wouldn't be the worst thing. To answer your question of why it matters: Waluigi would rep the Mario spin off and would present a brand new playstyle with moves based on the games he's in.
When you say "He could represent the spin-off games," it's kind of like you're saying "He's not really that important overall, but under this condition..." Like, you could say "Metroid Prime could be represented by Dark Samus" but, as a whole, she plays second to Ridley. Though that's probably not the best of examples. :V ANYHOW, on your point about how the roster is made, it's true to an extent, but that doesn't further your case on Waluigi much. Just because it's true he works hard to add as many characters as possible, doesn't mean he can just add characters all WILLY-NILLY. WALUIGI IS A VERY WILLY-NILLY CHARACTER. He would have to think carefully, and a bit conservatively to ensure he can get as much out of as few characters as possible. Make the most players happy, and add the most diversity to the game. I MEAN, the time spent on one character DOES take away time that could have been spent on another.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
@Claw, I'm not reading any nonsense about Rosalina or Waluigi, and legitimately replying, so just know this.
No offense or sarcasm intended, but something isn't "nonsense" just because it isn't your opinion. I've present very reasonable logic as why those characters are worthy and/or could be good additions in-game.

Umm... To sum it up:

Toad is still among the top choices in being a playable at NSMB. They just chose him because he could play like Mario. It had nothing to do with body structure. Peach was not included because she would need that float ability and Wario was not included because he would need the whole iconic fart ability.

In fact, a lot of people were mad that Toad was kind of chopped in half (Blue and yellow Toad). They wanted the normal colored Toad and another character. Umnm... IGN for example: http://wii.ign.com/articles/990/990400p1.html

Guys, recall that Shortie does not care about another Mario rep

@Brosis: Disappointing. YOU DIDN'T PUT "DO SOME RESEARCH" in the end

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not sure what you mean by that unless you are using bias. Toad is also very popular as a character and has been playable before many times. There is a reason why he is playable in so many games...
When in doubt, say bias.

Think for a second. If you have Peach and Wario being asked for. You know, Peach, the Princess of all Princessyness, and Wario, Mario's rival. But you opt for Toad, it's because of the excuse they gave. Body size. Why pick Toad over those two for any other reason?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Because Toad was one of the original playable characters in the Super Mario series? Toad is as relevant as both Peach and Wario, and that is why he was seriously considered to being playable.

Toad's body size is one of the reasons why they added him (despite how different it actually is to Mario and Luigi's body). Toad is very popular and has been one of the characters people expected in this kind of game....

Why are you guys including Wario and Peach in this when they're already in SSB?

YES, Toad was included for an unappealing reason. Doesn't change the fact that lots of people like him.

@Propeller Toad: Take note that Peach and Wario have a bigger fan base than Toad but that doesn't mean Toad has a small fan base

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
YES, Toad was included for an unappealing reason. Doesn't change the fact that lots of people like him.
That's why he's a candidate. Popularity.

DISCUSSION OVER

No offense or sarcasm intended, but something isn't "nonsense" just because it isn't your opinion. I've present very reasonable logic as why those characters are worthy and/or could be good additions in-game.
Toad, Junior, PM, Geno, one slot. Boom. Out. Bye Waluigi.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, sorry about that. I guess my bias for Toad got the better of me. Yes, Peach and Wario have bigger fan bases, but it is not like Toad's fan base is tiny compared to them as well. He could be considered near equal to them through his history.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
When you say "He could represent the spin-off games," it's kind of like you're saying "He's not really that important overall, but under this condition..." Like, you could say "Metroid Prime could be represented by Dark Samus" but, as a whole, she plays second to Ridley. Though that's probably not the best of examples. :V ANYHOW, on your point about how the roster is made, it's true to an extent, but that doesn't further your case on Waluigi much. Just because it's true he works hard to add as many characters as possible, doesn't mean he can just add characters all WILLY-NILLY. WALUIGI IS A VERY WILLY-NILLY CHARACTER. He would have to think carefully, and a bit conservatively to ensure he can get as much out of as few characters as possible. Make the most players happy, and add the most diversity to the game. I MEAN, the time spent on one character DOES take away time that could have been spent on another.
Good point on taking time away from developing something else. I'd hope though that this time he has as much time as he wants and (as long as it might take, unfortunately) they won't announce a release date until they are in the polishing up stage of development and they don't have to add anything else major that may have to be cut.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks like this, but what you said is kind of why i'd like to see him in. You're right: he isn't important to the main series, but under this condition of being a staple in the spinoff games, he is. The main reason I think this warrants inclusion is the creativity that could be placed in his moveset. He could have a move based on each of the spinoff games (kart, party, baseball, soccer, basketball, msm, ddr, etc). The moveset has a ton of potential because of this (which is also where i feel his case differs from the Metroid example). I do want to mention though, that there are plenty of characters from only one game (Geno comes to mind) that a lot of people want to see just because of how good/important the game they're from is. Getting back on topic, I just think the Mario spin off games are important enough to be given a character with a representative moveset, and Waluigi (as the 4th and final plumber) seems to me to be the logical choice if this did indeed happen.

I guess agree to disagree on Waluigi though. I just wanted to try and show that he could indeed be a cool character to play as with a good moveset, not the disaster most people anticipate.

@Shorite: Why are you forgetting one of the smartest things you've posted.

Waluigi's importance: Bowser Jr. has 10x more importance (Though I disagree but I guess I'm fine with it for some reason)
Waluigi's popularity : A spec compared to Toad's
Waluigi's umm... something. I don't know. A lot more

But, Waluigi CAN get in because ya know... Wario's partner BUT it's just not right for most people (Not including Game FAQs here)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the last thing was something along the lines of just beng overshadowed by Paper Mario because the series he represents is a legitimately good one. (The RPG series > Spin-Offs)

He's outclassed by all the competition. This isn't a Krystal situation, where a disliked character is the only choice left. Waluigi is disliked, overshadowed, and NOT the only character left to choose from. Unlike Krsytal.

NOT saying hate base means a thing. Because, it doesn't. Being a poor choice does though.

I hope the pattern we saw in Brawl continues. The Retro (Pit), WTF (ROB), and Small Franchise (Olimar) continues. Or, evolves and gets a forth slot added to the pattern.

Why do you assume one slot?
Why on earth would you assume two? Heck you would need THREE at least, for Waluigi to be a good choice. It's one or none. Even with two, Toad and Junior slurp those up. Waluigi sucks, like your logic.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
That's why he's a candidate. Popularity.

DISCUSSION OVER

Toad, Junior, PM, Geno, one slot. Boom. Out. Bye Waluigi.
Sorry, but I can't say discussion over quite yet ;). Why do you assume one slot? I doubt even Sakurai and his team know this and like i've been saying (and I could be wrong) ,I really don't think they put together the roster be saying "ok we can only have this many slots for this franchise and this many slots total". They add whoever they want based on what they think would be the most appealing, enjoyable, logical, creative, and balanced cast of characters. Waluigi being in doesnt mean Toad/Junior/PM/Geno can't make the cut (in fact, i'd argue PM could be a separate icon all together), it just means that Waluigi does make the cut. Now, if there IS only one rep for Mario to be added, Sakurai's is the only opinion that matters as to who the best choice would be, and Waluigi is the only one of the characters you listed who appeared as something greater than a sticker/trophy in Brawl (aside from Toad, who was part of Peach's moveset). So to be honest, I think if there is only one character for Mario added it certainly isn't that unlikely that it wouldn't be Waluigi. If this happens, I certainly hope they do take the approach i've discussed and give him a very creative moveset based on the spin off games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Waluigi's proportions and general WEIRDNESS alone could make a nice moveset. THING IS THOUGH, while moveset potential can save some characters, in the case of Mario characters, they're all rendered pretty much unnecessary since there are so many Mario characters already. NONE of them compare to the ones we have in any regard. We have the big guys because they're BIG. The only Mario characters left are SMALL FRIES.

You can support Waluigi, but no matter how you put it, he's just not in the same league as the characters already in Smash, or his fellow potential characters. HE'S JUST NOT.

SHORTS. Where did my sass go. I'm not being any fun. OH WELL, I need to go do some READING
and probably fall asleep on the couch because of it

@Kantrip: You have to dabble in a bit of everything and look at individual situations circumstantially. :troll:

Kantrip

Kantplay
If Waluigi was a character from a different franchise but had the same role I bet people would advocate him all day.

as much as people deny it, they prioritize rosters by franchise first a foremost, and pay no attention to the actual CHARACTER.

Mario series having 6 characters is... actually reasonable. Because Mario series has always been the series mascot of nintendo. But.... 7.... Hmm.... I'm gonna reflect on that.... or 8.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Why on earth would you assume two? Heck you would need THREE at least, for Waluigi to be a good choice. It's one or none. Even with two, Toad and Junior slurp those up. Waluigi sucks, like your logic.
I'm certainly not trying to attack you, just have a debate. I don't assume one, two, or any amount of spots. You can't say "it's either one or none" as fact because we simply don't know. It isn't announced or fact and I don't see a reason to assume anything. NOTHING has been announced or worked on. For all we know, they could have a 3 year dev time with a 65 character roster. Not necessarily likely, but possible. I'm not assuming anything. And saying Waluigi is a bad choice or sucks is simply your opinion and just doesn't have any barring on how good of a Smash character he'd actually be. My opinion is a character who has moves surrounding mario kart, mario party, and mario tennis WOULD be a good Smash character.

Our opinions don't matter though, Sakurai's does.

Also, what about my logic sucks? I don't think I said anything that farfetched.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
6 is a reasonable number for the Mario franchise. The Mario series has really evolved during the last several years, and it deserves to have a rep or two in front of the other franchises. And it is not like Toad and Bowser Jr. are obscure Nintendo characters as well.

@Claw:

I like your ideas as a spin-off character would be fun to use; however, I still feel that Toad and Jr. should get top priority over Waluigi as they have been more important in Nintendo's history.

Isn't Toad like iconic to the nintendo franchise and history? Also Jr. right?

If they are so iconic then 6 mario reps wouldn't be a stretch right?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
If Waluigi was a character from a different franchise but had the same role I bet people would advocate him all day.

as much as people deny it, they prioritize rosters by franchise first a foremost, and pay no attention to the actual CHARACTER.
Agreed 100%

6 is a reasonable number for the Mario franchise. The Mario series has really evolved during the last several years, and it deserves to have a rep or two in front of the other franchises. And it is not like Toad and Bowser Jr. are obscure Nintendo characters as well.
I could see a TON of characters who were technically Mario. I could see 6-7 Mario reps, plus Wario, Yoshi, and Paper Mario all with their own icons. That'd be pretty extreme, but I wouldn't rule it out.

@Claw:

I like your ideas as a spin-off character would be fun to use; however, I still feel that Toad and Jr. should get top priority over Waluigi as they have been more important in Nintendo's history.
If they made Bowser Jr or Toad in the fashion I've been proposing for Waluigi, i'd be 100% for it. My main hope is a Mario spin-off moveset and I just figured Waluigi would be the character most likley to be implemented that way. I'd be happy if any of the three were added in this way. I just think it'd be so much fun.

Gah, I love Smash debate almost as much as I love Smash.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
6 would not a stretch at all. Regardless of Wario or not, the Mushroom Kingdom did not get another newcomer in Brawl and I personally believe people would not go on an outrage if it was the Mario series that got 2 reps. Most Mario characters (especially Toad and Jr.) are generally better known to the gamers in comparison to some of the other possible newcomers from other franchises for SSB4.

@drClaw

I know that those characters are Mario themed characters, but the reason they are in Smash is not due to their roles in the Mario games, but for the roles they play in their games. Therefore, they are not really represnting much of the Mario universe, but rather from their own franchises.

D

Deleted member

5 or 6 slots for Mario and Pokemon seems fine to me.

Also, this is what happens when speculation is put on the back burner for a few days. A big argument.

Waluigi can suck it. Supporters drastically overrate his importance to the series.

:phone:

7 mario reps?

If I apply Shortie's logic with that, Toad, PM and Jr. would slurp that up. I will NOT disregard the possibility of Waluigi being a playable. I just don't like the idea.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Maybe if he was from a franchise like WarioWare. YES. I bet he would have more fans than Syrup and Mona. But the fact is, he's just NOT. He's from he biggest gaming franchise ever, and is a poop in comparison to his counterparts.

Mario discussion makes me no happy. OASIS. Drink some sassy tea. Or, eat a sassy cupcake...? I don't know how to rejuvinate sas pools...): I'm a fountain of it. DRINK FROM ME~

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So we're still debating, and here I thought that we had reached an agreement. lol

Do I need to do another "Who we are" comparison again to get us all to make up? :laugh:

Okay. To sum it up:

Toad, Jr., PM, Geno = Candidates

Waluigi = Not wanted

6 mario reps = Reasonable

End.

COMBO BREAKING TIME

Honey Queen for Smash 4

In the BR, can someone compare the community to famous cartoon characters like Mickey, Sponebob or even the old ones like wiley coyote

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
6 would not a stretch at all. Regardless of Wario or not, the Mushroom Kingdom did not get another newcomer in Brawl and I personally believe people would not go on an outrage if it was the Mario series that got 2 reps. Most Mario characters (especially Toad and Jr.) are generally better known to the gamers in comparison to some of the other possible newcomers from other franchises for SSB4.

@drClaw

I know that those characters are Mario themed characters, but the reason they are in Smash is not due to their roles in the Mario games, but for the roles they play in their games. Therefore, they are not really represnting much of the Mario universe, but rather from their own franchises.
definitely agreed. Lets say Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser all return. Then, say, they add Bowser Jr and Waluigi. Those would be the Mario reps. We'd still see Wario and Yoshi back, and if Paper Mario comes in, I believe he'd have his own icon as well.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
definitely agreed. Lets say Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser all return. Then, say, they add Bowser Jr and Waluigi. Those would be the Mario reps. We'd still see Wario and Yoshi back, and if Paper Mario comes in, I believe he'd have his own icon as well.

What about Toad?

^^ I guess I can't turn back.

If this starts another follow up debate then I'll have to jump in action.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Toad should be there as well! What happened to Toad and Jr. as first then Waluigi? (just wondering?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom