• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New player guide

S.D

Smash Master
With a host of new players picking up melee I thought this might be a useful resource.

SleepyK's guide for new players

Wak's advanced how to play

Remember, melee is a game which rewards knowledge, practice and effort. There are no shortcuts. If you are serious about improving use these as guidelines.

I'm also considering doing some videos to help Australian players out. I don't claim to be the best player around, or even the most knowledgeable, however I think I have enough to offer to help most mid level players improve. Let me know if this is something anyone would be interested in. Most likely in a video format analysing play and looking for areas to improve on.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
There actually is one kinda shortcut S.D that not many players utilize.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

One of the most valuable resources you can always tap into are other players and their opinions/views on your game.

Getting players like myself or S.D who can play heaps of characters and understand how the other half of the cast should play as well can really up your game. Rather than sit down and play with one of us for 30 minutes and walk away thinking "man S.D is good" and not knowing what to work on, you could easily be going away from only a few games going "ok he said I need to learn to wavedash out of sheild into shine and also get those double ledge hop lazers down" so you really have something to work on.

Sometimes it can be hard to walk away from a match and wonder why you lost, where as someone else from the outside can say "hey you probably didnt realise this, but you teched the same direction every single time" or "you never did X and your opponent was totally open for it".

So don't forget you can buy our 3 part instructional melee dvd for only 17 easy installments of $29.95..... yeah you get the idea just ask questions at meets, we wont bite.

me and sam have too much spare time at work LOL

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
the lucien videos in syke's post are are a good attempt to analyse and articulate what, at this point, is happening subconsciously in the minds of top players

Top Bottom