• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New How To: Gliding

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Oh god.
Just imagine Gliding combined with Pit's Up + B.
He'd be unstoppable...I'm starting to think a future with Pit Banned from Tournaments is a bit likely now.
How so? Since the flight path is fairly predictable he can easily be footstooled to his doom.

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
Gliding is countered by that hopping thing, as others have said. Someone trying to get back on the stage? Gliding isn't a fast thing. Hop on them, hop back to the stage, they get KO'd.

In some cases, gliding may get you -killed- where other options could save you.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
...For some reason when I read this update all I could think of was a picture of Snake madly flapping his arms in an attempt to glide as he fell to his doom.

That was awesome.
LOL. Anyways, gliding is a fun addition. It isn't broken and can lead to new strategies.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Gliding is countered by that hopping thing, as others have said. Someone trying to get back on the stage? Gliding isn't a fast thing. Hop on them, hop back to the stage, they get KO'd.

In some cases, gliding may get you -killed- where other options could save you.
/signed
Great post =)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I bet Paper Mario can glide if he's in the game. He'd drift through the air like a piece of paper.

cazoup

Smash Apprentice
hmm charzard can glide pretty good now but can u amagine if he lost weight ...... wow he would be a speedy glider........ or maybe hes just big boned. either way he should eat at subway more befor entering this game. or maybe follow one of richard simmons vids and diet plans. hehe

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he could quick-change to airplane mode? The physics are exactly like the aforementioned diagram.

We Require more Ridley.

YOU REQUIRE MOAR VESPENE GAS

Che.....doesn't Peach not have this same ability with her Parasol Umbrella?
Che.....this update can rot in Hades!!!:mad:
Why do you keep saying "Che"?
Meta Knight: Shuffle Loop. Like Mario's up B.
That's SHUTTLE. This ain't POKER. And Shuttle loop will have much more curve to it, if it's anything like the attack from KSS

This is awesome. I can see Mewtwo gliding too.
Mewtwo doesn't float on air currents, he levitates with psychic power. Ergo, NO GLIDE.

Considering how the footstool jump is based on another Mario mechanic, I don't see why this should be much differant.
Actually, FSJ is based on a Kirby mechanic.
Is it a general consensus that the level shown in this update is Lylat Cruise?
The platform looks like it, but the sky doesnt...
The sky probably changes over time, like every other stage.

What about Balloon Fighter?!?
What ABOUT him? :rolleyes:

The character I pick most likely wont be able to glide cause it just doesnt seem that great for me, however DJ into Glide into U-B would make for a lot of samus type recoveries which I am not liking. I prefer being able to gimp people and this might make the game a lot slower or less hectic at the edge.
What is DJ and how do you "gimp" someone?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LMFAO at people who think footstooling is a viable edgeguarding move, despite not having a hitbox and requiring perfect timing.

Dair spike >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Footstool.

As for gliding, its gonna be abused big time in higher level play, how?

You're fighting pit... You forward smash him, edgeguard time.. right? Wrong.

The Pit you're fighting isnt a total n00b. He smash DI's diagonally upwards, and glides back to the stage at the top of the screen.

I dislike this update. Footstooling I dont mind so much, it looks totally sweet if you can pull it off, but DIFFICULT TO DO, unlike ''hold a button'' which is what this game seems to think is a good idea for the most part. hold a button, jeez.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm thinking of short-hoped glides followed by L-canceled multi-hit aerial attack of Metaknight (the one he used in the trailer) as a possible combo/strategy.
Come to think of it, that would be awesome.

Im just worried that players with really good DI will be impossible to kill if they smash DI upwards, then glide back to the stage...

I mean how are you going to edgeguard them if theyre literally flying from the top of the screen...

Rash

Smash Ace
I dislike this update. Footstooling I dont mind so much, it looks totally sweet if you can pull it off, but DIFFICULT TO DO, unlike ''hold a button'' which is what this game seems to think is a good idea for the most part. hold a button, jeez.
The game is giving you more options, and is characterizing the fighters with new abilities in order to keep things fresh and interesting. I really don't see what the problem is.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The game is giving you more options, and is characterizing the fighters with new abilities in order to keep things fresh and interesting. I really don't see what the problem is.
The problem is they're making things like crouch cancelling, falcon's gentleman, and links hookshot AUTOMATIC, instead of requiring timing, they ask you to hold a button.

This does not make things intresting.

Drake3

Smash Ace
That's actually a really cool update and I think that the people complaining need to step away from the computer for a while. Honestly, to make gliding useful to you, you need to know how to use it. When to increase speed, decrease speed, and how you're going to dodge those projectiles while tilting up and down with perfect timing. The only thing I see this being used for is theoretically sweetspotting. Like tether recoveries, it's just another way to increase the challenge, which is always welcomed.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm..Pit's swords are connected in one picture, and not in another, and it's the same technique. I guess this confirms that there is some type of stance thing going on with him. (Even if it is just a visual stance, and doesn't change his moves)

lumpey

Smash Rookie
well sakurai prolly knows what hes doing, he realizes (i hope) that meta/pit can come back easily to the stage. so he'll put (i hope) a counter to glide, so the game's not broken.
well there are counters like d-air or FSJ, but when, as some said, top players DI upwards then come back at the top of the stage or do something even more disgusting.......wait, we already got a counter to that; *puts on a cap* IVYSAUR, BULLET SEED!!! then combo till death...
for other characters, they might have like strong u-airs or fast/long ranged up smash, and dont forget projectiles that can interrupt their nice and pleasant flight...thank you for choosing, death-to-glide-abusers airline, we all hope you wont come back on the stage.
what i mean is, gliding is predictable, cuz it seems to be pretty slow. and, if he comes back from/on the top of the screen/stage, well, just wait for him to fall, cuz he'll have to stop one day, since he can't change direction. yea, just wait below the glider preparing your grap or up-smash or whatever, if they start gliding then you shouldnt really care about edgeguarding; glide speed<<<<<<<wavedash/SHFFL/jumpspeed

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't know why people think that gliding is too cheap and will make it too easy for those characters to recover. It's just a watered down version of Peach's floating.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
There are two words that get thrown around a lot in Brawl discussion: broken and confirmed. I'll be taking the time to rant about the first one.

Lets rewind 6 years and imagine there was a blog with daily updates about the upcoming Melee game. Now imagine that we got a character profile for Samus that detailed her special moves and recovery. I can hear the complaints now, "OMFG! homing missiles, thats a broken edge guard, i bet she get banned from tourneys", or, "Bomb jumping and the grapple beam??!?! Broken as ****. Nintendo must be trying their hardest to ruin the game for everyone." Now Samus sits as an average character in the mid tiers.

In Melee, most of the KO's came from edge play. Very technical fast paced edge guarding that moved so quickly many novice players can't even tell what's happening. It looks like Sakurai is going to improve everyone's recovery to try to balance the amount of side/top KO's with the number of KO's that come from edge guarding.

I wouldn't worry about your favorite character getting stuck in the lower tiers because of a comparatively bad recovery. From what we have seen so far all characters have recoveries better than what we would have expected in Melee. Winged characters can glide, tether recoveries now automatically target ledges, Ike has a period of invincibility for his up-b, and you can see Mario covering a huge horizontal and vertical distance in the "You must recover!" update. How long is it going to take before people realize that the updates that first shocked them are going to become the norm for Brawl?

JPTight

Smash Cadet
thats true bob-e.
Charizard will probably be slow and have bad mobility so his gliding ability will balance that a little just like Pit is probably not very strong and fast. I'm guessing metanight moves like a heavier Kirby.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Since you can't turn away when gliding, it should be easy for the edgeguarder to time a footstool jump for a quick KO.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
Oh god.
Just imagine Gliding combined with Pit's Up + B.
He'd be unstoppable...I'm starting to think a future with Pit Banned from Tournaments is a bit likely now.

im pretty sure you cant use Moves after an UpB till you land on the ground.

hopefully brawl will be the same way.

Smash Ace
Ivysaur is going to be overpowered. I can feel it.
the thing that surprises me is that we SAW this technique in the 2nd trailer and must have overlooked it.

saberhof

Smash Master
so anyone who glides will be vulnerable to attacks?...or will you be able to attack during a glide. thats my doubt >_>..cause then there would have to be a way to cancel this technique pretty fast...this can maybe be used to link combos OMG =O!

Farca

Smash Cadet
I know alot of people like this, but I think this is one of those things people think looks good, but will end up bad.

Farca

Smash Cadet
so anyone who glides will be vulnerable to attacks?...or will you be able to attack during a glide. thats my doubt >_>..cause then there would have to be a way to cancel this technique pretty fast...this can maybe be used to link combos OMG =O!
you can probably exit quickly. If you will be able to attack mid-air, it would be WAY to overpowered.

Chari

Smash Apprentice
I think gliding is a good advantage cuz there is air attacks involved hopefully lolz :p

Top Bottom