• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New R.O.B. Technique?

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
Hey ROBers! What I'm about to show you deals with increasing the range of R.O.B.'s side-b. Seems useful but VERY HARD to do sadly. I wanna know if it can be useful or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqsET-rxQE

HOW TO DO:

1) Short hop while moving at one direction.
2) When you start falling, side-b at same direction moved, but then switch direction as QUICKLY as possible (aka b-reversal)! Hold analog stick at direction you face after b-reversal.
3) While holding analog stick at the direction you're facing after b-reversal, keep tapping B. (may be optional)

So whats your opinion about this technique?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
If side B were good this would help, and since its so difficult to pull off its definitely not worth trying in a match.

I've seen the version of this without the B-reverse, this ones cooler tho.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Thanks for sharing this with us, Neo X, but as Sil said, it really isn't useful. Difficult to pull off and Side B not being good AT ALL as an attack. It is useful only for momentum canceling, edgeguarding Olimar when he uses Super Armor and reflecting his pikmins, too.

We could also be punished hard using this for it having too much ending lag.

Sudai

Stuff here
Lucario is one of the few exceptions to where Side B even has a use. It won't be useful vs good Lucarios and even if it were, this would only help to get to an edge to edge guard faster.

Sudai

Stuff here
FAir is better at the first, gyro is better at the second (best if in hand, of course) but you could even use bananas for this. Being third string option for edge guarding Diddy isn't really useful either. :/

TheMike

Smash Lord
It's also useful against Olimar's recovery whether the player can use the Down B's Super Armor correctly so as to avoid ROB's Fair. Using Side B instead, at leat one hit you'll get. =)

T0MMY

Smash Master
This thread went from "new ROB tech" to "Side-b's viability". That's kinda funny. :chuckle:
Do not underestimate R.O.B.'s F-Special! ([o 0]
Haha...
But, it actually works well on floaty characters like Wario and maybe Peach. It's just so bad in general it hardly gets used, but try it on those characters and see.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
FAir is better at the first, gyro is better at the second (best if in hand, of course) but you could even use bananas for this. Being third string option for edge guarding Diddy isn't really useful either. :/
actually its way better than you think, given its situational. If diddy is below the ledge and begins charging barrels, you create a wall he cant pass. F-air and B-air send him outward, where he can recharge his barrels, but this drops him downward, where you can beat him to the ledge.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
This thread went from "new ROB tech" to "Side-b's viability". That's kinda funny. :chuckle:
Do not underestimate R.O.B.'s F-Special! ([o 0]
Haha...
But, it actually works well on floaty characters like Wario and maybe Peach. It's just so bad in general it hardly gets used, but try it on those characters and see.
It also ends up "shield stabbing" because most people just hold up their shield when they see it.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
I do know one way of using side b. Whenever your opponent's shield is small, you can use it to shield poke them. (I didn't actually try that out I just thought it could work)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I do know one way of using side b. Whenever your opponent's shield is small, you can use it to shield poke them. (I didn't actually try that out I just thought it could work)
I already said this. Just in different wording. >.>

It also ends up "shield stabbing" because most people just hold up their shield when they see it.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think that if you break your opponent's shield using Side B's first hits, he'll probably get hit by the last ones. I'm not sure though.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
Thanks for sharing this with us, Neo X, but as Sil said, it really isn't useful. Difficult to pull off and Side B not being good AT ALL as an attack. It is useful only for momentum canceling, edgeguarding Olimar when he uses Super Armor and reflecting his pikmins, too.
When you guys tested momentum canceling did you test wavebouncing side B/gryo after a fair?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
TheMike didn't do it. That was myself and Fishy. Wavebouncing it had no notable effect. Maybe if we could double the size of the largest stage possible, maybe it'd get us another percent or two, but it doesn't help.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Trivia: That was actually one of the first things I tried, since I got the idea from the Zelda boards one day. Wavebouncing a Neutral B worked for them, but it doesn't work for us.

How long do I have to disappear from the forums for before I become famous just for posting once in awhile?

T0MMY

Smash Master
fixd

I've pondered this alot, Its really awkward to pull off and when I thought I did it right it didn't seem to change it much.
Thanks for fixing that wavebouncing to B-reversal. Personally, I think Gay-swizzler Turning has a better sound to it. Just flows off the tongue.

I actually prefer reversing the momentum of the Gyro-charge after a F-air rather than the Arm Rotor.
Actually, I'd rather use the Gyro in ANY situation over the Arm Rotor...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Trivia: That was actually one of the first things I tried, since I got the idea from the Zelda boards one day. Wavebouncing a Neutral B worked for them, but it doesn't work for us.

How long do I have to disappear from the forums for before I become famous just for posting once in awhile?
Not long enough. <3

Just don't tap B so there won't be as much ending lag.

Or you can just not use it.

ROFLCopter is just too ridiculously useless. It's ROB's equivalent to Cario's DT.

Ze3rox

Smash Rookie
Oh well, Ocean knows how to use the Side-B pretty well!
In my case, i only use it for Lucario (epic win <3), and sometimes for Diddy.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Thanks for fixing that wavebouncing to B-reversal. Personally, I think Gay-swizzler Turning has a better sound to it. Just flows off the tongue.
I'm calling it that from now on, just sayin.

Eh, I use it at times. Not saying I know when to use it, but who ever sees that **** coming? lol
If you can catch them in their shield on the ground and pump the S*** outa B, I constantly have people misjudge how long it lasts and get stabbed.

Top Bottom