• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Famitsu pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The caption under the Dark Lord never suggested it was speculation. It stated that will be appear as an assist trophy.

However, it's Famitsu and, while it has an amazing reputation, it's not directly from Sakurai.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The caption under the Dark Lord never suggested it was speculation. It stated that will be appear as an assist trophy.

However, it's Famitsu and, while it has an amazing reputation, it's not directly from Sakurai.
Makes sense. Near confirmation, but not good enough.

On another note, I think his style for returning Assist Trophies is to not directly confirm they are them, just saying they're essentially back via a picture and a fun caption. He did that to Starfy and Andross.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Makes sense. Near confirmation, but not good enough.

On another note, I think his style for returning Assist Trophies is to not directly confirm they are them, just saying they're essentially back via a picture and a fun caption. He did that to Starfy and Andross.
Don't forget Nintendog and Waluigi!

I think it'd be cool if the Dark Emperor was an Assist Trophy, but I'll wait until an official confirmation from Sakurai or elsewhere.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sheik is coming back.

The Knight is an assist Trophy. Nothing has to be said. Staffy was shown asan assist trophy and Sakurai didn't say ****. Just said he was yellow.
...Absolutely none of this is a fact. Starfy wasn't even shown as an Assist Trophy, just that it existed. Same with Andross.

Maybe all of that will be the case, and I even hope so, but zero of that is confirmed for those exact roles.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
...Absolutely none of this is a fact. Starfy wasn't even shown as an Assist Trophy, just that it existed. Same with Andross.

Maybe all of that will be the case, and I even hope so, but zero of that is confirmed for those exact roles.
What the **** else could they possibly be? They're either Assist Trophies, playable characters, or stage hazards, and for some reason I seriously doubt Andross is going to be a stage hazard on Mario Galaxy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What the **** else could they possibly be? They're either Assist Trophies, playable characters, or stage hazards, and for some reason I seriously doubt Andross is going to be a stage hazard on Mario Galaxy.
And why are you swearing at me? That was absolutely unnecessary.

I see them as possibly being a special type of stage hazard. Both come from space, and they could actually show up only in those types of stages. Sakurai didn't confirm their role, so it's nothing but speculation for now. There is no confirmation, regardless of "deductive reasoning", since that doesn't confirm jack. Theories are not facts for any wiki, which is what I'm talking about, the purpose of adding factual content to a wiki, not solely speculation.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I see them as possibly being a special type of stage hazard. Both come from space, and they could actually show up only in those types of stages. Sakurai didn't confirm their role, so it's nothing but speculation for now. There is no confirmation, regardless of "deductive reasoning", since that doesn't confirm jack. Theories are not facts for any wiki, which is what I'm talking about, the purpose of adding factual content to a wiki, not solely speculation.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Are you seriously considering Andross to be a stage hazard on Mario Galaxy? Really?

In this case, it IS a matter of deduction. Characters can be playable, Assist Trophies or stage hazards. Stage hazards are related to the series the stage comes from.

So, Andross isn't a playable character, as he doesn't have a page on the website. The stage shown is Mario Galaxy, a stage from the Mario series, while Andross is from the Star Fox series. Finally, Andross is an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Long story short, he's not playable, not a stage hazard and is an Assist in Brawl. What is the logical conclusion you can draw from all of this?

Seriously, why the hell would Andross be a stage hazard on Mario Galaxy? That's insane logic and you know it. Just because Sakurai doesn't explicitly tells something, it doesn't mean you can't use logic to deduct what's going on in a picture.

Now, if Andross was shown on a SNES Star Fox inspired stage and there was no mention of it being an Assist Trophy, then you could logically assume that it could be a stage hazard, but even so, the picture would be unclear on whether Andross was a stage hazard or an Assist Trophy. Something familiar here?
Should be, as this is the exact same situation as the Dark Lord and the Find Mii stage. The Dark Lord could be an AT or a stage hazard, as both possibilities are valid considering the picture's content. Of course, Famitsu has stated that the Dark Lord is an Assist Trophy, so this is no longer an issue, unless the information happens to be wrong, something I doubt considering Famitsu's reputation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Are you seriously considering Andross to be a stage hazard on Mario Galaxy? Really?
And other space-like stages. Yes. I did not say "just" for Mario Galaxy. Same applies for Starfy.

If it ain't directly confirmed, I'm skeptical of its role. No deduction confirms anything regardless. It's still speculation in the end. Doesn't matter what anybody says; Sakurai didn't say he was an Assist Trophy, therefore, his role is unknown.

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the context here as well; I'm talking about not updating a Wiki full of unconfirmed information like this, regardless of how "obvious" or "likely" it is. This has nothing to do with opinions or beliefs. It's simply avoiding adding non-confirmed stuff, nothing more.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm going to gather a guess and say you didn't read the context of my messages as well; I'm talking about not updating a Wiki full of unconfirmed information like this, regardless of how "obvious" or "likely" it is. This has nothing to do with opinions or beliefs. It's simply avoiding adding non-confirmed stuff, nothing more.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Adding information that could end up being false isn't a good idea, even if the probabilities of said information being false is close to zero. A fairly understandable point, if I do say so myself...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair enough, I suppose.

Adding information that could end up being false isn't a good idea, even if the probabilities of said information being false is close to zero. A fairly understandable point, if I do say so myself...
That's entirely what I meant. I did edit my message a bit ago since it sounded a bit aggressive. Although you quoted the old one before the edit. Apologies, I didn't mean to accuse anyone of that. I don't follow Insane Troll Logic either, I just look at what could legitimately happen, since Sakurai is that unpredictable. The main point was we don't know enough to add it to the Wiki alone, that's all. Or any other Wiki. I don't mind speculation, if it's allowed, but, well, yeah. That's fun to do~ As long as people avoiding sniping and name-calling for different opinions, anyway.

As I said earlier, it'd be nice if people didn't act so aggressive towards me for thinking it's possible he didn't return them as Assists. I did make a theory that he didn't mention it because he thought we'd find it obvious. See the post near the top of this thread for what I mean.

That said, I think it's better when Sakurai directly confirms something instead of making it pretty obvious, so we can properly update our Wikis.

That said, still better than most rumor leaks. :p

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
andross and starfy are 100 % an assist, i can say that with no shred of doubt

Now you're just splitting hairs.

There is such a thing as over speculation, and by doing so you tend to miss the obvious. Things tend to transition between games, and believing that such radical changes to familiarity are possible is ridiculous and furthermore suicidal for game development. Pokemon aren't just going to randomly show up and wreck everything, Ray guns aren't going to launch grenades at the enemy, some things stay the same for the sake of familiarity.

Not everything requires a complex explanation. The theories like franchise canons and relevancy don't mean anything and should never affect creative control in game development.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I won't 100% believe anything until either it is directly announced bySakurai or when I see it in the game upon release. That being said, while Starfy and Andross are most likely returning AT's, I won't consider that 100% truth until Sakurai says they are or I see them in the game once released. This is the case with the Famitsu information as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Warning Received
HyperFalcon logic at work, ladies and gents.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I completely agree with Frostwraith and EPF. I mean, come on...Sakurai knows his target audience. Even though Smash is a pick-up-and-play title, he knows the people who stay up until 3 am to see what update comes out every day of the week - his fans of the series. I don't know why people bother arguing about stuff that is solid fact. That's like looking at Mario's fireball and saying YOU DON"T KNOW IF ITS HIS NEUTRAL B OR NOT. JUST BECAUSE ITS BEEN THAT WAY IN ALL 3 GAMES DOESN'T MEAN A THING

Come on now, kids, let's use our brains

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now you're just splitting hairs.

There is such a thing as over speculation, and by doing so you tend to miss the obvious. Things tend to transition between games, and believing that such radical changes to familiarity are possible is ridiculous and furthermore suicidal for game development. Pokemon aren't just going to randomly show up and wreck everything, Ray guns aren't going to launch grenades at the enemy, some things stay the same for the sake of familiarity.

Not everything requires a complex explanation. The theories like franchise canons and relevancy don't mean anything and should never affect creative control in game development.
No. It's more like "he didn't announce them as Assist Trophies, therefore we can't confirm their status without our own copy of the game, and hope the final copy keeps it the same." That's how it goes.

None of that confirms jack. Patterns don't mean jack. He didn't confirm it, that's how it is. End of story. Nothing will change that fact. He may never confirm it either. We may have to wait till the game is released to confirm it ourselves. He hasn't confirmed everything after all.

There is no such thing as overspeculation whatsoever. Looking at all possibilities just means you're keeping an open mind, not a closed one and going off a lack of information to pretend something is confirmed. I will not be satisfied until it can be legitimately confirmed. For now, it's mediocre information and nothing more.

Warning Received
No. It's more like "he didn't announce them as Assist Trophies, therefore we can't confirm their status without our own copy of the game, and hope the final copy keeps it the same." That's how it goes.

None of that confirms jack. Patterns don't mean jack. He didn't confirm it, that's how it is. End of story. Nothing will change that fact. He may never confirm it either. We may have to wait till the game is released to confirm it ourselves. He hasn't confirmed everything after all.

There is no such thing as overspeculation whatsoever. Looking at all possibilities just means you're keeping an open mind, not a closed one and going off a lack of information to pretend something is confirmed. I will not be satisfied until it can be legitimately confirmed. For now, it's mediocre information and nothing more.
Dude you sound like a tool. Through simple deductive reasoning you should be able to conclude what something is. Assist Trophies were in the last game, Andross was an assist trophy, therefor, since assist trophies have returned to this game and we now see Andross, I can now conclude that he is once again an assist trophy.

If patterns didn't mean anything then why do characters, stages and items stay the same throughout the franchise? You're just saying they don't mean anything without explaining why patterns don't mean anything.

Whatever bruh, I'm done. Some things should be common sense, but from the look of it common since is not so common.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Deductive reasoning is not the same thing as confirming something. Please don't confuse them.

We don't know their official role. We can only guess. That's actually how it is right now. Those are completely legitimate theories.

There is no "it's a fact it's a returning Assist Trophy." There is "There's a really good chance it's a returning Assist Trophy." I only accept the latter, but will not accept the former till Sakurai legitimately confirms it. Or we get a lot better information than "hints" only.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This is an argument that is going nowhere on both sides, so drop it.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Ahh, March. Back when we didn't know stage bosses were a thing. Granted, it probably would have only added a third side to the argument.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In regards to the whole "it's not confirmed until explicitly stated" thing, that's a very regressive attitude to have.

Every puzzle has an answer. Puzzles by nature give you all of the information you need to make the correct deduction, even if the form of said information is incredibly abstract.

So if Sakurai posts a picture on Miiverse of a character that definitely isn't playable, like Andross, whom was also an Assist trophy in Brawl, but he's ALSO being portrayed on the Mario Galaxy stage, where he clearly doesn't come from franchise wise, then that's basically Sakurai confirming, through a puzzle, that Andross is once again an Assist Trophy.

D

Deleted member

Seriously guys?
I see this thread pop up in the latest posts and I thought it was for actual new Famitsu pics, not a bumping of an old thread.
-_-

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please don't bump old threads.