• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New England Smash: Mass Madness 5A

Brookman

Smash Hero
Hi everyone, as you may or may not know: recently, Matthew Zaborowski has been WORKING his *** off traveling and recording at regional events. At this point he is solely involved in the capturing and processing of sets/commentary and If you APPRECIATE the work he is doing, you may be inclined to DONATE to the purchase of his new external hard drive.

Further details to come. Any contribution will be welcome as soon as our paypal is set up and all proceeds will go to the new HDD (matt quit smoking pot so you know that's true ;D )

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STAY3000102/dp/B0056YNA1Q

this is the product we're looking at. If anyone has any other product recommendations we're open to suggestion

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how much storage you actually need Matt, but if you're going to be spending in the 150 - 300 range you should go for a solid state drive. There will be MUCH less space, but the speed is on another level. 3 TB seems to me like an unnecessary amount of space.

Any questions about solid state drives if you are not familiar - click this link: http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/solid-state-drive

Some decently priced and high quality drives:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-trade-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337279161&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-SuperSpeed-USB2-0-External-35142/dp/B0047ZGNJ6/ref=pd_cp_e_0

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-trade-External-Portable-Silver/dp/B005EGXXZY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Thank you for the suggestion Joe. I'll look into that more.

In terms of the space needed:
Think of it like this; a 10minute raw video file is 2.3GB.
So, roughly 10sets = 23GB
I'm recording ~20 sets per tournament (Not including Draft Crews and Side tournaments that I've recorded)

So 1 tournament on average amounts to 50GB (Rounding up)

I have 6 tournaments worth of data on my external which has amounted to 306GB (It was 150GB more before I deleted non-tournament footage earlier this day)

With what we have in store for New England this summer, which is 9 tournaments (though I may only be attending 8), and that more and more sets are being recorded I don't think it's a stretch to have 3TB. I'm erring on the side of caution and to have the largest amount of space available. I also need to begin moving edited video files from my internal harddrive to my external harddrive as I'm running out of space on my internal as well, so that adds an extra 4-5+GB per tournament to my external.

So over the course of this summer I imagine at least 400GB more of raw footage, and another 40GB of edited footage.

Streaming footage is going to be captured soon too, and I don't know if that will result in higher or lower data files than just capture card footage.

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
Man, that's a lot of footage. Solid state is not the best idea in this case, way too much money. (Sucks though, because it would save you a ridiculous amount of time.)

Make sure whichever drive you get has esata(and make sure your pc has the esata port) or USB 3.0 if you do not go with solid state

Moooose

Smash Champion
Thank you for the suggestion Joe. I'll look into that more.

In terms of the space needed:
Think of it like this; a 10minute raw video file is 2.3GB.
So, roughly 10sets = 23GB
I'm recording ~20 sets per tournament (Not including Draft Crews and Side tournaments that I've recorded)

So 1 tournament on average amounts to 50GB (Rounding up)

I have 6 tournaments worth of data on my external which has amounted to 306GB (It was 150GB more before I deleted non-tournament footage earlier this day)

With what we have in store for New England this summer, which is 9 tournaments (though I may only be attending 8), and that more and more sets are being recorded I don't think it's a stretch to have 3TB. I'm erring on the side of caution and to have the largest amount of space available. I also need to begin moving edited video files from my internal harddrive to my external harddrive as I'm running out of space on my internal as well, so that adds an extra 4-5+GB per tournament to my external.

So over the course of this summer I imagine at least 400GB more of raw footage, and another 40GB of edited footage.

Streaming footage is going to be captured soon too, and I don't know if that will result in higher or lower data files than just capture card footage.
idk if you want to but you can lower the recording quality and save alotttt of space. when i record i can usually get 2 hours worth for about half a gig. So you could do a tournament in about a gig. the quality will end up looking like the vids on my channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMarkLoo?feature=mhee, so its really not too bad imo

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
idk if you want to but you can lower the recording quality and save alotttt of space. when i record i can usually get 2 hours worth for about half a gig. So you could do a tournament in about a gig. the quality will end up looking like the vids on my channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMarkLoo?feature=mhee, so its really not too bad imo
I'd honestly rather not sacrifice quality, especially now that I learned how to make videos in 720p yesterday. (Expect Mass Madness vids to look HOT, people!)

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'm thinking I might as well put a little $$ where my mouth is, so I'm going to donate the first $20.00.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
get a 2Terra from best buy for like 100 thats where i got mine from......ALL DAT ROOM SON

PK Webb

Smash Champion
there r like 50 give him alot more time to do what he has to do.....ppl got lives to live

Banks

Smash Hero
I've beaten kyu puff and other equally skilled IC's before, it just wasn't my day for that matchup. kind of lost the will to continue as my third stock was being grabbed away

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
kyu puff? lol wasnt he in socal like a month ago? he goes to claremont colleges right?

dang i tap that foo's ***. NE is worse than i thought

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
lol adam you tap that foo's *** cuz you beat him once in tournament? NE is actually pretty good. i barely got to play with good players at all while i was in socal and when we played our tournament match it was literally my first game in like 2 weeks.

you may think i'm johning but you have the videos of our match right? just watch it and you'll see there's an obvious difference in the way i was playing.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
With the exception of 3 or 4 more all the videos I have are online.

I'm waiting now on Boxman to send me all the singles matches that were on the stream. Sorry I've taken so long guys! Been working 2p-10p every day this week except Tuesday and Wednesday (Worked 4p-9p Wednesday) so I haven't had all the time to work on these videos as I wish I had.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
lol adam you tap that foo's *** cuz you beat him once in tournament? NE is actually pretty good. i barely got to play with good players at all while i was in socal and when we played our tournament match it was literally my first game in like 2 weeks.

you may think i'm johning but you have the videos of our match right? just watch it and you'll see there's an obvious difference in the way i was playing.
hey, no disrespect

i like your fox. you should give up ICs tho imo

all my disrespect is to NE

and i've beaten you once in tournament... out of the one time we've played. we can money match if you'd like. i too have gotten better ;). i'd mm your ICs with my sheik, fox and marth and your fox with my falcon, falco, sheik, fox and marth.

i watched your match v banks. it's whatever. banks is a crappy sheik who doesn't know the matchup. downsmash? come on. it's not like you 2 or 3 stocked him for it either.

$50.00 money match or gtfo
done

i'll $5-$50 mm everyone in new england aside from korean DJ and darc (well, i'd $5 mm them, but yeah)

Top Bottom