• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New How To: Gliding

Dr. Strangekoopa

Smash Cadet
Curious... Do you suppose that it's only those characters with wings? Or could a jet-pack utilizing character be just around the corner... Or maybe balloons- GASP! Oh sweet lord... Not... Mr. Tingle?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
It says that your 'flight can be canceled', but does this mean that you can just midair and start gliding again, or are you limited to one glide per aerial session like Peach's float?

And can you stop gliding whenever you want? Or are you stuck once you start until you're interrupted? Questions questions.
I'm predicting that you can somehow stop your flight manually. >_> oh I wonder what characters will have the best recoveries in the game now, har har.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I hope it won't be that the flying characters will have a big advantage over the others and make the tier list imbalanced. Another MvC2? Mag/Storm/Sentinel all flying all top tier. Metaknight and pit are looking REAL good right now...lol.
yeah while these guys can fly/glide...I DONT THINK they can do what Snake and Wario have done in the trailer and THATS CRAWL!!!!....im pretty sure crawling will be used for something

l!l

Smash Rookie
It would be cool if Charizard could use flamethrower or something like that during his glide...

anyway, pretty cool move... cant wait to see how it works out during gameplay.

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I like this update, its making Pit look even more main material to me :grin: If what we saw in the trailers are any indication, gliding is pretty slow, plus Sakurai did say he wanted to put more emphasis on midair fighting, so he could give characters more moves that are good in midair or good for hitting people above you (maybe this is where Ivysaur's Bullet seed becomes useful?):confused:

l!l

Smash Rookie
I like this update, its making Pit look even more main material to me :grin: If what we saw in the trailers are any indication, gliding is pretty slow, plus Sakurai did say he wanted to put more emphasis on midair fighting, so he could give characters more moves that are good in midair or good for hitting people above you (maybe this is where Ivysaur's Bullet seed becomes useful?):confused:
You know, I was thinking Ivysaur's bullet seed attack was more for like, juggling...
but yeah, it seems a little bit more usefull now.

Weed

Smash Lord
yeah while these guys can fly/glide...I DONT THINK they can do what Snake and Wario have done in the trailer and THATS CRAWL!!!!....im pretty sure crawling will be used for something
Yeah, instead of JUST getting *****, now they're in the correct position.

Joking

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
erm no? peach cant glide up like these flyiers here :p
I beg to differ. It's just like a upgraded version of Peach's "float" ablity of Melee. You know when where she does her second jump she can like drift back on to the stage without losing any height.

Evolver

Smash Cadet
i know but pit & co can fly up and down (in an controlled matter) so its an much improved float ^^

thats why i would see peach floats and pit & co glides :)
2 different things :p

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I like this update. Pit looks twice as cool flying. As a Peach player gliding is my thing. Now all I have to is find a way to do keep Pit from being attack while flying.

Yet another thing comes to mind. Pit and Meta Knight seem to have many ways of returning to the boards.

Pit and Meta Knight: Triple wing jump.

Pit: Wings of Icarus. Allows him to fly for a period of time.

Meta Knight: Shuffle Loop. Like Mario's up B.

Pit and Meta Knight: Gliding. A way for them to fly back to the board, and to either rise or desend and gain speed.

Thus far, to me these guys seem to have the best recoverys in the game, and that won't make them easy to kill.

Hong

The Strongest
But so far, only Meta Knight seems to have some way of avoiding projectiles. D: (Dimensional Cape.)

It is clear that while Sakurai has put in great effort to enhance aerial game, he also emphasizes anti-air measures. So far, we already have Thunder, homing missiles and Falco's Blaster. Yesterday we got Bullet Seed, which is an attack designed purely for anti air. Though being able to angle your flight makes dodging anti air matters possible, but what if they anticipate your alteration of course? Thus you have aerial mind games. :p
Sounds like fun.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I like this update. Pit looks twice as cool flying. As a Peach player gliding is my thing. Now all I have to is find a way to keep Pit from being attack while flying.

You another cones to mind. Pit and Meta Knight seem to have many ways of returning to the boards.

Pit and Meta Knight: Gliding. A way for them to fly back to the board, and to either rise or desend and gain speed.

Thus far, to me these guys seem to have the best recoverys in the game, and that won't make them easy to kill.
Those are both probably pretty light charactures though, Metaknights probably only slightly heavier then Kirby and Pit maby around the same weight as peach.

Seems like Gliding won't be very usefull though as you probably go slow and can't change directions also assuming once you cancel out of it you will just fall.

Still I like the update though.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Those are both probably pretty light charactures though, Metaknights probably only slightly heavier then Kirby and Pit maby around the same weight as peach.

Seems like Gliding won't be very usefull though as you probably go slow and can't change directions also assuming once you cancel out of it you will just fall.

Still I like the update though.
I also thought of the same thing. These characters may be too Light and won't be able to handle high powered attack when they return to the stage.

But as far we know, no info on this has come up. The only thing we can do is wait and see.

lumpey

Smash Rookie
glyding will prolly count as third jump...though in the japanese site it says we can cancel it by attacking...is it getting attacked or just attacking? but in the english site they say "when attacked" so its prolly my misunderstanding..
.i can't understand wich person sakurai is talkin about on the japanese smash dojo, the glider or the opponent of the glider...maybe both...
he says, (my translation) "it can be canceled (the glide) by losing speed (slowing down?), or attacking."
oh well, i'm wrong anyway since there's the english site lol
ljust for fun, list of things we could do if we could stop gliding by like pressing A (we=gliders)
-we can attack, wich means gliding=/=third jump
-gliding doesnt count as third jump, so up/side-b AFTER gliding?
-edgeguarding becoming difficult for the opponent
-invincible ;)
ok whatever...now more realistic thoughts;
-gliding=slow, hard-to-manipulate move
-gliders=softy while gliding, very VERY vulnerable, so easy target
-glide=very slow to cancel/big lag when landing
-glide=third jump plz

so yeah this way its pretty balanced. btw, great update, sure it adds a lot more air-fight strategies...

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
From what I've conjuered up in my mind this is how I think gliding will work:

You know how Peach could only float for about 3 seconds then she falls? All of you think these gliders will glide until canceled though... why?

What I think is that you start gliding(and the glide isn't very fast), and overtime you become even more and more slowed down until you eventually just stop gliding like Peach's float but with a twist. It'd make sense on how in real life things actually glide at extremely slow speeds. This would also balance gliding out to not be the "wtf broken" thing some are worried about(and shouldn't be really...).

In my head I think I'm actually pretty spot on.

FEEDBACK AND OPINIONS PLEASE.

D

Deleted member

This is awesome. I can see Mewtwo gliding too.

Hheheheheh...can characters with capes glide? *evil eyes*

Mr.Midge

Smash Rookie
Seems to me you only get one chance to glide...

Performing a move in mid-air will cancel the glide as will being hit...

"Stalling or taking damage will cancel the glide"

Thus plummeting Pit and meta kight into the depths.
Also, I believe Pit and Meta Knight will be the two weakest characters (damage wise) and will be the easiest to knock off (Jiggsy-esc.)

Sauvie

Smash Apprentice
At first I was pretty much not thrilled by the gliding in the trailers, but now that we know that any attack can cancle them with as little as connection is actually a great little way to even things out. I am wondering if you can Glide out of Footstools or glide after footstooling though.

I like this update. Pit looks twice as cool flying. As a Peach player gliding is my thing. Now all I have to is find a way to do keep Pit from being attack while flying.

Yet another thing comes to mind. Pit and Meta Knight seem to have many ways of returning to the boards.

Not only that, but there fighting styles are very fierce.

Top tier material.

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
Pit - Single Jump off of a stage. Next Double Jump further out. At the peak of the 2nd jump, glide upwards. Shoot your aimable arrows over and over. When gliding ends, use Pits Up-B to fly back to the stage.

You could probably get lots of damge output without being able to get hit.

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
nice update, flying FTW

and i wont think it will be that good, because metaknight and pitt are light characters. so they still would die after a big hit, and charizard you have to switch often thats why hes strong.
and luigi, peach, samus and jigglypuff al have alof of airtime, so this istent that new
futher more i like what axion said, that mario could use his cape that would be awesome

and maybe some can crawl some can fly and some can do something else, maybe if you crawl you can walk againt the side of the level

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
btw people say that every week theres a new character, so that means tomorrow will have a challenger aproacing

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Nice new touch, looking forward to using it.

This week's updates haven't been that amazing. Friday's has to be epic.

Nothing is as epic as Ridley.

Top Bottom