• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry, what? Super Smash Bros. would be "perfect" for the Nintendo DS? Clearly Sakurai is more insane than we thought.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, what? Super Smash Bros. would be "perfect" for the Nintendo DS? Clearly Sakurai is more insane than we thought.
hahahhahaha QFT
Unless it's made so that you can hook in an analog stick or somehow make a Gamecube controller compatible wiht the DS, its gonna be a flop. Unless he fixes all the mistakes he made in Brawl by making it more like Melee, its gonna suck.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Is there a link or scan I can peep?

I would like to read exactly what he said. . .

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
This thread turned into a SSB4 discussion :ohwell:

And I think this "Smash DS" will probably be like a 2-D Street Fighter-type of mechanics game. Who knows.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only bad thing about 50 character is 50 times classic and all star mode XD
Considering how a lot of people play Smash Bros for years at a time, it wouldn't be that bad. It took me about 2 weeks to go through these respective modes with all 39 characters and that was back in March. If you spread it out of the course of several months, it wouldn't be tedious at all.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
he better make isaac from golden sun playable this time! i was so pissed off at the fact that sakurai made him an assist trophy. and seiously, take tripping out and add L-cancel and mteor cancel back. no wavedashing please. and buff kirby some more (quicker moves and a better final smash like crash kirby instead of cook kirby.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm, what I get from this is that Smash 4 probably won't have 50 total characters (in terms of slots). Yikes, if Smash 4 will only have 12 newcomers, then I have some very controversial ideas on who these newcomers should be, though while a lot of you would disagree it would probably be for the best.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
Has anybody checked to make shure anything said in the OP is true. I smell BS here. What has happened to the time of checking every last piece of "news" and "interviews" posted on the forums to see if it is real.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
How about brilliant online modes, voice chat, more complex single player, AND more characters/stages? As well as the always essential downloadable content. THAT would be the Smash game to end them all.

Unfortunately Nintendo's 8th gen console will probably have N64 graphics.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Has anybody checked to make shure anything said in the OP is true. I smell BS here. What has happened to the time of checking every last piece of "news" and "interviews" posted on the forums to see if it is real.
Thats why I asked for someone to link to some proof.

:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

People have let their BS meters loosen up now that Brawls out:embarrass

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
You people act like the Smash series is in worse condition than the Sonic series.

EDIT: DS won't be able to handle the N64 game.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
You guys have turned him into a troll. The Smash Community have drained any drip of humanity Sakurai had.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Well it's a good thing he's not a troll then.

I can't think of any trollish qualities. Are we talking about the same Sakurai or does being on these boards really diminish your whole opinion of him?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You guys have turned him into a troll. The Smash Community have drained any drip of humanity Sakurai had.
Sakurai is not a troll. However, I am worried what path the next Smash would take. Apparently, everyone thinks they can make a better Smash simply because they made a roster that has every forgotten or unimportant Nintendo character, 3 Sonic characters, and Naruto. There is more to Smash than the roster, however, ideally I think there should be 48-50 slots in Smash 4.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, around 50 would be perfect for the last Smash, I actually made a roster with 55 characters, the last 5 were "Guest" characters. 3rd party. I think their guest status should be a little emphasised.

But I seriously don't think Smash 4 should exist without these things:

- Downloadable content
- More online modes
- Real next gen graphics
- More complex story mode
- Fully mastered and updated game mechanics

So they'll need to work on it for a while. After they do, who cares? It'd be the best "Last Smash Bros game" ever.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
I just want to add that this forum collectively has the worst idea of what is good for the Smash franchise.

Melee got lucky. With so many different modes and characters... and such a short development cycle, the game became great by an incredible stroke of luck. It isn't hard to see, in light of Brawl, how Sakurai is a mediocre game designer.

More has never been better, and it never will be better. More is impractical, and it takes exponentially longer to develop. Now, instead of testing the matchups between a few characters(64) or even 20 characters (melee), you have 50+ characters to balance?! Think about how long it takes a professional player to get used to all the matchups, and that is about how long a good beta testing phase should be (~1 year?).

Make a good game first please. Don't listen to a bunch of children. Melee is what made this franchise so phenomenal. 25-30 characters is a good amount of variety in a game without patches or future support (Nintendo = noobs).

Superlink9: the graphics in brawl are fantastic (style over poly count).
- 1000 characters!
- Looks like Crysis!!! (lol)
- Downloadable content with 10 characters added a week!!!

sigh.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
The thing is, many people would disagree with you. A lot of gamers didn't like Melee, found it was too fast or too unbalanced etc. Also, wasn't Sakurai the one who said "more characters =/= a good game"? I don't think he's a mediocre game designer. Even if Melee was an "Accident", the original SSB and Brawl are still ****ing brilliant as games.

EDIT: And another thing, fans want more characters? Sure. Smash is ultimately a fan project, Smash was not designed to be a competetive fighting game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sukari is not a troll. He's a Scrub.

The thing is, many people would disagree with you. A lot of gamers didn't like Melee, found it was too fast or too unbalanced etc.
There are idiots for everything. A lot of people liked the fact that Melee was fast. In fact, Melee wasn't even that fast unless you used L-canceling and those who thought it was "too fast" could've just, you know, not L-canceled. If they think non-L-canceled Melee is "too fast", then they're idiots.

Brawl is looking way less balanced than Melee at the moment. The fact that some people lack the knowledge to make that judgment doesn't make it less true. The most idiotic complaints about Melee hold true for Brawl... in fact, it's even worse.

"Too glitchy, too broken, too chaingrabby, too imbalanced" - Guess what, Brawl has all that in spades.

Also, wasn't Sakurai the one who said "more characters =/= a good game"?
Quote pl0x.

I don't think he's a mediocre game designer.
Pray tell, what do you base this on?

Even if Melee was an "Accident", the original SSB and Brawl are still ****ing brilliant as games.
Only Brawl isn't. It's a sloppily programmed and beta-tested game. We found tons of glitches on the first day of playing it as a demo. In fact, I believe the DeDeDe chaingrab was found out the very first day it was released to the general public as a demo.

Ever since, we've finding new glitches by the week. Brawl is so glitchy it doesn't even compare to Melee where there only a few glitches. Noooo, Brawl takes it to a whole other level. There's also Tripping. Whoever thought that up needs to be fired.

Melee was imbalanced? Umm... yeah. Only if you were a scrub and didn't know everyone down to Link could compete. Melee was too fast? Guess what, it wasn't. There's tons of faster fighting games out there. The fact that some people couldn't handle it because they aren't Competitive players does not change that fact.

Melee is only fast if you make it fast. And the scrubs who whined about it being fast most probably didn't. They just wanted it slower so they wouldn't get owned as hard in Competitive play, but guess what, they still are getting owned.

EDIT: And another thing, fans want more characters? Sure. Smash is ultimately a fan project, Smash was not designed to be a competetive fighting game.
Poo poo, then what the hell was Sakurai doing spouting off about "balancing" the game? Now, Sakurai might've tried to make a more Casual fighting game... but guess what, why would you try to control how Competitive Smash is played unless you want to make a Competitive game (geared towards the Casuals)?

Because really, the Casual market shouldn't care how Competitive Smash is played. How I play Zelda has no bearing on how Random Zelda #34211 enjoys the game unless we play each other and Zelda #34211 can just choose not to play me. If Zelda #34211 goes to a tournament and enters Competitive play, then he's clearly putting himself in the path of Competitive play.

If he wants to be a part of it, be our guest. If he doesn't like the scene, he can just not be a part of the scene. How we play the game Competitively should have no bearing on how people play the game Casually. As such, Sakurai should've just designed the game however he thought was the best way to play it, not try to control how we play by toning things down and making things easier to perform.

That's clearly trying to control Competitive play.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is, many people would disagree with you. A lot of gamers didn't like Melee, found it was too fast or too unbalanced etc. Also, wasn't Sakurai the one who said "more characters =/= a good game"? I don't think he's a mediocre game designer. Even if Melee was an "Accident", the original SSB and Brawl are still ****ing brilliant as games.

Keep in mind though with each new Smash it will be harder to increase the roster's due to the increase in hardware complexity, unless Nintendo's future consoles only have slight graphical increases like with the Wii.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Sukari is not a troll. He's a Scrub.
lol. :/

Keep in mind though with each new Smash it will be harder to increase the roster's due to the increase in hardware complexity, unless Nintendo's future consoles only have slight graphical increases like with the Wii.
Yeah, which is why I'm not sure SSB4 should be created unless Nintendo substantially increase their 8th gen's hardware capabilities.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Perhaps just not their kind of game? Melee was too fast for some without L-Cancelling, if that makes you an idiot there are tons of "idiot" gamers out there, I don't see why you have to force your opinions on people like that.

And Brawl is still a great game. Critically acclaimed, and a lot of fun. So your "opinion" is better than everyone else's?

By the way, a lot of casual gamers I know didn't like Melee and love Brawl. You can call all these people "idiots" and I'll just call you one back.

EDIT: There are competetive gamers who don't like Smash, or even those who don't like fighters at all.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, and I think Sakurai is a great designer because Smash Bros games are tons of fun, and so are his Kirby games.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
lol. :/

Yeah, which is why I'm not sure SSB4 should be created unless Nintendo substantially increase their 8th gen's hardware capabilities.
The reason why Sakurai's team was able to put in 17 mostly non-clone newcomers (18 if you count Toon Link as a newcomer) was due to the Wii not being a true next-gen console, so less time could be spent on the actual graphics engine. Think about the graphics jump from 64 to Melee, only 14 newcomers were addeded to Melee with six of them being clones.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'd think more hardware capabilities would mean more everything. The jump between XBOX and 360 didn't mean GTAIV lacked content. They would just take more time on the game, or plan beforehand. I don't see why other games make the next gen conversion fine but Smash Bros can't.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I don't think it's the hardware that kept the character amount lower than Sakurai wanted.

In fact, I don't think Brawl would have as many characters as it does if Sakurai had to pump PS3 HD level of devilopment into it at this point in time. (I say that because from what I gather it's more closely and takes more devilopment time to do PS3 level biggy games like SSBB. Time is what he put the blame on in the ONM interview and that would have been more of a facture on the HD twins.)

Nintendo will go HD next gen but by than they will have fond some means of lower HD devilopment cost and making it easier to make HD games.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
dude honestly as long as pokemon trainer with squirtle/ivysaur/charizard stays, i'll probably be happy :\

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perhaps just not their kind of game? Melee was too fast for some without L-Cancelling, if that makes you an idiot there are tons of "idiot" gamers out there, I don't see why you have to force your opinions on people like that.

And Brawl is still a great game. Critically acclaimed, and a lot of fun. So your "opinion" is better than everyone else's?

By the way, a lot of casual gamers I know didn't like Melee and love Brawl. You can call all these people "idiots" and I'll just call you one back.

EDIT: There are competetive gamers who don't like Smash, or even those who don't like fighters at all.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, and I think Sakurai is a great designer because Smash Bros games are tons of fun, and so are his Kirby games.
The term "idiot" applies because if Melee is just too fast for someone, they should switch games. Unless they only played Melee for the fanservice.

I could care less about the fan service. I like Smash because of the game engine, not because I can rock it as Zelda or whatever (in fact, I haven't even played any of the 3D Zeldas).

The term "idiot" applies because if some characters were "too fast" for people, the could've just switched to slower ones. There were plenty of them. The term "idiot" applies because Brawl is still too fast. Just look at Sonic. What's gonna happen for SSB4? Nerfing of Sonic because he's just "too fast" for some people?

If you can't handle a certain character's speed, switch character. If the entire game is "too fast" for you, switch games. Don't whine at the maker until he caves in and changes the game for you. Also, Sakurai only listened to the complainers. He never once considered that there were plenty of people who didn't think Melee was too fat (at the Casual level). I can present you with at least 500 people I've personally met who concurr.

Black/Light

Smash Master
The reason why Sakurai's team was able to put in 17 mostly non-clone newcomers (18 if you count Toon Link as a newcomer) was due to the Wii not being a true next-gen console, so less time could be spent on the actual graphics engine. Think about the graphics jump from 64 to Melee, only 14 newcomers were addeded to Melee with six of them being clones.
I would also like to point out that the Wii is just as corrent gen as the PS3 and 360 (they are all corrent gen. . .).

It not being as powerful doesn't make it any less corrent gen. . . :ohwell:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Easy solution:
* Be less lazy and work harder
* Hire more people
* Take more time to program the game

It's not like it's impossible or even that hard to program a game for an entirely new generation, to have to work on a quasi-new graphics engine. It just takes time and effort.

This is relevant how exactly?

Games are as fun as we make them. You have fun playing it the way you play it. Fine. Others might not have fun playing the same way or the way they play it. For one thing, some people think Tripping is fun. A lot of other people loathe it.

Being a brilliant game designer is about more than just being able to make a game fun. It's a big part of it, but still. He's not that brilliant if he can't even fix easily discovered glitches. He's either blind, incompetent or lazy.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Smash doesn't need to be a launch title, they don't need to reveal it too soon, just tell us they're making it. If they take their time we'll end up with a fukken awesome game.

But we still get games like GTAIV only 2/3 years into 7th gen, so I don't know why a large and experienced dev team can't make SSB4 for 8th gen with substantial improvement.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think it's the hardware that kept the character amount lower than Sakurai wanted.

In fact, I don't think Brawl would have as many characters as it does if Sakurai had to pump PS3 HD level of devilopment into it at this point in time. (I say that because from what I gather it's more closely and takes more devilopment time to do PS3 level biggy games like SSBB. Time is what he put the blame on in the ONM interview and that would have been more of a facture on the HD twins.)

Nintendo will go HD next gen but by than they will have fond some means of lower HD devilopment cost and making it easier to make HD games.
That's what I said. I said more powerful hardware makes it more difficult to include more characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom