• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

tw1n

Smash Champion
Also for El Paso-

Confirmed Car 1:

Erich
David
Kyle
Lewis
Zman/Tekkie ???

Confirmed Car 2:
Neil
JT
Me
Nolan
Zack/Tekkie ???
Somewhere in here I remember someone saying they can't go anymore. But either way, as Kyle said, we could ask Ronald to take one more person. Or we could even tell Lewis sorry there's not enough room anymore. He's not competing and he has no money so, despite being semi-mean and honest, it'd be better spent room on someone who actually cares to play and will play.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Bionic Sonic said:
This is the one topic that has motivated me enough to post. I've been lurking for a while and I have to say pro-ban arguments are solid. I'm not a pro smasher, but I'm an engineer. In engineering numbers are king. Quantitative observations trump anecdotal evidence. Overswarm has presented data. It shows that Metaknight is dominant. It also shows a trend, Metaknight mains are growing in number. Data also shows that Metaknights are taking more and more of the top spots. It's hard to not call this overcentralized.

Reading Omni's reply on page three shows contradictions. He says that Overswarm has an agenda to distort the metagame the way he wants it to. That Overswarm is appealing with emotional arguments. It's hard to take that argument seriously considering you clearly have a personal dislike for Overswarm, and that you are just trying to protect your main. Omni tries to discredit the data presented, without presenting any numbers to back his own arguments. Simply saying "data is inconclusive" is not a conclusive argument.

Now back to Metaknight. My personal opinion is that a Metaknight ban can only help Brawl. Fact is, tournament attendance is dropping. The status quo is not working. The game is slowly dying. If your hot air balloon is sinking, why not throw the giant elephant overboard. There is a clear disdain for Metaknight, anyone who has read the forums knows that. The Metaknight debate has gone on for over a year; a ban cannot be called a knee jerk reaction.

Now for my bit of contradiction. I will now present some anecdotal evidence to show overcentralization. Ally plays Metaknight now. Pretty much everyone knows this. A year or so ago, everyone believed Ally to be the MK slayer. That he would miraculously halt Metaknights dominance. Now he is one of them. Metaknight is so good that he can even entice the best player of the second best character to switch over. Ally's reasons to switch probably weren't just so he could win with less effort. But imagine if your an average player in the tournament scene and you want to get better, no matter what. That shiny Metaknight over there is gonna start looking awfully enticing. This is happening. More and more players are switching to Metaknight. It's killing diversity and interest in the game. A ban is the only thing that can stop this behaviour.

Now an emotional argument. Could you imagine the tournament landscape if there weren't a flood of Metaknight's. We could actually be talking about other people other than M2K, other Metaknight mains, and the two other players that can actually beat them. We could actually watch matches that grasp our attention, rather than just gritting our teeth, hoping Metaknight doesn't time out his victim again. I don't see Mike Haze, Boss, Chudat or Lain timing out people with their respective mains(If I'm ignorant about this please tell me).

Many players don't play Metaknight because they like him. He's just the necessary evil that they must employ to achieve success. Much like steroids, he gives an advantage, but he is also detrimental to the game. People must realize that a ban isn't a terrible thing. It doesn't mean that the game is horrendous. It just means that there is an aspect of the game that needs correcting.

Those are my thoughts on the issue. I've read 25 pages worth of posts, and this is my take on the issue. Pick it apart. Blast tiny grammar mistakes because you can't find anything else wrong with it. Talk about me being a hypocrite. Argue semantics. Take it for what it's worth...not much. Hell it's my first post, what could I possibly know?
Bionic sonic is amazing.

oh god data in the op: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263082

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Neil, I'm just posting to let you know I was pretty sad you didn't make it to Pound. Fortunately, my favorite people ever, the New Mexico Twins, were there and I had a great time with them. You probably already knew that by the **** photos I took with them, though.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Neil, I'm just posting to let you know I was pretty sad you didn't make it to Pound. Fortunately, my favorite people ever, the New Mexico Twins, were there and I had a great time with them. You probably already knew that by the **** photos I took with them, though.
Dr. PeePee, judging by your posts (where the first word is my name), your videos (where you topple giants like M2K), and your photos (where you hold up signs directed at me all in good fun), I must say, you are a really chill guy. Plus the Twins never stop talking about you here, trust me :laugh:
I do apologize for not attending Pound 4, and I will make it up to both you and New Mexico in the near future. I look forward to meeting you!

Everyone who is going to EP please say that you are, not who we think is going.
Now Neil- are YOU still going?
I am absolutely confirmed to go. The only problem (one which was just brought up today) is my mom's resistance in letting me drive down their with my own vehicle. She doesn't even seem receptive in letting us take my car and have one of you drive. I'll try to reason her again tomorrow about the latter, as I'm sure it's not an issue of trust.

Even if we lose my car as a possibility, I thought a third person mentioned an available vehicle a long time ago, which I can still grab a ride in.

Bionic sonic is amazing.

oh god data in the op: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263082
I was really impressed with the statistics Overswarm and Ankoku gathered as well as how they presented it. Also, Walker, although it's besides the point, I thought you don't really care about brawl anymore (and by extension, it's future)?

I think it's official: Avatar has created more freaks than any other movie in history. It tops LotR... even Star Wars...
I just saw the trailer for The Last Airbender yesterday, and I couldn't help but laugh at the omission of the word Avatar in the title.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr. PeePee, judging by your posts (where the first word is my name), your videos (where you topple giants like M2K), and your photos (where you hold up signs directed at me all in good fun), I must say, you are a really chill guy. Plus the Twins never stop talking about you here, trust me :laugh:
I do apologize for not attending Pound 4, and I will make it up to both you and New Mexico in the near future. I look forward to meeting you!
Haha yeah dude, likewise.

And keep those twins on a leash, they keep coming into the NC thread and pretending to be funny.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I was really impressed with the statistics Overswarm and Ankoku gathered as well as how they presented it. Also, Walker, although it's besides the point, I thought you don't really care about brawl anymore (and by extension, it's future)?
It was actually all OS. Ankoku just collects data in general.

Also, I bash brawl, but I do care for it's future, and MK being banned is important to that.

That wasn't me posting it, it was hahafunny >_>?
Oops. I couldn't link the post since it's DR, so I just copy pasta. I thought you were quoting yourself.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
caps WHAT IS OUR PLAN FOR EL PASO?

What time does the early group want to leave, I was told i'm in that one and I'm done with class at two.

tekkie

Smash Master
i heard it would be easier for the late car if i was in the early car (again, sorry zmang) and i finish class at two as well.

Alright: So. I just heard on the grapevine named my best friend Twin A...'ster' that our good friend Neil may not be able to provide a car, and seats are in contention. SO let me make this official, clear, and claimed via my urin

My seat in Erich's car is official, absolute, and those in the car already can have a bureaucratic veto to relinquish my seat with majority vote. If the car doesn't want me to go, then i have no say in it, will grab a cookie, and will move the **** on. I don't even know who the fifth person is...but lets hope they like me :p

Oh: this should be obvious, but just in case--No Erich, I will not actually be urinating on my seat in your car--just a reference to a Robin Williams joke in live on Broadway "mine, mine, nice car bob--mine now," etc.

And: David. That's jacked up and really disappointing. I replaced what I originally said because that's irrational on my part.

Where do you get off assuming that I 1) don't have money for this trip. I admit I don't have a job, but that is not the only means of acquiring money, 2) Don't care about the game. WTF!? I'm not even going to go into that, and 3) am not competing. Sure I don't usually compete, and certainly not at big tourneys like Genesis: I opted out for obvious reasons. One can argue the experience is awesome and so on, and I have no disagreement with that, however, I can pass on experience when its not my money on the line and there is no way for me to reap any reward from an investment like that, so its a logical choice to forgo competing. As for local tourneys, how many do I actually get to attend/even know about? Sure, that's my fault. wohoo.
Your entitled to your opinions, interpretations, and freedom of speech. I do not mean to pick a fight, but coming from a close friend, I must say its the biggest let down of the year, I didn't know you felt that way, and I hope your freaking happy.

Niel: FYI, my phone is lost/dead/emo/etc. I do not have it, so if you have tried to call me for a fest, like the great and curteous friend you are, and have got my 'phone is not in servicable area, yadda yadda yadda' my bad.

Sinz I :B :B :B you more. See--I have more :p

???How did my post come up twice? I didn't mean to post that twice, my bad, I would kill it if I could

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I am not sure if I will have room in my car, nor am I positive I'm going. I do want to go, but I have to get confirmation from my friends before I can give a solid yes. Also I might be dropping a couple of people off in Cruces on the way so my car may be full.

Also, Lewis, I'm positive David meant nothing by that post bro. He texted me earlier (before you posted this) asking if I could give you a ride.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
I'm hanging out with Lewis after class. I'll talk with him about his jeep being an option. Just note that it doesn't get the best gas mileage (~15-20 I think), but it would have room for 5 or 6 people. So if it is possible be prepared to have more to pitch in for gas. Again no promises on his jeep being an option but we shall see right?

And Neil keep us updated on your car. if we can take 3 cars then we would have room for setups too. And with Lewis' jeep we would have room for Walker as well. The hardest part is going to be talking to Lewis' mom about the jeep. But she likes me so again we shall see :D

:link:

tw1n

Smash Champion
ya i'm sorry about that earleir post lewis. I was in a really ****ty mood last night because of my mom =( no johns
tho. And yes this 5th person loves you =D

-phone reply

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
I got (New Play Control) Donkey Kong Jungle Beat yesterday. Fun stuff, but man, my arms hurt so much.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
@banjo I don't know about jungle beat cause I never played it but donkey konga was funn so huzzah!

@EVERYONE HEY LISTEN

So I can hold a fest tomorrow but I've gotta leave at seven. Still happy to hold it though if people want it :)

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
So I'll definitely be at the tournament tomorrow. Should be fun. Would be willing to team with someone for Melee if anyone wants to (and if there is a teams event?) Anyways, see you there.

Also, Neil, will you be there tomorrow? Can you bring my capture card por favor? Thanks :D

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Lewis is so broken when he posts.

Ronald, my attendance at the tournament tomorrow depends on how stupid my school is at science. If they're stupid, I'm going. If they're pretty smart and actually advance to the afternoon and evening rounds...then I probably won't make it until later in the evening. During the lunch break around 1 pm I could stop by the tournament, drop off my **** (TV + consoles + especially the capture card), and go back to Albuquerque Academy.

I'm just hoping those innocent little science girls get ****ed up tonight (whether literally or figuratively (or even alcohol-wise), I don't care) so I can smash tomorrow :laugh:

Lastly, I'll go to the fest at Nolan's later tonight (~ 7 pm).

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
He got banned. He is whining to me to try to get him unbanned.

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
Aw **** Neil are you diong Science Bowl? I hope you know my team was the 3 time state champion thank you very much. I'll pass some of my power onto you if you need it.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Haha yeah dude, likewise.

And keep those twins on a leash, they keep coming into the NC thread and pretending to be funny.
Ouch... Lol that's what I get for accepting your friend request DrPP!!!! Lol <3

Melee PR:
1. AlphaBravo
2. Gluv
3. Twin_A
4. ...
98. NesMain1337
99. New scrub just picking up the game
100. Neil/Sliraobe God/Aids :p

Oh snap.

Someone warn me when Neil yells "MONEY MATCH!" again >.>

:link:
0. Tw1n
1. AlphaBravo
2. Gluv
3. Twin_A

Hey AZ has forward listed at 0 lol

So <3 Lweis. We talked it over. I was in an effed up mood that night. Kinda mad about a bunch of ****. But its in the past haha

Top Bottom