• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash 4 Movement Option: Corner Dash Pivot Slide

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
If this turns out to be really useful and high level players begin to use it as "unintended" will people hate it like they hate wavedashing?

xornadoon

Smash Rookie
@MonK4
By your definition, in keeping with the translation of the article, all that you have shown is that Sakurai intended to allow the mechanic to exist, which does not mean he intended to create it. In fact, the next clause you refer to shows with 100% certainty that he did not intend to create it (read put it in the game), as he "noticed that you could do that during the development period". And please remember, even if something is "reasonable and safe to assume", it is still an assumption. let me remind you: Speculation and logical proofs ARE mutually exclusive.

Honestly, at this point i feel as though we are arguing semantics and nobody is going to win (no one ever does in these types of arguments). You made some good points, so nice one.

Hopefully this isnt the last of the new tech discovered in this game. Even if everything is situational, maybe every situation will have some sort of option. That would make for a great competitive game

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Oh, you right, my bad doe.
I'd say it's beyond reasonable doubt that the question was accurately translated, and that Sakurai was not dodging the question as many interpretations have it, but rather that his response in the affirmative (hence why the "Of course" has a comma directly after it, separating it and the clause where he notes their noticing of it) signals that they intentionally left it in. Now, if there was no comma there it'd be clear as day that he meant that it's obvious they knew about it. But, since there is one there, and since it's safe to say that he's not simply avoiding the question, the only real alternative is that he is affirming that it's obvious they left it in, then adding that choice to leave it in or not was brought about since it's so hard to miss.
Sakurai never stated in that interview that wavedashing was supposed to be in the game or that it was intentional. He only stated that he noticed it during development.

Last Place

Smash Rookie
This is really easy to do with ROB and Villager.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I think that if Sakurai didn't want it to be in the game...he would have took it out! Tough concept, I know. Whether it was originally planned to be in the game or not is irrelevant. Sakurai could have took it out, but did not, which meant that he chose to let it remain in the game and therefore be possible.

to say something relevant to the original topic the tech looks nearly useless

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Jesus Key, This is why peolpe make fun of you on the Social Thread.
Something about that cracked me the ****ed up.
Now who was the genius who thought of this name? It just rolls off the tongue. Corner Dash Pivot Slide. I love it. People are totally going to have time to say that.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I think that if Sakurai didn't want it to be in the game...he would have took it out! Tough concept, I know. Whether it was originally planned to be in the game or not is irrelevant. Sakurai could have took it out, but did not, which meant that he chose to let it remain in the game and therefore be possible.

to say something relevant to the original topic the tech looks nearly useless
If Sakurai knew how much of an effect wavedashing would have, then he probably would have removed it in the beginning. It doesn't mean that he wanted it to be in the game, but he thought it would be inconsequential.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
If Sakurai knew how much of an effect wavedashing had, then he probably would have removed it in the beginning. It doesn't mean that he wanted it to be in the game, but he thought it would be inconsequential.
you're right, but that has nothing to do with sakurai allowing wavedashing to be in the game. all that matters is what was going through sakurai's head 12 or so years ago when he was making the game and decided whether to keep wavedashing or send it into a burning hole of fire.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Smash 4 more like Pivot Smash.

These pivoting tech are not ruining smash 4, Is changing the future of Smash 4.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Woo, more pivoting action.

These AT's are jarringly silly, but at least they exist.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This is actually the 1st technique in this game that has made me go WOW!

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai knew how much of an effect wavedashing would have, then he probably would have removed it in the beginning. It doesn't mean that he wanted it to be in the game, but he thought it would be inconsequential.
This isn't a wavedashing thread, but you can't say Sakurai would have patched wavedashing if he knew its potential back then, maybe today but not back in 2001. Also by your logic Sakurai would patch the corner pivot dash sliding AT if he knew about it just like he did to DACUS and glide tossing since they all have similar properties. But even now I doubt he will patch it since it's too hard to execute and it's too slow for applications and has little reward and oh...he doesn't give a **** about competitive smash 4

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Unless the physics were changed, there wasn't any for them to get rid of wavedashing without changing the air dodge.
That is completely incorrect. Removing WD likely could have been as simple as adding one or two lines of code. (IF you land while air dodging, THEN speed = 0)

Votega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Votega
came back to this thread to see if anyone had super-useful ideas for this new tech skill. then i remembered why i stopped going on smashboards (*cough* people unwilling to accept things they don't like/understand and starting fights because of their own lack of willingness to learn and improve and instead complain about said misunderstood subjects *cough* melee haters exaggerating their opinions instead of respecting others *subtle coughing* (hooray for repeating the divide in the community from the brawl era instead of coming together as people worth spending time with)). sad to see we can slap the label "fanboy" to literally every smash game.quite interested by sabaca's findings, though. gonna do some testing with that later.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's have none of that here. This is about a Smash 4 tech, not Melee. Don't bring them into this.

All this will do is start arguments.
It was only a jest.

I don't think anyone took it the wrong way-

Oh wait... There's my trolling infraction. :facepalm:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
@MonK4 and @ LimitCrown LimitCrown

In a sense, you both are right. LimitCrown is right in the sense of "while Melee was under development, Sakurai never intended to create wavedashing." While making Melee, he didn't have the mindset of "I want to make a way for characters to slide across the stage like butter (wavedashing)." However, MonK4 is also right in the sense that "Sakurai intentionally left wavedashing in the game." Because Sakurai chose to leave it in the game it was therefore intended to be in the final product.

You are both right because wavedashing wasn't intended to be in the game, but it was intended to stay in the game.

Now, can we stop talking about wavedashing on an article that has nothing to do with it?

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Everytime someone says something along the lines of advanced tech's are exploits or glitches one my cats gets a worm infection.

You people do know that smash bros is just basically just one big physics engine right?

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I see this tech and I was like, "Huh, okay. Situational spacing for baiting out punishes near the ledge and return quickly for a punish of your own. Nothing really amazing..."

Then saw that some characters can do it without the edge. "Ohhhh... Oh my god, please let Charizard be one of them. That would make his bait and punish game so much better." :D

I didn't see Charizard, but I did see Diddy Kong..........Well, at least Aura Lucario isn't able to do it without the edges... Otherwise, I'd be like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCJnTbmztk

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
It seems like the technique can make you vulnerable since the only thing you can do initially while you're turning around during a dash is jump.
You can F Smash or F Tilt also,unless I am mistaken.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
You can F Smash or F Tilt also,unless I am mistaken.
Yeah, you can also do those attacks including grabs during the initial part of the turning-around animation. It just seems like you'll make yourself more vulnerable by waiting until near the end of the animation.

Top Bottom