• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New How To: Gliding

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they'll add the Wing Cap. Then everyone can do Gliding. Even if just for a while

NukeA6

Smash Master
I thought Pit had enough flying. Looks like Peach has a rival in the recovery department.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Mario gliding with cape please.
Tomorrow's Update: Mario Wing Cap confirmed!
...god that'd be awesome, if an item made you fly for a short period of time...have a battle with just those Wing Caps on...an aerial combat spectacular.

EDIT: Didn't see Phred's Post above me :p Great minds think alike :D

Rune

Smash Lord
Part of what? Tournaments? You do realize that most tournaments are open to whoever wants to play, right? It's not like I'm physically incapable of joining a tournament.
Found out about them too late to catch up, live too far away/don't have the cash to travel, parents won't let you, no friends to practice against.. tons of reasons why one would not be able to participate in the tournament scene.
And I don't see how anyone who's tasted and understood what the tourney scene and what it has done for Melee could state something like you did.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Found out about them too late to catch up, live too far away/don't have the cash to travel, parents won't let you, no friends to practice against.. tons of reasons why one would not be able to participate in the tournament scene.
And I don't see how anyone who's tasted and understood what the tourney scene and what it has done for Melee could state something like you did.
It does sound fun, I found some epic battlers at a tournament held at local convention.
I don't know why, but for some reason, continually trying to attack one another while the other does a rolling dodge for several minutes seems fun.
It's probably the pacing.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
This gliding technique sounds exactly like gliding with the yellow cape in Super Mario World for Super Nintendo. You can only go left or right, but you can dive to gain momentum and then soar upwards.

Maybe Mario then will be able to glide with his cape. He is the average guy, he should be able to do every technique even if he is not the best at it. I wanna see Mario wall kicking, foot stool jumping, gliding, and crawling.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I call I get credited for the term glide-cancel if you can attack right out of the glide lol.

The Bino

Smash Lord
you're forgetting that it isn't as if Smashes goal is to make everything balanced. I can see your complaints, but keep in mind that this isn't a "traditional-it-tries-to-keep-everything-balanced-tier-list" type of game.
No its not a "traditional-it-tries-to-keep-everything-balanced-tier-list" type of game... but Sakurai stated back when he started to make the game, that he was going to make this game as much BALANCED as much as he could.... so technically this game is being made with BALANCE in mind, at least thats what Sakurai said... unless Iwata or Miyamoto doesn't want it with balance, remember the reason we didn't have a deep single player mode in Melee was because Miyamoto told Sakurai to focus on the multiplayer portion the most and when multiplayer was complete to then make a singleplayer mode, and also don't forget Nintendo was trying to push Melee out the window to get it out for Launch with Gamecube, it was rushed, but this time Brawl has been in the works for 2 years this coming October so it should be golden

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I just have one thing to say...

I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! Er, for the most part anyways...

Ok, I'm done now.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
So... can you attack while gliding?

I see lots of people talking about midair "battles" while I never saw any implication that you could attack while gliding.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Two things.

1. Most of us already knew that characters will glide from seeing Meta Knight do it in the gameplay video. So even though it's not a crappy update, it still isn't a big surprise or something.

2. This will NOT make these characters "broken." Peach can do attacks while she floats, but they didn't mention that for these gliders, which basically makes them a gliding target that can't fight back. If projectiles like Link's arrows/boomerang/bombs or Samus' missles are able to stop them mid-flight, it's not going to be a very strong new ability. It's still cool and I'm sure some people will get sick at the timing for it and recover well, but it's not going to make things unbalanced at all.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I'm too lazy to read 10 pages of posts...but if WINGED characters can glide...can Peach? Hmm?
Ideas?

-Pm me about my sig if you have questions. ;]

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Why is it that the people who bash this update saying it'll make winged characters here? They don't have ANY proof for their claim. For all we know, with the exception of say Charizard, the gliders could be more floaty than Jigglypuff, thus making them in danger for Star KOs.

THIS ISN'T MELEE YOU BASHERS. SO CAN IT!

Binx

Smash Master
Im not sure if you could attack while gliding, obviously no one is... One idea I guess is to give certain characters a swooping attack or perhaps a specialized B attack during a glide but who can say for sure now. The character I pick most likely wont be able to glide cause it just doesnt seem that great for me, however DJ into Glide into U-B would make for a lot of samus type recoveries which I am not liking. I prefer being able to gimp people and this might make the game a lot slower or less hectic at the edge.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Gliding?

I just saw this. I feel like throwing up.

So let me get this straight

Pit :

2 disjointed hitboxes
Aimable projectiles
multiple jumps
incredibly hacks recovery (DI upwards, and glide back)

Sounds like jigglypuff on steroids.

Gliding is a ****ing bad idea. What the ****ing hell are they thinking, and doing to smash?

Yeah, this is gonna probably get me flamed. If you cant take my opinions as opinions and get personally offended by them and feel the need to call me vulgar names, then Im gonna say go **** yourself in advance, because I won't respond to it anymore.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Gliding?

Pit :

2 disjointed hitboxes
Aimable projectiles
multiple jumps

Gliding is a ****ing bad idea. What the ****ing hell are they thinking, and doing to smash?

Yeah, this is gonna probably get me flamed. If you cant take my opinions as opinions and get personally offended by them and feel the need to call me vulgar names, then Im gonna say go **** yourself in advance, because I won't respond to it anymore.
....Relax.

Reminder: THIS IS NOT MELEE. Most of the things you know for that game probably won't apply for this one.

Also, read my sig. It's very wise.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Reminder: THIS IS NOT MELEE. Most of the things you know for that game probably won't apply for this one.
That'd be pretty ****ing stupid considering melee didnt remove anything that was in super smash 64, aside from platform dropping out of a shield. (since it was replaced by spot dodging)

Im all for new techniques, if they make sense. This is just hacks recovery, broken, and exploitable.

DI upwards + Glide = pit is never gonna friggin' die.

Itll be fine for newbies who cant do crap when playing in smash, but mark my words, pit mains are going to make your life a hassle if they're experienced smashers.

I just hope wavedashing and JC shines are still in so my fox can kick the crap out of gliding jerks.

as for your sig, its a Crystallion quote and is therefore awesome because Crystallion is super cool.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I just get tired of people spectating that this game is gonna suck because of what they see from usually 4 screenshots. First, people bashed Footstool Jumping (which you can't exactly button mash to do), and now this.

For goodness sakes. For all we know
1) Gliders can't attack when gliding
2) They're floaty just as much if not more than Jigglypuff
3) If attack from the air, they might suffer the same fate as Melee Yoshi. Just that glide for second jump and if you're attacked, that's it.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
The whole update doesn't really tell us that much about gliding.

EDIT - One thing i assume though, is that the 'rules' of gliding are similar to any other game where you glide. You go downwards and you pick up speed, and if you go upwards you'll really slow down. I think it's safe to assume that. Otherwise it'd be flying, not gliding.

w00tingspr33

Smash Rookie
the one thing I don't quite like is the ability to glide upward
i think to glide upwards, you have to dive down first to get some momentum... it's probably not gonna be like you can just jump and suddenly swoop up into the air

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They better not f- up Peach's Gliding she seems to be the only one that can move back and forth while gliding

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Gliding?

Pit :

2 disjointed hitboxes
Aimable projectiles
multiple jumps

I'm not going to flame you. However you do seem to be overeacting a bit. Why do you think that gliding is a bad idea? What if your say Pit, Meta, or Zard gliding and you get hit out of it; then you go into the mode after you just air dodged?

I mean say Pit is trying to get back onto the stage and just as he's about to grab the ledge or even land on the stage you jump over and Footstool jump him to his doom.

I mean gliding is very handy but it does seem to be exploitable.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
the one thing I don't quite like is the ability to glide upward
You need the momentum to glide upward.
Sonic 2 for the Game gear comes to mind when I read this update. If you just tilt up, you will get a bit of air, but lose too much momentum and fall down. And if you tilt downward, you'll be plummeting to the ground. There will be an interesting mechanic here where to get the most efficiency out of the glide, you have to tilt down and up repeatedly.

It makes it something interesting that I can't wait to try out! :D

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I highly doubt that you can attack while gliding. Flying of any sort requires a lot of balance, and swinging your arms or legs around is going to throw that off. Although, if you could glide-cancel by using an aerial attack, it would make sense.

From the looks of it, Pit's going to be about the same weight as Peach, which would justify his gliding. Meta'll probably be heavier than Kirby, but still on the "light" side of average. But Charizard... he's gonna be a ***** to kill.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
I really like this technique!!

I don't really see it being too broken for the simple statement that was made towards the end of the update

Something to the effect of "if you stall out in midair..."

If you've ever used a flight simulator, you'll know that if you pitch too high or make too many adjustments too suddenly u can stall (which leads to you losing control of ur aircraft and plummeting straight to the ground)

If sakurai used those mechanics in that technique then it won't be as broken as people think it will be.

Unless after and aerial or attack you're able to reset your glide...

Cuz here's what will happen

The character gliding towards you can't change directions..

So u can follow their glide until they either attack, land, or stop their glide in midair

Think of it as a float that can't stay stationary in the air and slowly loses altitude while only going in one direction

How game breaking can that be?

The flying in MvC2 you're able to fly all over the screen

The function of this technique doesn't even come close to that

At most, aside from recovery, this might be used to soar over projectile whores

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
You need the momentum to glide upward.
Sonic 2 for the Game gear comes to mind when I read this update. If you just tilt up, you will get a bit of air, but lose too much momentum and fall down. And if you tilt downward, you'll be plummeting to the ground. There will be an interesting mechanic here where to get the most efficiency out of the glide, you have to tilt down and up repeatedly.

It makes it something interesting that I can't wait to try out! :D
That works in paper and in real world physics, but what if the lag switching between up and down in smash gliding is insanely long? that would put the up/down motioning as NOT being that effective.
Am i right, or am i just making this up? Haven't taken a physics class in 3 years, so excuse me.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This gliding techniques makes Pit more interesting to main for me. Some people are overeacting about this update. In the Smash Dojo update, if you're stalling in mid-air or get damaged while gliding, your flight is cancelled. You can't change direction, but you can change your angle. You have to use this technique wisely and mastering it is a good idea.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
This gliding techniques makes Pit more interesting to main for me. Some people are overeacting about this update. In the Smash Dojo update, if you're stalling in mid-air or get damaged while gliding, your flight is cancelled. You can't change direction, but you can change your angle. You have to use this technique wisely and mastering it is a good idea.
the thing is...mastering the gliding technique would be easy IF you could attack. Think of this, Yoshi's final smash gives him the ability to glide and attack. If Pit, MK, and Charizard could also do this, it wouldn't of made sense because it would be giving too much freesom to said characters

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
the thing is...mastering the gliding technique would be easy IF you could attack. Think of this, Yoshi's final smash gives him the ability to glide and attack. If Pit, MK, and Charizard could also do this, it wouldn't of made sense because it would be giving too much freesom to said characters
Then show me where you can attack while gliding in this update then.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Oh god.
Just imagine Gliding combined with Pit's Up + B.
He'd be unstoppable...I'm starting to think a future with Pit Banned from Tournaments is a bit likely now.

Top Bottom