• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Olimar technique & video examples

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Ok guys so first off I just posted a bunch of new videos so check them out

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Zero Suit Samus (El Cancel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai5PLb4cGds

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Snake (El Cancel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRnr4xrRfI

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Snake (El Cancel) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR0Q9QVBmhA

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Captain Falcon (El Cancel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnnDeIg5Mo

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Captain Falcon (El Cancel) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaTvwgVPOzw

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Ganondorf (El Cancel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlLMIgJO8E

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Ganondorf (El Cancel) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKgxuhw0Fus

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Ike (El Cancel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGp9o0vZhdc

Now for the exciting technique
U-B edge-hogging: Run off the edge and right as your falling do Olimar's U-B so that you are still technically on the the stage at the start (so that Olimar doesn't hop a little like when he is in the air) but falling off at the end. Quickly DI back towards the stage and edge-hog. You can also do this technique with your U-B extending towards the stage.Example: match vs. Zero Suit Samus.

A good place to practice this new techniques is at Corneria because you can use the edge of the fin to practice on so that you don't die when you mess up.

Edit: There was another technique I had listed but after some extensive testing I believe I may have been mistaken about the effects of said technique. I am going to keep working on it and if I figure out how it could be useful I'll let you guys know. My apologies for the confusion.

Zori

Smash Champion
Good Stuff Echo I never though of doing Up-b Turning But i do realize that attacks olimar does off the edge are godly Up-b to get more invicability frames, Up-b to attack and get back on the stage, lag free pikmin plucks,Up-b to DI back on the stage, Able to get all white and purple pikmin There are so many options There is just something magical about pressing up a little off the edge i have to look in to this more. Good stuff echo and your opponents are very good aswell.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
I haven't watched all yet, but I have one thing to say so far: you barely whistle. In the match versus the ZSS, you wouldn't have SD'd if you had your Pikmin in order.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I haven't watched all yet, but I have one thing to say so far: you barely whistle. In the match versus the ZSS, you wouldn't have SD'd if you had your Pikmin in order.
Yea these matches are friendlies not tournament matches. Mistakes were made on both sides.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
The matches against Snake were good and it's definitely obvious how easy easily won matches turned into losses or tight wins. With all of his timed projectiles, Snake's goal is to control the stage and inhibit your movement and attack options. You used pikmin throw very effectively, and your dodging was good, but maybe the answer is to always just be in snake's face ready with dmash and grabs and tilts even. It also gets tricky when recovering (that tactical thread where everyone unanimously agrees that Olimar has the absolute worst recovery pisses me off). Between Snake's Usmash mortars, mines, and edgegrab, there's a lot to get around. I read somewhere that you can hit an opponent on the ledge with an Uair, which can buy some extra time before a second jump or UpB, maybe hitting them off or tricking them to get up. I've found the strategy of throwing all pikmin when I have two or three and UpBing with just Olimar actually gets some extra range to grab the edge.

Maybe that's a recap and nothing too new, but you've got my vote as a top Olimar player now.

Neb

Smash Lord
Nice job, its always fun to watch your matches. Loved the pikmin tether K.O in the first brawl!

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
good videos
i noticed that you didn't use the tilts a lot, any reason why?
tilts against a snake is a bad thing to do b/c of snakes long reach its best to keep ur distance as well and just use ur pikmin reach to get him

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I did this technique quite a few times on accident but I was actually in the process of perfecting it and making it playable...you definitely beat me to it...however, if you can master it...awesome!

For the vids - finally! I was really excited to finally watch and see how you've progessed...I feel very cool to be able to say that you and I play similar which I guess means I'm going in the right direction lols...oh man though - el cancel is a really good snake - the fd match was frustrating to watch...:D...not a fun snake to fight at all :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't watched them all b/c I'm at a friends house trying to upload some videos :), but I'm kinda skeptical of the technique you use. If you miss, they can get back to the stage easily and edgeguard you. You'll be in a bad spot. I'll have to see the rest. Keep it up!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Good question about the up b edgeguard: If you do it right are you still in freefall afterwards? As in, is it possible to platform cancel the up b this way into an aerial, or do it on regular platforms (like Battlefield). I could see that being potential for mindgames if it works.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Good question about the up b edgeguard: If you do it right are you still in freefall afterwards? As in, is it possible to platform cancel the up b this way into an aerial, or do it on regular platforms (like Battlefield). I could see that being potential for mindgames if it works.
Yes - you freefall that why it applies to edgeguarding...its possible to do on other platforms but you need to grab the edge to really make it work like it is proposed...

P.S. - Echo - your taunts need work ;)

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm kinda skeptical of the technique you use. If you miss, they can get back to the stage easily and edgeguard you. You'll be in a bad spot.
I'm not quite sure if I follow. How could they easily edge-guard since if you do it right your already clinging and should be able to get back up on the stage before they get back. I really don't think there is any risk involved if have the timing down (if not you might kill yourself). Either way I don't think its a move to use all the time but it can certainly surprise people and using it with the grapple extending towards the stage has its uses too.

P.S. - Echo - your taunts need work ;)
agreed

Unfortunately it does put you in freefall(eventually it takes a while for the free fall to activate... you can't do anything during the activation time either), so besides getting a hit in as you fall (it has a good bit of landing lag though) I see little use for this move with platforms. You can though, do it off a platform (like at battlefield) straight to edgehog.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not quite sure if I follow. How could they easily edge-guard since if you do it right your already clinging and should be able to get back up on the stage before they get back. I really don't think there is any risk involved if have the timing down (if not you might kill yourself). Either way I don't think its a move to use all the time but it can certainly surprise people and using it with the grapple extending towards the stage has its uses too.
I mean edgeguard as in they're next to the edge while you're hanging there. If you miss, they can ff next to the edge where you hang. They have to upper position on you if you miss or they dodge or somethin. that's all.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I disagree that he's the top Olimar player, but I still think he's good. His tactics are kind of nice, I wasn't really a fan of his ground game much, but his Pikmin Throw, air game and Up Bs were nice.

castlevania-fan

Smash Rookie
save ur midair jump till u get 2 the edge,
1:DI to the edge
2:jump>u-air(or fair/dair)
3:THEN upB!
These were friendlies I am pretty sure he already knows that. I mean just because he is one of the best doesn't mean he is perfect.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Good point Mch12, that is something that i have been working on myself, and it works great. Also this isn't just for Echo, but anyone who uses Olimar...his nair PWNS!!!!!! Seriously his nair is so useful. Its great for coming in from up-top and use it, then it stuns them and you can usually upsmash, or dsmash. It is great for racking up damage and even great for kills. Try it, use it, love it! Olimars nair pwns!!

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Thanks for posting the videos Echo. I always found your vids very fun and exciting to watch...but I wasn't as impressed as when I saw those Echo vs. Karn and Echo vs. Lozr vids.

Your gameplay just didn't seem as sharp and as tightly packed as it were before. You were too defensive for my liking. You always seemed to use your Side-B when the enemy was very close.

nevershootme

Smash Master
is there any way you can make a separate video demonstrating this technique? cuz the match videos are pretty iffy to spot which ones that you're actually doing it.

I could have sworn this was done before by someone else, but it was never documented, but whatever.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I disagree that he's the top Olimar player, but I still think he's good. His tactics are kind of nice, I wasn't really a fan of his ground game much, but his Pikmin Throw, air game and Up Bs were nice.
save ur midair jump till u get 2 the edge,
1:DI to the edge
2:jump>u-air(or fair/dair)
3:THEN upB!
I think a lot of the people on these Olimar forums have become accustomed to critiquing players whenever they post videos. :) Even if people do not ask for criticism. :) It's like an automatic reaction, here. You know, there are other reasons why people post videos, other than to ask for coaching, such as trying to show us a new technique. :)

Anyways, thank you for posting those videos, NC-Echo. I've never seen an Olimar user actually use this technique on purpose. I can see it coming in handy. Thanks for sharing this bit of knowledge to the rest of forum.

...AH, reflex! - I DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY YOU USED OLIMAR. YOU SHOULD USE TILTS MORE. YOU ARE NOT WHISTLING ENOUGH. YOU NEED TO BE BETTER. YOU NEED TO DO THIS AND THAT. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR INTENTIONS FOR POSTING THESE VIDEOS AND MAKING THIS THREAD TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH US. YOU JUST NEED TO DO THIS, THIS, AND THIS BECAUSE I'M GOD WITH OLIMAR AND I KNOW WHAT TO DO, OK? [/end critiquing reflex]

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting the videos Echo. I always found your vids very fun and exciting to watch...but I wasn't as impressed as when I saw those Echo vs. Karn and Echo vs. Lozr vids.

Your gameplay just didn't seem as sharp and as tightly packed as it were before. You were too defensive for my liking. You always seemed to use your Side-B when the enemy was very close.
I used side-b when I was close because I playing against characters where I could afford to, vs. Rob and Marth you cant.

Either way like Gazelle pointed out I wasn't looking for critique with these videos. I was simply showing off a new technique that I haven't seen utilized before and showing off some matches with another of North Carolina's top players.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Wow, Gazelle, are you having a rough day? At least for my comment, he did ask for help against Snake in the other thread, and I put it here because it had to do with the matches he posted. Of course for the technique he brings up, it seems like either you hit your opponent who is at a 45degree angle and you don't need the edge grab or your opponent isn't going to be hit by the UpB and you do need to edgegrab. Despite this, I think it's still a good one to have in the playbook just in case.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I think a lot of the people on these Olimar forums have become accustomed to critiquing players whenever they post videos. :) Even if people do not ask for criticism. :) It's like an automatic reaction, here. You know, there are other reasons why people post videos, other than to ask for coaching, such as trying to show us a new technique. :)

Anyways, thank you for posting those videos, NC-Echo. I've never seen an Olimar user actually use this technique on purpose. I can see it coming in handy. Thanks for sharing this bit of knowledge to the rest of forum.

...AH, reflex! - I DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY YOU USED OLIMAR. YOU SHOULD USE TILTS MORE. YOU ARE NOT WHISTLING ENOUGH. YOU NEED TO BE BETTER. YOU NEED TO DO THIS AND THAT. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR INTENTIONS FOR POSTING THESE VIDEOS AND MAKING THIS THREAD TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH US. YOU JUST NEED TO DO THIS, THIS, AND THIS BECAUSE I'M GOD WITH OLIMAR AND I KNOW WHAT TO DO, OK? [/end critiquing reflex]
Yeah, but some people even say that as if the best players can't make mistakes too. Even if it was a tournament match, where mistakes are usually more common, not less because of people getting nervous. No one's perfect, you know... Look at any video of anyone, and you'll see plenty of mistakes on both sides, regardless of who it is and if it's a friendly or not.

I liked the videos. :)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I used side-b when I was close because I playing against characters where I could afford to, vs. Rob and Marth you cant.

Either way like Gazelle pointed out I wasn't looking for critique with these videos. I was simply showing off a new technique that I haven't seen utilized before and showing off some matches with another of North Carolina's top players.
My intentions were not to critize your gameplay. If you believed so, then I crave for your forgiveness. Please forgive my excessive zeal. You seemed very defensive, however, which surprises me...

P.S. Buddy...If you want to be better than what you are right now, keep an open mind!
Is that why you didn't win that NC tournament...

nevershootme

Smash Master
I think this technique is a hit or miss at times, I did try to mess around with this technique today and all i get is a latch onto the ledge, yet i've only got it done once. how far off the ground when running do you have to do it?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
/cough cough cough...*make a combo video* /cough /cough /cough...lols...I love watching you play echo and you have a truly unique olly...its good to have the best player on the boards for olly be friendly...its more rare that it should be for good people to be kind...:D

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Man, I remember studying Echo's vids before the game even came out. It's funny; I've improved alot since then, but still not nearly enough. :laugh:

Cool vids, Echo. Shrink was right, you could at least do a regular side or down taunt. xD

I love how you make the the Fair hit so soon after your Dthrow. Plus the psudochain-grab was awesome in the snake matches. Can you do that with any character or just the heavy ones? Also, any tips for getting the Uair/Nair to hit more often? You seem to get that thing to hit almost everytime. X_X

Oh, and did you always main the Black & White Olimar? That's the one I use, too. :psycho:

P.S. Another technique I'd never seen before: grabbing the enemy and then just smacking them around a bunch, without even throwing?! Cruel AND unusual~! :bee:
(When would you say is a good time to start trying to do that? Mid-90% perhaps? >.>)

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
You should always press A after grabbing your enemy. There's a list of how many times you can hit per damage-ratio in the guide, I believe. It's called pummeling.

Top Bottom