• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Fox videos.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
You seem to go for a lot of unnecessary gimps, and you occasionally ended up SD'ing. I know these were friendlies, but some of the things (like standing lasers and fullhops) are really simple things to remedy. Basics are good, you bait responses well, but something I'd like to see is you incorporating grabs more as well as simply running away as a defensive measure instead of getting into a spotdodge battle. Your shield pressure game is also pretty impressive, but your techchasing needs work.

Oh and more lasers. Players new to Fox (like myself) tend to absentmindedly "jump into the ****" when they forgot about the holster dangling from their waist.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I noticed that I wasn't grabbing nearly as much as I should. Hell, there have been times that I didn't grab like, at all, for several games at a time.

Went to a smash tournament today. It took a while, but I've started to grab more again. Lasers, too. Overall I noticed that I just jumped into the **** too often. Especially against Peach. I lost a set to a player who doesn't even main Peach because he recognized that I often would make bad, linear approaches, and dsmash them. I caught on, and remedied this mid-match, but I did lose about 3 stocks to it. ><

I feel like I don't have very good control over my lasers, however. Just a technical aspect I'm working on.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that I wasn't grabbing nearly as much as I should. Hell, there have been times that I didn't grab like, at all, for several games at a time.

Went to a smash tournament today. It took a while, but I've started to grab more again. Lasers, too. Overall I noticed that I just jumped into the **** too often. Especially against Peach. I lost a set to a player who doesn't even main Peach because he recognized that I often would make bad, linear approaches, and dsmash them. I caught on, and remedied this mid-match, but I did lose about 3 stocks to it. ><

I feel like I don't have very good control over my lasers, however. Just a technical aspect I'm working on.
Glad my advice was at least partly on the money, good sign for me. I noticed you live in AZ, why don't you PM me around the time of the next decently sized tournament. Preferably in the Phoenix area, but everyone seems to live in Tuscon and Sierra Vista. :mad:

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you laser, don't forget that your opponent can approach YOU and **** you up

you need to be able to space and still actually play, instead of just switching into "laser mode" and being dumb about it

this is basically the biggest mistake i've seen people make when it comes to trying to camp; don't force it, and when you get an opportunity for a combo make sure you still take advantage of it

AprilShaw

aka Logan
The matches, especially the first one, were hilarious, haha. You seem to do well, and your Fox is pretty fast but you don't seem to have too much control. Try slowing down your game and playing a spacing/camp heavy game (I mean, camping without lasers), and you'll probably fix a lot of those issues pretty fast. Then just put everything together.

Best advice I can give to any Fox really is he's fast but not invincible lol. A lot of people feel like running in with n-airs and shines ablaze will be fast enough for their opponent to not be able to react, but keep in mind that's what most people are used to. Try and play slow but tricky then speed it all up ^.^

Anyways, your Fox'd probably beat mine so don't take my advice blindly, lol. Hope it helps though!

AprilShaw

aka Logan
The matches, especially the first one, were hilarious, haha. You seem to do well, and your Fox is pretty fast but you don't seem to have too much control. Try slowing down your game and playing a spacing/camp heavy game (I mean, camping without lasers), and you'll probably fix a lot of those issues pretty fast. Then just put everything together.

Best advice I can give to any Fox really is he's fast but not invincible lol. A lot of people feel like running in with n-airs and shines ablaze will be fast enough for their opponent to not be able to react, but keep in mind that's what most people are used to. Try and play slow but tricky then speed it all up ^.^

Anyways, your Fox'd probably beat mine so don't take my advice blindly, lol. Hope it helps though!

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you laser, don't forget that your opponent can approach YOU and **** you up

you need to be able to space and still actually play, instead of just switching into "laser mode" and being dumb about it

this is basically the biggest mistake i've seen people make when it comes to trying to camp; don't force it, and when you get an opportunity for a combo make sure you still take advantage of it

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Something I noticed; I fair MUCH better against certain players by completely omitting all technical from my game, including crucial things, such as l-canceling, and wave dashing. (I don't consider jump cancels to be technical.)

I have a bad habit of auto piloting, or losing control of myself and spacing badly. playing like this remedies a lot of things, because it allows me to focus more on exploiting their mistakes, without having to consciously monitor anything I'm doing.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Sometimes people worry too much about tech that they neglect spacing.

Which is why a scrubb Marth beats a somewhat okay Fox.

joeplicate

Smash Master
oh man that was a pretty bad double post, my mistake

auto piloting is a fox's worst enemy
try playing falco against someone who is much better than you, that might help

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Bah I double posted earlier... was lagging like hell I couldn't even get back to check.

Anyways, an important thing to remember is that you don't need lasers to camp. Camping/defensive play is much more all encompassing than running away and lasering. Try camping without using any lasers and you'll see lol.

Lovage

Smash Hero
when you do short nairs against falcon u should delay the nair so that it's strong until u hit the ground
lets u combo into more nairs and its harder to CC

Lovage

Smash Hero
of course

but in general, u wanna delay short nairs so that your foot comes out right before you hit the top of your jump, and then immediately fast fall. doing this lets you combo like 2-3 nairs together when they DI up, because your nair is strong even when you're almost at the ground, so you can hit them with a strong nair, immediately hit the ground and do another short nair, or do a grab, or usmash etc etc

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah basically, because late nairs are (should be if done correctly) strong the whole way thru, it makes it way harder to crouch cancel so he can't just take hits and punish you for it, he is forced to bait your nairs and grab.

it's godlike against sheiks who try to CC everything you do, cuz (if u do it correctly,) you can run circles around them with late nairs and waveshines until they fall from the nair

TresChikon

Smash Lord
So would this be a reliable way to fight chars who rely on CCC's?

Or is everything too situational to be truly safe? (compared to crossovers or mindful spacing)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
wtf

i thought u were TECHNICAL

it's a good method, but like everything u need to try it yourself and see how it works
Nah. I'm not very technical. I'm just good at random things that are supposed to be hard, like shine bair, shine usmash, illusion ledge-stalls, etc.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Shine Bair is 100% reliant on the other person's DI.

I can do low nairs now. Took me like 2 seconds to go "oh wait. This is how I do it." in training mode.

PB&J

Smash Hero
lovage is the man

and edge guarding marth with fox isnt as hard as u think..try cc shining it ***** him..besides is up air

peace

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I just kept treating Marth like Fox. =P

Oh, shielding at the edge, and shine oos ***** Marth. I forgot that even existed until like 2 seconds ago.

I'm letting random technical skill make me forget basic ****. =[

PB&J

Smash Hero
fox ***** marth's recovery..it just seems people are scared to hit him or something..u can shine bair while grabbing the ledge to cover 2 options

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
fox ***** marth's recovery..it just seems people are scared to hit him or something..u can shine bair while grabbing the ledge to cover 2 options
This isn't really true. Marth can space their upB so that if you try to bair them you would have to make it so you have to UpB to recover. Which is always risky if you miss against Marth. If you watch M2k or Cactuar you will see them protect their recoveries very well to prevent being baired.

Top Bottom