• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I gotta say, even as a person who knows almost nothing about ARMS, I think it earns a spot in smash. Spring man and ribbon girl seems to be the only characters I recognize-as far as I know they're the face(s-or at least Spring Man is) of the series. I Definitely think the former show at least make it in, maybe Ribbon as an echo and someone else as a assist trophy or stage boss.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I kind of worry that by making the focus of the thread on too many characters it makes the thread title have less personality when people are scrolling down the list. I feel like it may also impact our ability to show up on fan polls as well and seem like a serious contender. My perception of Smash popularity is that when people see a character rated high on fan polls, it causes their popularity to snowball as more people check them out and start thinking of them more as possible characters. Much like an election, I feel that when we have too many candidates it makes our audience too split up. Like if people are voting for 5 different ARMS characters, then I feel like it's unlikely any of them will show up much on "top 10" or "top 20" lists. I think that Spring Man is the one we should focus on and I think it's kind of silly to expect any other character from ARMS to get in before him.

Of course, this is just my perception of how things work so I could be wrong.
At this point, the hopes of ARMS representation in the base game is the focus. The plan is once the main game has released, to make individualised threads for ARMS characters. I'm not gonna go nuts and make one for each but I personally am going to make one for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and Dr. Coyle, maybe one for Lola Pop.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At this point, the hopes of ARMS representation in the base game is the focus. The plan is once the main game has released, to make individualised threads for ARMS characters. I'm not gonna go nuts and make one for each but I personally am going to make one for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and Dr. Coyle, maybe one for Lola Pop.
ill see you in the spring man and lola pop ones

Veggi

Smash Champion
Ah okay! I just want us to mobilize early because Spring Man stands a good chance of making it in as DLC but we have to make sure we're on everyone's radar or else we can't build hype. Hype=votes

I want to make a full moveset for Spring Man once he gets his own thread. :ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::bobomb:

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay! I just want us to mobilize early because Spring Man stands a good chance of making it in as DLC but we have to make sure we're on everyone's radar or else we can't build hype. Hype=votes

I want to make a full moveset for Spring Man once he gets his own thread. :ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::ultyoshi::bobomb:
If you'll make a moveset for him, please put the "shockwave" he does after charging as a part of his moveset. Also I think Springtron should be an alt of him.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have no plans on playing Arms but my god, the aesthetic and character designs are so friggin cool that I'd absolutely love Arms reps in Smash. My favorite ones based on what I've seen are Ribbon Girl and Dr. Coyle. I'd love to see how their stretchy mechanics translate to smash and how they differentiate themselves from someone like Simon. Personally I'd love to see some Bionic Commando-esque swinging around the bottoms of platforms, but as I've never played the game I don't know how reasonable this would be. But darn it, it'd be cool!

The music is bangin' too. I'll be hopping into the Ribbon Girl and Dr. Coyle threads once DLC starts to rev up for sure.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Huh, I was looking all over for a Spring Man thread and was worrying I'd have to make my own until I found this! The ARMS roster has my fullest support!

...If you couldn't tell already.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It makes me happy to see Min Min is the second most popular option here.

I mean, she's Mr. Yabuki's main too... so hey, hopefully if they do add Arms content he can convince Sakurai to add Min Min first =3

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Realistically speaking we'd no doubt get Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl as an echo. Anyone else would likely be an assist trophy.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Realistically speaking we'd no doubt get Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl as an echo. Anyone else would likely be an assist trophy.
Eh, I don't believe there's no doubt that we'd get Ribbon Girl as an echo. Springtron and Max Brass, though not as popular, have more similar playing styles (ESPECIALLY Springtron who is literally a robotic Spring Man). Not saying that Ribbon Girl would never happen though. I still think she's quite likely, since she's pretty much the second face of the game.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Realistic isn't fun though. MIN MIN OR BUST!

I also doubt Ribbon Girl would be an echo. If anything, it'd make more sense for SpringTron to be the echo, since then the skeleton is that much more the same.

Last edited:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Honestly, the only reason I support Spring Man for Smash instead of my real favourite character (Lola Pop) is because he's the best representative. My more emotional side is probably begging me to support Lola.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Realistic isn't fun though. MIN MIN OR BUST!

I also doubt Ribbon Girl would be an echo. If anything, it'd make more sense for SpringTron to be the echo, since then the skeleton is that much more the same.
In that case she'd probably be a semi-clone then.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Even though I highly doubt we'll see Spring Man make it in, I still generally hold out some hope he could show up. His stretch arms and colorful design still interest me.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Overview:

Spring Man is ARMS's main mascot. He's a 20 year old boxer whose dream is to win the boxing tournament called the ARMS Grand Prix and to beat its commissioner, Max Brass in a fight. His arms look like springs and can stretch very far out which allows him to punch people from a safe distance. He uses three different pairs of gloves, the Toaster gloves which look like an ordinary pair of red boxing gloves but when Spring Man charges up a punch while wearing them, they can actually burn whoever gets punched by them. His 2nd pair is the Boomerang gloves which look like boomerangs and can sweep opponents off the ground when charged. His last pair is the Tribolt gloves, a pair of green gloves that can each shoot three smaller fists. He also has the ability to deflect attacks no matter what gloves he's wearing and when he's hurt badly, his attacks stay extra powerful.

Why Spring Man should join:

ARMS is the 6th most successful Switch game selling more than two million copies already. It's a fantastic fighting game and this was just it's first installment. There are ways to make the next ARMS game even better. And of course a character who punches from far away would be very unique. His chances of joining the base roster are small since Ultimate's roster was decided in December 2015. However knowing that ARMS was a success, he may have a shot at being a DLC character.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Springman all the way!

Also I made a Ribbon Girl and Doc Cyole icon in the icon thread.

Makotoa

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2720-1558-5025
Totally agree that he won't make the beginning roster because the characters were chosen over 2 years back. DLC makes perfect sense for the franchise. It wasn't as big of a hit as Splatoon, but was by no means a failure either. They'll definitely see representation later on. I personally think they'll just opt for making Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as swappable costumes for the same character, like they did with Corrin and Villager.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the final direct is coming and it's a big one at 40 minutes.

I don't think Spring Man will be in the base game but if they talk DLC...

Staarih

Smash Master
So, Spring Man confirmed as an Assist Trophy and Ribbon Girl gets a Mii costume. I appreciate ARMS getting some representation, much like XC2, even though it's a newer game. Shame for no playable character though, and I kinda find one unlikely as DLC either with what Sakurai had to say about Rex and his Mii costume. Though I guess technically someone other than Spring Man or Ribbon Girl could make it (Twintelle? Min Min?), but I'm kinda thinking this'll be all the ARMS content we get. It's definitely better than nothing though, but we'll see how things pan out.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I honestly thought Spring Man would be the first for DLC; however, maybe you guys would be interested in joining the #UpgradedAssists movement that the Isaac Support Thread has started up. There is a bigger chance with more numbers and was wondered if you wanted to team to get our characters playable.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I honestly thought Spring Man would be the first for DLC; however, maybe you guys would be interested in joining the #UpgradedAssists movement that the Isaac Support Thread has started up. There is a bigger chance with more numbers and was wondered if you wanted to team to get our characters playable.
What movement is this?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What movement is this?
The movement is to convince Sakurai to release a new wave of DLC featuring only promotable Assist Trophies as playable characters and we would like to add the ARMS group to our faction. With more people the movement is sure to work or at least get Sakurai's attention.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm actually even surprised Spring Man made it as an assist. His franchise wasn't even made during Ultimate's development which began in 2016 I believe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The movement is to convince Sakurai to release a new wave of DLC featuring only promotable Assist Trophies as playable characters and we would like to add the ARMS group to our faction. With more people the movement is sure to work or at least get Sakurai's attention.
sounds like a plan

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
With Spring Man being At'ed i think Arms representation sadly is out of reach for this speculation round at least.
Of course Arms has different Chars as well, i really like Ninjara, but it feels like getting Vegeta in over Goku or Zeke over Rex... Spring Man is the Main Guy. He is the one representing the franchise. He should be in.

Me as an Isaac fan i really do hope that a second wave of dlc will get some ATs promoted like Isaac, Spring Man, Shadow etc. but i just don't feel that's something sakurai would do.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I actually dont think it's dire for ARMS or even Spring Man. With Nintendo picking the DLC, ARMS will likely be a series they look at.

What helps I think is Nintendo and not just for the promotion thing. Nintendo is seperate from selecting characters so I think the typical "deconfirm" wont apply here as it was never Nintendo making those decisions. ARMS doesn't have to use Spring Man. In fact, Ribbon Girl is just as much of a main character as he is. She's featured on the box just as much as he is. Even still, they could easily turn the Assist Trophy into Springtron while Spring Man is playable.

I think if Sakurai was picking, yes, he'd rule out Assist, costumes and spirits. But Nintendo may not. We already have stuff like Rathelos being a boss and an assist and Chrom is an Echo and part of Robin's FS so I don't think a character being whatever means they can't also be playable. I think there is a good chance someone from ARMS will make it.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Spring Man is:

A Mii Costume
An Assist Trophy
A Spirit

Not to mention all the other ARMS Mii costumes and ARMS Spirits

You guys don't need to worry. Spring Man is an Inklings-level confirm for Smash 6. Without a single doubt. I'm also sure ARMS music is coming for Little Mac's arena. Plus the Mii Costumes actually look REALLY good and kinda cute

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm also sure ARMS music is coming for Little Mac's arena.
...speaking of which...

Apparently the leaked music list doesn't have a single ARMS track - unless I've missed something. It probably means nothing but I find it curious as many other Switch titles did get music, even XC2. You'd think ripping a few music tracks straight from ARMS wouldn't have been too much of a hassle. As we know, the DLC packs come with music so that would be an ideal way to add not only a character but various music clips from ARMS. Maybe a long shot seeing as Spring Man is both an Assist and a costume (Ribbon Girl being a costume too), but who knows? While I was dead set on Spring Man being the rep for ARMS, I'm slowly accepting any others from the colorful cast, like Twintelle (popular in the west) or Min Min (popular in the east), or any other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom