• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash 4 Movement Option: Corner Dash Pivot Slide

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
An interesting new tech seems to have been discovered for Smash 4 that creates a very interesting movement option. It is currently called a "Corner Dash Pivot Slide". Posted by YouTubers ZetassjHouse, this showcases some of the major movement options in the game and compares them to this.

He included an explanation on how this works in the comments that has been touched up for clarity. "Come running towards the edge and before touching change the of direction for your character, in the moment that starts to give 1 step press down smash or some jab. That is how it's done basically."

Sliiiiide to the left. Sliiiiiide to the right. Take it back now ya'll!
Some characters seemed to be able to do this without using the ledge at all which is also interesting. There is no other information on how this may work or effect other possible moves at this time so it is a great to experiment and see what kinds of cool things can be done with this move. There is already a thread to discuss this on Smashboards that could really use some filling with information, so go experiment and discuss!

SmashCapps is excited to see more unique movement options in Smash 4. Share in his excitement by following him on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Votega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Votega
wonder if it's negligible... also first?
EDIT: actually seems kinda useful, abeit in niche situations

Last edited:

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
When i do this with Link and try to input an fsmash (with c stick) instead of dsmash or jab , he will teleport the gap that he would slide otherwise without doing any move. It seems like this animation can get cancelled by certain(or all?) moves but the angle of you charakter is different and i think Link kinda trys to dash forward into the ground with his fsmash but since this isn't possible he teleports a little.
Now i tested it with all of Links Ground Moves and all work. Not everyone slide because some of them cancel the Momentum. This includes Shield , Grab , and you can also Pivot the Tilts Jabs and Grabs. (at least with Link haha)

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
When i do this with Link and try to input an fsmash (with c stick) instead of dsmash or jab , he will teleport the gap that he would slide otherwise without doing any move. It seems like this animation can get cancelled by certain(or all?) moves but the angle of you charakter is different and i think Link kinda trys to dash forward into the ground with his fsmash but since this isn't possible he teleports a little.
Now i tested it with all of Links Ground Moves and all work. Not everyone slide because some of them cancel the Momentum. This includes Shield , Grab , and you can also Pivot the Tilts Jabs and Grabs. (at least with Link haha)
Can you act immediately out of the teleport? This might be interesting to instantly step forward and attack unexpectedly.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
This seems like a really big deal for characters that can pull it off without needing the stage edge. All together the movement can be used to dodge a baited attack and then quickly slide back in for a punish. Gives you the option to land smashes with more charge or just land a smash instead of having to do a dash attack or something,

I'll be interested to try this out later and see who can and can't pull it off.

If you rely on the edge of the stage or platform to pull it off then it becomes a lot more gimmicky depending on the stage. It could still be incorporated into the edge game a little though. Like if the opponent on the ledge jumps over you to perform a back air on you you can slide under them and up tilt or something instead.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Ok, could have some use. Just new small spacing options. Cool, hopefully people don't freak out and call it Wavedashing again.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Geez, so many moves for me to even try to learn. I love it, it shows that Smash 4 isn't lacking when it comes to techniques.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
To be honest, I wish people would stop trying to make this game like Melee. We don't need a bunch of glitches and advanced "techniques" to enjoy the game.

Don't you just hate those "nothing but dodging" matches? I know I do.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
To be honest, I wish people would stop trying to make this game like Melee. We don't need a bunch of glitches and advanced "techniques" to enjoy the game.

Advanced techniques are not for "nothing but dodging" matches.

And just because Smash 4 has its own techniques, doesn't mean it has to be a Melee clone, or considered as such, but people still compare the two anyway :T

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Advanced techniques are not for "nothing but dodging" matches.

And just because Smash 4 has its own techniques, doesn't mean it has to be a Melee clone, or considered as such, but people still compare the two anyway :T
I hate wavedashing. I think it's stupid to rely on a glitch to move around. Fight like a man, I say.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I hate wavedashing. I think it's stupid to rely on a glitch to move around. Fight like a man, I say.
Has wavedashing harmed you in any way?
If you play against pros who use it, then you are likely at a level you can do it too.
If you play casually, then you don't even have to know it exists.

Also wavedashing helps out in battle a LOT. If by fight like a man you mean rush in without any backup quick-retreat plan, then...I mean........why?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I think you mean 'wavecheating'.

No, but, seriously, this is an irrational personal vendetta, and has nothing to do with 'honor' or 'being a man'. If you were truly honorable you'd leave your petty hatred of a game mechanic aside.

Last edited:

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice

This is the most Casual thing I've ever read on the entirety of SmashBoards.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The exploit was noticed by the development team and KEPT IN THE GAME. It's not some glitch :/
It's an exploit in the game. It was kept only because they thought it wouldn't be very useful. It was never intended to be in the game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This article has nothing to do with wavedashing, which is by no means..."unmanly."

Stay on topic, people.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's an exploit in the game. It was kept only because they thought it wouldn't be very useful. It was never intended to be in the game
Your insistence changes nothing. Furthermore, developer intent means nothing. If some effect is generated that is more noble than what the developer means by something, then it happens that mechanic is superior to the initial vision of the developer.

Plus, you contradict yourself. First, you acknowledge it was kept in the game, then you say it was never intended to be in the game. Is not deliberately allowing its existence the very same as intending it to continue to existence?

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Your insistence changes nothing. Furthermore, developer intent means nothing. If some effect is generated that is more noble than what the developer means by something, then it happens that mechanic is superior to the initial vision of the developer.

Plus, you contradict yourself. First, you acknowledge it was kept in the game, then you say it was never intended to be in the game. Is not deliberately allowing its existence the very same as intending it to continue to existence?
It's not a contradiction to say that wavedashing was not intended to be in the game and that Sakurai noticed it during development.
Unless the physics were changed, there wasn't any for them to get rid of wavedashing without changing the air dodge.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
It's not a contradiction to say that wavedashing was not intended to be in the game and that Sakurai noticed it during development.
Unless the physics were changed, there wasn't any for them to get rid of wavedashing without changing the air dodge.
What you're saying is factually false. Wavedashing was in the game, given a name by the development team, and has been recognized as a legit thing that turned into more than it was expected to be.

If you are saying it was 'never intended' you are wrong. End of story.

Please stop having this argument. Thanks.

BBC7

Smash Ace
An easy way to do the non-pivot dash method is:

Run up to the edge, and hold on to the opposite direction a little before your D-Smash or Jab in order to slide.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Jesus Key, This is why peolpe make fun of you on the Soical Thread. (No offense)

While I do agree that it's a glitch, it's not wavedashing, this dosn't come close to wavedashing.
You don't have do this exploit to win in matches, just play the game you want. Let the hardcore play the way they want, and they let you play the way you want.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Sakurai came to an impasse, and that means he was compelled to choose. To choose to do nothing is to allow its existence, and therefore to intend its presence in the game. No matter what duress one is placed under one must accept all inevitable consequences of the actions insofar as they know.
It is logically necessary, for when Sakurai chose to 'do nothing' he chose to deliberately leave it in the game, therefore to intend its existence, regardless of any possible dislike he had of it. Therefore, it, at some point, was intended.
To say otherwise is implicitly contradictory, therefore false.
This isn't an argument about wavedashing, this is simple logic, the principles of causation and contradiction, and praxeology.
Nobody 'does nothing' when they choose to 'do nothing' in the sense that by choosing they accept all the consequences they know will logically come from their 'inaction' (which is really action).

Last edited:
Top Bottom