• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
so i've been playing around with Bagan's ridley PSA for Project M.

and with a few things in mind (this is an alpha of an alpha, it's probably not how the PMDT would make him, etc), i have a few observations that i think need to come to attention for ridley wanters.
also keep in mind I'm trying to be critical of Ridley in general, not just Bagan's mod. it's just being used as a point of reference because despite Ridley's apparent demand and want from people, Bagan's mod is the only decently functioning one that exists by large.

Ridley can be put down to a decent size. in fact, in Idle position on the ground he seems like he could take up about the same amount of space Bowser does, minus the tail and wings. BUT. the instant he needs to stretch out for an attack he occupies an absurd amount of the space available. his tail is easily the biggest potential offender, he should not have the range that thing can give him. (and as a direct criticism of the PSA itself, the Fsmash just looks plain stupid). a supposed fix for this would be to put an absurd amount of lag on everything, despite this, it won't do much if he has constant reach over 2/3rds of pokemon stadium 2. I'd recommend limiting him to claw attacks, because (and again going from bagan's example) i can only see ridley's tail being Mewtwo 3.0 all over again.
his size, however, also lends himself to being absurd combo bait when someone does get in. if bowser has it bad, Ridley has it much worse. I'm not keen on the idea of that.
something smash in general does is make some very awkward animations, but because to the way the camera works and how fast they execute, you never notice them. Even with more experienced animator at the helm, I imagine Bigley will be quite harder to hide this sort of thing on.

however, it does do a good job of putting him in a believable light. I can imagine him functioning both visually and mechanically on a much more professional level, the only thing is that it's "why is sonic in a car?" syndrome. you want him in? okay. but he has to play fair with the rest of the cast. and to make him look good while doing it.

all this said, i'd still take a Dark Samus Semiclone over him any day.
it just seems much more doable, and with memory limits and whatnot it just seems like a much more feasable idea.
and I Love the Prime games.
And for the sheer hilarity of 3 different "Samus"s on the roster.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
No, no game should have 3 versions of the same character. If there's 3 Samus's then people will cry out for a 3rd Link and that will get annoying lol

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
No, no game should have 3 versions of the same character. If there's 3 Samus's then people will cry out for a 3rd Link and that will get annoying lol
while i was mentioning that as a joke, i'm just going to say we've been over this. Dark samus isn't samus. not like dark pit (ie a literal pallet swap and mood swing of pit). i think a more apt comparison is it's more like venom to spiderman. samus is cool human girl. dark samus is the reincarnated Metroid Prime, a murderous alien monstrosity that has some of samus' DNA in it, who assimilated one of her suits.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
while i was mentioning that as a joke, i'm just going to say we've been over this. Dark samus isn't samus. not like dark pit (ie a literal pallet swap and mood swing of pit). i think a more apt comparison is it's more like venom to spiderman. samus is cool human girl. dark samus is the reincarnated Metroid Prime, a murderous alien monstrosity that has some of samus' DNA in it, who assimilated one of her suits.
Don't get me wrong, ik dark Samus is far from a clone. It's just that hearing 3 announcer calls that have "Samus" in them would be a lil wack X) lol

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
so i've been playing around with Bagan's ridley PSA for Project M.

and with a few things in mind (this is an alpha of an alpha, it's probably not how the PMDT would make him, etc), i have a few observations that i think need to come to attention for ridley wanters.
also keep in mind I'm trying to be critical of Ridley in general, not just Bagan's mod. it's just being used as a point of reference because despite Ridley's apparent demand and want from people, Bagan's mod is the only decently functioning one that exists by large.

Ridley can be put down to a decent size. in fact, in Idle position on the ground he seems like he could take up about the same amount of space Bowser does, minus the tail and wings. BUT. the instant he needs to stretch out for an attack he occupies an absurd amount of the space available. his tail is easily the biggest potential offender, he should not have the range that thing can give him. (and as a direct criticism of the PSA itself, the Fsmash just looks plain stupid). a supposed fix for this would be to put an absurd amount of lag on everything, despite this, it won't do much if he has constant reach over 2/3rds of pokemon stadium 2. I'd recommend limiting him to claw attacks, because (and again going from bagan's example) i can only see ridley's tail being Mewtwo 3.0 all over again.
his size, however, also lends himself to being absurd combo bait when someone does get in. if bowser has it bad, Ridley has it much worse. I'm not keen on the idea of that.
something smash in general does is make some very awkward animations, but because to the way the camera works and how fast they execute, you never notice them. Even with more experienced animator at the helm, I imagine Bigley will be quite harder to hide this sort of thing on.

however, it does do a good job of putting him in a believable light. I can imagine him functioning both visually and mechanically on a much more professional level, the only thing is that it's "why is sonic in a car?" syndrome. you want him in? okay. but he has to play fair with the rest of the cast. and to make him look good while doing it.

all this said, i'd still take a Dark Samus Semiclone over him any day.
it just seems much more doable, and with memory limits and whatnot it just seems like a much more feasable idea.
and I Love the Prime games.
And for the sheer hilarity of 3 different "Samus"s on the roster.
Limiting him to claw attacks would be like limiting Link/Marth/anyone with a weapon to their fists. Keep in mind that in this mod, his tail is not at its minimal length (it can be further reduced to match SSBB Ridley's tail length, but because of how model is rigged, it will look warped) and tail itself it thin, so, it has thinner hitboxes (hitboxes can be made to be longer and thinner instead of just bigger). Also, that range is just a bit higher than Dedede's (tail blade gives it more range and not that much when Dedede uses attacks like FTilt), not 2/3rds of any stage.
Better comparison would be a knight and a living suit of armor mutated by some weird space virus and weird alien abomination. Its easier to understand without having to know any characters.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Does anyone they'd actually work on Saki? I've been kinda losing hope for him. There are, like, NO finished PSA's for him anywhere. And most of the other clone engine characters do. So I assume that he's near impossible to work with?
I think ZSS could be the perfect base character for Saki, she already got the multipurpose weapon, and the electric whip can be turned into a laser blade, i think it's possible.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think ZSS could be the perfect base character for Saki, she already got the multipurpose weapon, and the electric whip can be turned into a laser blade, i think it's possible.
You just had a stroke of genius my friend, I'm not even that into Saki but I realize how perfect a base ZSS would be

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
That's a really good idea! Then they'd have to worry about Saki's bullets, other attacks and whatnot, but i'll be happy with ANY moveset they'd come up with. I've wanted Saki since day one and think he'd fit in perfectly with Isaac and Lyn.
You just had a stroke of genius my friend, I'm not even that into Saki but I realize how perfect a base ZSS would be
It's comments like these that make me wonder if Saki even has much of a fan base..
On that note, most people seem opposed to him for some reason, for SSB4 and PM

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
We already considered Saki's best base to be ZSS a while ago. Here is the link to the original discussion started by BronzeGreekGod, don't forget to check the OP for any other posts if you're interested in any other characters: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-...ad-voting-closed.341479/page-14#post-15940491

On that note, I still see him as one of the harder characters to make right. It would take a lot of work that I'm not sure the PMDT are willing to put in for a character with as little exposure as Saki.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
That's a really good idea! Then they'd have to worry about Saki's bullets, other attacks and whatnot, but i'll be happy with ANY moveset they'd come up with. I've wanted Saki since day one and think he'd fit in perfectly with Isaac and Lyn.

It's comments like these that make me wonder if Saki even has much of a fan base..
Saki definitley has a fan base if he's requested at all, lol and sorry if my comment made you think I don't care about him. It's that I haven't played Sin & Punishment so I don't know Saki that well other than what he does as an Assist Trophy

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
We already considered Saki's best base to be ZSS a while ago. Here is the link to the original discussion started by BronzeGreekGod, don't forget to check the OP for any other posts if you're interested in any other characters: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-...ad-voting-closed.341479/page-14#post-15940491

On that note, I still see him as one of the harder characters to make right. It would take a lot of work that I'm not sure the PMDT are willing to put in for a character with as little exposure as Saki.
Saki is worth going through all the work. I'm tired of him being invisible to many

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm down for adding Saki!

Don't even know anything about him, and in fact, thought he was female, but I DON'T CARE!! LET'S ADD 'IM!!

That would mean an extra Assist Trophy slot! Maybe they could fill it with Slippy, haha.

Last edited:

Wooperish

Smash Rookie
Waddle Dee had a move set on Kirby's return to dreamland that was perfect for super smash bros brawl but he didn't get added, What my suggestion is to make him a playable character.
Up b would be the spear helicopter move, right/left b would be throwing spear, then if you held b for so long it would throw 3 spears instead of 1, down b would be the moon drop where Waddle Dee would twirl the spear downward, like he would in Kirby's return to dreamland.
His move set is perfect for super smash bros, how you played him in the game he was in originally in was when a player joined in he could play as Kirby, Metenight, King Dedede or Bandanna Waddle Dee the others got added why not have Project M add him too.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Waddle Dee had a move set on Kirby's return to dreamland that was perfect for super smash bros brawl but he didn't get added, What my suggestion is to make him a playable character.
Up b would be the spear helicopter move, right/left b would be throwing spear, then if you held b for so long it would throw 3 spears instead of 1, down b would be the moon drop where Waddle Dee would twirl the spear downward, like he would in Kirby's return to dreamland.
His move set is perfect for super smash bros, how you played him in the game he was in originally in was when a player joined in he could play as Kirby, Metenight, King Dedede or Bandanna Waddle Dee the others got added why not have Project M add him too.
Return to Dreamland was made 3 years after brawl...

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I had a feeling but in the newer games he wasn't added in them either.
Well the Kirby series does already have it's main cast in Smash, Bandana Dee is just an extra really. Plus against the other characters that were in competition for a spot :4megaman::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4duckhunt::4bowserjr: Bandana Dee didn't have much of a chance sadly

Last edited:

Wooperish

Smash Rookie
Well the Kirby series does already have it's main cast in Smash, Bandana Dee is just an extra really. Plus against the other characters that were in competition for a spot :4megaman::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4duckhunt::4bowserjr: Bandana Dee didn't have much of a chance sadly
That's why i'm here he has a chance here.

Wooperish

Smash Rookie
Please use commas, the Grammar Nazi inside of me is burning up.... It hurts so badly... Why...

If you're confused on when to use them, just do it whenever you pause in your sentence.
I'm sorry for my lack of commas, I quickly realized I left one out but just assumed it wouldn't be a big deal.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
meh, I'm not really against Bandanna Dee persay but there's just a lot of other characters I'd much rather see

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Haha, i recently played Sin & Punishment 2, so i started thinking how a character from S&P would fight in smash, and that idea just came to my head.

You know, if there's voting again i'm certainly changing and giving one to Saki, and maybe to more unrepresented franchises, like Golden Sun and Advance Wars too, it would be great to give these character a chance to shine in Smash.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Haha, i recently played Sin & Punishment 2, so i started thinking how a character from S&P would fight in smash, and that idea just came to my head.

You know, if there's voting again i'm certainly changing and giving one to Saki, and maybe to more unrepresented franchises, like Golden Sun and Advance Wars too, it would be great to give these character a chance to shine in Smash.
Cool! He would make PM so much more fun and cool than it already is. And It's funny because I care about him more than any Zelda character that can be put in...huh.

But I think the Golden Sun and Advance Wars characters already have enough votes already...so.
I dont know, Just a feeling.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Cool! He would make PM so much more fun and cool than it already is. And It's funny because I care about him more than any Zelda character that can be put in...huh.

But I think the Golden Sun and Advance Wars characters already have enough votes already...so.
I dont know, Just a feeling.
Golden Sun has plenty of votes, Issac is in the top 3 right now. Advance wars is lacking a bit though since Andy is like 7th-14th place I think

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm sorry for my lack of commas, I quickly realized I left one out but just assumed it wouldn't be a big deal.
The one time you thought it wouldn't be a big deal, it became a big deal. US GRAMMAR NAZIS ARE EVERYWHERE.
lololololol

Sami > Andy
Samus > Sandi
meh, I'm not really against Bandanna Dee persay but there's just a lot of other characters I'd much rather see
Unless I'm mistaken, other than the three characters already in Smash (obviously), he seems like the most recurring and popular from the Kirby franchise. Unless I'm proven otherwise? Yes, internet, that was a challenge.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I rather see Adeleine/Ado before Bandana Waddle Dee if we were going to get another Kirby rep.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
No, she's not. Adelaine deconfirmed..... :(
Poor Adelaine.
Meta Knight is already in the game.
Someone liked your comment, was it a joke? If it was, it went over my head. :(
If nay,
other than the three characters already in Smash (obviously)
WHICH REMINDS ME!! Galacta Knight is also a really popular Kirby character for whatever reason, though good luck finding a moveset for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom